What's new

Anyone else want better story presentation in MKX?

Notez4

Noob
ermac could just pick up sub-zero and repeatedly smash him on the ground. He doesn't even have to touch him.
he obviously has a limit, otherwise he would do as you said repeatedly to anyone that opposed him. to even smash someone on the ground twice he needs to spend meter! haha

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
ermac could just pick up sub-zero and repeatedly smash him on the ground. He doesn't even have to touch him.
You do know Sub-zero has been confirmed to be able to:

A) Teleport at will
B) Turn into liquid, snow, or ice crystals and disperse himself and reform from whatever bits he wants. This means he can turn into ice while being slammed, break apart, then reform unharmed.
C) Use ninja substitution using his ice clone to get out of a bind.
D) Flash freeze people in multiple ways, incredibly quickly, including a counter if he is physically touched by an attack.

With that, Ermac actually can't kill Subzero with his telekinesis, and would have to rely on his martial arts abilities.

Subzero can, however, freeze Ermac solid with so much as a touch, including if Ermac is the one hitting him.

If you stack up all of their confirmed abilities and reasonable assumptions based off of those abilities, not mostly blind hypotheticals that we don't actually have proof of, Subzero actually has the edge in the fight.

Fighting game stories strike me as really really hard to do. ESPECIALLY MK stories. "how can we make sure you fight everyone, in a coherent story, in a game where killing people is second nature, and yet we need them all to come back for the sequel".

You could do some really creative stuff theoretically(story changes based on actions sort of thing), but I don't think anyone feels like taking the effort or the risk to break the status quo, which moved from arcade style "beat everyone up and then get a possible ending" to "play as various people beating everyone up to see more cutscenes" with the arcade mode as an addon.

I will say if they get rid of the really stupid mini games I will be MUCH happier. Test your might has some nostalgic value which is nice, but beyond that anything that isn't teaching basic mechanics to new players is probably wasted time, as they always come off as half assed and obnoxious, and time better spent elsewhere.

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
He jobbed once.

Remember he got beaten by fucking Stryker.

That was comic book levels of "lets make this not as cool/powerful character beat this incredibly cool/powerful character so that they can seem more cool/powerful".
AFTER getting flung down a metro station down several magnitude of stairs, with only a stupid ass cap as head protection.

Stryker goes through Reptile (okay), Mileena, KINTARO (wat) and Ermac (...I can only buy that because Ermac is unfamiliar with modern Earthrealm weaponry and probably wouldn't think to react fast enough to gun).

Raiden willingly dropped the match vs. Sonya to get her to free Jax most likely. Oh no a beatdown? I'LL JUST ZAP MYSELF TO HEALTH SINCE Y'KNOW I'M LITERALLY DOING THAT TO JAX NEXT SCENE.

So yeah, don't just assume because one character wins clean in the fight that the fight itself can't be easily handwaved.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
You do know Sub-zero has been confirmed to be able to:

A) Teleport at will
B) Turn into liquid, snow, or ice crystals and disperse himself and reform from whatever bits he wants. This means he can turn into ice while being slammed, break apart, then reform unharmed.
C) Use ninja substitution using his ice clone to get out of a bind.
D) Flash freeze people in multiple ways, incredibly quickly, including a counter if he is physically touched by an attack.

With that, Ermac actually can't kill Subzero with his telekinesis, and would have to rely on his martial arts abilities.

Subzero can, however, freeze Ermac solid with so much as a touch, including if Ermac is the one hitting him.

If you stack up all of their confirmed abilities and reasonable assumptions based off of those abilities, not mostly blind hypotheticals that we don't actually have proof of, Subzero actually has the edge in the fight.
Haha i know his abilities it want a comment meant to be taken seriously. And how do souls get frozen?
I see it as an even matchup or slightly in ermac's favor since he has no stamina and is made up of many, many souls which can give him strategic advantages. Also if scorpion can touch sub-zero then why wouldn't ermac. Unless you want to make the argument that hell nerfed his abilities.

