What's new

General/Other - Kano After the patch/hotfix: Here's my opinion on Kano

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
@ando1184

I know it's a Kano discussion but that Jackie video got me hyped, well the non FA parts. I like the char but can't play her to save my life.

On to Kano. I'm actually really liking the Cyber buff of up laser. It might be a bootleg version of Pred or Jackie's tool set but more ways for him to get damage, whether corner or mid screen, I'm a fan.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Did you watch Coach Steve's match against Jupiter? Better play than I have ever pulled off against the good Jax players. Proof that Cyber doesn't need an OH.
Where can I find it? I actually think both cyber and commando are AT LEAST 5-5 (but I don't play on their level)

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Where can I find it? I actually think both cyber and commando are AT LEAST 5-5 (but I don't play on their level)
I don't know if there's an archives, it was on Pig's Stream Sunday night and I watched lived. Check to see if he has archives. The very first match when he switched to PS4. It might have been the best set I have ever seen Coach play. His space control, reads, and understanding was godlike. Robotic Ai almost.

In the Honeybee match you can tell he didn't have as much MU exp in it, but I'm sure he'll work on that for next time.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I know the Jax match up very well. From Jupiter to Yipes, NYC Fab and CD Jr back with Jax too I've nearly mastered the match up from kano's side and in all variations.
I could tell. You had it masterful. I played Jupiter once a while back online and against Khaotic_Ominious Pumped Up a few times and find the MU relatively hard. I had a feeling I was doing something wrong with Cyber but couldn't/can't figure it out. I saw a couple of things you were doing that I don't do in it and you use more offense tricks to go with your defense and spacing. I definitely pulled some things from watching that set that I'm gonna try to apply to improve in the MU.

In a way, I owe you a thanks because I'll get better in the MU from this lol.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I could tell. You had it masterful. I played Jupiter once a while back online and against Khaotic_Ominious Pumped Up a few times and find the MU relatively hard. I had a feeling I was doing something wrong with Cyber but couldn't/can't figure it out. I saw a couple of things you were doing that I don't do in it and you use more offense tricks to go with your defense and spacing. I definitely pulled some things from watching that set that I'm gonna try to apply to improve in the MU.

In a way, I owe you a thanks because I'll get better in the MU from this lol.
In all honesty though, the matchup is "don't get put in the corner" lol

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Many matchups are heavily based on position. Most people Vs Kano have the same mindset; don't get put in the corner.
Yeah but Jax's corner game is just.............................. Fair and balanced :')))))))

Edit: ok I actually think Jax is kinda fair and balanced but his corner game is ridiculous.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
In all honesty though, the matchup is "don't get put in the corner" lol
Easier said than done lol.

I also have problems in the neutral with his pressure/mixups. Moreso than most characters. I just have to get better at fighting Jax lol.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Easier said than done lol.

I also have problems in the neutral with his pressure/mixups. Moreso than most characters. I just have to get better at fighting Jax lol.
I really like commando for the matchup. Gives you a fighting chance in the corner and you can parry out of his pressure.

Tharr

Nyaaaah~
Maybe I'm missing something obvious but where are people seeing the f4 low crush? I don't see it in the patchnotes, and it's not low crushing D'vorah's d4 for me, while Scorpion's f2 very obviously does.

EDIT: I see now, it doesn't low crush, it just goes over her hitbox if you're at the right distance.

Last edited:

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Maybe I'm missing something obvious but where are people seeing the f4 low crush? I don't see it in the patchnotes, and it's not low crushing D'vorah's d4 for me, while Scorpion's f2 very obviously does.

EDIT: I see now, it doesn't seem to low crush, it just goes over her hitbox if you're at the right distance.
yes sir; that is what a low crush is if I'm not mistaken. It works on other moves other then that of dvorah's. It works on sand grenade as well and more. It wont be in the patch notes since it's always had those properties.

Tharr

Nyaaaah~
yes sir; that is what a low crush is if I'm not mistaken. It works on other moves other then that of dvorah's. It works on sand grenade as well and more. It wont be in the patch notes since it's always had those properties.
Afaik a low crush will beat out any low move even if it starts afterwards, but not sure if that's what the devs intend now.

Take Scorpion's f2 - I set AI Kano to do 1,1, then d4. As Scorpion, I block it, (1,1 is -2), and Kano's d4 is 8f, so that's a 10f d4 being thrown out basically. Scorpion's f2 is 17f startup, yet, it beats out the d4.

Do the same with Kano's f4 - it eats AI Kano's d4 most the time, depending on range, yet Kano's f4 is only 11f startup.

EDIT: If a low crush is just considered a "high profile" as said below, then alright, although Kano doesn't get too high off the ground until later in f4's frames.

Last edited:

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
hmmm, I see what you mean; yeah in that sense I'd say his F4 is more of a "high profile" (for lack of a better term) move more then a straight up lowcrush.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Cyber is hype as shit.

what gives you the biggest problem with it?
With Commando? Mostly feel like it's harder to "stay on them" than Cutt is. Like it feels like I'm constantly making hard reads and if I'm wrong I get blown up or give them roaming space. Then end up fighting through zoning to get back in against some characters. But even the ones without zoning. Like when I play a Sonya for example, which shouldn't be a tough MU for Comm I can't have consistent success. I think I play it too slow possibly, trying to parry her pressure or afraid to push the pace too hard in fear of counters and mixups. So it leaves me like "Derp" and then I switch to Cutt/Cyber and play the MU 100x better. Something similar to this seems the case most times I use it. For me it has become a "Cyber covers these MU's, Cutt covers the rest" and Comm looks through the window.

Like I don't have any issue with Cyber except about 3 MU's and think it's even better after the buffs, I'm continuously getting better with Cutt, but Comm feels like I hit a wall. It sucks because I actually think it is a good enough variation, like all of Kano's are, I just can't use it effectively at all.

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
I think Cybernetic does the best against all variations. Mid Knives and EX Knives make him have to be respectful with dash punches. and the for record "don't back up to the corner" is the game in a nutshell. anyone can kill you there.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
With Commando? Mostly feel like it's harder to "stay on them" than Cutt is. Like it feels like I'm constantly making hard reads and if I'm wrong I get blown up or give them roaming space. Then end up fighting through zoning to get back in against some characters. But even the ones without zoning. Like when I play a Sonya for example, which shouldn't be a tough MU for Comm I can't have consistent success. I think I play it too slow possibly, trying to parry her pressure or afraid to push the pace too hard in fear of counters and mixups. So it leaves me like "Derp" and then I switch to Cutt/Cyber and play the MU 100x better. Something similar to this seems the case most times I use it. For me it has become a "Cyber covers these MU's, Cutt covers the rest" and Comm looks through the window.

Like I don't have any issue with Cyber except about 3 MU's and think it's even better after the buffs, I'm continuously getting better with Cutt, but Comm feels like I hit a wall. It sucks because I actually think it is a good enough variation, like all of Kano's are, I just can't use it effectively at all.
It's all about practice. Commando is slightly counter intuitive cause it plays a lot differently than other characters. I base my game around b1 and knives. Knives to keep them out (MU dependant) and the go in with b1 or f4. Once they're in b1 range they have to guess when you're gonna command throw, something like b1 block, b13, b14 choke, b1 stagger into b1, s3, d1/4 tick, etc etc. probably not a style suited for everyone as if you're read you're dead but it's how I play it.