What's new

CHOMP CHOMP HISS! - The Reptile Matchup Thread

How do you approach Kitana? Her fans kept me out, I was afraid to dash due to fear of being lifted into a largely unbreakable combo, her fan pokes are so fast and she can pressure. Also, the last time I checked, x-ray will not go through her fans due to them being two projectiles.

I fully underestimated a smart Mileena, also. D3 is a fast poke with good range, fuzzy blocking works like ass online btw. I should've punished those blocked telekicks with more throws.
try to block dash into F2 range. F2, acid hand is kitana kryptonite. After you land 1 acid hand keep the pressure on with another dash to stay on her, force her to block if she does a standup jump whiff, follow it with a dash get in stay in, EX acid hand goes through projectiles now remember that, and also if you find yourself stuck at range, spit my frend spit, you recover a tad slower than kitanas fans but not slow enough to let her block and counter.

MastererBetty

Your Tears My Strength
Getting in on Kitana is easy by timing a whiffed elbow dash into a immediate duck you can close the distance without getting hit by incoming fans. After she throws them in air or on ground elbow dash to duck will effectively close distance quickly.

Once in close you can safely do a cr.4 xx Acid Hand because cr.4 will go under fan lift. A wake up fan lift however will catch a cr.4 so it's better to wait to see what she does on wakeup or get a lucky hit with a crossup jump. When she starts doing the Square Boost move she can be punished by a chased down elbow dash.

When she does get in on Reptile and she will, it's best to just wait and block all her strings. They are fast and can beat all things on wakeup so just block stuff and put in a elbow dash during whiffed strings

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Nice stuff on Kitana guys!!

Id also like to add that you can NJP a Square Boost if you know its coming and go right into a combo.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
contrary to what a lot of people have said i think the sub zero matchup is one of the easiest if you dont rush him like an idiot. just wait and use fballs and hell run into them with the slide..
To me the hardest players are raiden, milieena just becaue her roll goes under the fb, scorpion because of his fire, and johnny care for reasons i cant understand lol

Soooooooo...I was noticing Ace blowing up everyone on stream tonight using Cyrax, including some very good Reptiles. What's our strategy against him? It seems like it's more or less impossible to zone Cyrax, so do we just have to CAREFULLY rush him down making sure we don't run into a net and his 56% 1-meter combo? I've had some problems with this matchup in the past.

I've been playing reptile since day one and have learned alot of shit. If you guys have a problem with any rush down characters like johnny cages or kungs even kanos and subs just bait them. Let them try to jump over your forceball because right after the first one cancel to an ex slow and let it grow you don't know how many time i have launched people into to the air by that move. I'm surprised I haven't seen that on here. also did you know you can just zone a kitana out then when she teleports dash that bitch. I fucking hate kanos csz and kabal i need help fighting those. Another good tip if your in close and are worried about getting x-rayed say by kano a crouching no block and your safe. So crouch d+4 till the x-ray comes out then stop the footsies. I have exscaped so many that way its not funny. I just need help with CSZ and punishing his dive kick with anything excepct a spit. I'll be in the MKU online tourny hope to see you there.

retic

Noob
need advice dealing with very aggro strings from Liu Kang, Kung Lao and Johnny Cage; almost feel helpless blocking :(

Is there a window where I can easily sneak a regular dash to nail them?

Thanks in advanced.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Is that with the new patch??? My friend mains Kitana and I use my xray just fine against her fan toss.
I'll try to test it out in the trainer, I think it depends on what range you use it. I've been hit out of it by Kano, as well, with the faster projectiles it seems to be a bit more of a variable in the event that you're hit with another.

RapZiLLa54

Patch finally hit xbox last night and I'm so damn happy I can finally play online and get actual matchup experience and become better at this game.

Played a Kitana last night and his Xray still goes through. Did it from a little out of jump in range.

I tried the same thing against a Kung Lao floor hat from about the same distance and he was able to recover in time to block...... Was pretty damn shocked.

Milk

Snake eyes
Soooooooo...I was noticing Ace blowing up everyone on stream tonight using Cyrax, including some very good Reptiles. What's our strategy against him? It seems like it's more or less impossible to zone Cyrax, so do we just have to CAREFULLY rush him down making sure we don't run into a net and his 56% 1-meter combo? I've had some problems with this matchup in the past.
Prolly' just careful rushdown more or less. I've not played a lot of good Cyrax's, but, Net's are his biggest tool, not only against Reptile, so as long as he don't let him tag us, we should be okay, sort of.

