What's new

Beliefs, Non-Beliefs, Worldviews and Philosophy v2.0

haketh

Noob
Man someone needs to look into those people hella sippin that Dawkin's Kool Aid

Note I'm also speaking from person experience hence the "Why I find them more obnoxious" jeez

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Man someone needs to look into those people hella sippin that Dawkin's Kool Aid

Note I'm also speaking from person experience hence the "Why I find them more obnoxious" jeez
Lol. Accepting the century of scientific evidence ratified by fossils, DNA, homologous structures, vestigial structures, comparative embryology, observable example of evolution, biogeography, molecular biology, paleontology and radiometric dating is, "sippin that Dawkin's Kool Aid"?

You might also consider that atheist come across as obnoxious because they have to constantly deal with the legitimate problems relgion poses.

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
Lol. Accepting the century of scientific evidence ratified by fossils, DNA, homologous structures, vestigial structures, comparative embryology, observable example of evolution, biogeography, molecular biology, paleontology and radiometric dating is, "sippin that Dawkin's Kool Aid"?

You might also consider that atheist come across as obnoxious because they have to constantly deal with the legitimate problems relgion poses.
granted, those are all great achievements, I don't believe anyone has discovered how-matter-came-to-exist-from-nothingness-ology. that's the discovery athiests need.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
granted, those are all great achievements, I don't believe anyone has discovered how-matter-came-to-exist-from-nothingness-ology. that's the discovery athiests need.
Despite the "nothingness" part, why would Atheists need that discovery anyway?

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
Despite the "nothingness" part, why would Atheists need that discovery anyway?
well that would support the belief that there is no higher power, that we, and everything we know came about by pure chance, from nothingness. unless athiests also believe some form of matter has always existed, but I don't think that is the case. btw, I don't have anything against atheists, both sides of the argument have flaws (atleast from a scientific perspective)

Eminent

Forum Lurker
Just for clarity, I'm an atheist. Also technically I can only speak for myself but I think most atheists would agree with what I'm about to write.

To @The_REAL_xVAPORx

Atheists are comfortable with not being able to answer certain questions. Like what happened in the first second of the big bang? We defer to science/physics and wait for an answer. If it never comes that's okay. We're comfortable saying "we don't know". It's better than coming up with answers unsupported by evidence. There are some hypotheses out there that add more to the story like the multiverse hypothesis, but no way to tell if they are correct/incorrect.

Also, saying the universe came about by pure chance isn't exactly correct. There may be something intrinsically about the universe that HAD to happen, maybe some kind of universal law of physics we haven't perfectly defined yet. We know that matter as we know it did not exist in the beginning of the big bang. Matter is just a form of energy. What form that energy was in before, I don't know. It starts to get difficult to talk about the closer you get to the beginning. Under current understanding, the big bang did not just create the matter in the universe... it also created space and time. This means that if you had a time traveling space ship and you went back to the big bang, there would be no "place" you could go to watch the big bang happen, you couldn't go to the "moment before" the big bang because time began with the big bang. Just some food for thought...

Anyway, my point is that saying "some kind of omnipotent being created our universe with some kind of purpose in mind" is taking a large, unfounded, and unnecessary leap. Technically it could be true, but it just seems very unlikely compared to all the other ideas out there.

JLG

Noob
if the whole world was agnostic/ not religious the world would be a better place with less violence and less hatred and beyond less ignorance

And you're basing that view on what exactly? Stalin's regime was anti-religion, yet it's widely considered one of the most bloody examples of human history.

Zerg

Main: Rain
It's a stupid question because nowhere in any Christian or religious doctrine is suicide encouraged to get into heaven. In fact, it's actually actively discouraged.

It's similar to that video of the Muslim saying atheists should drink their dad's sperm in that regard.

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of religion and Christianity in particular, but this isn't one of them.
Ok then you didn't understand my question. I never said Christianity encouraged suicide. I know Christianity is against it, every religion is against it. My question was, even though it's bad, won't you still go to heaven if you kill yourself? So why not kill yourself and go to heaven now?

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
Just for clarity, I'm an atheist. Also technically I can only speak for myself but I think most atheists would agree with what I'm about to write.

