What's new

An Observation of Tournament Mannerisms

coolwhip

Noob
My all time favorite mannerism is a long MK9 set played by Slips and Soonk at GGA (Scorpion vs. Kabal). The salt levels were amazing. The best thing about it is the camera wasn't fixated on them so you just hear the banter in the background. Oh god I miss Soonk.

coolwhip

Noob
If you've been watching PL long enough, it becomes a bit easy to see when he looks rattled, even when he tries to hide it by being stonefaced. He gets a certain look (see the DJT X-Ray cancel for reference).

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
I either do the nose, head, or eyebrow scratch. I'll also tap some musical tune on my pad and make noises with the analog sticks.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Most people have different mannerisms depending on tournament and casuals too.

Btw the gaping maw of young wafflez is most common when he's in the zone, not really when he's losing

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
I do the imaginary beard stroke/thinker pose at the pause menu or character select screen.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
I usually say "Nice" if I'm impressed with someone's combo or they way they opened me up. I also very quickly switch to salt and heavy sighing if I begin to lose the set.

One I recall from back in the day, when CD Jr. was nervous about a match he would yawn beforehand or look bored.

I am sure more people do this as well.

The_SNKE

BLT | RM
The Head Nod and The Head Shake are my favorites, I feel they are pretty telling of the players' personalities.

This is what I imagine everyone is thinking when they do their mannerisms.

The Nod (without smile):

"Aright, you got me"
"That was a good read"
"Yeah, I screwed up"

The Nod (with smile):

"Haha, good one. But no worries, I'll get you back in a sec"
"Oh! This guy can actually make reads!"
"Nice! I guess I have to start trying now"
"Looks like this is gonna be a fun one"

I don't know why I imagine all these quotes and actions being done by Denzell Washington. Like Training Day Denzell Washington.

The Head Shake:

"I'm so fucking stupid, why did I get hit by that?"
"This guy is garbage and I'm getting hit by bullshit"
"God, my character sucks"
"I really hope the stream is talking about how much of a bill my character is"
"I play a shitter"

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
The Head Nod and The Head Shake are my favorites, I feel they are pretty telling of the players' personalities.

This is what I imagine everyone is thinking when they do their mannerisms.

The Nod (without smile):

"Aright, you got me"
"That was a good read"
"Yeah, I screwed up"

The Nod (with smile):

"Haha, good one. But no worries, I'll get you back in a sec"
"Oh! This guy can actually make reads!"
"Nice! I guess I have to start trying now"
"Looks like this is gonna be a fun one"

I don't know why I imagine all these quotes and actions being done by Denzell Washington. Like Training Day Denzell Washington.

The Head Shake:

"I'm so fucking stupid, why did I get hit by that?"
"This guy is garbage and I'm getting hit by bullshit"
"God, my character sucks"
"I really hope the stream is talking about how much of a bill my character is"
"I play a shitter"
The nod with a smile is a much larger indicator of panic and salt than you think.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Ive noticed about myself since last Civi war. When winning or losing in between matches I grab my shirt and pull it out cause im fat. Winning I nod my head in a like im stoned and listening to a Yes song. Losing I tap my buttons PERFUSILY and nod my head much faster. During the actual game I make a weird face like im taking a dump the entire match.

EMPEROR_THEO

I only use characters with wakeup scoops.
I'll make an exception to the thread with a "casual mannerism"

Play 16bit in a bad matchup for Catwoman.

Win 2-4 games and he'll say in a soft voice: "Duuuude, Catwoman sucks"
Win 5-7 games and he'll say in a normal voice: "I seriously have no options" OR "Is Wonderchef serious about Catwoman being broke?"
Win 8+ games and he'll turn to you directly and say in an angry voice: "You realize that I have NO OPTIONS, right?"

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

I push up my glasses and do a nose scratch in every type of situation.

Before starting a match, I rapidly tap my fingers on my buttons.