What's new

Ask a Question,Get an Answer,Sonya Style

How the hell are you supposed to play against sonya?

I get wrecked no matter who I use, I can't get in but they just arc kick if I try to zone.

distance I'm supposed to be at? What does sonya have trouble with?
Arc Kick is at times more punishable than a teleport because its flying right at you. If you block its full combo for you, and its very slow to start up as well.

You should probably just spend a little time playing as sonya, you'll see how risky some of the stuff is.

Poto2222

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015.
High end Sonya players will cartwheel after the MS f1 low string. It doesn't combo, so is this to make the string safe on block?
Exactly. If they block the MS :r:fp, the Cartwheel will make the string safe, and both players will be on a 50/50 situation
after it.

How the hell are you supposed to play against sonya?

I get wrecked no matter who I use, I can't get in but they just arc kick if I try to zone.

distance I'm supposed to be at? What does sonya have trouble with?
Sonya's biggest problem is finding a way to get into you. Once she does, you're probably screwed big time! xD
Best thing you can do is to get a FULL screen distance (Arc Kick covers only 3/4 of the screen) and start your Zoning Game. Sonya has little to no chance against good zoners, and she always has the disadvantage when trading projectiles. But if she manages to hit you with her rings BEFORE you throw your stuff at the screen, she has the advantage, and if she keeps shooting consistenly, you'll never be able to shoot any projectile.
Another good thing to do is to bait the Sonya player on doing the Arc Kick, just like Dervish said. If you successfuly block it, then it's time to Sonya to be screwed big time!

Can Jax's air throw and gotcha grab stuff Sonya's cartwheel kick?
Yeah, Jax can Air Throw her Cartwheel kick since she gets out of the ground while doing it, but it's very unlikely you'll be able to do it, since I bet you'd be hit out of your jump by her legs. It can work, but that's definitely the worst way of punishing it. Same thing for Gotcha Grab, but I think it has more chances defeating the Cartwheel.

leek

Noob
Best thing you can do is to get a FULL screen distance (Arc Kick covers only 3/4 of the screen) and start your Zoning Game. Sonya has little to no chance against good zoners, and she always has the disadvantage when trading projectiles. But if she manages to hit you with her rings BEFORE you throw your stuff at the screen, she has the advantage, and if she keeps shooting consistenly, you'll never be able to shoot any projectile.
That's the issue with cage, his projectile is only good for the ex block string and mix up between low and high to catch jumping opponents. It's very slow start up and is easy to block on reaction.

Poto2222

That's the issue with cage, his projectile is only good for the ex block string and mix up between low and high to catch jumping opponents. It's very slow start up and is easy to block on reaction.
Oh, so you're using Cage? LOL
Yeah, he's on your avatar and sig, but when you said you were trying to ZONE, I thought you were using another character. xD

So yeah, this is a melee fight. At full screen, all you can do is :enShadowKick, but you obviously already know this. You have to get in as much as Sonya does. Not only a melee fight, but also a kind of "first one to successfuly hit your opponent wins" fight. Best thing you can do is to bait the Sonya player into doing a Dive Kick, block it, do a quick dash canceçlling it into :r:fk and then start your Frame Trap.

I don't have any further advices, since this is a VERY tough match. I also have a lot of problems with good Cage players, and I know that it will never be an easy fight for Sonya too.

Shady

Noob
I need help with doing Military Stance mid combo after the F2,2 for the dash out and quick dive kick to continue combo. I just can't get it. I can do it in the middle of B2,1 Cartwheel into Military into Uppercut to continue juggle, but for the life of me I can't do it in the middle of her more advanced combos.

Poto2222

I need help with doing Military Stance mid combo after the F2,2 for the dash out and quick dive kick to continue combo. I just can't get it. I can do it in the middle of B2,1 Cartwheel into Military into Uppercut to continue juggle, but for the life of me I can't do it in the middle of her more advanced combos.
Well, this will be a very frustrating combo to learn, I ensure this for you. IMO, this is by far the hardest thing I ever done in this game.
One thing that you must know is that the :r:bp:bpxxMSJC,DiveKick done in midscreen is STANCE SPECIFIC! Both you and your opponent must be with their backs OR chests facing the screen, if you know what I mean. If you both are in different stances, Sonya's :r:bp:bp will cause the opponent to get too far from her, and the DiveKick won't cover the enough distance to hit him.
The DiveKick input :)d:bk) must be done in the EXACTLY SAME MOMENT Sonya gets off of the ground after jump cancelling the Military Stance :)ur:ur). You have like 4 or 6 frames to do it, so it will take A LOT of time for you to be able to do it. It took me like 2 entire weeks to do it right, and even now I drop this combo easily. It's frustrating, yes, but the reward is HUGE.

Here's two quick gifs I made to show that Sonya barely gets out of the ground and does the DiveKick:

Shady

Noob
Thanks a lot. I've been having a lot of success with Sonya since I picked her up and can honestly say she is now on par with my best characters. She is ridiculously underrated in this game and a good Sonya is dangerous. I've been using the 43% mid screen BnB mostly or 41 into 1,1,2 reset instead plus her great military stance traps but that is still the one combo that eludes me. I feel like if I get it I will be able to take her to the next level.