To @The_REAL_xVAPORx

Atheists are comfortable with not being able to answer certain questions. Like what happened in the first second of the big bang? We defer to science/physics and wait for an answer. If it never comes that's okay. We're comfortable saying "we don't know". It's better than coming up with answers unsupported by evidence. There are some hypotheses out there that add more to the story like the multiverse hypothesis, but no way to tell if they are correct/incorrect.

Also, saying the universe came about by pure chance isn't exactly correct. There may be something intrinsically about the universe that HAD to happen, maybe some kind of universal law of physics we haven't perfectly defined yet. We know that matter as we know it did not exist in the beginning of the big bang. Matter is just a form of energy. What form that energy was in before, I don't know. It starts to get difficult to talk about the closer you get to the beginning. Under current understanding, the big bang did not just create the matter in the universe... it also created space and time. This means that if you had a time traveling space ship and you went back to the big bang, there would be no "place" you could go to watch the big bang happen, you couldn't go to the "moment before" the big bang because time began with the big bang. Just some food for thought...

Anyway, my point is that saying "some kind of omnipotent being created our universe with some kind of purpose in mind" is taking a large, unfounded, and unnecessary leap. Technically it could be true, but it just seems very unlikely compared to all the other ideas out there.
ive had this discussion several times over the years and I must say, this is the first time ive heard this theory. I suppose it boils down to this: once upon a time there was nothing (void / empty space etc.) and then there was physical substance. you can either hypothesize that this was an act of a being with abilities beyond our comprehension, OR there is no higher power, whatever caused this big bang just poofed into existence, said "fuck your laws of science", then collided with another object that also happened exist, creating a chain reaction that in the end resulted in micro-organsisms evolving, growing 145,000,000,000 times their original size, and becoming highly intelligent beings among other things. and though that sounds slightly biased, in all reality they both sound pretty unlikely, yet here we are.......

Zerg

Main: Rain

To @The_REAL_xVAPORx

There being an omnipotent being is the best explanation for the universe. And all you have to do is look around to figure that out.

If you plant a seed into the ground, this tiny seed will eat and drink and transform into a tree. How the hell does a seed know how to do that? Does it have a brain? Everything seems to have a blue print in place. Everything seems to have a design and a purpose. This is why if you remove a certain type of plant or animal from nature, it will effect the plants and animals around it.

Everything is built in this perfect balance.

And we know we're not just here to survive, like animals, we know we have a purpose. Why? Because we are born with something that plants and animals don't have, moral values. We label things as "bad" and "wrong" and "honorable" even though it has nothing to do with natural survival. Our purpose in life is deeper than just survival, and again we can come to this conclusion by observation.

I won't reveal what religion I am, but I sure do believe in God, it's the only logical belief.

(Sorry, this is my super short answer, I have to sleep)

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
There being an omnipotent being is the best explanation for the universe. And all you have to do is look around to figure that out.

If you plant a seed into the ground, this tiny seed will eat and drink and transform into a tree. How the hell does a seed know how to do that? Does it have a brain? Everything seems to have a blue print in place. Everything seems to have a design and a purpose. This is why if you remove a certain type of plant or animal from nature, it will effect the plants and animals around it.

I won't reveal what religion I am, but I sure do believe in God, it's the only logical belief.

You need not reveal your faith, when you've already so clearly revealed your ignorance of biology.

JLG

Noob
And we know we're not just here to survive, like animals, we know we have a purpose. Why? Because we are born with something that plants and animals don't have, moral values. We label things as "bad" and "wrong" and "honorable" even though it has nothing to do with natural survival. Our purpose in life is deeper than just survival, and again we can come to this conclusion by observation.
Have you ever considered that the morals we create are simply a means to an end, which is to help us survive? It is considered bad, wrong and not honorable to do many things because there are usually negative consequences to our actions. Do a bad thing like murder and the rest of society no longer trusts you and will want to either take revenge against you or confine you for their protection. Most religions further that thinking by promoting the idea that not only will you suffer for your bad actions while you live but also after you die.

