What's new

Best & worst movie you've seen in 2014 so far?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Best: Guardians of the Galaxy

Not only the best movie this year to me but the best super hero movie to date imo. They actually took the time to flesh out every character while developing the plot at the same time. Not to mention the GoG are awesome and Chris Pratt is hilarious.

Worst: TMNT

It was just meh all around and I hoped for more, although idk why I expected more from Michael Bay lol.

All this Godzilla hate is crazy. I agree it wasn't the best movie of the year, but worst is pretty harsh.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
I watched "Frank" last night. Man that movie is a bill. 4/10

Best: Guardians of the Galaxy

Worst: Lucy

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
Best: X-Men: DOFP.

Worst: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (while I didn't think it was terrible it is probably still the worst thing I've seen this year).

IMakeItL00kC00L

Do not provoke a god
To avoid going on a rant and spoiling any of the movies I chose I'm going to keep this short.

Best: Gaurdians of the Galaxy AND Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. I thought both were very good movies that i thoroughly enjoyed and could definitely watch multiple times and still love the movies

Worst: The Amazing Spiderman 2. Granted, I am a little biased because I hate Spiderman but I have a fettish for characters with lightning powers and my friends ask me to go so I said why the hell not. Nothing really excitied me about the movie, and I found that a lot of it was boring and that the end "fight" was extremely dissapointing. I was tempted to put Transformers 4 here but I had really low expectations to begin with so I honestly didn't care that much (imo it was better than I expected, but that's not saying much lmao)

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
I watched "Frank" last night. Man that movie is a bill. 4/10
Can you elaborate? To me its the second best film of the year so far, it had awesome concepts both musically and in it's storytelling. The ending was brilliant, Fassbender had a great performance.
The way they wrote Jon to become a complete hatable twat was also unexpected and deserves to be mentioned, the guy playing him did a great job #nomnomnom
The cinematography was top and the soundtrack is really interesting, the comedy in the film was hilariously dark and subtle (with the exception of two spots which were neither subtle nor funny), reminded me of films like A Serious Man by the Coens. Although I felt the film had some pacing issues at times it's easily in my top 5 of the year.

Last edited:

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
To avoid going on a rant and spoiling any of the movies I chose I'm going to keep this short.

Best: Gaurdians of the Galaxy AND Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. I thought both were very good movies that i thoroughly enjoyed and could definitely watch multiple times and still love the movies

Worst: The Amazing Spiderman 2. Granted, I am a little biased because I hate Spiderman but I have a fettish for characters with lightning powers and my friends ask me to go so I said why the hell not. Nothing really excitied me about the movie, and I found that a lot of it was boring and that the end "fight" was extremely dissapointing. I was tempted to put Transformers 4 here but I had really low expectations to begin with so I honestly didn't care that much (imo it was better than I expected, but that's not saying much lmao)
"Ape no kill ape"
"You...not...ape

Levaranoia

War God
Godzilla was by far the worst movie, I've seen in cinema this year. It actually pissed me off so much that I said nothing to my girlfriend and buddy about it for a few days just so I could get my rant straight about all the stuff I hated in it.

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
I'm actually pretty sure Boyhood wins best movie of the year free.
Way too early to say, a lot of possible Best Picture winners coming later this year, Birdman, Gone Girl, Interstellar, Foxcatcher etc. Honestly 2014 hasn't been a great year as far as the bigger studio films go, at least so far.

Now that this thread has been bumped I would like to submit Snowpiercer as the best movie I have seen this year, and would like to change my vote on worst movie from Amazing spider-man 2 to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. That might actually be the worst movie I've seen so far this decade.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
Can you elaborate? To me its the second best film of the year so far, it had awesome concepts both musically and in it's storytelling. The ending was brilliant, Fassbender had a great performance.
It just felt too aimless. Frank himself was an interesting enough character and at times I thought it was going someplace, sadly the film seemed to have little substance. The end was a total downer when you realize its just a bunch of crazy people that accomplished nothing. I tried to like it, just not my bag.

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
It just felt too aimless. Frank himself was an interesting enough character and at times I thought it was going someplace, sadly the film seemed to have little substance. The end was a total downer when you realize its just a bunch of crazy people that accomplished nothing. I tried to like it, just not my bag.
You could argue that it was supposed to be a little aimless, I was afraid the film would be one of those usual "band gets together and plays a huge gig at the end and everything is great" -movies.
Imagine if at the end Jon had joined them on stage and they started to play a happy upbeat song
, what a shitter it would've been. It tried something a bit different and I think it succeeded brilliantly.
Although the scene where Frank and Jon get hit by cars is fucking dumb lol.

What films are you looking forward to? There's a lot of possibly great stuff released later this year, starting with Gone Girl next week.

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
The Equalizer was really bad btw, don't go see it guys. Cliche, unoriginal, inconsistent, predictable and awfully average action flick with very few cool moments.