What's new

A celebration of what Mortal Kombat X does RIGHT

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
One of the good things that MKX has is unique intro dialogues between the entire cast. It adds mini stories for every battle and more personality to the characters. Not to mention that some intro animations are godlike. Like Liu Kang enters fully covered in fire like Blaze or Human Torch and then shakes it off himself.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
#6. Badass character designs.

Dark Empress Kitana is even better. It looks like royalty, the black overall with blue accents was an excellent idea. The fans still match this shade of blue, I don't know how, but they fit fantastically. The woven skirt in the back was PURE GENIUS!!! But the legs are the ultimate best part, the boots look fleek as fuck, but still match the outfit. Everything works in this costume, and it goes to show one can look sexy in tons of clothing, and that NRS can make costumes like this.
Maybe because black matches with like... Everything? :DOGE

Israfel

Designer for BxA
#6. Badass character designs.

Mortal Kombat X has some of the best character designs in its history, maybe even in fighting games, and maybe even games in general. The costumes for the otherworldly characters feel untimely, yet futuristic, with a hint of past appearances. They're intricate, but not too intricate, and they look gorgeous when moving. The Default costumes all feel like a step above the MK9 Defaults, and they all embody the character entirely and beautifully.

Scorpion's design looks like a bit of everything he represents, the ninja/martial arts look, but the hood give it a darker feel, yet it all looks good for combat wear. However, it is still comparable to MK9 Scorpion, just more mature.

Same with Kitana, she gives me 9 lives with her wardrobe. Default shows her as a sort of renegade rebel. The metal add-ons are perfect, and the costume wouldn't look the same without them. They even took it a step further and made her fans compliment her look, the same emtal and colors of blue.

Dark Empress Kitana is even better. It looks like royalty, the black overall with blue accents was an excellent idea. The fans still match this shade of blue, I don't know how, but they fit fantastically. The woven skirt in the back was PURE GENIUS!!! But the legs are the ultimate best part, the boots look fleek as fuck, but still match the outfit. Everything works in this costume, and it goes to show one can look sexy in tons of clothing, and that NRS can make costumes like this.

Liu Kang looks good for a different reason. He's not great for the intricacy, but for the simplicity. It's no over the top complicated armor, its a simple tunic with the dragon logo in leather. And he still seems like classic Liu Kang.

Anyone else agree?
I agree....and I feel dirty agreeing with @KingKhrystopher

It also feels disturbing reading something from him that isn't absurdly vulgar, which is what I'm used to in my stream chat.....:confused::confused::confused::confused:

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
i havent looked through here yet but if it hasnt can we include the sound effects in this game.. i mean ... really how can most hate clone so bad when it and shatter sound soooooo good???

kjs staff?
jax's punches
kitanas fans

and lets not forget the voice lines
" your brother had more heart"

good lord, i gotta say , this game sounds good.

i havent looked through here yet but if it hasnt can we include the sound effects in this game.. i mean ... really how can most hate clone so bad when it and shatter sound soooooo good???

kjs staff?
jax's punches
kitanas fans

and lets not forget the voice lines
" your brother had more heart"

good lord, i gotta say , this game sounds good.
jax punch sound good

MKX is the greatest fighting game ever made PERIOD

The only 2 things in this game that are subpar are number of Arenas(getting the Pit but hopefully more) and the Netcode on PS4( It seems fine on the Xbox One) Beta starts soon

d3v

SRK
#1– Providing an offense-based alternative to the numerous defense-based fighting games out there

Now, I reckon this will be quite controversial to say, but I, for one, am very happy with the fact that MKX is predominantly geared towards offense rather than defense.

This is not to say that I think that defense-based fighting games are inferior – not in the slightest. Rather, I think it’s good that it’s helping to provide a greater variety of options for fighting game fans. There are already many defensive fighting games on the market right now (Street Fighter 4, Tekken, Injustice, largely Smash Bros etc.), so why not one that rewards offense more so than defense as well?

I especially believe this is important because a rather large number of folks still believe that rushdown is just a case of smashing blockstrings wildly and without thought – having a concrete example of how that simply isn’t true is very refreshing.
I find this statement to be pretty wrong and just shows a general ignorance of fighting games in general. The only somewhat defensive example that was given is SFIV, but the post AE vortex tech and set play has largely nullified that.

