What's new

Strategy Ares Strategy, Set-Ups, and Mind Games

The Gabriel

Mean Man
I've been getting b2 to hit all the time in the ground game. It's certainly easier than hitting a raw 3d2. Everyone is conditioned to duck against Ares due to his d1 and his projectile. b2d4 blows them up.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I've been getting b2 to hit all the time in the ground game. It's certainly easier than hitting a raw 3d2. Everyone is conditioned to duck against Ares due to his d1 and his projectile. b2d4 blows them up.
Standing 3 is 5 frames faster and has more range than b2. I find one of the only times I can get a naked b2 out is after a teleport mid combo when they're on the ground.

Mosp

Noob
Once people start punishing his teleport I can see Ares having a lot of problems. Most characters have to play very different when fighting him because he can control space really well from fullscreen and he has a teleport which no other character really has. When his teleport starts getting punished consistently then that's 1 less option which is unfortunate since he seems to be lacking in that department as of right now.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
Ares' best options after a knockdown...

Currently if they're knocked down far away, I'll either do a meaty mb fireball or teleport right as they wakeup to mess up their inputs and go into d1 or b1

I'd like to do more cross-up j2, but I never seem to be in quite the right position on knockdown, as it isn't useful if your're point blank.

Raw 3d2 might be a decent option, with the mb gs follow-up on hit or close mb gs on block.

Mosp

Noob
I have a lot of stuff I've been working on but just haven't had the time to post it lately. Hopefully I can get around to it soon though because I think most of it is pretty useful.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
So I've found a really easy way to get the d+3 off Ares' b+2,3

You do b+2,3, 1 (as soon as the recovery frames end for b+2,3) then d+3 asap. It's SUPER consistent and obviously even does more damage. Hope this helps. I read through the thread and didn't see anyone mention it.

I'm having a lot of fun with this character.

The Gabriel

Mean Man

You do b+2,3, 1 (as soon as the recovery frames end for b+2,3) then d+3 asap. It's SUPER consistent and obviously even does more damage. Hope this helps. I read through the thread and didn't see anyone mention it.

Are we sure there isn't enough time to backdash the MB GS after the d+3 since it hits so much closer to the ground then raw b23?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter

Yeah, I told mule about that. The 1 makes it a lot easier to connect the d3. I also have some d3 reset combos that I will be posting soon. One is a 3 bar, 2 trait, 2 reset 117% combo, lol. (technically not a combo but you get what I mean)

The problem with d3 is I think they can backdash and beat the reset, and also wake-up moves are a lot easier to do. It's def not as good as b23, but since it's getting nerfed, it's a good alternative.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Yeah, I told mule about that. The 1 makes it a lot easier to connect the d3. I also have some d3 reset combos that I will be posting soon. One is a 3 bar, 2 trait, 2 reset 117% combo, lol. (technically not a combo but you get what I mean)

The problem with d3 is I think they can backdash and beat the reset, and also wake-up moves are a lot easier to do. It's def not as good as b23, but since it's getting nerfed, it's a good alternative.
I wish they would just leave the reset alone. I honestly think he is going to sink to the bottom of the barrel if they take that from him. I am having a lot of fun with this character. I'd hate to see him lose something that keeps him a threat against the better characters in this game. Superman already fucking shits on the reset as it is as well as Green Lantern. Even BAD Superman and Lanterns were snuffing my resets with wake ups online today.

The Gabriel

Mean Man

It seems like this works best off of a raw b23, but doesn't work when b23 is used in a combo. When it's in a combo, just doing raw d3 at the right time seems to be the most consistent.

after a 223 hits i use MBGM, after a 223 hits its posible to walk just a little bit and then jump in 1 into 3,d+2, or just walk a little and bait the wake up, or teleport, proyectile etc...

Killjoy McGee

[Hype Intensifies]
Guys, I just ran into someone using f1,f1 then ex god smack. What I'm asking is that stuff just impossible to beat? Or is there a way to beat it?

Killjoy McGee

[Hype Intensifies]

TuffGong

Noob
Forward A than another one then Ex Godsmack while I'm on the ground, then repeat.
Who was the Ares? Cause im the only one at this time that i know of, that uses that combo GS(mb) F3,F3>GS(mb) and reapeat. ( cant clash it)..idk if i was the Ares you were up against, but i remember fighting you allot with Ares. From my experience people have trouble dealing with this because of the long knockdown. But like all ares reset well timed back-dash or wake up can avoid it.

Killjoy McGee

[Hype Intensifies]
Who was the Ares? Cause im the only one at this time that i know of, that uses that combo GS(mb) F3,F3>GS(mb) and reapeat. ( cant clash it)..idk if i was the Ares you were up against, but i remember fighting you allot with Ares. From my experience people have trouble dealing with this because of the long knockdown. But like all ares reset well timed back-dash or wake up can avoid it.
Yeah you were the Ares who used it on me GG BTW and thanks for the tip.

themule

Noob
That's clever, dude. I was thinking about that knockdown the other day, that it reminded me of the splat from mk9 and wondering if it was useful for anything but I didn't think about the reset. I'm going to borrow that

SupaDupaDylan

Dog of Raw
What's up guys, new member here wanting to discuss my favorite character in Injustice.

I've been doing fairly okay online, but I attribute much of it to people not knowing that MB fireball blows up crouchers full screen, hehehe.
I even had a dude ragequit on me talking about my full-screen zoning being "spamming" and sexually harrassing my mother, etc.
This dude was using catwoman, by the way... which in my opinion is one of the crappier match-ups for Ares..
So people are obviously unaware of many of his different little mixup games, but once they figure him out I'm gonna have a hell of a harder time.

But a question I have, is if you guys are able to predict a projectile and get a teleport in behind them in time, are you able to dish out any serious damage? I feel like I can't get anything that doesn't with 1 or b1 or d1. Or is there a mixup I should be going for post-teleport to get some optimum range for his games?

The Gabriel

Mean Man
But a question I have, is if you guys are able to predict a projectile and get a teleport in behind them in time, are you able to dish out any serious damage? I feel like I can't get anything that doesn't with 1 or b1 or d1. Or is there a mixup I should be going for post-teleport to get some optimum range for his games?
not sure what you mean...why can't you get anything with d1?