What's new

Character you never thought you'd play, but now play

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
Hey everyone,

Just a topic of discussion some friend and I were talking about the other day, and I wanted to hear your thoughts and input!

We all predict what characters we want to play before a Fighting game comes out, some of us are absolutely dead set on who we want to play day 1, and in some cases the only character we will ever use, but sometimes there are exceptions, when you're convinced you wanna play character A for the longest time, then comes launch day and it turns out character A just plays absolutely nothing like you hoped, and are now going for character B, if you catch my drift.

This doesn't necessarily have to be NRS fighters, can be any fighter this has happened to you with :)

Discuss!

For me this was Raiden( When I was a kid, and I would button mash on my SNES, I always used to pick raiden).
So naturally I was excited to play him when I got MK9 for the first time, however when I played him I got disgusted, I didn't like his style at all and his playstyle didn't fit my playstyle aswell.

I was lost and was just trying out every char in the game, trying to find someone I like. For some reason I always disliked cyrax in the old MK's, he was like this robot that didn't fit in with all the ninjas etc.

Obviously when I start playing new games I start searching for contents/streams etc online for it to learn more about the game. I then went on to watch the evo 2013 top8. After the top 8 and grandfinals, I fell inlove with DJT's cyrax. It was just very mindblowing to watch the resets and huge combos being done for the first time, I was intrigued and motivated cause of that and picked cyrax up.

Now all I play is cyrax allday, everyday, and some rain here and there.

That's my story:REO

RiverHB

Noob
I was never a big Sonya user until MK9. Didn't plan on using her, didn't at the beginning, but eventually that D4, Military Stance, Armored Kartwheel...you know the drill. She was too much fun to not use.

Also, I never liked Balrog until I played SFIV. Back in the early '90s, I thought he was pretty meh. Picked him one day against my friend online and he became my favorite SFIV character.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Johnny Cage, his MK9 revamp definitely made him more interesting to me, and the sound of the nutpunch cracking testicles, one of my all time favourite sounds, its my text alert.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
I remember seeing Scorpions reveal in Injustice and thinking I was set on using Bane throughout Injustice's competitive lifetime.

Then the last big patch hit and I just stopped having fun using him, and now I just use Scorpion through and through, such a breath of fresh air being able to use such a nimble character in comparison.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
Johnny Cage, his MK9 revamp definitely made him more interesting to me, and the sound of the nutpunch cracking testicles, one of my all time favourite sounds, its my text alert.
And you using WONDER WOMAN is something you thought would always happen? :tonyt

Error

DF2+R2
I always thought Sonya was lame as hell, but no one really played her in early MK9. As soon as I faced my first decent Sonya online I was curious about her move-set, took her to training mode and was hooked from there.

In Injustice I never really expected to like Bane, considering I'm not too fond of Batman characters, but he was fun from the beginning, even though I never got good with him he was fun as hell to play.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Umm... no one actually. I know who I'm going to play as soon as I see them, and I've never deviated from my initial selection. Is that weird?

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
Sentinel in MVC3, I hated that he was in the game because I felt his spot could've gone to someone more interesting, also in the beginning I thought he was overpowered (Hey a lot of people did!) but then his assist just helped so much with my play style that I started putting him on my teams and when I played him I realized he was a lot of fun, now he's my favorite character, too bad you don't see him much these days.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
Played Lex in the demo and HATED him. He was so freaking slow and clunky and I'm like "ha. no."

Fast forward a few months and he's the most fun character to play in Injustice. Go figure

Killusion

Stream addict
Lobo. Never was a big Lobo fan when I read comics, so I ignored him when he first got released. After the great buff patch I decided to try him out because I was bored of playing Flash, and I fell in love.
I love command grabs, shotguns and big dammy™. Still not a fan of the character, but his playstyle fits mine perfecly and he is so fun to play.

Plop

Noob
Hwoaramg was always my favorite Tekken character, mainly cod I fancy the pants off him. I used to use him in T3 when all I used to do was button mash., but when I decided to learn how to play Tekken properly I could never get to grips with him.
So I've used Jacks ever since lol

In Injustice I had my heart set on Joker. I've got no problem maining low tier characters. I main Kano in MK9. Just don't like the way Joker plays at all, so stuck with Harley instead

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
I never thought I'd play Jax, I always liked Reptile as a kid. Also Orchid in KI, never really like female characters in fighting games but shes really fun.

Art

Grave_Intent
Street Fighter I always picked Fe-Long until SSF4 then for some odd reason I got hooked on grapplers, ever sense then I play T.Hawk and with his new buffs he's awesome!

in MK I always picked Scorpion, until MK 3 then I switched to Ermac then in MK9 I went all grappler weird and picked Sheeva then Quan Chi.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
In the build up to the release of Injustice I was dead set on Catwoman being my main but when released I didn't really enjoy playing as her. I used WoWo a little in the demo and wasn't that impressed but decided to switch to her in the full game and never looked back since.

In every other game I'm a character loyalist regardless of how good/bad they are. Maxi in Soul Calibur, Ken is SF and Mileena in MK.