What's new

Ask a Question,Get an Answer,Sonya Style

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Honestly if you're going to use it to try and bait spins or CSZ counters or whatever, you might as well just block and whiff punish for way more damage.

Honestly if you're going to use it to try and bait spins or CSZ counters or whatever, you might as well just block and whiff punish for way more damage.
its not about punishing, its about checking them and making them realize you have the option, especially since it stays on the screen for a small period of time, enough to hit meaty on wake-up

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
Proficient Sonya player here. Am I the only one who honestly feels like her military stance is not as crucial of a move in her movelist as others think it is? If anything, her cartwheel kick is more important. I just find it takes too much time to set up and use an attack, plus recovery. I do use it for her shoulder rush however. Very effective move that is able to cover a lot of distance.

Maybe I need to just work with it more.

Proficient Sonya player here. Am I the only one who honestly feels like her military stance is not as crucial of a move in her movelist as others think it is? If anything, her cartwheel kick is more important. I just find it takes too much time to set up and use an attack, plus recovery. I do use it for her shoulder rush however. Very effective move that is able to cover a lot of distance.

Maybe I need to just work with it more.
do 114 ms f1 cartwheel or d4 ms f1 cartwheel

when your opponent learns to block it you get absurd amounts of chip damage and meter.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Military Stance is actually by far her most important tool. Mixups or free chip off of every combo or blockstring.

TrembleGoose

Aww, damn!!
MS is the core of her game IMO. The flexibility, mixup, psychological advantage, damage potential she has access to whilst remaining suspiciously safe is too powerful not to use. Her ability to scare the opponent into doing what she wants them to do in any given situation is fantastic. Been getting lots of mileage out of her d4~MS2 lately. Been using that, and mixing it up with dash cancelling out of MS to either throw/go for a block string back into MS/or just dash block cancel and bait a whiff. Anyone else been using this? Its not concrete, but my results(OFFLINE) have been for the most part favourable. Gonna start seeing if a jumpin after d4~MS is viable at all.

TrembleGoose

Aww, damn!!
Ms is probably her best divekick setup too, against people that like to try to poke out of offense
This. Ive had some luck conditioning people to try to poke me out of dash cancelling into her f+4 and instead jump back~ divekick, but that does seem kinda on the shenanigans side of things to me. Gonna be at least 9 heads at a gathering tonight, so imma have plenty of testing opportunities.

TrembleGoose

Aww, damn!!
Not really a question, just something I just found out.

B21~cartwheel does not work on Sheeva. For whatever reason(NRS' shitty programming + testing) Sheeva can block the cartwheel after b21 on hit.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
How do you get people not to duck vs Sonya? Is F4 her best/only option?

Also, can somebody explain her best stuff out of her MS? For example, what does a good pressure situation look like w/her?

Thanks guys

How do you get people not to duck vs Sonya? Is F4 her best/only option?

Also, can somebody explain her best stuff out of her MS? For example, what does a good pressure situation look like w/her?

Thanks guys
Well forward 4 is her best over head but she still has f2,2,4 and her overhead tackle out of MS. Her best option for pressure is 21 MS into whatever command her low punches are. her MS is great because it is a safe guessing game unlike scorpion, you can go low overhead or even go for a launcher, and it can be linked quickly into her 21 string if you are fast enough the tackle counts as a combo.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Well forward 4 is her best over head but she still has f2,2,4 and her overhead tackle out of MS. Her best option for pressure is 21 MS into whatever command her low punches are. her MS is great because it is a safe guessing game unlike scorpion, you can go low overhead or even go for a launcher, and it can be linked quickly into her 21 string if you are fast enough the tackle counts as a combo.
What are the mixups in MS stance? Does she have mids or does somebody just sit and block low all day in MS stance? Is tackle her only option? You guys keep saying she has frame traps, what are they?

What are the mixups in MS stance? Does she have mids or does somebody just sit and block low all day in MS stance? Is tackle her only option? You guys keep saying she has frame traps, what are they?
her command throw out of MS is an overhead.

Dash canceling out of 21-MS is still a frame trap under certain situations, I believe. Pretty much anything you do out of MS can be used as a frame trap since you can cancel into it and delay when you actually do something/ if anything out of it and respond to their response before its actually active.

or like someone said cancel into forward jump dive kick and punish poke attempts

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
her command throw out of MS is an overhead.

Dash canceling out of 21-MS is still a frame trap under certain situations, I believe. Pretty much anything you do out of MS can be used as a frame trap since you can cancel into it and delay when you actually do something/ if anything out of it and respond to their response before its actually active.

or like someone said cancel into forward jump dive kick and punish poke attempts
Ohhh ok, so in order to stop people from poking you out of MS, you cancel and then DK? I guess my next question is, why is this considered a frame trap and not a mixup? When she does 21 MS on block, shes not at adv is she?

Ohhh ok, so in order to stop people from poking you out of MS, you cancel and then DK? I guess my next question is, why is this considered a frame trap and not a mixup? When she does 21 MS on block, shes not at adv is she?
I suppose its technically a mix up but it is a dead-end frame trap when you do the "wait briefly and punish" ms strings on block.

and I'm sure you already know about 112ms at the end of combos

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I suppose its technically a mix up but it is a dead-end frame trap when you do the "wait briefly and punish" ms strings on block.

and I'm sure you already know about 112ms at the end of combos
What is the adv of 112 ending in combos? I usually end everything in leg grab

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
not just 112, 112ms. You're in MS, before they recover, ready to do another f1~cartwheel for chip damage or whatever else you want to try
What are good combos to end 112 to in? I can't seem to get the 2 to connect ever. I do JP, DK, 21, CW, B21F2, and 112 doesn't ever seem to fully connect:(

Shady

Noob
What are good combos to end 112 to in? I can't seem to get the 2 to connect ever. I do JP, DK, 21, CW, B21F2, and 112 doesn't ever seem to fully connect:(
The one adam suggested, but I normal just go for the 36% reset out of the ease of it. B2,1 Cartwheel, Dash 1, Dash 1, Dash 1, Dash 1, 1,1,2 MS does 36 and has been working just fine for me.