What's new

General/Other - Kano After the patch/hotfix: Here's my opinion on Kano

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
As I've mentioned on several different occasions, I honestly feel that Kano is a very delicate character that if buffed the wrong way, he'll skyrocket to the top. This is what we've seen in the patch but before the hotfix in Cutthroat Kano. Fast forwarding to now, where the hotfix is out. here is what I think about Kano in each variation.

Let's start with commando: The buff was cool, but I'm not gunna say that this buff is game changing because the damage scales too hard in combos, and the stand 3 doesn't have the best range. The more optimized combos that have been figured out pre patch are still better and more damaging. The hugest buff to this variation was the general fix to the up ball. More mind games can be played now and I am more than content.

Cybernetic: Overall I think this variation got buffed the most. The EX up laser adds massive damage in the corner. Which I don't believe was completely necessary but it's definitely a help to the variation.

Cutthroat: Cutthroat's new EX Buff as I now see is slightly nerfed. But that's ok. This is just something different to work with. It can be applied in several ways to make it devastating. I'll miss the huge damage but I don't think it was completely necessary given his toolset. The overhead and low starters are both safe on block without having to use meter. Safe high lows with 50% is not something he needs. and he can do without. There are benefits, there are flaws. But it is still great to me.

Overall I rank Kano right now with improvement from A Tier to A+. The fix to the up ball was the most important change to me across the board. I am happy with Kano. I hope you are too.

Coach Steve

Matix218

Get over here!
As I've mentioned on several different occasions, I honestly feel that Kano is a very delicate character that if buffed the wrong way, he'll skyrocket to the top. This is what we've seen in the patch but before the hotfix in Cutthroat Kano. Fast forwarding to now, where the hotfix is out. here is what I think about Kano in each variation.

Let's start with commando: The buff was cool, but I'm not gunna say that this buff is game changing because the damage scales too hard in combos, and the stand 3 doesn't have the best range. The more optimized combos that have been figured out pre patch are still better and more damaging. The hugest buff to this variation was the general fix to the up ball. More mind games can be played now and I am more than content.

Cybernetic: Overall I think this variation got buffed the most. The EX up laser adds massive damage in the corner. Which I don't believe was completely necessary but it's definitely a help to the variation.

Cutthroat: Cutthroat's new EX Buff as I now see is slightly nerfed. But that's ok. This is just something different to work with. It can be applied in several ways to make it devastating. I'll miss the huge damage but I don't think it was completely necessary given his toolset. The overhead and low starters are both safe on block without having to use meter. Safe high lows with 50% is not something he needs. and he can do without. There are benefits, there are flaws. But it is still great to me.

Overall I rank Kano right now with improvement from A Tier to A+. The fix to the up ball was the most important change to me across the board. I am happy with Kano. I hope you are too.

Coach Steve
Coach steve, what are the inputs for the new high damage corner bnbs for cyber that incorporate the air laser?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
You worded that Cutthroat section much nicer than any of us ever could lol. I wish I had that strength.

I agree with a good portion of what you said though. Cyber combos in the corner are amazing right now, the Comm buff is meh.

Just one thing that glares out. You said you think he is A to A+. That would mean he is on the lower end of the Top 10, as good as characters as D'Vorah and Erron Black. You can't possibly believe he is as good as these characters can you?

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
You worded that Cutthroat section much nicer than any of us ever could lol. I wish I had that strength.

I agree with a good portion of what you said though. Cyber combos in the corner are amazing right now, the Comm buff is meh.

Just one thing that glares out. You said you think he is A to A+. That would mean he is on the lower end of the Top 10, as good as characters as D'Vorah and Erron Black. You can't possibly believe he is as good as these characters can you?

I always thought he was great and can contend with most of the cast. Somebody said something to me a while back, they told me I underrate my skill and overrate my character. I explained to them what I think makes Kano really good, and what his flaws are. I don't ever underrate my skill. and if I felt a character was holding me back, I'll move on. I have no loyalty to characters. I learned from playing garbage in SF4 that if you want to win this isn't the way to go. I don't play the absolute cheapest stuff ever because I don't feel like it's 100% necessary to win. Unless i absolutely love the character and they happen to be that way, so be it. Like Aquaman in injustice. before the game came out we had a copy of the game in NYC for like a week. I told my training partners that if the Flash (my favorite character in the world) wasnt up to par, I will play the better character of green lantern and aquaman. I won't play a garbage or even an "in the middle" character because I don't want to over work myself and put more stress on myself than necessary. With that said. Kano can fight the best characters in the game and was always able to imo. As a tournament player, stress and constant hard work for a minor reward is just not healthy for you, a bad character can give you that. so can a mediocre character. I don't see that in Kano. I see a great character and will keep playing him.

I play all the cheap characters on the side, I always have to know for myself what the best of the best have to offer, and if I'm having a bad day or see a match up I don't like, I have options to not work as hard.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I always thought he was great and can contend with most of the cast. Somebody said something to me a while back, they told me I underrate my skill and overrate my character. I explained to them what I think makes Kano really good, and what his flaws are. I don't ever underrate my skill. and if I felt a character was holding me back, I'll move on. I have no loyalty to characters. I learned from playing garbage in SF4 that if you want to win this isn't the way to go. I don't play the absolute cheapest stuff ever because I don't feel like it's 100% necessary to win. Unless i absolutely love the character and they happen to be that way, so be it. Like Aquaman in injustice. before the game came out we had a copy of the game in NYC for like a week. I told my training partners that if the Flash (my favorite character in the world) wasnt up to par, I will play the better character of green lantern and aquaman. I won't play a garbage or even an "in the middle" character because I don't want to over work myself and put more stress on myself than necessary. With that said. Kano can fight the best characters in the game and was always able to imo. As a tournament player, stress and constant hard work for a minor reward is just not healthy for you, a bad character can give you that. so can a mediocre character. I don't see that in Kano. I see a great character and will keep playing him.

I play all the cheap characters on the side, I always have to know for myself what the best of the best have to offer, and if I'm having a bad day or see a match up I don't like, I have options to not work as hard.
I know what you mean. I could never have had success in Tekken using Asuka instead of Bryan, just can't happen. Maybe others, but not me. Not sure if I'd say Kano fit this bill. I have a ton to say but don't want to derail the thread lol.

Variation-wise, post patch which one would you say is the best? Prepatch I thought Cutthroat, but now I'm inclined to think Cyber is the better overall variation for competitive purposes.

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
I know what you mean. I could never have had success in Tekken using Asuka instead of Bryan, just can't happen. Maybe others, but not me. Not sure if I'd say Kano fit this bill. I have a ton to say but don't want to derail the thread lol.

Variation-wise, post patch which one would you say is the best? Prepatch I thought Cutthroat, but now I'm inclined to think Cyber is the better overall variation for competitive purposes.

Cybernetic probably. Commando is still up there with the up ball fix. it's a huge part of how that variation is played. Cutthroat still great to me too. never favored it over the others though. I did right before the hotfix but now it's pretty much gunna be played like prepatch, which is still very strong

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Cybernetic probably. Commando is still up there with the up ball fix. it's a huge part of how that variation is played. Cutthroat still great to me too. never favored it over the others though. I did right before the hotfix but now it's pretty much gunna be played like prepatch, which is still very strong
Yea post patch I think the Upball fix was the best thing to come out of it. Even moreso than the UpLaser corner damage because it's consistent now finally. I've tested it through all distances and multiple characters and its dead on. Pretty much a safe WU now if you burn the bar. A little better in the other two variations than Cutt since they don't blow as much meter.

I think Cyber is the best right now too. I'll be sticking to that variation and mixing in the other two. Corner combos are going above 40% for fairly simple BnB's now, which I do think he needed because his damage was one of the weakest in the game in this variation. Still has his other tools in Cyber. UpLaser shoots the stupid hitboxes out of the air as well so I no longer have to deal with Kung Jin's retarded Ji2. The changes allow Cyber to play more of his game will doing more damage in the process. Much better buff lol.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Does Cyber have the oh and low silliness of CT? Sorry, not at my computer to check for myself. Also.. Is Cyber as meter hungry? I'm not trying to derail the thread btw, so feel free to tell me to piss off, or PM me the info if that is preferred.

I still feel like CT got shafted. It certainly didn't need what it got initially, but.. Shrug.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Does Cyber have the oh and low silliness of CT? Sorry, not at my computer to check for myself. Also.. Is Cyber as meter hungry? I'm not trying to derail the thread btw, so feel free to tell me to piss off, or PM me the info if that is preferred.

I still feel like CT got shafted. It certainly didn't need what it got initially, but.. Shrug.
Nah only Cutt still has the OH. Cyber keeps a pretty good amount of meter on him. And yea Cutt got the short end of the stick, I'll be bailing on that variation and going back home to Cyber.

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
I think Cyber is the best right now too. I'll be sticking to that variation and mixing in the other two. Corner combos are going above 40% for fairly simple BnB's now, which I do think he needed because his damage was one of the weakest in the game in this variation. Still has his other tools in Cyber. UpLaser shoots the stupid hitboxes out of the air as well so I no longer have to deal with Kung Jin's retarded Ji2. The changes allow Cyber to play more of his game will doing more damage in the process. Much better buff lol.
Footsie or die :)

Go to the combo forum. I posted 2 in the corner that go 48 and 49 %. Midscreen there arnt really any up lazer combos cause he has no poo ups in strings save for ex grenade.
since you're here, is there an odd timing for it? I can't get it to hit against cassie.
currently @ poverty 43/44% damage on combos and 41% on restand which ain't bad but still.. optimization.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Footsie or die :)

since you're here, is there an odd timing for it? I can't get it to hit against cassie.
currently @ poverty 43/44% damage on combos and 41% on restand which ain't bad but still.. optimization.
Yes haha. Its stupid hard. Just showing potential haha. Doing somethinglike 112 laser b312 11 11 112 up laser ex j1 112 ball for 45%

EntropicByDesign

@MrInsaynne

I'm a newb, as I've stated in numerous other posts, so please take my question with a grain of salt and understand that I am not being a smart-ass, or trying to cause issue or start shit, or anything of the sort. Could you explain what CT Kano brings to the table that other character(s) do not? He seems to me to be a pressure heavy, rushdown character who wants you in the corner (every character in this game wants you in the corner).. But since that's a fairly common archetype in MKX, what does Kano have in CT that's better than other characters with a similar gameplan?

I am genuinely asking. I like Kano as a character. I like how he 'feels' when you play him. aesthetically I like him, etc. He interests me quite a lot, and I love me a grappler, so Im hoping to be impressed with Commando.. but, that aside, I dont see why CT Kano would be played over other rushdown, corner-centric characters? I am very uneducated when it comes to MKX and you're a pro, more-over you are one of a small handful of people touting Kano as an A-A+ tier character. If I do decide to learn him, its obvious that my scope of understanding is insufficient to approach him properly. From MY POINT OF VIEW (ie, uneducated and under-skilled) CT pays too high a price for damage and tools others have for 'free'.

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
@MrInsaynne

I'm a newb, as I've stated in numerous other posts, so please take my question with a grain of salt and understand that I am not being a smart-ass, or trying to cause issue or start shit, or anything of the sort. Could you explain what CT Kano brings to the table that other character(s) do not? He seems to me to be a pressure heavy, rushdown character who wants you in the corner (every character in this game wants you in the corner).. But since that's a fairly common archetype in MKX, what does Kano have in CT that's better than other characters with a similar gameplan?

I am genuinely asking. I like Kano as a character. I like how he 'feels' when you play him. aesthetically I like him, etc. He interests me quite a lot, and I love me a grappler, so Im hoping to be impressed with Commando.. but, that aside, I dont see why CT Kano would be played over other rushdown, corner-centric characters? I am very uneducated when it comes to MKX and you're a pro, more-over you are one of a small handful of people touting Kano as an A-A+ tier character. If I do decide to learn him, its obvious that my scope of understanding is insufficient to approach him properly. From MY POINT OF VIEW (ie, uneducated and under-skilled) CT pays too high a price for damage and tools others have for 'free'.

In Cutthroat you get an overhead string that is 0 on block and also allows you to convert for 40% on hit (more in the corner). 12f mid launcher that advances forward which very few characters have. He already has a good anti air (uppercut), safe reversal (-5 EX up ball). Decent projectile and Anti projectile move (EX Kano Ball that scores a hard knockdown and allows a 50/50). Overall his 50/50s don't not require bar being spent to be safe because he already is, while having a safe wake up which not everyone has either.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
@MrInsaynne you know something we both forgot? The stealth buff to Slice and EX Slice in Cutt. It being -8 on block now adds a lot more utility to how we can use the move, and makes it much better in the neutral as a long range poke with +12 on hit, safer to trip guard with EX Slice into combo, and against certain characters safe enough to use as a string ender or toss out on block to bait follow up attacks into us doing an armored reversal combo.

You know how I feel about the EX Buff change, but Slice and EX Slice is significantly better now all around.

EntropicByDesign

Fair enough. CT it is then.

Also, thank you for your reply and information.

Any PC Kano mains wanna take an apprentice? Lol

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
Nice write up. I agree we are still in a good place he not ruined by this patch/hotfix.

I'm still gonna use cutthroat and just make the best out of it. He can be really safe which is never a bad thing. I may not use exbuff as often but its still an option and ppl will respect it.

Now that my busy time of year for work is over after this weekend I can start getting my kano ready for some tournaments and I do think as a whole he can get me far if I use his variations to their strengths