What's new

CHOMP CHOMP HISS! - The Reptile Matchup Thread

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. He's fine meterless, he's got tools, but, to really stand out, meter is required, for like chasing people down with charged forceballs, ex elbow, etc etc.

So you just do the bnb, then end it with a SFB to follow their knockdown? I usually just end mine with ex invis, but, I like it too. What BNB do you use now?

Also, cr+4 XX Green Hand is pretty safe, but not EVERY single time. I got tagged a lot trying it.
I use the same BnBs as before...just instead of slide, I replace it with SFB (invis if I'm close to the corner).

But yes, meter is required with Reptile. Luckily, the fact that he can use normal forceballs to play the projectile game makes it easier since he gains meter in the process.

Wenis of Lore

Celestial
They nerfed reptile's f+2,b+ 1 when done in corner!! or in general for extra air loops/ relunch .the f+2,b+1 effect will knock opponent to the ground unable-ing reptile to relaunch :S....so say bye bye to the old combo's style of f+2,b+1 corner combos cause it changed

that means maximum Rep corner cmbo WITH the use of 3 meters is around 45 %Tops!!:S .. and yes whether X ray or not!!
just putting it out there, but i'm assuming the advanced reptile community already knows this... you could get 43% in the corner using only one meter: jump-in punch, 3, 2, 1, acid hand, 3, 2, 1, EX acid hand, 3, 2, 1, slide

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Hey guys, I'm looking for a sparring partner that mains reptile after being knocked out of ECT by a really good reptile that I wasn't ready for.

Anyone interested? Let me know!
sure Pyrrhon, you can hit me up on PSN if you wanted. PSN: xxteefxx

THTB

Jade is gonna be one of those tough matchups for us, tbh. Glow eliminates a lot of Reptile's forceball tactics, and he is forced to get through u3 and b2 to get in her face. Not a serious advantage, I don't think, but definitely not gonna be one we can waltz through.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Any good pointers vs an advanced Kung Lao? I just don't know what to do in most cases because of the ground hat. Every combo is usually finished with it so you must block low and god forbid you jump you get spun and comboed into all hell. You can't xray it because he can recover on block. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

BATTLEBEAR

NJ Jobber
Any good pointers vs an advanced Kung Lao? I just don't know what to do in most cases because of the ground hat. Every combo is usually finished with it so you must block low and god forbid you jump you get spun and comboed into all hell. You can't xray it because he can recover on block. Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks!
EX-Greenhand if they are close enough. If they are a little bit further, crouch block. a little further neutral jump then advance. If fullscren jump in.

On a side note, even though he is my favorite, im not going to main him for while. At least until all the reptile hype dies down, Im going to be playing baraka. I feel like playing this character will help me learn more about the game by making it a little bit more challenging. And the amount of reptiles at ECT3 was ridiculous.

Milk

Snake eyes
EX-Greenhand if they are close enough. If they are a little bit further, crouch block. a little further neutral jump then advance. If fullscren jump in.

On a side note, even though he is my favorite, im not going to main him for while. At least until all the reptile hype dies down, Im going to be playing baraka. I feel like playing this character will help me learn more about the game by making it a little bit more challenging. And the amount of reptiles at ECT3 was ridiculous.
Lots of Reptiles cause he's an amazing character. Play who you feel man. Baraka is fun, but, he needs a lot of work to win with.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Reptile VS kung lao

I think it's a very Annoying matchup. At first i used to think it's like 7 -3 favored Kung lao. Latter on after knowin kung as well as the two major nerfs (4,2 EX hat) and (corner combos), kung lao can be somehow tolerable. I would say for now, the match is 4.5- 5.5 Kung favor. Exclude online matches if possible, online matches can make Kung lao matchup either 50/50 or 70/30 Kungs favor to be honest lol (depends on the player knowing that he can pressure and punish or not). here are my personal Opinion against Kung's Matchup.

What can reptile do against Kung:

The major problem to rep, is that Kung is very well balanced. He has a good air control, good offensive game, anti air, teleport mind games,Fireball game and good combos in general. Though, Leave Kung lao Far away and Rep is doomed! go recklessly offensive on Kung, and rep can eat Spins. So lets talk first about air game.