Of course, we haven't even touched on the fact that what is bad, wrong and not honorable differs greatly between cultures and is highly dependent on various circumstances. Why is murder considered bad, yet we legally sanction it against other societies when we want to expand our territory or acquire more resources? You might want to be careful of using morality in your argument for intelligent design when it's pretty clear that morality is a human construct that flip-flops whenever it's convenient.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
because last time I saw a photo of earth, I didn't recall Atlas holding it up....
Last time I saw man I didn't see them walking on water. Or last time I saw man I didn't see them turn 5 loaves and three fishes into enough food to feed 5 thousand. Or last time I saw water I did to see it turned into wine. Or last time I saw females I didn't see them miraculously get pregnant without sex/purposeful fertilisation. Why are the Greek myths any more cookey than the Christian ones?

Everything is built in this perfect balance.

This was actually posted earlier in this thread; but a belief in a god or omnipotent being actually complicates things further. How do you explain this God? Who created this God? Would this god be considered atheist, since it doesn't believe in a creator? How has this god always existed? Why couldn't the matter just always exist? Why bring in a god to further complicate things?

It makes much more logical sense to just say matter has always existed; before time it was packed into an infinitesimally small space then the 'big bang' occurred creating the universe as we know it over billions and billions of years. Or, to just deny knowing about the beginning of matter. Just because science can't explain something immediately doesn't mean that "gawd did it,"

Our purpose in life is defined by us. Not by some devine creator. Our biological purpose is to reproduce, to ensure the survival of our species. This is the biological purpose of every species ever to exist. This is the 'purpose' of non-living viruses and prions. However, we have evolved beyond this rambling us to pursue other activities in life. The fact that we have transcended this is a testament to our evolutionary history, not to some fallicious creator.

If anything, believing in a god is illogical considering all the evidence out there against the existence of (a) god(s) (ineffectiveness of prayer, the demonstration of impossibility of events, the direct refutations of religious texts (including contradictions in the bible), the lack of historical accuracy of religious texts, the hypocrisy of religious leaders, modern morality contradicting religious doctrine, the differences in religious traditions of different nations/time periods, and the compete and utter lack of proof of any deity ever.

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
So you're saying... that belief in the gods of olympus makes less sense than believing in your God, because you don't see any physical evidence for olympus.. ?
no, because the gods of Olympus have been undeniably disproven for a very long time. the whole principle behind Christianity is faith, if you don't want to believe in god, its easy not to, as you already know. but if you want to disprove gods existence, good luck..... and the flying spaghetti monster works both ways so that's not conclusive.

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
Last time I saw man I didn't see them walking on water. Or last time I saw man I didn't see them turn 5 loaves and three fishes into enough food to feed 5 thousand. Or last time I saw water I did to see it turned into wine. Or last time I saw females I didn't see them miraculously get pregnant without sex/purposeful fertilisation. Why are the Greek myths any more cookey than the Christian ones?

This was actually posted earlier in this thread; but a belief in a god or omnipotent being actually complicates things further. How do you explain this God? Who created this God? Would this god be considered atheist, since it doesn't believe in a creator? How has this god always existed? Why couldn't the matter just always exist? Why bring in a god to further complicate things?

It makes much more logical sense to just say matter has always existed; before time it was packed into an infinitesimally small space then the 'big bang' occurred creating the universe as we know it over billions and billions of years. Or, to just deny knowing about the beginning of matter. Just because science can't explain something immediately doesn't mean that "gawd did it,"

Our purpose in life is defined by us. Not by some devine creator. Our biological purpose is to reproduce, to ensure the survival of our species. This is the biological purpose of every species ever to exist. This is the 'purpose' of non-living viruses and prions. However, we have evolved beyond this rambling us to pursue other activities in life. The fact that we have transcended this is a testament to our evolutionary history, not to some fallicious creator.

If anything, believing in a god is illogical considering all the evidence out there against the existence of (a) god(s) (ineffectiveness of prayer, the demonstration of impossibility of events, the direct refutations of religious texts (including contradictions in the bible), the lack of historical accuracy of religious texts, the hypocrisy of religious leaders, modern morality contradicting religious doctrine, the differences in religious traditions of different nations/time periods, and the compete and utter lack of proof of any deity ever.
you mean you didn't live during jesus live span therefore all the recorded accounts of his life are invalid? jesus died.... atlas didn't just drop the earth and go into hiding in another galaxy......
lets look at it this way, according to Christians, an all powerful being has always existed and created matter as we see it today. according to athiests, large chunks of matter have always existed and were somehow set into motion and collided, somehow creating life (cause that happens often, cause science) either way... they both involve SOMETHING having always existed...... considering our entire universe is supposedly made up of this magical rock but we for some weird reason have yet to discover any material capable of what this rock did (hrmmmmm) im going to just go with an all powerful god here. I fully respect your beliefs if you see things differently, and I can live with disagreeing

