What's new

Capcom is delisting Marvel digitally...could NRS have the Marvel license?

Capcom is delisting Marvel stuff. Do you think this means Marvel may be going to NRS?

• Yes

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 39 72.2%

• Total voters
This will never happen.
NRS is owned by WB, marvel is not going to let DC create stories with marvel characters.
Marvel can't have DC diminishing their characters.
is was hard for nrs to get DC property, I can't imagine how hard is going to be to get marvel property.
That was my immediate first thought as well...but then someone pointed out there's already a precedent for this since Warner Bros. interactive are the publishers for Lego Marvel. This is not so far fetched.

d3v

SRK
Please no. As much as I enjoy Injustice, NRS' engine is pretty spotty when it comes to being a decent 2D fighting game engine. A Marvel fighting game would not be the same unless it retained the alot of what was created in Capcom's Marvel games.

Error

DF2+R2
I'm up for someone else taking a crack at a Marvel fighter, but at the same time Marvel has this horrible tendency to make their fighters 3D arenas, which are pretty meh (see: Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects & EA's cancelled Marvel fighter).
Honestly, Rise of the Imperfects was pretty good game, it just felt incomplete. I liked it's darker atmosphere and story mode was fun, I just don't think they had competitive fighter in mind when making it. Now that I think of it, it is pretty similar to injustice.

trufenix

bye felicia
Imperfects is a miserable excuse for a game that can be enjoyed on no level for longer than about 20 minutes. It is NOTHING like Injustice.

And for the record, there's no reason this can't happen. Lego Marvel being done by an in-house WB developer and published under the WB Interactive banner is proof that either disney and wb have put aside the dc / marvel bitterness of old, or one of them has finally decided profit is more important than pride. The rampant success of Injustice and Arkham can only have gotten these guys hungry for more gamer dollars and buffed wb's development stock.

That being said, using Capcom delisting Marvel as evidence is an insane leap of logic, even if it turns out to be true.

KiD INsAnitY

Z of The Leaf -Team R.A.N
I would actually want NRS to create this over Capcom.....NRS makes GREAT storylines to their fighters so you can alrdy count on a crazy fun story mode and they make more serious feeling fighters MVC is fun and all but its just to flashy and alot of BROKEN shit going on at one time.. I still feel it was made for ages 10 to 16 but anyway with them being broke and all I doubt they will be able to even produce it and I think NRS has learned enough from MK9 and INJ about balancing and shit of that nature to create a fairly good MvDC game... Hulk vs Doomsday? BlackAdam vs Thor? Deadpool vs Deathstroke? Avengers vs JL? lol Shit would be great...

This will never happen.
NRS is owned by WB, marvel is not going to let DC create stories with marvel characters.
Marvel can't have DC diminishing their characters.
is was hard for nrs to get DC property, I can't imagine how hard is going to be to get marvel property.
No such attitude exists between these companies - Marvel doesn't look at DC as a cesspit their characters should not touch and vice versa. Marvel generally has better movies than DC (Catwoman and Green Lantern were awful), but DC has been getting better at it. There's mutual respect between the two companies.

I think the reason this hasn't happened is not because the companies hate each other, but because they hate money- and are frightened about the mountains upon mountains of money they might be drowned in as a result of doing a Marvel vs DC game. :)

Sami

Noob
Also, when slagging off NRS for Injustice can we at least do it based on the most recent patch which is actually really damned good?

Many years ago I couldn't imagine Marvel vs. DC happening. The thing is, there is SO MUCH MONEY to be made from this now both brands have fully broken out of the comics and into mainstream media (yes the odd character has done so before, but not like now with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, X-Men film revival, new Superman, Nolan's Batman films, etc) that pride kinda gets pushed to the side. Both sides would hugely benefit from it both in terms of exposure and money.

A less world-shattering option is that NRS could just make a pure Marvel fighting game. I don't think there's been a good pure-Marvel game for years upon years: DC gets the Arkham series, Marvel gets Deadpool lol

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
No such attitude exists between these companies - Marvel doesn't look at DC as a cesspit their characters should not touch and vice versa. Marvel generally has better movies than DC (Catwoman and Green Lantern were awful), but DC has been getting better at it. There's mutual respect between the two companies.