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
man, are we really trying to canonize the capabilities of people who frequently saw, kick, punch or just pull each other in half effortlessly? There is no consistent power scale by which any mk character can be measured story wise. Anybody can beat anybody at any time. Just enjoy the story for what it is.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
man, are we really trying to canonize the capabilities of people who frequently saw, kick, punch or just pull each other in half effortlessly? There is no consistent power scale by which any mk character can be measured story wise. Anybody can beat anybody at any time. Just enjoy the story for what it is.
Plot powers, i hate them.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
He jobbed once.

Remember he got beaten by fucking Stryker.

That was comic book levels of "lets make this not as cool/powerful character beat this incredibly cool/powerful character so that they can seem more cool/powerful".
Exactly even vs sub, if ermac went all out sub would be dead lol. Just think if ermac used his powers besides his H2H skills. Mk 9 made raiden, ermac job bigtime except for motaro and few other fights. Though Sub does have a lot of options, I think Ermac could also push himself as well such as fighting from the air fighting Sub perhaps from a far. Or using his TK to melt the ice(he actually did do this in the Cartoon series MK Defenders of the Realm) though that's not canon sadly to the game, but I thought that was interesting Sub made a huge ice wall to delay an attack. Ermac was using his TK to crack and heat it....

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
Plot powers, i hate them.
I don't think mk9 had a lot of plot powers problems, I think the problems are there have to be so many meaningless wins and losses that when something does actually happen, it feels totally out of place. I think with 2-3 more chapters, pretty much all of the loose ends could have been shored up and none of the "big" scenes would've felt out of place. Sindel's rampage easily could've been wrapped up into its own chapter, would've been way less jarring than a 20 second send off for 6 whole characters. Give Sektor a chapter for the Lin Kuei invasion. Give Shao Kahn a prologue chapter where he wipes everyone out before the time rip. And maybe give Ermac a chapter from when he puts down jax to when he puts down johnny so it actually seems surprising when Outworld loses the tourney.

But hey, with the gift of hindsight you could even fix Episode 1, so that's pretty moot.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Do you guys like this style off story better than armageddon's? I miss armaggedon's rpg story but id like to do it with more than one character

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
They should at some point just make an MK RPG IMO. Don't know how well it'll do, I'm sure the casuals and story buff fans will get it. The guys who just like playing probably wont...

Mortal Komhat

I'm not a fan of Konquest, personally - It creates this situation of only one character we have to give a shit about, as opposed to the multitudes of characters we like.

Say I really fucking hate Taven, MKA's Konquest Mode is gonna be fucking painful. Same with Shujinko in MKD.

The problem with 9's/I:GAU's is that certain characters are completely glossed over. Having multiple stories would help alleviate that problem.

Mortal Komhat

Thats why everyone has an arcade mode ending.
Not the point (It's more about whether or not the mode is fun to play/follows what you personally want) but that's also true.

If Sheeva's in this and she doesn't have an Australian accent I'll be mad because her arcade mode ending is fucking hilarious when you think about it for more than a second.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I wouldn't have multiple storylines, but I would change the was chapters work in order to make the storymode less linear, while still being just one canon.

Andromeda

I am Bard
My only wish is that the story doesn't focus on the protagonists' stories. I would like to see what the antagonists have going on.

And if someone dies, it wouldn't hurt to actually get to kill them rather than just seeing it in the cutscene. (Not all of them, but at least like two.)

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
A good story doesn't matter at all to me. I'll only play through the story mode if I have to, like if something is only attainable that way. It also depends what that prize is too. If it's something like Mileenas stupid costume after beating the challenge tower... then pfft

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
My only wish is that the story doesn't focus on the protagonists' stories. I would like to see what the antagonists have going on.

And if someone dies, it wouldn't hurt to actually get to kill them rather than just seeing it in the cutscene. (Not all of them, but at least like two.)
I agree, specialized fatalities like in Shaolin Monk's story mode should make a return.