Well my 1st Question would be What BnB should actually I be using, I usually just use Divekick 21 cartwheel back 21 forward 2, 112 for the reset (the Last '2' almost always wiffs for me...). Like should i be going for the reset after every combo like Kabals forward 4 or Johnny's Nut punch?

Shady

Noob
If it whiffs, probably not. I usually go for the same combo except I end with 2,1 Leg Grab. Does around 43% and works great. If you wiff the 2 of the 1,1,2 try and delay inputting the combo. Not not whiff it the opponent needs to be around her waist area when you start hitting the 1,1. If I do want the reset I usually use B2,1 Cartwheel Dash in 1, Dash in 1, Dash in 1, Dash in 1, Dash in 1,1,2. At that point the timing takes care of it self as by the 112 the opponent is low enough.

Dive Kick 21 Cartwheel B21F2 1 112 is a better way to confirm it.

Ending combos in 112 MS F1 gives you 2/5ths of a bar, you don't deal with wake up, does the maximum amount of damage (Through block) or you get 2-4% (Depending on how delayed the F1 is) if the opponent doesn't block low.

What is Sonya's anti-wakeup game?
you could set up an arc kick crossup then jump back over them before they get up. (I do this out of ms. f1)

her throws put her at advantage, a lot of wakeup options wont be able to hit her in time if you jump immediately after throws

112 grounds them standing

the occasional back dash to kiss can be intimidating

Justice

Noob
you could set up an arc kick crossup then jump back over them before they get up. (I do this out of ms. f1)

her throws put her at advantage, a lot of wakeup options wont be able to hit her in time if you jump immediately after throws

112 grounds them standing

the occasional back dash to kiss can be intimidating
Thanks so much! I'll start incorporating these into my game ASAP! I almost always fall for wakeups :'(

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
hey guys, im new to sonya and she seems so damn fun, along with sektor. Just a few things:

1.- How to land the kiss consistently? for some reason I cant land it midscreen after b2,1,f2 xx nJP.

2.- does she have any low/overhead launcher or strings that can be connected into combos? As in, after 1,1,2. Or should i just go MS 1+4, 1+2 ?

3.- what's the best thing to do after a succesfull kartwheel/en kartwheel. I'm using it as my punisher starter. (As in, I block a random scorpion teleport and he stays in the air)

thanks!

Poto2222

hey guys, im new to sonya and she seems so damn fun, along with sektor. Just a few things:

1.- How to land the kiss consistently? for some reason I cant land it midscreen after b2,1,f2 xx nJP.

2.- does she have any low/overhead launcher or strings that can be connected into combos? As in, after 1,1,2. Or should i just go MS 1+4, 1+2 ?

3.- what's the best thing to do after a succesfull kartwheel/en kartwheel. I'm using it as my punisher starter. (As in, I block a random scorpion teleport and he stays in the air)

thanks!
1- In order to hit the Kiss after :l:bp:fp:r:bp NJP, you must do a SLIGHT dash forward immediately after landing on the ground. Remember, you must complete the Kiss button inputs before Sonya completes her Dash animation, or else it'll whiff.

2- She has only three overheads :)r:bk, :r:bp:bp:bk and MS Tackle), which won't give you the opportunity to followup, and only :bp:fp:l:bk and MS:r:fp as her low hit attacks (besides her low pokes and sweep), but atleast MS:r:fp can be cancelled into any of her Special Moves (on hit AND whiffed).

3- Best thing you can do is MS:l:bp, :l:bp:fp:r:bp, and then use the combo ender :)bp:fpxxLegGrab) or go for the reset :)fp:fp:bpxxMilitary Stance).

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
1- In order to hit the Kiss after :l:bp:fp:r:bp NJP, you must do a SLIGHT dash forward immediately after landing on the ground. Remember, you must complete the Kiss button inputs before Sonya completes her Dash animation, or else it'll whiff.

2- She has only three overheads :)r:bk, :r:bp:bp:bk and MS Tackle), which won't give you the opportunity to followup, and only :bp:fp:l:bk and MS:r:fp as her low hit attacks (besides her low pokes and sweep), but atleast MS:r:fp can be cancelled into any of her Special Moves (on hit AND whiffed).

3- Best thing you can do is MS:l:bp, :l:bp:fp:r:bp, and then use the combo ender :)bp:fpxxLegGrab) or go for the reset :)fp:fp:bpxxMilitary Stance).
Thank you poto2222! (sounds funny)

I'll still have to find a video of her midscreen kiss. I seem to dash way too close as for the kiss to hit.

Btw, nice work here man. Glad to see somebody in south america be as good as you are in MK. Are you following the MK scene in your country?

Greetings from Peru.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
If you want the kiss to land after B21F2 try doing a half circle -> 1. That way you're doing the dash and the kiss together

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Is there any real use for kiss outside of combos? I'm sure I should be throwing it out more as it potentially gives a 40%+ combo on hit.

Is there any real use for kiss outside of combos? I'm sure I should be throwing it out more as it potentially gives a 40%+ combo on hit.
it IS safe on block as long as they don't duck it, so IMO, its worth the risk to check them with it now and again. Especially in the Kung Lao matchup. It keeps them honest with spins.

the best way to do a naked Kiss is MS~1xxkiss. It cancels from the mini shoulder charge allowing you to do it in a block string or from further away