Moreover, there are a myriad of other fighting games out there that do offense much better than MKX does, because they're offense is emphasized not because of weak defensive tools.

Games like KI, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, KoF, etc. The pinnacle of smart offense in fighting games is likely still Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (and its spiritual successor, Skullgirls).
#2 – The variation system

True, MKX wasn’t the first fighting game to do this. But it’s definitely one of the most fleshed-out examples of the variation system in any fighting game, and in many ways, it’s a stroke of genius, as well as being a sign that NRS aren’t afraid to take risks.

On the one hand, you have characters like Reptile, where all three variations fight largely the same, but have the own unique ‘flavour’ (a lot like traits in Injustice) that allows Reptile as a character to appeal to a wider fanbase than he would have previously. But then you have characters like Takeda, where his Ronin and Shirai Ryu variations fight completely differently, and require entirely different strategies in order to be effective – in these cases, you effectively have 2 or 3 fully separate and distinct characters in one package.

It’s not quite the 29x3=87 functionally unique characters dream scenario, but all-in-all I feel pretty confident saying that NRS did a very good job of making most of the variations worthwhile, and that it provides more variety than, say, USF4 did with 44 regular characters.
The problem with the variation system is that it, more often than not, results in characters that are gimped to create variations. Or, even worse, characters that are taken out and transformed into variations for other characters (Jade/Mournful Kitana, heck the whole concept of Triborg)

True, a handful of characters that definitely are not viable exist, and ideally patches will help them out. But in terms of the proportion of the cast that’s viable, considering how diverse it is, easily at least half of characters are viable, if not more than that, and that’s actually far better than almost any FG could say even 10 years ago.
No.

Once again, this shows a lack of knowledge about fighting games in general. There are a good number of old FGs with a larger viable percentage of the cast than MKX. Games like the various Virtua Fighters, Darkstalkers 3, even Super SF2 Turbo (thanks to the counter picky nature of the game where low tiers can counter certain high tiers).

Even 3rd Strike, for all its balance issues, the most recent Cooperation Cup last weekend saw almost every character except for 1 get played.

IDYLEHANDZ

Slave to burgers
Who do you main?
I've struggled to find a main in this game. I currently have practice in with reptile, shinnok, kotal, ferra tor and a few others to a lesser extent.

In mk9 I played shang, and thus most all the cast. Shinnok is the nearest replacement for shang... but he doesnt have the same appeal to me.
Injustice i played doomsday, bane and zod mostly.

Kotal, fera/tor and shinnok are probably my favorites to play right now

One of the good things that MKX has is unique intro dialogues between the entire cast. It adds mini stories for every battle and more personality to the characters. Not to mention that some intro animations are godlike. Like Liu Kang enters fully covered in fire like Blaze or Human Torch and then shakes it off himself.
Even Liu Kang's victory animation is boss as fuck. He turns into a fucking 100 ft. dragon of fire and spits flames every where, turns back into his original form and itches his nose like its nothing.

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
Once again, this shows a lack of knowledge about fighting games in general. There are a good number of old FGs with a larger viable percentage of the cast than MKX. Games like the various Virtua Fighters, Darkstalkers 3, even Super SF2 Turbo (thanks to the counter picky nature of the game where low tiers can counter certain high tiers).

Even 3rd Strike, for all its balance issues, the most recent Cooperation Cup last weekend saw almost every character except for 1 get played.
To be fair I find there's more character variation overall in the Japanese scene than in the US - across all games. (SF4 might be different just from the sheer size of the playerbase, however)

VF being played primarily in Japan, and Co-op cup also having an event where teams of 5 players of a given character teamed up for a team tourney, I'd say those aren't exactly great examples.

Variety is up across the board from the late 90s games, however.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Can we talk about the smack talk during rounds?
Quan Chi to Sonya when he lands a trance
"Your entire family will serve me in the netherrealm"

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
Can we talk about the smack talk during rounds?
Quan Chi to Sonya when he lands a trance
"Your entire family will serve me in the netherrealm"
Some mid-round phrases are also golden.

"Fall into the darkness, hero" Shinnok to Liu Kang
"Earthrealm's champion" Quan Chi while taking Liu Kang into trance

And Liu Kang's "Use your head or lose it" which gave me best of the Quitalities I ever had: