What's new

All-time great games, classics, "works of art"

Do you guys remember Final Fight or Streets of Rage? Those beat 'em ups were such a blast to play with friends.

When are we gonna see more multiplayer games in this vein?

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Really? I once watched a playthrough of the Director's Cut, I thought it was really, really bad.
The voice acting wasn't that great.
The game had like, three tracks it used for the entire game, making scenes incredibly awkward, such as that annoying whistling song which played every ten minutes.
The map was huge for no reason, with tiny locations dotted around it and you drove at 20 MPH to get to them.
The story was fairly interesting, honestly.

This is just what I remember, anyway. Interested in your thoughts.
It's most definitely NOT one of those games that you can spectate and get the full experience.

Watching a runthrough of Deadly Premonition is like reading the script for a movie and hoping for the same enjoyment as someone who's watched it. It's not a "perfect" game, and it has a lot of shortcomings, but what made it great for me was the lasting positive feelings it left me. I loved driving around and listening to York talk about movies, I was engrossed in finding the murderer, and I think the Sim aspects (like shaving, changing attire before getting penalized for being smelly, eating, and sleeping) really helped to draw me in.

It's definitely not for everyone, but it's one of those games that really motivated me to play it. I was so engrossed with it, that when it was over, I didn't want to do anything but play more. Very few games do that, and that's why I listed it. I mean, as of right now it's holding the Guinness World Record for most critically polarizing survival horror game. It's either very hit, or very miss for people, and for me, it was a massive success.

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
Conventionally, Deadly Premonition is a bad game. But it's so bad that it can be kinda good.

Somebody should make a theead about that game.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Last of Us has been the only single player experience I've enjoyed in a very very long time.

The story could of won best screenplay at the Oscars. It was just perfect imo.

Just a couple joints for ya

Double Dragon(arcade)
Rastan(arcade)
Maniac Mansion(NES)
NARC(arcade)
River City Ransom(NES)
Shinobi(arcade)
Toe Jam and Earl(Genesis)
Black Belt(Master System)
Slam City with Scottie Pippen(Sega CD/32x)
Supreme Warrior(Sega CD/32X)
Yie Ar Kung Fu(arcade)
Star Ocean 2nd Story(PS1)
Chrono Trigger(SNES)

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
It's hard to not just do favorites, but that's why I think this question is so interesting. I like the idea as "games as art" as opposed to "this was the best thing ever", etc. I'm using "art" here to refer to any of the following: graphics (for the time), storytelling (likely the largest factor here), and innovative mechanics

Older Gen (atari/nes - ps2/xbox)
Super Mario World (NES)
Super Mario 64
Ocarina (N64) / (Obviously)
Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Genesis)
Pokemon (let's be serious here, it's the entire series at this point)
Baldur's Gate I, II, and Neverwinter Nights (PC)
Might and Magic 6-8, Heroes of Might and Magic III (PC)
Jade Cocoon (PS1) - @Juggs I disagree super hard about the 2nd one, let's turn this into some kind of BS rivalry when MKX comes out.
Vagrant Story (PS1)
Final Fantasy (as a series, nitpicking just creates inane favorite disputes)
Legend of Dragoon (PS1)
Shenmue (Dreamcast)
Ikaruga (Dreamcast)
Okami (PS2)
Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Newer Gen (ps3/360-present)
Journey (I cannot stress this game enough)
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Limbo
Flower
Child of Light
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
The Last of Us
The King of Fighters XIII
Race the Sun
Never Alone
Portal
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Hopefully, No Man's Sky is going to be the game that redefines everything though. I have high hopes for the procedurally generated style of programming and, if it's successful, will likely change the way we not only see games, but build them.

Ok.. The master list of games I've played that I believe to be masterworks:

The Last of Us
Uncharted 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum/City
Metroid Prime
Half-Life
Half-Life 2 (this game influenced a generation of other games)
Counter-Strike (goes without saying, but this kicked off the modern arcade-tactical FPS)
Unreal and Unreal Tournament (Both amazing games, with an engine that's still relevant today)
Soul Calibur Dreamcast (people forget how groundbreaking this game was as time)
Tekken 3
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Goldeneye 64 (this also goes without saying)
Mario 64
Star Fox 64
WCW vs. NWO through WWF Wrestlemania 2000
Silent Hill
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Vectorman
Earthworm Jim 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (This game deserves extra credit, as no game before it was so fluid)
Sonic and Knuckles
Shinobi III
Final Fantasy 3/6, and probably 2/4 as well
F-Zero
Mario Kart
Super Mario 3
Super Mario World
Legend of the Mystical Ninja

I played cs competitively for like 5 years

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
This thread reminds me of the days developers put gameplay over everything else. What happened mates?