Air game:
-Kung lao Shuts reptile in air ofcourse, whether a jump in or forceball punish or even escape. Best solution i found so far is EX acid hands.it sometimes even escapes ground Regular Spins.
-Rep EX FB charged in place, can stuff in Kung lao's Dive kicks leading to combos.
-Other than that, your best answer is to force Kung to throw Projectiles from far away. Escaping dive kicks by Elbow dash is a good decision in most of the situations.

Ground game:
-Kung lao Projectile are nasty. This is were it shuts rep to zone in. Though a mistake kung lao's always do is teleport when rep get close! very wrong. Rep can simply Elbow dahs punish(ex) or escape.
-Wake up spin is REALLY annoying against rep. It shuts his non backed up EX SFB mix ups as well as punish severly. basically to counter that with rep, is Baiting those Spins. once you do, cr+4 Acid hands do wonders. Also cr+4 acid hand stuffs Regular spin if done from far distance.
-To counter Kung lao, As soon as you get a chance to knock him down force pressure by EX SFB mix ups. this will shut Kung lao from preforming any Spin on wake up. Also dont worry, Kung lao X ray doesnt help him escape EX SFB mix ups!
-his multiple hits combo is punishable by EX Elbow Dash or regular. though it hurts due to the massive Block string hit percentage! doesnt mean you can punish them after
-Dont ever jump aimlessly on Kung lao if your close by! Always EX SFB or stay far away. Spin owns rep, and dive kick is anti jump to jump.

Kung lao pressure:
-dont fall into 1,1,2 ~ spin trick on guard pressure! it's nasty. All wut kaung need to do is 1,2,2 and Med mix ups or a 1,1,2 pokes into throw/ spins. All i can tell u is,wish to god for him to throw instead (so rep can break it) or a god timing of EX ED or even a slight poke to get him off you and waste his spin by being blocked (or whiffed)
-other reason why his Strings into throw is nasty is because, they will put rep in 50/50 chance gussing. his throw is annoying were he can safely teleports to get closer.... ED can punish! which lead to Rep FB mix ups.
-IN general Kung lao's Offensive game is really good against rep and hard to escape. So it's a 50/50 chance of escape if your getting pressured.
-Remember one whiffed Spin and reptile and change the route.
-REP PLAYERS. DONT SPAM DASHS! kung always tries to bait Rep into doin regular ED. whether to block it or wait for you to jump and spin
-His two link kicks (i guess d+4,4?) can be punished! though watch the spin bait. EX ED can put u to safty. I believe Every kung like to use that in corner? it's nasty though
-Cr+4 ~ acid hand without backup is good WHEN HE DOESNT HAVE METER ONLY. also, Cr+4 stuff in, never stuff when in close! must be at range.

Projectile Game:
-Never play that with Kung lao's Unless you want them to teleport or dive kick! kung being offensive is way better than complete projectile spams. You can actually bait kung lao's teleport and even sometimes punish there Teleport 3 (the chain kick to combo), Fully charging EX FB will catch their leg , though not the EX Teleport version.
-Beside that, try to zone in close slowly forcing Kung to teleport or dive kick. Once they do, Elbow dash punish or escape. If they dive kicked then try next time to put an EX FB in.
-if you want to play fireball games, only when they bait one of two fireballs and then try to aimlessly get close by dive kicks! this is when you take control with regular FB, EX Fb for combos (and re mix up with EX SFB after) or Acid spit. all of those can help you in gettin closer to kung lao.

Over all Kung weakness:

-Chars that turtles and far away zoners. Like Kabal! The reaosn in my opinion is the Air fireball and good ground game. I guess Kitana and cyrax as well can do really good jump against Kung.

This matchup is toward kungs favor in my opinion...Hopefully i will leanr more stuff that will make this match up not as bad as i might think. Though one important point to rep players. This is a complete ground baiting game! patiency is the key.

