What's new

Character you never thought you'd play, but now play

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
I like to try everyone out at first,it takes me about a year to finally settle on a couple of characters.
I tend to gravitate more to characters that have either a special or a string that I can threaten with from mid range because my footsies are fucking shite and I'm a coward.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Injustice: Bane
Marvel vs Capcom 3: Ryu, Arthur, MODOK
KOF 13: Vice
Neo Geo Battle Colisseum: Lee Pai Long
SFxTekken : Hugo
SF4: Zangief

haketh

Noob
Only one I can think of is Azreal in BB, I hated playing him at first till I realized he covers the Match Ups I can't stand in BB, he turned out to be pretty fun, and hey AmanexAzreal is damn cute.

eNARV

Capital Punishment
Never thought I would play stryker in mk9 lmao (I dont think anyone does haha) but he fits my style and i love his gun cancelling, same with kabal and jax. I wanted to main Flash day 1 but never happened and Never thought I would main Green Lantern...then ended up maining him. I guess its true when they say 'You dont pick your main, your main picks you.' :)

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Good topic man.
Personally I get attached to a character I want to play.
Like with Injustice I said Shazam and even though I played others he was the one I turned to most of the time.
but with MKX it's hard to say, where as you have old characters returning there are brand new ones who look great and with each one they all look playable, I say I want to main Kotal but even I may budge when the game is out.

interesting question. i never thought i could be able to play guilty gear. but after one year of playing i am able lol (still beginner)

Mr_Swizzer

OUTCAST
I never set out to play Kabal but once I experienced the speed & rush of playing him it's addictive, I also had some good mentors around me at the time to keep me strait.

I started with Shazam on Injustice with no intention to play Superman, But someone had to show the world F23 instead of lasers :)

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Never thought I'd be playing Subzero in MK9 since Scorpion has always been my favorite since I was a little kid. But, truth be told, I always used them both. Just never thought my liking for sub would end up the dominant one.

Last edited:

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Green Lantern. I used to hate playing against him because I couldn't jump and thought he was op lol, but now I see he's just a regular character with 7-3 match ups like a lot of the cast.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I told myself when I played the Injustice demo that I wouldn't play a floaty character ever.

Not only did I main Green Lantern day 1, I now currently main Wonder Woman.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I played Doomsday toward the end of Injustice.

I typically do not play characters of this nature. He was the only one I felt like I understood tiny particles of the game with.

I was so bad :(

My main styles are Grapplers, and huge punishers. From KI to Tekken to MK, my character usually was either throwing your ass, or punishing mistakes for HUGE damage.

Then they nerfed SZ............ :(

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
I never thought I was gonna play injustice in the first place cause I sucked at fighting games so I never had a main in mind until I opened the character select screen and saw who to choose from. I chose Flash cause I've always like the character but at the time I didn't want a main at all. I just wanted to fool around with a bunch of characters. After having fun with a large portion of the cast, I found myself gravitating towards Flash when I started going to tournaments and after he got his buffs the decision was much easier to main him.

In SSBB I played around with basically everyone but something about Lucas made him the most enjoyable character for me. I never knew who he was before playing smash and I still don't really know anything about the character but I love using him in SSBB. I really want him to come to Smash 3DS as DLC.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
When MK9 came out, I was ready to main Noob Saibot and have Ermac as my secondary. I dropped Noob Saibot immediately as, even when he is my favourite character I did not like his playstyle. Ermac became my main for a few months until I finally dropped him in favour of Johnny Cage, which was unexpected as I had never liked him before this game. Both Sindel and Sheeva were my main secondary chars, until after more than a year into the game I picked Sektor who ended up replacing Sheeva. Funny cause I always favoured the yellow Cyborg instead. I still like to play with several characters, not only those 3, but they are the ones I use the most and 2 of them were pretty surprising to me.

With Injustice I started maining Aquaman as I loved him since his trailer was revealed, but I started getting a bit bored of his playstyle and ended up switching to Lex, who has been my main since.

Last edited:

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
MK9- Baraka, Sindel, and Raiden. I always picked ninjas prior to MK9 but I clicked with those characters more than most. Especially Baraka.

SF- Before I played SSF2THDR I thought Blanka looked silly and out of place but I started using him because he was silly. Little did I know he had the tools to strengthen my weaknesses.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
its really how the playstyle influenciates the game, as longs as there is a mixup game with the character that can be dificult to block and really hard to use those are generaly the characters i go with.

In SF and tekken i play a female ninja who heavely depends of vortex and has really strong mixups out of a knockdown, Ibuki and Kunimitsu share this similarity.

In MK9 Skarlet adapted more to my style because she was a character that had a strong neutral and oki game, aside from her natural capability of very fast meter building game.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Shazam. I usually main bad guys and hate the goody-two-shoes characters so thought I'd hate Shazam, tried him out and realised he was the most fun character to use by far!

No surprises in any other game MK have always gone to Ermac and Kenshi since Deception and SF went straight to Akuma and didn't look back.

mfkaoz

Banned
I had no idea who the fuck Shazam even was before Injustice. I got the game thinking I'd play Joker but I hated the feel of him. Shazam just felt right like it was comfortable to use him and I haven't looked back.

As far as Smash goes I NEVER thought I'd use Pit because I fucking HATED fighting him. I ended up learning him and he quickly became my favorite character.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Alisa Bosconovitch from Tekken 6/tag 2.

I looked at her in Tekken 6 and it made me sick. Such a stupid design, I thought. Such a dumb character. Then I started messing around with her to learn the matchup....and she was so much fun. And her d/b+3 was arguably the best low poke in T6.

So yeah, it's definitely her.

E

Eldriken

When I got the game, I went straight into Practice and starting fiddling with the female characters because I generally always play a female character in fighting games. Kitana, Orchid, etc.

I started off with Raven, then Hawkgirl, then Harley, then Wonder Woman, then Frost and finally Catwoman. Catwoman was my main about 20 minutes after fiddling around with her. I'm pretty good about being a character loyalist and had no desire to learn another character. After a few months of playing, I started to get bored with her and entered a character crisis. I was ready to stop playing the game and go back to playing MK. Well, VxG had just recently ended and I watched the Grand Finals and saw PL blow up Chris G with Doomsday. I was immediately intrigued with how Doomsday played and picked him up.

I never thought I would play Doomsday because I hated fighting him when playing Ranked/Player Matches. Well...here I am, still playing Doomsday and enjoying the game a hell of a lot more than I did when playing Catwoman.