What's new

Strategy Ares Strategy, Set-Ups, and Mind Games

themule

Noob
What's up guys, new member here wanting to discuss my favorite character in Injustice.

I've been doing fairly okay online, but I attribute much of it to people not knowing that MB fireball blows up crouchers full screen, hehehe.
I even had a dude ragequit on me talking about my full-screen zoning being "spamming" and sexually harrassing my mother, etc.
This dude was using catwoman, by the way... which in my opinion is one of the crappier match-ups for Ares..
So people are obviously unaware of many of his different little mixup games, but once they figure him out I'm gonna have a hell of a harder time.

But a question I have, is if you guys are able to predict a projectile and get a teleport in behind them in time, are you able to dish out any serious damage? I feel like I can't get anything that doesn't with 1 or b1 or d1. Or is there a mixup I should be going for post-teleport to get some optimum range for his games?
Punishes after teleports are difficult. Teleport is slow enough that even if you do get that read a lot of the time they're still done recovering by the time you get your punish out. 112 tends to get stuffed it they mash pokes and d1 has awful range and a lot of stuff is so slow it gets blocked or beaten out.
You sort of just have to play it by ear based on your opponents habits and what they were doing when you teleported. Some stuff has a longer recovery and will let you go for whatever you want, in that case you just go for your largest BnB combo starter(3d2 probably, or whatever you want based on what meter/trait you have). But a lot of stuff recovers quickly or puts them at a distance so in those cases you just go for what you can.
You can try 22. It hits mid, is a 10 frame start up, and combo the way 112 does. D1 is obviously your fastest punish-er, you should probably be relying on it a lot. If they're farther away go for b1. You can use b1~d4 and get a decent combo that'll hit mid and get them if they're farther away, but it does have a slow start up.
The other thing to try is armored b3 or f3. If you think they might recover faster than and are just going to mash buttons hoping to beat you out then MB b3 is usually a good option.

Other stuff maybe worth trying is a jump in/cross up/neutral jump depending on the range, or a MB Fireball, or MB Godsmack. A lot of it has to do with conditioning and learning their habits. Watch what they usually do after you teleport and try to choose your move based on that.

SupaDupaDylan

Dog of Raw
not sure what you mean...why can't you get anything with d1?
Mostly I'm wondering if there are any better options than d1, or any tricks people have been coming up with. I've had a little fun throwing in MB GS as soon as I teleport after, trying to confuse them into some stupid defensive calls for me to take advantage of. I've had lots of trouble post-teleport with 3d2 or b23, which are some of my favorite starters.

TuffGong

Noob
That's clever, dude. I was thinking about that knockdown the other day, that it reminded me of the splat from mk9 and wondering if it was useful for anything but I didn't think about the reset. I'm going to borrow that
Np, might do more damage with B3 then F3 for the splat. But i just go for the double F3 cause it looks freaking hardcore :3

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
That's clever, dude. I was thinking about that knockdown the other day, that it reminded me of the splat from mk9 and wondering if it was useful for anything but I didn't think about the reset. I'm going to borrow that
Someone made a video a week ago or something where you can use f3 and do f3 again but if u land it on time, your opponent will not be able to wakeup so you can go into pressure again safe

SupaDupaDylan

Dog of Raw
Punishes after teleports are difficult. Teleport is slow enough that even if you do get that read a lot of the time they're still done recovering by the time you get your punish out. 112 tends to get stuffed it they mash pokes and d1 has awful range and a lot of stuff is so slow it gets blocked or beaten out.
You sort of just have to play it by ear based on your opponents habits and what they were doing when you teleported. Some stuff has a longer recovery and will let you go for whatever you want, in that case you just go for your largest BnB combo starter(3d2 probably, or whatever you want based on what meter/trait you have). But a lot of stuff recovers quickly or puts them at a distance so in those cases you just go for what you can.
You can try 22. It hits mid, is a 10 frame start up, and combo the way 112 does. D1 is obviously your fastest punish-er, you should probably be relying on it a lot. If they're farther away go for b1. You can use b1~d4 and get a decent combo that'll hit mid and get them if they're farther away, but it does have a slow start up.
The other thing to try is armored b3 or f3. If you think they might recover faster than and are just going to mash buttons hoping to beat you out then MB b3 is usually a good option.