EXTRA:THANK GOD they removed Kung lao's Ground hat spin into Teleport mix up! cause it was nasty. though this fact that it can be used in a combo, is way annoying. For rep to escape it is simply play dead and roll away or EX slide at correct timing on teleports.
* the kung mix up used to be, spin, jump kick~ dive kick, f+3 ~ EX ground hat (hold button)~ Teleport and then release button(2 to throw hat) and press 4 .
Now it changed to
Spin, Jump kick~ dive kick, dash in 2~ EX ground hat (hold button) / Teleport (release 2)

That's all wut i have for now. I am currently still learning the match.

thnx for reading

* i posted that on MKU. i think this matchup is very annoying...i would rate it 6-4 kungs favor or 4.5 - 5.5 Kungs favor. it's hard. All depend on baiting Kung to whiff and bait his fail SPins and teleport! that would be rep's major concern. It's like Ryu in SSF4! force him to Shoryu and fail reverse of fail footsies , once they discovered they fail at these attempts they will stop using such moves! once they do that, Put the pressure on.

Same thing exactly, applies to Kung!

THTB

For sure it's a 6-4. Reptile just struggles and can't really play his game.

Has the Raiden matchup been discussed on here? I personally find it a bit rough.

A monotonous (but good) Raiden will get full screen and spam projectiles. If I try to zone back, they get a teleport and free combo (or just superman which overrides all my projectiles). I can't seem to elbow dash in between the projectiles, and if I jump I eat a superman. They can do a standard throw/string/superman mixup after their teleports, and for every teleport that I read correctly and input elbow dash backwards to punish, two will end up with me eating a throw or superman. I have difficulty getting close enough to even do a blockstring, and when I do half the time they'll teleport right before the string starts, then combo me as I'm doing moves toward the opposite direction.

My Reptile tends to have the most trouble against people who can effortlessly outzone him, and Raiden is one of the worst. It feels almost impossible for me to apply any sort of pressure to him, thanks to teleport and superman. I know we can do an elbow dash in the middle of one of his strings, but the Raidens I have trouble with don't even bother. They just poke, throw, and superman with an occasional string, and I find that if I don't block (which is needed in order to punish teleport), I often can't react to superman in time, even from 3/4 screen. Anyone have any advice for this matchup?

Wenis of Lore

Celestial
i think i remember someone saying that if you can anticipate the teleport, jump backwards and do a jump kick. your character will then auto correct and kick raiden when he appears..... or something like that.

Yeah, if I can read his Raiden well, I can punish the teleport, but when he mixes it up with projectiles, if I make a wrong read I get hit with a projectile (jump kick/backwards elbow dash) or superman (duck without blocking/jump kick) or teleport -> throw (block), and the Raiden player has a lot of opportunity to pressure me with projectiles and see what I'm going to do.

Wenis of Lore

Celestial
Yeah, if I can read his Raiden well, I can punish the teleport, but when he mixes it up with projectiles, if I make a wrong read I get hit with a projectile (jump kick/backwards elbow dash) or superman (duck without blocking/jump kick) or teleport -> throw (block), and the Raiden player has a lot of opportunity to pressure me with projectiles and see what I'm going to do.
you might have answered part of the question already! ducking without blocking means he can't grab you when he teleports(that's what most raidens do), you'll go under the projectiles he throws, but you'll probably have to block the supermans on reaction.... i'm not an expert on raiden though, but reading what you wrote had it occur to me that ducking without blocking can avoid a teleport + grab.

