What's new

Capcom is delisting Marvel digitally...could NRS have the Marvel license?

Capcom is delisting Marvel stuff. Do you think this means Marvel may be going to NRS?

• Yes

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 39 72.2%

• Total voters

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
I wasn't certain where this thread should go because its a speculation thread that relates to Injustice and Marvel. Move it if needed other mods.

Here's the deal...Capcom is delisting Marvel vs Capcom DLC.
The last day DLC content for these titles will be available is:

- 12/17 for PSN in North America

- 12/19 for PSN in Europe

The last day DLC content for these titles will be available is:

- 12/17 for PSN in North America

- 12/19 for PSN in Europe

- 12/26 for XBLA globally

Why is this news to us? Well here is the thing...Boon has teased us before if someone inevitably brought up Marvel vs DC as a thing NRS should do. We know he's for it, but we know Boon is also a tease. However, we know WB studios has had Marvel sniffing around them a LOT lately looking for a new way to monetize their product in games. Marvel Lego is doing well and considering MVC lost money and that its being delisted its obvious Capcom has lost the license.

With Injustice getting Fighting game of the Year, with its sales that are STILL continuing to grow with Ultimate and all the attention its had with the comic being a literal New York Time's Best Seller its quite possible that Marvel has taken notice of this and may finally be willing to go in on the joint venture of the millenium that comic book fans have dreamed of.

Its all just speculation. All we do know is that its looking solid that Capcom has lost the Marvel license due to the delistings.

So weigh in folks...do you think this is a sign that the Marvel License may be meeting up with the Injustice Universe soon since it appears to be leaving Capcom and Marvel seems to be enjoying WB studios?

Lok0xXxSn1per5

I'll Freeze Those Salty Tears!
How many copies did marvel sell and how many injustice? All 6 months ultimate edition updates included?

Sami

Noob
How many copies did marvel sell and how many injustice? All 6 months ultimate edition updates included?
No total sales figures for Injustice have been released recently - it did 0.5m in the US alone during month one. Last sales figures for MvC3 were in September and that was 2.2m for classic and 1.1m for Ultimate, so 3.3m over two and a half years.

As a comparison, MK9 did 3 million in 6 months.

edit: other thing to remember is that Capcom are broke at the moment so they might be dumping expensive licenses.

Lok0xXxSn1per5

I'll Freeze Those Salty Tears!
No total sales figures for Injustice have been released recently - it did 0.5m in the US alone during month one. Last sales figures for MvC3 were in September and that was 2.2m for classic and 1.1m for Ultimate, so 3.3m over two and a half years.

As a comparison, MK9 did 3 million in 6 months.

edit: other thing to remember is that Capcom are broke at the moment so they might be dumping expensive licenses.
Yeah but LBSH Nrs are horrible at making fighting games just look at injustice... lets hope this doesnt happen.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
WB and Disney doing business together. Goooood luck
They already are...and with the Marvel license. Lego Marvel is being done by one of WB Game Studios. :/

As of Sept 2013 Marvel only moved about 1.1 million units. Nothing terrible, but not really something to celebrate on something licensed that has more costs than a regular game IMHO. Im not certain on Injustice's solid figures yet, though. I know it topped the top sellers list for several months, won more awards than Marvel, and was commercially more successful. By Nov 2013 it had already done near 900k units sold and it had only released in April 2013 where as Marvel had released on Nov 15 2011. I think its safe to say Injustice killed the numbers Marvel did overall. Even if you factor in both Marvel games the rate of sales Injustice is having is better and it should easily top the grand total figure Marvel generated by the time its been on the shelves as long as Marvel has been.

Injustice makes NRS a very attractive studio to work with for tie ins. We already know Marvel can go there as Disney is already letting WB studios handle Marvel Lego. If its profitable its worth exploring and Injustice is a comic book fighting game that is very successful and makes a really strong opportunity for a DC vs Marvel game to actually be profitable to both sides and highly merchandiseable in both toy and comic forms.

From a business perspective it makes sense right now to me to think that Marvel's recent deals with WB, Capcom's delisting, and Injustice's success could very well lead to a Marvel vs DC project at NRS soon.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
WB and Disney doing business together. Goooood luck
They have done so in the past remember the movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
That is a valid assessment, but I find it odd they would ditch a liscense that made them so much money as is.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
Also Capcom may also be losing the Marvel license simply due to the long span of time they did not use it. Marvel has to make said number of games with that license or they lose it and since they are broke pretty sure they just lost it.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
its a possibility... Injustice still costs $45 around here, which means sales have been going well, otherwise the price wouldve dropped below $30 a loooong time ago. Marvel vs DC would be awesome :D IDK if NRS should be the ones to do it. Unless they really go out their comfort zone to make this game a blockbuster. Injustice is awesome, its kind of stiff though. Its all speculation, lets see what it turns into!

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Also Capcom may also be losing the Marvel license simply due to the long span of time they did not use it. Marvel has to make said number of games with that license or they lose it and since they are broke pretty sure they just lost it.
Right. Same with Sony and the Spiderman movie license. Is this different from the one Activision had? Like Capcom had the rights to fighters and Activision has general Marvel games?

EGGXI

Scary Bat
I'm up for someone else taking a crack at a Marvel fighter, but at the same time Marvel has this horrible tendency to make their fighters 3D arenas, which are pretty meh (see: Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects & EA's cancelled Marvel fighter).

Marvel vs. DC... it's one of those insane dreams we all have which will likely never occur. Although Marvel and DC have done crossover comics in the past I doubt they would do it again. It would be impossibly successful as well, like you could print money forever.

Sami

Noob
They have done so in the past remember the movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

That is a valid assessment, but I find it odd they would ditch a liscense that made them so much money as is.
Capcom were financially in the red with UMvC3 for a looooong time. It sold steadily but there was no huge surge at the start so it took ages to finally make back its development costs.

DC Versus Marvel has been hands down number 1 on my list of dream games I want to see happen before I die.

BUT, having now said that.....while I love Injustice and have great respect for NRS....deep down my dream game has always been a Capcom game. Don't get me wrong, if NRS makes it I'm sure it will be high quality and I'll enjoy the hell out of it....but no matter how good it is, the game I imagined was a mahvel style game where I could build a dream team of heroes from both universes and engage in epic fast paced crazy insane combat that I know I'll never be able to master but will try my hardest at and have endless fun watching on stream.

Last edited:

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
This will never happen.
NRS is owned by WB, marvel is not going to let DC create stories with marvel characters.
Marvel can't have DC diminishing their characters.
is was hard for nrs to get DC property, I can't imagine how hard is going to be to get marvel property.