I think the reason this hasn't happened is not because the companies hate each other, but because they hate money- and are frightened about the mountains upon mountains of money they might be drowned in as a result of doing a Marvel vs DC game. :)
am not talking about hate.
at some point in the game they are going to fight each other, marvel is not going to want DC characters to be winning marvel.
the only way for this to happen is if DC gets complete and absolute power over marvel, which is not very likely.

trufenix

bye felicia
am not talking about hate.
at some point in the game they are going to fight each other, marvel is not going to want DC characters to be winning marvel.
the only way for this to happen is if DC gets complete and absolute power over marvel, which is not very likely.
That is an absurd line of logic. Nobody is going to tank a multimillion dollar video game deal because some writer gets butthurt about captain america jobbing to the question. At the very least, they will force the writers to craft some absurd stalemate or team up plot similar to MKvDC, or they'll write something up like MvC3 that literally has no fucking story. Either way, the needs of the writers are damned near the bottom of the reasons why this wouldn't work / happen.

trufenix

bye felicia
Also, when slagging off NRS for Injustice can we at least do it based on the most recent patch which is actually really damned good?
Do not question the trolls ability to tear down a game it cannot resist the urge to follow. If sales figures, continued competitive support, and a world of accolades have not yet swayed them, nothing will.

I don't think there's been a good pure-Marvel game for years upon years: DC gets the Arkham series, Marvel gets Deadpool lol
To be fair, Injustice, Arkham and the Lego games have been quite the anomalies for all licensed comic properties. You might say their success with video games is just karma for Marvel's success in film.

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.
I'd only be excited for this if NRS goes completely away from their grimdark 2 edgy 4 u approach to character design and makes the movement exciting.

Also, no block button.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Combofiend's tease on the marvel stream seems to not really be anything at all so far. At Capcom Cup all thats been announced was 3v3 KOF style team stuff in USF4...no Marvel announcements in spite of what folks thought. Its at least looking certain Marvel and Capcom are going away.

Yeah but LBSH Nrs are horrible at making fighting games just look at injustice... lets hope this doesnt happen.
Depends on what you mean by horrible. NRS makes very accessible games that appeal to the casuals (The majority of the people that buy games). They are usually fun games, have story modes and a bunch of other things. They make products that sell, period, regardless of how simplistic half assed and flawed their games are. I don't think they cater strictly to the FGC, I think their objective is to make a product every random joe can enjoy and make some major money. It seems to me that their objective is not to make a game that "lasts" rather than make a game that sells, then move on to the next project. It's smart business if you ask me.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Lego Marvel Super Heroes is a very unique case.

Lego is a 3rd party that is neutral, but has a very strong relationship with Travelers Tales(the people that make all the lego licensed games), who are owned by Warner Brothers. WB/TT also probably have the Lego video game license on lockdown.

Marvel and Lego have a working relationship and they make physical Marvel Lego pieces.

It's a weird perfect storm of circumstances, and Lego being the defining factor in how the game got made.

Disney has very little internal video game studios, and there strategy is to license their IP's out, like Star Wars and EA. So Disney might be a bit more open the the whole thing.

Warner Brothers on the other hand, it makes very little business sense for them to bother licensing IP's, they have a huge catalog of IP's they own and can milk. I could see NRS making a LoTR's fighting game before I see them making a Marvel one.

Never say never, but the chance of it happening is very VERY tiny.

trufenix

bye felicia
Depends on what you mean by horrible. NRS makes very accessible games that appeal to the casuals (The majority of the people that buy games). They are usually fun games, have story modes and a bunch of other things. They make products that sell, period, regardless of how simplistic half assed and flawed their games are. I don't think they cater strictly to the FGC, I think their objective is to make a product every random joe can enjoy and make some major money. It seems to me that their objective is not to make a game that "lasts" rather than make a game that sells, then move on to the next project. It's smart business if you ask me.
Can we please stop dropping expressions like "simplistic half assed and flawed" about games that sell gang busters and get played competitively for years. By what standard are you holding them? What are these magical "good" games? KoF13? TTT2? SF4? Or some other game based on a 20 year old pedigree that's had more meaningless incremental releases than there are james bond movies?

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
Capcom did not "lose" the rights to Marvel. It expired like every other contract. Doesn't mean they cannot get it back or won't get it back. They are just unable to sell the game anymore because they setup a contract royalty expiration date on their item just like TvC.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I'm up for someone else taking a crack at a Marvel fighter, but at the same time Marvel has this horrible tendency to make their fighters 3D arenas, which are pretty meh (see: Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects & EA's cancelled Marvel fighter).

Marvel vs. DC... it's one of those insane dreams we all have which will likely never occur. Although Marvel and DC have done crossover comics in the past I doubt they would do it again. It would be impossibly successful as well, like you could print money forever.
I played the shit out of marvel nemesis. I mained Solaris. that was the most brokenly fun game ever