Other stuff maybe worth trying is a jump in/cross up/neutral jump depending on the range, or a MB Fireball, or MB Godsmack. A lot of it has to do with conditioning and learning their habits. Watch what they usually do after you teleport and try to choose your move based on that.
Thanks for the info, the teleport recovery is horrible, but I definitely see some wide open punishes sometimes that I wish I could've done more on (Green lanterns gun, some of deathstroke's silly guns are a couple that come to mind). Need to work more on my d1 confirms and spacing, sometimes I give it more credit in terms of reach than it actually has.

TuffGong

Noob
Mostly I'm wondering if there are any better options than d1, or any tricks people have been coming up with. I've had a little fun throwing in MB GS as soon as I teleport after, trying to confuse them into some stupid defensive calls for me to take advantage of. I've had lots of trouble post-teleport with 3d2 or b23, which are some of my favorite starters.
To your earlier question. If i get a tele while counter zoning i can blow people up 60%+ going with D1, D4..D4 is a low so if they react and block and try to counter poke or something they will get popped up and ill follow up with my B2,3 reset. Mixing this up with grab will really put your opponent on their toes.

What i'm trying to perfect is tele and instantly armoring F3, (dont go for B3 horrible range and slow)

SupaDupaDylan

Dog of Raw
To your earlier question. If i get a tele while counter zoning i can blow people up 60%+ going with D1, D4..D4 is a low so if they react and block and try to counter poke or something they will get popped up and ill follow up with my B2,3 reset. Mixing this up with grab will really put your opponent on their toes.

What i'm trying to perfect is tele and instantly armoring F3, (dont go for B3 horrible range and slow)
Good stuff! Haven't even messed with armoring post-teleport yet, but that's just my week 1 Ares for ya. I feel like between that, GS, and a tight grab game can leave people in the dirt. This character is so slept on.

themule

Noob

You're definitely right about f3. It's faster, better on block, and it hits overhead. Ares players should probably should always for f3 any time they're using an armored bounce. Anything that gives the opponent a reason to block high works out very well for Ares

teleport, d1 d4

teleport b2 d4

block, b1 d4

block, 22d4
This is good, I just want to throw out there that b2 is slow as molasses and can be stuffed or reacted too. It works, but the time to use this is when the opponent is respecting your d1 and has decided they're just going sit there and block low all day long. Once you've taught them that after a teleport a d1 is coming and they start crouching every time they see the teleport animation, that's when you use b2.

Someone made a video a week ago or something where you can use f3 and do f3 again but if u land it on time, your opponent will not be able to wakeup so you can go into pressure again safe
Have you got a link to that?

TuffGong

Noob
Just wanted to add for everyone who want to try this. It says "However, If you are able to hit the second F3 on the last frame before the opponent hits the ground, the splat animation will be so short that it basically causes an instant wakeup, and you will be at frame advantage. From here, you can go into further mixups or resets depending on your character."

In the situation that you are not in the corner, do not go for the second F3 on the last frame (if you want to do the GS reset). It is a extremely good tech, but Ares will send them too far and they can easily react on the incoming GS because they are already standing. (jumping out would be easy, spotting the GS coming from that range).

I was doing the F3-F3 reset before i saw this video, but i hit the second F3 almost instantly and NOT on the last frame. This causes a longer "splat-time" on the floor. Which is perfect for the slow GS.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
I love how everyone has mentioned writing down their Ares tech or creating a guide etc and then none ever appear. Is Ares just that one-dimensional that we got nothing interesting?

I wanted to talk about the wake up teleport "buff". Does anyone have a method for getting the wake-up attack out consistently after a hard knockdown? After a tech roll I can wake-up every time, but the problem with hard knockdowns is the timing is different depending on the character and the knockdown, and it doesn't seem like you can buffer the inputs like in street fighter.

Even when you do get a teleport off, problems abound. You do seem to have enough time to block after the teleport regardless of what the opponent is doing, but the problem is that 8 times out of 10 the situation won't really have changed and you'll still be in the vortex of what your opponent is trying to do post-knockdown.

If your back is to the corner and your opponent jumps in on your after they knock you down (a very likely occurrence), the teleport wake-up will actually teleport you BACK INTO the corner because of the cross-up (and the disorientation will probably lead to you eating a mix-up).

So basically you have to pray that the wake-up attack actually comes out, then you have to block a mix-up immediately when the teleport is over!

This is the problem with relying on a wake-up that a) doesn't involve a strike, and b) doesn't move you away from the opponent.

God smack does both of those things, but even MB god smack can get stuffed on wake-up start-up before the armor is activated.

TuffGong

Noob
I love how everyone has mentioned writing down their Ares tech or creating a guide etc and then none ever appear. Is Ares just that one-dimensional that we got nothing interesting?

