What's new

Anyone else want better story presentation in MKX?

Killusion

Stream addict
When MK9 came out, me and two of my friends played through the story mode together. We swapped who plays after every chapter and we had fun. We did the same thing with Blazblue Chrono Phantasma, and it wasn't fun at all. I mean, 15 minutes of talking, 1 fight, 15 minutes of talking again.. I can't play anime game story modes anymore.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
For example: You are Subzero and you have to fight Goro and D'vorrah, who Kotal Kahn has ordered to kill you. You defeat them, but Kotal Kahn is displeased with their loss and decides that he wants to execute them. You can save one or the other. Saving them unlocks something, so you actually have incentive and weight to your choices. It could unlock an alternate costume for the character, the character themselves, a variation for the character, concept art for them, or any number of other things as well as effecting the story onward. You save Goro, he helps you on your quest in his own unique way, and he'll have different interactions and dialogue in cutscenes than D'vorrah would if you saved her.
That's a good idea, so if you want to know the whole story you have to take every path, that gives the single player mode tons of replayability. Btw, I would give the chance to save one or the other, but secretly I would add the option to save both of them (you will need to fry your brain here) and that opens the path to play against a secret char (like reptile in MK1, or jade, noob, etc). So much could be improve here, but the original MK9 story was a blast at the time.

Last edited:

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I don't think you can get TOO much better given the budget games have (not like movies) however, definitely longer cutscenes and not as many fight into cutscenes. Though I still want that back, preferably more action scenes and want to see Raiden really cut loose. I also want to see the Elder Gods show more of their omnipotence doing something crazy like destroying a realm or something they created the MKU eons ago after defeating the One Being.

Thinking perhaps not in this game but for future MK's regarding the story, they could go about like MK9, Injustice and MK X style however make it even more interesting with some RPG options CHOOSING what you want to do in certain cases, therefore altering certain outcomes then playing it again to see how it unfolds had you chosen a different option.

Still all of this being said, MK's story is still billion times better than any fighting game, sorry but SF, BB, Tekken etc don't even come remotely close to MK's story.

haketh

Noob
Still all of this being said, MK's story is still billion times better than any fighting game, sorry but SF, BB, Tekken etc don't even come remotely close to MK's story.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope. BB & MK are about even for Story modes, quality of story though are both pretty eh.

Dark

Noob
(Also, @Dark that the tournament doesn't make sense actually makes sense if you consider that the first two tournaments, Shang and Shao Kahn are trying to stack the deck in their favor so they can merge Earthrealm)
Sure, but should they even be allowed to do that? I mean outworld is hosting the tournament.. but I'd imagine elder gods at least set a few rules. Anyway I was talking more of just general things that make no sense rather than it being stacked in their favor..

For example.. there are no brackets at all, at some points you are forced to fight people, other times you can volunteer, some people don't even arrive until the very end of the tournament(Ermac). You don't even have to be signed up to fight(Kung Lao).

Scorpion demands Shang Tsung to allow him to fight Sub Zero in the tournament despite a.) Sub Zero being on the same side as him, and b.) Sub Zero already being eliminated from the tournament. Scorpion also fights cyrax and sector despite both of them being on the same side as Scorpion(I assume it's a tournament fight with the way Shang announces it).

Also the lack of killing.. Shang Tsung and Shao Kahn both want people to die after combat, yet no one ever does except Shao Kahn(survives) and the random dude Kitana was fighting. Ermac didn't even kill Johnny, but didn't hesitate to rip Jax's arms off!

Anyway as long as the story is good, none of this really bothers me, just nitpicks.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
That's a good idea, so if you want to know the whole story you have to take every path, that gives the single player mode tons of replayability. Btw, I would give the chance to save one or the other, but secretly I would add the option to save both of them (you will need to fry your brain here) and that opens the path to play against a secret char (like reptile in MK1, or jade, noob, etc). So much could be improve here, but the original MK9 story was a blast at the time.
I thought of a cool way to do secret characters in this theorized story mode.

There should be secret inputs or commands or win conditions that you can enter during specific fights after round one begins, if you do them then a cutscene will trigger and another unexpected combatant emerges. This secret character is a boss-like version of the standard and they are a much harder fight with a good unlockable reward.

For example:

You have to fight Barak at the bottom of the pit for whatever reason, if you beat him round one without using any special moves or jumping a cutscene will trigger and reptile will come out and challenge you.

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
Sure, but should they even be allowed to do that? I mean outworld is hosting the tournament.. but I'd imagine elder gods at least set a few rules. Anyway I was talking more of just general things that make no sense rather than it being stacked in their favor..

For example.. there are no brackets at all, at some points you are forced to fight people, other times you can volunteer, some people don't even arrive until the very end of the tournament(Ermac). You don't even have to be signed up to fight(Kung Lao).

Scorpion demands Shang Tsung to allow him to fight Sub Zero in the tournament despite a.) Sub Zero being on the same side as him, and b.) Sub Zero already being eliminated from the tournament. Scorpion also fights cyrax and sector despite both of them being on the same side as Scorpion(I assume it's a tournament fight with the way Shang announces it).

Also the lack of killing.. Shang Tsung and Shao Kahn both want people to die after combat, yet no one ever does except Shao Kahn(survives) and the random dude Kitana was fighting. Ermac didn't even kill Johnny, but didn't hesitate to rip Jax's arms off!
The tournament's rules are as follows from what I can glean of the story :
- Unless otherwise stated (MK2 clause), one realm must win 10 consecutive tournaments to merge (they say merge but really it's more like absorbing) the other realm.
- Realms fight until one yields or has no undefeated champions in the tournament.
- Realm protectors/Gods cannot participate unless directly challenged. (MK9)
- To declare a Mortal Kombat tournament, all you need to do is accept the terms of proposal of another realm and be sanctioned by the Elder Gods. (MK9)

Das it mane.

