What's new

Best character for someone that has never played a fighting game?

A friend of mine is looking to get into MK, but he has never played a fighting game before. Which character do you think is one of the easiest to learn and/or pick up the basics and get decent with?

gdf

Noob
Scorpion and Sub-Zero are good entry characters, but monsters to become high level players.
At least that's what I felt. (Anyone wanna challenge this statement? ;))

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Start with Scorpion, he is more "friendly" approach easygoing , in order to learn the basics for this game, for someone that never ever played it.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
go on youtube with him and show him some basic combo video's of all the characters and he'll pick one he likes himself.the great thing about mk9 is,is that the controls are simple and the basic combo's are very easy to do for most characters.

With a few exceptions, none of the characters are terribly difficult to learn. Have them play story mode so they can get a wide sample of the cast and see if anyone sticks.

Creepy00

Noob
I will have to say stryker, he pretty much has every tool for a new comer to adjust to. However, i say that the best way is testing out different character gameplay and testing from there. Hell, that is how i come to play with Human cyrax or Jade at a point lol

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Liu Kang would be good IMO. Some chars like sub and raiden are good at lower levels but lead to lots of bad habits. Liu is pretty easy to grasp while making the person develop their spacing game even if it is subconsciously.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I would say Ermac right off the bat, he's easy to pick up in my opinion. But know that this does not equate to him being easy to beat. There is a difference.

If that fails, you can try Scorpion or Sub-Zero.

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
if he's never played a fighting game before, he should honestly just pick some characters he thinks he may be into and dick around in practice mode until he finds something that clicks with him. telling him "THIS character is the best for you since you're new" may honestly turn him off completely if he doesn't really personally enjoy the character.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Johnny Cage, Ermac, Kano or Liu Kang are good choices imo
Liu, Scorpion, Kano yea. Cage no, you have to near enough know everybodys frame data to be able to use him as he should be played.

Depends on what kinda playstyle you get into really. E.g. I play rushdown & footsies for most part & if i was new some1 like Baraka or Liu would be good. But for zoners, Noob/Sektor or something. None of them have the high execution part and they can win off of good developed fundamentals.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
This is my first fighting game and I started out with sub-zero and hated him b/c he was slow. (or what I thought was slow)

Just throwin that out there.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
Lui Kang. I would say Smoke, but he might get in the habit of teleporting randomly and doing other stupid stuff most Smoke players do.

yeah...good point.
I would definitely not use scorpion as a character for someone who is new. yes he is easy to use, the execution barrier is low. But he has to take guesses and will get severely punished if not guessed right. I think smoke and liu kang are the best options, they could either be his main or second.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I introduced my sister to this game. I had her choose Noob. He has 2 projectiles and a teleport and black hole all with simple inputs and he also has small easy combos. I think this makes for an easy introduction to the types of tools used in the game. I think characters that can turtle a bit is good for an introduction. Lui Kang is always a good choice. Boon himself said that he was always built to be a simple introduction character in each game.

I would steer clear of rushdown characters until you have a little more experience... it is a way too steep learning curve.