Wenis of Lore

Celestial
Let's talk about Kenshi please. Since everyone is obsessed with him right now i've been playing a lot of Kenshi opponents. Most inexperienced, but i've played a few people with a ton of wins who seem to already have mastered him(granted there is a lot of info on him right now and these people i play with are damn good MK players not just with Kenshi). I know part of my struggle is cause he's a new character and we just need to learn how to deal with him. But long story short he can completely ruin your pressure with projectiles since he recovers so fast from his reflection move, and his spirit shoulder is..... well the damn thing is broken(grain of :salty:)! You can't get inside at all unless you got lucky with a JIP( if he blocks that and you end the string with an acid hand to make it "safe", here comes spirit shoulder). Or if you do an EX acid hand(without combo string but use the armor to absorb spirit shoulder.... it"s wasted meter). But from what i can see as Reptile, the spirit shoulder Kenshi has trumps about everything. You can't even slide under it, which is horrible for Subzero and Reptile players. I mean come on, Kenshi is like pissing in the face of Nightwolf mains. You can duck under Nightwolfs shoulder dash and follow up with an uppercut etc, but not Kenshis(he's not even there but it hits high AND low). Even Reptile can be poked/low slide out of an elbow dash if timed right... and to top that off, Kenshis full screen game is WAY better than Nightwolfs with his telefurry and overhead slash(which are practically instant). Whats that you say? He doesn't need to use meters? Well how about that! I'm wasting meters all day but Kenshi doesn't need to use any meters to get total domination and huge combos. I know they'll eventually patch him, but does anybody have any personal tips atm? Invisibility seems to be my best tool so far against pro Kenshi players..... until the infallible spirit shoulder that is :)
Don't get me wrong, i'm not hatin'. I'm talking about really really good Kenshi players here. Personally i think Kenshi is fun and has a boatload of potential. But i, and one godlike Kenshi player i've talked/played with, will admit that he needs some smoothing over.

And please, i know everyone is on Kenshis dick right now, so don't take this post as a personal attack cause i'm having trouble with your boyfriend. I don't want a bunch of "well you just suck, kenshi is boss lolz" comments. I know he's sweet(and a little broken). I just want tips at this point. Thanks!

McNasty

Moist.
How do you guys handle noob? I feel like reptile is at an advantage in most of his matchups due to him forcing the opponent to block more due to elbow dash but against noob the tables turn. So far all I can think of is baiting out the up shoulder to punish and getting close enough to do a late JK over a clone. Is ex greenhand useful in this matchup for getting in?

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
How do you guys handle noob? I feel like reptile is at an advantage in most of his matchups due to him forcing the opponent to block more due to elbow dash but against noob the tables turn. So far all I can think of is baiting out the up shoulder to punish and getting close enough to do a late JK over a clone. Is ex greenhand useful in this matchup for getting in?
I'm not much of a Reptile player but some universal advice for countering Noob is once you get close to the point where he wants to start pressuring with up shadows you want to counter that with cr.3's.

If you aren't incorporating cr.1's and 3's into your game to cover holes in your offense and to poke your opponent out of pressure you aren't playing the game right.

get close enough and bait up shadows as soon as they whiff: Elbow Dash!! I think you can also (after a whiffed up shadow) cr+4xxEX acid Hand as well

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Kenshi's Spirit Charge is punishable at closer ranges by Reptile's elbow dash. The Spirit Charge is no anti-air when used early, but you open yourself to Kenshi's d,b+1 when jumping forward. The Tele-Fury can be crouched and the overhead slashes are too slow. Reptile should be able to close the distance rather quickly with the elbow dash. Most of the fight should take place at mid range, and I honestly don't see Reptile losing this match up. Skarlet is much, much, much worse.

TrickyNick

Weather Man
I think reptile will have a hard time against kenshi mainly for him making it so hard for reptile to get in. Alot of reptiles like to use forceballs to advance and elbow dash behind but kenshi negates that fairly easy. Just my thoughts on it

Wenis of Lore

Celestial
Kenshi's Spirit Charge is punishable at closer ranges by Reptile's elbow dash. The Spirit Charge is no anti-air when used early, but you open yourself to Kenshi's d,b+1 when jumping forward. The Tele-Fury can be crouched and the overhead slashes are too slow. Reptile should be able to close the distance rather quickly with the elbow dash. Most of the fight should take place at mid range, and I honestly don't see Reptile losing this match up. Skarlet is much, much, much worse.
I've never played a sweet skarlett yet, but i'm sure you're right. I still disagree though that i can punish kenshi with an elbow-dash(as often as i can with other characters). As much as i would like to, his spirit shoulder is ridiculous. I know about ducking under the tele-fury, but as soon as i try to close the distance after a wiffed tele-fury by kenshi, BAM spirit shoulder. It even dominates on wake-up. I think this is going to be a hard match-up for reptile given the fact kenshi has all those tools and almost completely destroys our projectile game.

I think reptile will have a hard time against kenshi mainly for him making it so hard for reptile to get in. Alot of reptiles like to use forceballs to advance and elbow dash behind but kenshi negates that fairly easy. Just my thoughts on it
your thoughts, and my reality :) must come up with a different approach for kenshi.... ideas? At first i thought EX slide, but spirit shoulder hits low.