I wanted to talk about the wake up teleport "buff". Does anyone have a method for getting the wake-up attack out consistently after a hard knockdown? After a tech roll I can wake-up every time, but the problem with hard knockdowns is the timing is different depending on the character and the knockdown, and it doesn't seem like you can buffer the inputs like in street fighter.

Even when you do get a teleport off, problems abound. You do seem to have enough time to block after the teleport regardless of what the opponent is doing, but the problem is that 8 times out of 10 the situation won't really have changed and you'll still be in the vortex of what your opponent is trying to do post-knockdown.

If your back is to the corner and your opponent jumps in on your after they knock you down (a very likely occurrence), the teleport wake-up will actually teleport you BACK INTO the corner because of the cross-up (and the disorientation will probably lead to you eating a mix-up).

So basically you have to pray that the wake-up attack actually comes out, then you have to block a mix-up immediately when the teleport is over!

This is the problem with relying on a wake-up that a) doesn't involve a strike, and b) doesn't move you away from the opponent.

God smack does both of those things, but even MB god smack can get stuffed on wake-up start-up before the armor is activated.
In those corner situation that you mentioned, i would go for a Far GS (mb just for the safety). Because like you said, shit can get messy with those freaking teles in the corner. But i rarely get stuffed if i GS(mb, far) to get out. Might be the timing, but going for the close GS (mb) you are going to get stuffed allot more.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
doesnt matter near or far - if the opponent does a quick low as you're doing the GS wake-up, you will get stuffed during the start-up animation

Mosp

Noob
The teleport buff in my opinion is a step in the right direction because Ares would get destroyed once he got knocked down and it made certain matchups ridiculous and very frustrating. At least now I'm able to teleport and avoid oki mixups and sometimes even punish them for doing so. However it's still a bad idea to use in the corner because of what was mentioned before but there is always push block as an option.

Honestly I feel like this character can be fun to use sometimes but most of the people that play him have backup characters since he has trouble against a lot of the cast. I know I'm more focused on other characters because they have more of a fighting chance and a lot of characters in this game are generally not difficult to pick up and be rather successful with. Just my 2 cents since the latest patch.

The teleport buff in my opinion is a step in the right direction because Ares would get destroyed once he got knocked down and it made certain matchups ridiculous and very frustrating. At least now I'm able to teleport and avoid oki mixups and sometimes even punish them for doing so. However it's still a bad idea to use in the corner because of what was mentioned before but there is always push block as an option.

Honestly I feel like this character can be fun to use sometimes but most of the people that play him have backup characters since he has trouble against a lot of the cast. I know I'm more focused on other characters because they have more of a fighting chance and a lot of characters in this game are generally not difficult to pick up and be rather successful with. Just my 2 cents since the latest patch.
Mosp: it was actually because of you I actually started playing Ares. I saw that one video of your Ares fighting that Superman and I knew Ares was bad ***. I actually don't have a main but if I did it'd be Ares as I've always liked the oddball characters in fighting games.

Anyways, you're right, the teleport buff has helped me out in a lot of my matches. For the corners, though I usually do the far MB God Smack on wake up to create space if the opponent is pressuring me. Now I'm crossing my fingers for better dashes and something that will improve his anti air game but that's just me.

All I'm saying is I am fairly new to this site and THANK GOD for you guys posting on this board as I learned a lot just from visiting this site once or twice a day. So far, I have been winning a lot of my matches just by listening to what a lot of you guys have posted but that's probably because I don't really play at a competitive level and a lot of my opponents online probably don't either. It's just too bad I probably will never get good enough to contribute anything but I still gotta give credit to you guys where it's due.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
Ares fundamental problem: He is a zoner who loses to nearly every other projectile in the game, struggles to land a hit and when he does he can't convert it into decent damage.

Ares fundamental problem: He is a zoner who loses to nearly every other projectile in the game, struggles to land a hit and when he does he can't convert it into decent damage.
I really don't think he's supposed to be a zoner. At best he's a worse deathstroke(hybrid), but honestly the guys got 1 actual projectile. Other than that he's got a teleport, an invis, and a projectile punish/combo tool. That all says to me that this is someone who wants to get in.

His other projectiles so far(trait) seem basically better in combos(although i'm still not sure where exactly to use axe. Hoping i can find a better use for down axe). I see the "zoning" as something to do until your sword comes back, or a way to close out matches/frustrate those who have a better close up game.

haketh

Noob
Axe is mainly useful for contorlling range just a bit outside of mid range, youg otta be careful though. I just wish he had better AA options, he's a bit to free to jump ins.