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!

The sheer scale, resource and detail in these games are extremely impressive, especially given they were Dreamcast games released in 2000/2001. Sucks that they cost so much and nearly put Sega out of business, and as such it's extremely unlikely that Sega will put forward any funding for any more. Just to recoup the money Sega put into the project, they essentially needed everybody who had a Dreamcast to buy the games twice, and I'm not exaggerating.

TKB

Noob
Gears of war 1
Pokemon rb
Warcraft 3
Socom 2
Goldeneye
Socom 2 was the first big online tactical shooter I really got into... I spent hours and hours getting good at it and I miss it very much to this day.

The greatest online tactical shooter ever IMO though is easily......

Nothing will touch this game in my eyes. I am still recovering from the shutdown of the servers. RIP :(

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I'm a HUGE NES fan so most of my picks are from that (in no particular order):
  • Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (especially 2)
  • Bionic Commando (jpn version as it is way more difficult... BCR honorable mention)
  • Mega Man 2
  • Mega Man X
  • Mega Man X2-3
  • Battletoads
  • Solstice (very simple, music is amazing)
  • Legend of Zelda
  • A Link to the Past
  • OoT
  • Majora's Mask
  • SMB 2
  • SMB 3
  • Super Mario World
  • SMW2: Yoshi's Island (my favorite Mario game by far)
  • Crystalis (Game Boy Advance version as the boss makes more sense)
  • Metroid
  • Super Metroid
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Final Fantasy III (VI)
  • Final Fantasy 8 (yes that's right, not VII)
  • Metal Gear Solid (PS1 on original hardware, not any other version... the rumble effects of the original are absolutely unmatched)
  • Super Mario 64
  • Mass Effect Trilogy
  • Skyrim (I love Elder Scrolls III and IV, but V is SO much better)
I am missing a ton, but those games are my absolute favorites.

colt

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
miner49er, blast corps, blaster master, shadow complex, warcraft 3, diablo 2

Last edited:

NobilityV3

Smalls deep.
Marathon Trilogy
Super Castlevania IV
Super Metroid
Pokémon Gen I
Super Mario Bros
DOOM
Light Crusader
Contra/Probotector (superior)
Gimmick! (Mr. Gimmick)
Abes Odyssey
Street Fighter II
UMK3
Zelda ; Links Awakening
Supet Punch Out
Metal Gear Solid: TEA
Armored Core
I like you.

The most underrated series ever.

nwo

Noob
I haven't been a console gamer since like 2002, but Mario 1, Mario 3, Burger Time, Mike Tysons Punch-Out, MK2, UMK3, Duke Nukem 3D, Daytona USA, Donkey Kong Country, Mario Kart 64, Half Life 2 (pc), Counter Strike Source (pc). Missing A LOT of games, but these are the works of art.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
Knights of the Old Republic was definitely the game that basically set my taste in games and stories. It still has one of the few twists that legitimately caught me off guard and it's amazing how obvious it should be on a second playthrough and yet because it's done so well nobody really saw it coming. Funny thing is I may never had played it because it was a rental and when I went to blockbuster I believe I was trying to rent Halo 2 at the time but it was sold out so I looked around and saw this Star Wars game with a cool cover and went with that.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Shooters are played for playability and ease to just pick up and play.

As far as in depth story, plot, voice acting, and so-on.

Mass Effect series, easily.
The Last of Us, easily.
Assassin's Creed, easily.

Hades

Noob
I'm in the minority but my favourite game of all time is dead space 2. The part in chapter 5 where you have to run away from a brute while hes right behind you only to be grabbed away by it last second and taken out to space before you shoot a gas canister and just scrape back in through a window and survive. That has been the only point in gaming where i had to put the controller down and just think. I jut sat there and thought about how fucking sick it was. Never had another moment like it, i still get chills every time i play that part.

Abe's oddysee: well ahead of its time, still great years and years later

Starwars KOTOR: fucking incredible, this game had a great story line, terrific game play and the areas you went to were so interesting.

Oblivion: sunk waaaaay to many hours into this and skyrim, both great games but oblivion is better IMO

Bioshock 1: i mean this game... Beautiful aesthetically, amazing gameplay, unique ideas with plasmids, fucking incredible story (one of the few stories at the end i went damn that was good) way, way ahead of its time. Its a shame bioshock 2 sucked so much. Infinite was good but bioshock 1 was way ahead of infinite.