Anybody else got any tips? Theres tons of info on how to use Kenshi, but none on how to stuff him.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Wenis of Lore said:
I've never played a sweet skarlett yet, but i'm sure you're right. I still disagree though that i can punish kenshi with an elbow-dash(as often as i can with other characters). As much as i would like to, his spirit shoulder is ridiculous. I know about ducking under the tele-fury, but as soon as i try to close the distance after a wiffed tele-fury by kenshi, BAM spirit shoulder. It even dominates on wake-up. I think this is going to be a hard match-up for reptile given the fact kenshi has all those tools and almost completely destroys our projectile game.
How can you punish Kenshi's Spirit Charge better with other characters when Reptile's elbow dash is the fastest attack in the game? Anyway, you will obviously have to block a couple, perhaps even several, Spirit Charges at max range before you can do some damage inside. There is no "win button". As far as wake up is concerned, cross up Kenshi and all of his wake up attacks will whiff. Kenshi's cross up defense is weak and Reptile has the tools to take advantage of it. At the moment, the match up is even and Kenshi is not broken.

retic

Noob
I have problems dealing with "rarely used" characters. :(

Granted, I play mostly online but I'm getting ready for an offline tourney on Aug.

Last night, got owned by a good player usign Jax and Sheeva.

As Jax, I have problems dealing with f4 mixups (f4,1,3/4 or f4, du4), and learned the hard way that superman punch > elbow dash.

As sheeva, I find it very hard to escape the teleport stomp/ground stomp after she does this ex grab move where she poudns you and then throws you across the screen and after she does that big boot move (f4?). In addition, I find it embarassing that I can easily knock out goro/kintaro out of their tele stomp moves but for reasons unknown, can't do it against Sheeva :(

Questions:

1) Can Reptile punish Jax when he's doing those f4 mixups?
2) is the superman punch of Jax duckable? Punishable by uppercut?
3) blocked elbow smash (du4); punishable? or is there a small window I can knock him out of it? I hate the block stagger :(
4) Any advice on the tele stomp/ground stomp tactics I described earlier?
5) Or do I need not worry as these are "online only" shenanigans taht I could easily escape/punish offline?

Thanks for the help... :)

Wenis of Lore

Celestial
How can you punish Kenshi's Spirit Charge better with other characters when Reptile's elbow dash is the fastest attack in the game? Anyway, you will obviously have to block a couple, perhaps even several, Spirit Charges at max range before you can do some damage inside. There is no "win button". As far as wake up is concerned, cross up Kenshi and all of his wake up attacks will whiff. Kenshi's cross up defense is weak and Reptile has the tools to take advantage of it. At the moment, the match up is even and Kenshi is not broken.
i appreciate you giving the tip about the cross-up to shut down his wake-up options. good idea! but i'm not so sure that when he's not in wake-up, that his cross up game is weak. he's still got the rising karma move(db1) that leads into a combo AND telekinetic slash(db4). yes i do agree with the fact that reptile's elbow dash is fast as hell. i understand what you mean, and blocking the spirit shoulder goes without saying. but i think people give the elbow dash too much credit(it's no "win button" either:ninja:). especially in this instance. even if it's fast, the character himself(reptile) is running INTO the spirit shoulder(much like a SZ ice-clone. maybe some dashes would tag, but for the most part it's a bad idea). you ask what other characters could punish kenshis spirit shoulder better.... i assume maybe teleporting characters, or somebody like ermac(really don't know since i only play with reptile) could just mid-screen grab him or lift him or whatever after a blocked spirit shoulder. something like that would seem better to me than running into it. but i digress, this is a reptile thread lol. i'm certainly not looking for a "win button", nor am i trying to spark a convo about if kenshi is broken(sorry about the rant above. didn't mean to troll. but imo, he is a tiiiny bit broken. example: his spirit shoulder should be duckable like cages shadow kick and jax or nightwolfs forward dash attacks. it even says it's a "high" attack) everyone is gonna have their own opinions!

for real though, i just want to know how other reptiles are approaching him. :reptile: