What's new

[A Message from EVO Staff] EVO 2014 Injustice - Player Seeding, Who Should the Top Seeds Be?

nothingxs

EVO 2016 Head TO
There's no poll, though. I don't really care to organize your top 8. I just want to know who they are (or your top 16 (or your top 32)). :)

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
Opinion should not enter into it. People will cry about the outcome no matter what, at least use something objective, not the noise-o-meter.

I would consider only 2 options:
  1. Use the SRK rankings. Full Stop.
    Basically, it's what they're for. Patches, seasons, whatever. You can't make all of the people happy all of the time.
  2. Figure out what the seedings would be if there had been a Road to Evo. You have all of the results you need in the SRK rankings, but you'll need to just use the events that were/would have been Road to Evo like Sgt Reed suggested (which strips out smaller events and older ones) and the number of points awarded will work differently.
    Yes, the tournaments may have gone differently if people knew ahead of time that they would result in Evo seeding points being awarded, but c'est la vie.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Call me slow but what the hell is "Seeding?" is it that players who win at a local Region, get put in a certain spot b/c of their ranking or what?

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
Call me slow but what the hell is "Seeding?" is it that players who win at a local Region, get put in a certain spot b/c of their ranking or what?
Yes, though things are a little mixed up when you only have partial seeding.

Consider a "perfect" seeding in which a player will always beat all players with a lower seeding than them. A seeded bracket is then set up so that winners finals will be between the #1 and #2 seeds, winner's semifinals will be #1 vs. #4 and #2 vs. #3, and so on, with the idea being that top players are not knocked out early and the "best" matches happen late in the tournament. (Note that this also works out so that early matches will have the highest seeds playing the lowest seeds.)

In FGC tournaments generally not everyone is seeded; the top 8 players, for example, are selected but everyone else gets assigned a random location. This gets you something a bit intermediate where there are generally two seeded players in each pool instead of having weak and strong pools, but the seeded players don't have quite as a guaranteed easy path through the bracket. This also allows some flexibility in the brackets for doing thing like spacing out players from the same region.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Yes, though things are a little mixed up when you only have partial seeding.

Consider a "perfect" seeding in which a player will always beat all players with a lower seeding than them. A seeded bracket is then set up so that winners finals will be between the #1 and #2 seeds, winner's semifinals will be #1 vs. #4 and #2 vs. #3, and so on, with the idea being that top players are not knocked out early and the "best" matches happen late in the tournament. (Note that this also works out so that early matches will have the highest seeds playing the lowest seeds.)

In FGC tournaments generally not everyone is seeded; the top 8 players, for example, are selected but everyone else gets assigned a random location. This gets you something a bit intermediate where there are generally two seeded players in each pool instead of having weak and strong pools, but the seeded players don't have quite as a guaranteed easy path through the bracket. This also allows some flexibility in the brackets for doing thing like spacing out players from the same region.
Oh ok thnx, sound kinda one sided to me. Like for example not letting the Underdogs Vs the Top Players square off cuz of a certain rank. Like in every sport, you never know when the underdog may win and beat the better player but it is what it is.

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
Oh ok thnx, sound kinda one sided to me. Like for example not letting the Underdogs Vs the Top Players square off cuz of a certain rank. Like in every sport, you never know when the underdog may win and beat the better player but it is what it is.
Well they do square off, it's just guaranteed to be in the early rounds.

One other observation about this though: You may have often heard it said that you have to win twice as many matches to make it through loser's bracket into grand finals. This is only true if you get sent to loser's bracket in the early rounds, while a fully-seeded bracket aims to keep the top players in winner's bracket until the late rounds. An interesting side effect of this is that in the "perfectly seeded" case there is not a lot of spread in the number of matches each player has to play.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Well they do square off, it's just guaranteed to be in the early rounds.

One other observation about this though: You may have often heard it said that you have to win twice as many matches to make it through loser's bracket into grand finals. This is only true if you get sent to loser's bracket in the early rounds, while a fully-seeded bracket aims to keep the top players in winner's bracket until the late rounds. An interesting side effect of this is that in the "perfectly seeded" case there is not a lot of spread in the number of matches each player has to play.
Damn, so they have to work overtime then. Shit that kind of thing can mess with your brain and lose your concentration to win a x amount of matches vs a person doesnt really need to win as much.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
The problem with this, is your names after your top 8 are mostly names in the community. lots of them haven't hit a top 3 in a long time.
?

All of those people have made top 8 post-patch, except for 3 who have gotten 9th. Top 8 still means something.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
?

All of those people have made top 8 post-patch, except for 3 who have gotten 9th. Top 8 still means something.
Depends on the tourny, sometimes you only need to win 4 matches to make top 8, it's a horribly tough situation trying to seed people, you don't want it to end up like the one year when seeding points were given out like can't and 67 people were to be seeded, either way, people won't be happy, but I will, cause I'll be watching from home :)

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
Damn this is gonna be so stacked, cant wait to watch. Wish NRS would donate a little to the pot of gold like Arc did for BB :x

bavobbr

Noob
This is the list from http://rank.shoryuken.com/rankings/rank/IGAU
Edited to only account for tournaments after last EVO (see site for listings)

Code:
rank / name / team / total score / tournaments played / country
1    Forever King    KIT    5300    12     United States
2    Theo    FRQ    5115    6     United States
3    SonicFox    RG    4590    8     United States
4    KDZ    EMP    4400    6     United States
5    Jupiter    EMPR    3445    5     United States
6    16 Bit    GGA    2680    6     United States
7    Rico Suave    RG    2810    6     United States
8    NYChrisG    GG    1980    10     United States
9    DJT        1950    2     United States
10    Dartharma    EMP    1765    7     United States
11    Perfect Legend    FNATIC    1785    8     United States
12    Whiteboi    EMPR    1545    4     United States
13    Wound Cowboy        1460    4     United States
14    pimpimjim    GGA    1415    5     United States
15    REO        1395    7     United States
16    Pig of the Hut    EMPR    1165    4     United States
17    Tyrant        1080    3     United States
18    Noobe        1030    4     United States
19    Max    GGA    1020    3     United States
20    PLAYING TO WIN        1035    4     United States
21    HoneyBee        975    4     Canada
22    Saltface    EMPR    820    3     United States
23    Digit        785    3     United States
24    Harold    AK    700    3     United States
25    Smarrgasm    AK    685    2     United States
26    Revolver        680    3     United States
27    Scorpion Legend        650    1   
28    Zyphox    EMPR    605    2     United States
29    Gross        595    4   
30    Blind Ducky        630    2     United States
31    PR Balrog    EG    670    3     United States
32    Grr    EMPR    530    3     United States
33    MF Slayer        600    1   
34    Immortal Kombat        470    1     United States
35    Orochi        465    2     United States
36    Filipino Man    FRQ    455    2     United States
37    MIT        480    2   
38    Forever King Jr.        400    2     United States
39    KhaoTik        405    2     United States
40    Godspeed        430    2   
41    The Bat Muchacho        365    2     United States
42    Clark        380    2     Canada
43    Astronaut        350    1     United States
44    Rebelo        360    2     Canada
45    Ranmasama        360    3     United States
46    Elite Goomba    AK    315    2     United States
47    Glass Sword    AK    315    2     United States
48    Tom Brady    EMP    300    3     United States
49    WonderChef        300    2     United States
50    Falco        280    1     Australia

BartenderJeeves

Almost a bartender, but not exactly a bartender.
This is the list from http://rank.shoryuken.com/rankings/rank/IGAU
Edited to only account for tournaments after last EVO (see site for listings)

Code:
rank / name / team / total score / tournaments played / country
1    Forever King    KIT    5300    12     United States
2    Theo    FRQ    5115    6     United States
3    SonicFox    RG    4590    8     United States
4    KDZ    EMP    4400    6     United States
5    Jupiter    EMPR    3445    5     United States
6    16 Bit    GGA    2680    6     United States
7    Rico Suave    RG    2810    6     United States
8    NYChrisG    GG    1980    10     United States
9    DJT        1950    2     United States
10    Dartharma    EMP    1765    7     United States
11    Perfect Legend    FNATIC    1785    8     United States
12    Whiteboi    EMPR    1545    4     United States
13    Wound Cowboy        1460    4     United States
14    pimpimjim    GGA    1415    5     United States
15    REO        1395    7     United States
16    Pig of the Hut    EMPR    1165    4     United States
17    Tyrant        1080    3     United States
18    Noobe        1030    4     United States
19    Max    GGA    1020    3     United States
20    PLAYING TO WIN        1035    4     United States
21    HoneyBee        975    4     Canada
22    Saltface    EMPR    820    3     United States
23    Digit        785    3     United States
24    Harold    AK    700    3     United States
25    Smarrgasm    AK    685    2     United States
26    Revolver        680    3     United States
27    Scorpion Legend        650    1  
28    Zyphox    EMPR    605    2     United States
29    Gross        595    4  
30    Blind Ducky        630    2     United States
31    PR Balrog    EG    670    3     United States
32    Grr    EMPR    530    3     United States
33    MF Slayer        600    1  
34    Immortal Kombat        470    1     United States
35    Orochi        465    2     United States
36    Filipino Man    FRQ    455    2     United States
37    MIT        480    2  
38    Forever King Jr.        400    2     United States
39    KhaoTik        405    2     United States
40    Godspeed        430    2  
41    The Bat Muchacho        365    2     United States
42    Clark        380    2     Canada
43    Astronaut        350    1     United States
44    Rebelo        360    2     Canada
45    Ranmasama        360    3     United States
46    Elite Goomba    AK    315    2     United States
47    Glass Sword    AK    315    2     United States
48    Tom Brady    EMP    300    3     United States
49    WonderChef        300    2     United States
50    Falco        280    1     Australia

I'd go with this list.

nothingxs

EVO 2016 Head TO
Alright dudes, thanks a lot for your help!

Please go ahead and check out the live brackets.

If you have any concerns with the brackets themselves, go to the bottom left of the page, click on "send feedback," select the box / name of the person under the 'specific' tag (or just send a concern about the whole page) and let us know what you think. Your discussion was very helpful during the process!

oh god is it under two weeks for evo

oh god oh god

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
So the Beta Pools are out and it seems that only 8 players are seeded for the entire tournament. This seems to be a little too small a sample size and after reviewing the pools tons of high level players are playing each other first or second round while other pools literally have almost no one from even the top 100 on the SRK rankings.

Not sure if this is something possible for review but I thought top 16 or even 32 would be seeded for EVO.

@nothingxs anything you can shed light on for this?

EMPEROR_THEO

I only use characters with wakeup scoops.
Hey @nothingxs!

I noticed @WoundCowboy in my pool. We are both in the same coast and I believe Cowboy deserves some sort of seeding spot due to his top 4 place at a Grand Slam event (being MLG Anaheim). I completely understand that these are beta pools, but I would greatly appreciate a response.

Thank you!

(edit: forgive me for not reading your above post. I sent it in feedback as well)

Last edited:

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
We also have people who both just got top 8 at CEO playing each other in the first round (Saltface vs Digit)