Prolly' just careful rushdown more or less. I've not played a lot of good Cyrax's, but, Net's are his biggest tool, not only against Reptile, so as long as he don't let him tag us, we should be okay, sort of.
I dunno, curious to hear what THTB thinks about that matchup, because he played him.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
They nerfed reptile's f+2,b+ 1 when done in corner!! or in general for extra air loops/ relunch .the f+2,b+1 effect will knock opponent to the ground unable-ing reptile to relaunch :S....so say bye bye to the old combo's style of f+2,b+1 corner combos cause it changed

that means maximum Rep corner cmbo WITH the use of 3 meters is around 45 %Tops!!:S .. and yes whether X ray or not!!

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
with x-ray max corner combo is 48% :coffee:
>_>.....ur very smart! as well as very cool with ur coffe emote...u should do it more often

let me rephrase. U cannot do f+2,b+1 x2 in a combo after a scale down with more than 45% tops in a corner due to f+2,b+1 knocking opponent to the ground...wether X ray or not, damage tops wont break 45% instead of being range of 53% up to 56%

:coffee: ...taste good

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I play it like Sub without clones. Just trade Fast Forceball with his nets, and punish his teleports with dashes. He doesn't have too much after that.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
So I definitely feel that Reptile is by far Baraka's toughest matchup. I played quite a bit against a few Reptiles at CEO, including Chris G's, and again on XBL/PSN. I feel like there is nothing Baraka can do against Reptile's rushdown. D+4 stuffs a lot of my wakeup options. Dash punishes any blocked unsafe string or blade charge. It even beats out my frame trap after 2, 2,1+2. The only move I can punish dash consistently with is blade charge. In fact it seems the ONLY time I can ever get any damage on Reptile is when I hit him with blade charge/ EN blade charge. Can any Reptiles give me more insight on this matchup?

BATTLEBEAR

NJ Jobber
They nerfed reptile's f+2,b+ 1 when done in corner!! or in general for extra air loops/ relunch .the f+2,b+1 effect will knock opponent to the ground unable-ing reptile to relaunch :S....so say bye bye to the old combo's style of f+2,b+1 corner combos cause it changed

that means maximum Rep corner cmbo WITH the use of 3 meters is around 45 %Tops!!:S .. and yes whether X ray or not!!
i was really addressing the latter and yes :coffee: tastes good. but alas it does suck that F+2 B+1 doesnt work but it wasnt exactly essential.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Reptile doesn't get much more damage for using meter tbh. He should never use meter for a combo unless he's going to finish the match.

Btw, I've forgone ending my combos with slide and just SFB or EX SFB if I have the meter. Works out sooooooooooo much better in a lot of cases. :)

BATTLEBEAR

NJ Jobber
Reptile doesn't get much more damage for using meter tbh. He should never use meter for a combo unless he's going to finish the match.

Btw, I've forgone ending my combos with slide and just SFB or EX SFB if I have the meter. Works out sooooooooooo much better in a lot of cases. :)
why exactly? Isn't the untechable knockdown from the slide pretty valuable? But did you mean slowball after a 3 2 to interrupt their wakeup?

because i like to use FFB. It will travel to them and put them in hitstun if they block, where follow up is easy with a elbow dash. slowball works after 321 if your looking for them to jump or make a read on their reaction

RapZiLLa54

If your opponent jumps toward you after 321 the sfball is guaranteed and you can juggle yet again. Or if they chill on the ground they have to block so you have a few options in this set up as well.

Ex sfball sets up anything you can think of and is practically a 1 meter combo breaker.

THTB what do you think of 321 Acid Spit. Ive been playing around with it, found a few cool follow ups that seem to only be avoidable if the opponent roll recovers.

MastererBetty

Your Tears My Strength
I've been ending combos with 321 EX SFB as well and it does lead to a lot of safe situations that puts your opponent at a disadvantage. Only problem I've been having with this is that teleporters can get out for free which makes applying pressure after the SFB difficult, but then again you can always try to read the escape and punish accordingly.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Ending with Forceball is definitely better, except for a few cases. That's pretty much all I do, unless I mess up and do Fast Forceball > Slow Forceball in the combo.

RapZiLLa54

I just wish the ball didn't deactivate itself once it passes the opponent. I've had a few situations where an opponent has jumped over the ball to which I'd welcome him with an uppercut sending him back landing on the ball and he just goes right through it :(