There's reasons for all these inconsistencies, actually, and while I might be wrong, the extrapolation is worth thinking about.
- Shang brings out Ermac because he wants to show his Ermac swag and because he's scared of Liu Kang (which is also why he accepts Kitana's proposal to kill him - same with why he bought out the Lin Kuei).
- Scorpion has his own agenda (it starts with Kill and ends with Sub-Zero) and doesn't give two shits about the realms battling. As to why he's allowed to fight Cyrax/Sektor? No idea (it could be that Shang Tsung cared not about the Lin Kuei and were only there for assistance). The Sub-Zero fight likely doesn't count as he literally dragged him to Hell for the fight (and is eliminated). If Shang gave a fuck he'd call it a no contest.
- Killing isn't necessary for the tournament. Just that Shang Tsung and Shao Kahn literally power up when people die since they'll just suck in the soul. As far as Ermac is concerned, the distraction probably made it so Shao Kahn couldn't order him to finish him, and at this point Ermac is essentially a puppet anyway.

KingOko

Was it good for you?
Longer cut scenes that flow seamlessly to the fighting, like mk9 but better.
And more cinematic violence.

MKF30

Ermac isnt a pupper, he was being controlled. Puppets often choose to do so.

Others like rain, reptile etc actually chose to serve kahn due to fear. Thats not the case with Ermac.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope. BB & MK are about even for Story modes, quality of story though are both pretty eh.
Not even close lol bb nor any other fighter are close to mk storyline wise. Outside media also proves this with comics, cartoons, tv shows, movies and web series. Not to mention mks characters kick bbs characters ass in power and coolness lol

haketh

Noob
Not even close lol bb nor any other fighter are close to mk storyline wise. Outside media also proves this with comics, cartoons, tv shows, movies and web series. Not to mention mks characters kick bbs characters ass in power and coolness lol
You mean the outside media that with the exception of one movie & tw0 TV Shows are fucking horrible? BB also has a plethora of Anime & manga available outside of the games, having more options doesn't make a story better BTW. Also lets not get into power level talk because that has nothing to do with quality of story & BB/MK power levels are pretty radically different.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Stop with the punching bags. Don't have a bitch character that literally ONLY comes on screen to get the shit kicked out of them and then never be seen again unless they need him to get his shit kicked in again because the 4 min cutscene is up and the player is tired of scratching his balls. DEVELOP characters, give me info on BAraka's life, WHAT ARE HIS FEELINGS AND CONCERNS IN THE STRUGGLE OF SHAO KHAN'S HEICHARY OF RANK and UNDERLINGS AN-oh sorry I'm ranting.

Don't be lazy with characters NRS, develop some backstory, even if they do get the clobbered every two minutes. I mean most videogame stories are ass and I don't expect too much but c'mon, the laziness is overwhelming. Oh and BB story was a consulted mess of conflated garbage, among other things(but so is most anime #shotsfired).

Welp that's my input, hits trade I'm happy.

MKF30

You mean the outside media that with the exception of one movie & tw0 TV Shows are fucking horrible? BB also has a plethora of Anime & manga available outside of the games, having more options doesn't make a story better BTW. Also lets not get into power level talk because that has nothing to do with quality of story & BB/MK power levels are pretty radically different.
MKC wasn't horrible, MKL was awesome, MK 1 movie was awesome, (second one sucked I admit) it was going to get a second season but due to budget got canned MKC. And how many movies or TV live shows did BB have? Exactly...

But anyway, to each his own. I feel MK just has a far deeper story and more developed characters. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree sir. Cheers.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Stop with the punching bags. Don't have a bitch character that literally ONLY comes on screen to get the shit kicked out of them and then never be seen again unless they need him to get his shit kicked in again because the 4 min cutscene is up and the player is tired of scratching his balls. DEVELOP characters, give me info on BAraka's life, WHAT ARE HIS FEELINGS AND CONCERNS IN THE STRUGGLE OF SHAO KHAN'S HEICHARY OF RANK and UNDERLINGS AN-oh sorry I'm ranting.

Don't be lazy with characters NRS, develop some backstory, even if they do get the clobbered every two minutes. I mean most videogame stories are ass and I don't expect too much but c'mon, the laziness is overwhelming. Oh and BB story was a consulted mess of conflated garbage, among other things(but so is most anime #shotsfired).

Baraka isn't allowed to have feelings, he traded 'em in for blades

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.

Fucking yes.

Even Goro was lowered to cannon fodder.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
No, in fact forget story mode and all useless extra shit and focus on balancing and polishing the gameplay mechanics and improving the netcode!

MKF30

Gameplay definitely has priority but can't ditch MK's story, a big reason MK characters rock are because of how developed they are over the years. Unlike other fighters that feel like they're "there just for the sake of being there"

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
People writing the story aren't the same guys doing the balancing, and polish comes from not being rushed and actually addressing bugs early on in development.

In so far as the netcode, I've my own ideas on that, but I am not a network engineer or programmer or any of that business so.

He jobbed once.

Remember he got beaten by fucking Stryker.

That was comic book levels of "lets make this not as cool/powerful character beat this incredibly cool/powerful character so that they can seem more cool/powerful".
Story mode wins don't make much sense. Johnny defetead Sonya and Kano. Then Sonya went on to defeat Raiden (who's probably the most powerful in-game character) and Kano. And this is one of many cases.