What's new

[A Message from EVO Staff] EVO 2014 Injustice - Player Seeding, Who Should the Top Seeds Be?

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
PimpimJim: NEC 2013 winner, KIT Top 8
Theo: SCR 2014 winner, UFGT 2014 winner, MLG Anaheim winner
Jupiter: Apex 2014 winner, Civil War 2014 winner, East Coast Throwdown 2014 winner
ForeverKing: KIT 2014 winner, Youmacon 2013 winner, UFGT 2014 runner up, NEC Top 8, SCR Top 8
KDZ: Winterbrawl winner, Apex Top 8
Sonic Fox: Final Round winner, Winter Brawl runner up, Civil War 2014 runner up, Apex Top 8
WoundCowboy: Frosty Faustings winner, MLG Top 4
Rico Suave: Defend The North winner, Apex runner up

16 Bit: Final Round runner up, MLG runner up, UFGT 3rd place, KIT Top 8
Tyrant: NEC runner up, MLG Top 8
Whiteboi: MLG 3rd place, SCR Top 8, UFGT Top 8
Darth Arma: Defend The North runner up, NEC Top 8, Apex Top 8
DJT: SCR 2014 runner up
Noobe: NEC Top 8, Final Round Top 8
REO: Defend The North 3rd Place, Apex 3rd place, Final Round Top 8 (hasn't missed a Top 8 since the game came out)
Whiteboi was 3rd at UFGT and 16 Bit was 5th.
And what about me? Come on now.
ECT 2014 5th
Toryuken 2014 Winner
UFGT 2014 4th

PimpimJim: NEC 2013 winner, KIT Top 8
Theo: SCR 2014 winner, UFGT 2014 winner, MLG Anaheim winner
Jupiter: Apex 2014 winner, Civil War 2014 winner, East Coast Throwdown 2014 winner
ForeverKing: KIT 2014 winner, Youmacon 2013 winner, UFGT 2014 runner up, NEC Top 8, SCR Top 8
KDZ: Winterbrawl winner, Apex Top 8
Sonic Fox: Final Round winner, Winter Brawl runner up, Civil War 2014 runner up, Apex Top 8
WoundCowboy: Frosty Faustings winner, MLG Top 4
HoneyBee: Toryuken 2014 winner, ECT 2014 Top 8, UFGT 2014 Top 4
Rico Suave: Defend The North winner, Apex runner up

16 Bit: Final Round runner up, MLG runner up, UFGT Top 8, KIT Top 8
Tyrant: NEC runner up, MLG Top 8
Whiteboi: MLG 3rd place, UFGT 3rd Place, SCR Top 8
Darth Arma: Defend The North runner up, NEC Top 8, Apex Top 8
DJT: SCR 2014 runner up
Noobe: NEC Top 8, Final Round Top 8
REO: Defend The North 3rd Place, Apex 3rd place, Final Round Top 8 (hasn't missed a Top 8 since the game came out)
Good list imo but some of these guys arent going. I think naming more than 16 seeds should help.

Any accomplishments post patch such as top 8's at majors or regional wins should be counted towards seeding. Anything pre patch is just based off a different game.

Pre CEO all I have is a post patch win at TOTFC3 and top 4 at Winter Brawl. This might not be enough for a primary top 16 seed IMO but def a back up seed should someone in top 16 not register. I say that naming seeds pre CEO is incomplete. Someone could be a back up seed, place top or win at CEO and would stay a back up rather then move into a primary top 16 seed spot. That, or an already top 16 seeds places top or wins at CEO and they would stay a top 16 seed rather then move up to a top 8 seed.

This discussion should be postponed until after CEO.

Last edited:

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Wouldn't it be easier to seed out the best in each region? (names are just placeholders... i don't know enough to seed them proper).

So you'd have like.......
East Coast:
1: Jupiter
2: SonicFox
3: Arma
4: KDZ

Midwest:
1: ForeverKing
2: GGA 16Bit
3: Perfect Legend
4: (best texas player)

South:
1: WhiteBoi
2: Pig of the Hut
3: Noobe
4: (TOFC Winner)

West:
1: Theo
2: Tyrant
3: DJT
4: Ducky

and depending on how many brackets they choose, you break up the larger coasts. So West could become NorthWest/Vegas and SouthWest/Texas. Then you can split East into NorthEast and then The "below New Jersey" guys (Carolina's and Virginia... TOFC guys).

