What's new

Beliefs, Non-Beliefs, Worldviews and Philosophy v2.0

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
So........ they're not guaranteed heaven? So if you're good, you go to heaven, and if you're bad, you go to hell?
Right. And here's the Catholic view on it:

Suicide

2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him.
It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life.
We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls.
We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us.
It is not ours to dispose of.

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life.
It is gravely contrary to the just love of self.
It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations.
Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal.
Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.
Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. the Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.
Source: http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P7Z.HTM

So it sounds like if you're mentally disturbed and commit suicide, it's different from willfully committing suicide in a deliberate attempt at some kind of early entry into Heaven.

Zerg

Main: Rain
Right. And here's the Catholic view on it:

Source: http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P7Z.HTM

So it sounds like if you're mentally disturbed and commit suicide, it's different from willfully committing suicide in a deliberate attempt at some kind of early entry into Heaven.
This is what it said at the end

"2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. the Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives."

Doesn't that mean they can go to Heaven?

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
This is what it said at the end

"2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. the Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives."

Doesn't that mean they can go to Heaven?
Right, but that's in the broader context of suicide being a mortal sin (i.e. a sin for which you go to hell for committing without repenting).

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
People that say just believing in Jesus and accepting him as your savior are either A) people that haven't actually read the bible or B) people that read the bible and said fuuuuck that, I don't wanna work that hard. It's a pretty ignorant for people to say "all you gotta do is just believe in Jesus." Cause the devil knows Jesus better than any of us, and he's definitely a believer.

DavS13

Noob
davs13, why is suicide unforgivable when it harms noone but judas would hav ebeen forgiven despite outright harming otherS???
I honestly would have that my answer was obvious but I guess not. You can google it man, I'm sure you will come to the same conclusion.

DavS13

Noob
Ok if I may ask, what type of Christian are you? (Catholic, Born-Again, etc..)

Because even when I Google the question, the answers I get are: "It's a bad thing to do, but a true Christian will go to heaven if he commits suicide." So I'm guessing they might be from a different sect of Christianity than you.
Yeah because I never heard that from any type of christian before, ppl bs everything about religion and put their own interpretations on the web, but the bible remains the same. I'm orthodox btw.

SkaGoogle

Tailgates & Tan-lines !
suicide and murder is a sin so unless in your last dying breath you repent for your sins and truly open up to GOD then you are going to hell.

if Hitler had truly repented and received God's forgiveness, the door to an eternity with God can be open.
so i can do whatever the fuck i want, "truly repent" and get into heaven over someone who may have lived a life in line with biblical values or standard moral values but worshipped a spaghetti monster, beat off a couple times to my neighbors wife and never repented??

SkaGoogle

Tailgates & Tan-lines !
so i can do whatever the fuck i want, "truly repent" and get into heaven over someone who may have lived a life in line with biblical values or standard moral values but worshipped a spaghetti monster, beat off a couple times to his neighbors wife and never repented??
It's not just about doing what you want then repenting, when you repent you are truly opening up to GOD by admitting you were wrong and would never do such thing again. so once you repent for lets say stealing something you can never steal again. it's also more than just repenting you have to give your life to Christ, then maybe GOD would let you in. but he knows everything so he would know if it didn't come from your heart.

It's not just about doing what you want then repenting, when you repent you are truly opening up to GOD by admitting you were wrong and would never do such thing again. so once you repent for lets say stealing something you can never steal again. it's also more than just repenting you have to give your life to Christ, then maybe GOD would let you in. but he knows everything so he would know if it didn't come from your heart.
What if hitler truly repented after he shot himself while beleeding?

so a fat man doesn't get into heaven before a murderer who admits his faults to himself???

so i can do whatever the fuck i want, "truly repent" and get into heaven over someone who may have lived a life in line with biblical values or standard moral values but worshipped a spaghetti monster, beat off a couple times to my neighbors wife and never repented??
yes

I really don't like @Peckapowa 's tone in this conversation. You're not truly trying to learn more about Christian religion. You're trying to make Christianity sound ludicrous and unfair