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
no, because the gods of Olympus have been undeniably disproven for a very long time. the whole principle behind Christianity is faith, if you don't want to believe in god, its easy not to, as you already know. but if you want to disprove gods existence, good luck..... and the flying spaghetti monster works both ways so that's not conclusive.
Please show me the moment in history when the human race "disproved" the existence of Poseidon.

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
Please show me the moment in history when the human race "disproved" the existence of Poseidon.
the very moment we polluted his oceans and he did nothing to stop it. and before you try to apply the same reasoning towards god, remember he watched his son die without intervening. according to the bible we are living in a period referred to as the Gentile Times, where god is allowing humanity to make its own decisions without his interference.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
the very moment we polluted his oceans and he did nothing to stop it. and before you try to apply the same reasoning towards god, remember he watched his son die without intervening. according to the bible we are living in a period referred to as the Gentile Times, where god is allowing humanity to make its own decisions without his interference.
you mean you didn't live during jesus live span therefore all the recorded accounts of his life are invalid? jesus died....
Your flogic is lawless. You won't believe in Poseidon because he didn't stop humans from polluting the oceans. But you believe in the death and resurrection of a man that was mentioned in a 2,000 year old book, never mentioned by any historians until 30 years after his supposed death.

People believe what they believe, ok. But if you're going to actually try to make arguments about issues of historical fact, you should better prepare yourself. The person of Jesus Christ is not a contemporaneously documented figure. Meaning, no historians that were alive during his life ever mention him. King Herrod's slaughter of the innocents, the mass census of Caser Augustus requiring Joseph to return to Bethlehem, the earthquake and zombie rising at the moment of crucifixion (look it up), nothing. None of these massive historical events are ever mentioned by historians that lived during the years that they supposedly happened.

The story of Jesus Christ came as a revelation to Paul. After the gospel of Paul, and the formation of the religion of Christianity, along with their doctrine of Hell for unbelievers, THEN historians begin referring to Christ's historical existence. But all of these historians are from a time at least 30-40 years after Jesus had died. So no one who wrote about him, Bible or historically, ever had any contact with the man.

Last edited:

187x

Noob
And you're basing that view on what exactly? Stalin's regime was anti-religion, yet it's widely considered one of the most bloody examples of human history.
Stalin was a bad POS religious or not religious has nothing to do with him being a (POS) murderer.. what a ignorant response.

Last edited:

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
Your flogic is lawless. You won't believe in Poseidon because he didn't stop humans from polluting the oceans. But you believe in the death and resurrection of a man that was mentioned in a 2,000 year old book, never mentioned by any historians until 30 years after his supposed death.

People believe what they believe, ok. But if you're going to actually try to make arguments about issues of historical fact, you should better prepare yourself. The person of Jesus Christ is not a contemporaneously documented figure. Meaning, no historians that were alive during his life ever mention him. King Herrod's slaughter of the innocents, the mass census of Caser Augustus requiring Joseph to return to Bethlehem, the earthquake and zombie rising at the moment of crucifixion (look it up), nothing. None of these massive historical events are ever mentioned by historians that lived during the years that they supposedly happened.

The story of Jesus Christ came as a revelation to Paul. After the gospel of Paul, and the formation of the religion of Christianity, along with their doctrine of Hell for unbelievers, THEN historians begin referring to Christ's historical existence. But all of these historians are from a time at least 30-40 years after Jesus had died. So no one who wrote about him, Bible or historically, ever had any contact with the man.
if you are asking about my personal belief, then yes, I do. like billions before me. I cant remember the last person I met that still prayed to zeus.....

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
@Under_The_Mayo you also have to consider jesus was viewed as a false prophet and enemy to pretty much everyone in power because of his preaching. so the people that may have been able to corroborate his existence likely brushed him off as another naysayer, while the rest feared the wrath of pilate, who certainly didn't want jesus legacy to be documented, let alone in a biblically accurate manner