Wouldn't that at least give you an abundance of players to seed out not only by a number but by a region... to give a better representation?

IDK. just tossing out ideas.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Good list imo but some of these guys arent going. I think naming more than 16 seeds should help.

Any accomplishments post patch such as top 8's at majors or regional wins should be counted towards seeding. Anything pre patch is just based off a different game.

Pre CEO all I have is a post patch win at TOTFC3 and top 4 at Winter Brawl. This might not be enough for a primary top 16 seed IMO but def a back up seed should someone in top 16 not register. I say that naming seeds pre CEO is incomplete. Someone could be a back up seed, place top or win at CEO and would stay a back up rather then move into a primary top 16 seed spot. That, or an already top 16 seeds places top or wins at CEO and they would stay a top 16 seed rather then move up to a top 8 seed.

This discussion should be postponed until after CEO.
I prioritized tournament winners, top 3, then multiple Top 8's. Again, this was all from memory. I agree that we need more than 16 seeds in case any of the aforementioned players do not attend.

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
Wouldn't it be easier to seed out the best in each region? (names are just placeholders... i don't know enough to seed them proper).

East Coast:

Midwest:

South:

West:

and depending on how many brackets they choose, you break up the larger coasts. So West could become NorthWest/Vegas and SouthWest/Texas. Then you can split East into NorthEast and then The "below New Jersey" guys (Carolina's and Virginia... TOFC guys).

Wouldn't that at least give you an abundance of players to seed out not only by a number but by a region... to give a better representation?

I would put Orochi in the South as the 4th spot if he were to attend

BartenderJeeves

Almost a bartender, but not exactly a bartender.

East Coast:

Midwest:

South:

West:

Isn't Digit the best Texas player atm ?

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
@nothingxs

I think it is best just see who registers, and then go down the list on Shoryuken. http://rank.shoryuken.com/rankings/rank/IGAU?country=&pchar=&offset=50&max=50

Do you know how many pools will there be?

There should be two seeds per pool... so if there is 32 pools then seed 64 players. Or if there is 16 pools, seed 32 players and balance by skill and region accordingly.

Also ask guys from the community like @Mikemetroid who is knowledgable about regional seeding as well.

Thanks for asking for our input!

PS: Seed me I got top 8 at Civil War ;)

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
cause he's the best. And what if he does go to EVO ? should he be un-seeded ?
He hasnt played in any majors or locals in awhile. How do you know he's the best? I'm pretty sure someone who's actually been traveling and playing should get his seed. Putting REO above players like Darth Arma, or PPJ just seems wrong.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Why don't you just use the road to evo tournaments from last year (whatever tournaments those were) and then throw in the majors that weren't included and just look at whoever has placed the most consistently?

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
So he should seek out the "relevant players" in private?
No, I wasn't implying that either.

First of all, I was surprised that the Evo staff didn't have anyone knowledgeable about the IGAU scene, because making the choice internally would obviously be best.

Second, I mean they DO have their own ranking system, I guess they understand that it isn't too accurate too though, or they wouldn't be asking here.

Third, why not ask some of the TO's that SRK has been trusting for years? Someone they know is trustworthy? I mean asking a public forum like this essentially makes it a popularity contest right? Just seems weird.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26

First of all, I was surprised that the Evo staff didn't have anyone knowledgeable about the IGAU scene, because making the choice internally would obviously be best.

Second, I mean they DO have their own ranking system, I guess they understand that it isn't too accurate too though, or they wouldn't be asking here.

Third, why not ask some of the TO's that SRK has been trusting for years? Someone they know is trustworthy? I mean asking a public forum like this essentially makes it a popularity contest right? Just seems weird.

Ill agree on the popularity thing on a msg board...

nothingxs

EVO 2016 Head TO

I have some knowledge of the IGAU scene and I obviously have my own opinions on how I should do the seeding, but I value your opinion(s) pretty highly. So far a lot of the replies here have been very helpful and a lot of people share similar opinions to mine. The ranking system is pretty good, but it doesn't address all the concerns people have here (for instance: people are arguing for only post-patch, a few are arguing for anything post-Evo 2013, etc.). And I certainly see your concern about it turning into a popularity contest -- but so far, most of the answers have been surprisingly level-headed and they are supported by data that people have researched.

At the end of the day, the discussion is the most important part to help better educate me on where / what I should be looking at. I hope this addresses your concerns!

Yes, definitely yes
But... my wallet :(