What's new

A celebration of what Mortal Kombat X does RIGHT

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Yeah, it's easy to get into, but it's difficult to master. Casual players can study the tip of the iceberg of their favorite or most iconic characters, but those wanting a challenge can pick up D'Vorah, Predator, Liu Kang, and level up their gaming.
You make it look like struggling with inputs is what makes it difficult to master.

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
#6. Badass character designs.

Mortal Kombat X has some of the best character designs in its history, maybe even in fighting games, and maybe even games in general. The costumes for the otherworldly characters feel untimely, yet futuristic, with a hint of past appearances. They're intricate, but not too intricate, and they look gorgeous when moving. The Default costumes all feel like a step above the MK9 Defaults, and they all embody the character entirely and beautifully.

Scorpion's design looks like a bit of everything he represents, the ninja/martial arts look, but the hood give it a darker feel, yet it all looks good for combat wear. However, it is still comparable to MK9 Scorpion, just more mature.

Same with Kitana, she gives me 9 lives with her wardrobe. Default shows her as a sort of renegade rebel. The metal add-ons are perfect, and the costume wouldn't look the same without them. They even took it a step further and made her fans compliment her look, the same emtal and colors of blue.

Dark Empress Kitana is even better. It looks like royalty, the black overall with blue accents was an excellent idea. The fans still match this shade of blue, I don't know how, but they fit fantastically. The woven skirt in the back was PURE GENIUS!!! But the legs are the ultimate best part, the boots look fleek as fuck, but still match the outfit. Everything works in this costume, and it goes to show one can look sexy in tons of clothing, and that NRS can make costumes like this.

Liu Kang looks good for a different reason. He's not great for the intricacy, but for the simplicity. It's no over the top complicated armor, its a simple tunic with the dragon logo in leather. And he still seems like classic Liu Kang.

Anyone else agree?
MKX Liu Kang is his best design ever and the addition of main Dragon Logo makes him look like the protagonist of the series still.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I'll leave it to someone else to make the grandiose announcement, but netcode improvements are a part of the plan.

In a word, they're going to implement GGPO.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I'll leave it to someone else to make the grandiose announcement, but netcode improvements are a part of the plan.

In a word, they're going to implement GGPO.
This is probably the biggest news right now, but I'm a bit sceptical still. GGPO is good to effectively remove effects of minor lag on a stable connection. People, on the other hand, report absolutely different issues.

I hope that they will succeed regardless though, and also I hope community will be patient enough while it undergoes "field testing". Just remember what was KI like early, and how it is now before bashing problems we may run into at first.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
This is probably the biggest news right now, but I'm a bit sceptical still. GGPO is good to effectively remove effects of minor lag on a stable connection. People, on the other hand, report absolutely different issues.

I hope that they will succeed regardless though, and also I hope community will be patient enough while it undergoes "field testing". Just remember what was KI like early, and how it is now before bashing problems we may run into at first.
Them being willing means something. Its an undertaking. I thought they were just going to move on to Injustice.

This means possibly much better netcode for Injustice 2 as well.

Ahmad

Noob
It's the most consistent and sustained fun I've had since Tekken 2, but that's just me.

The gameplay, the graphics, the UI, the sound design, it's all fantastic. Usually in fighting games I only choose 2 or 3 characters to play with, but with MKX, I honestly have fun playing with everyone.

I used to love MK on MegaDrive/Genesis, played MK3 relentlessly, then MK4> came out and I thought it was all trash. Then MK9 reignited my love-affair with the franchise, and MKX took it to a whole other level. My only disappointments so far have been the netcode and no cyborgs (oh and the lackluster story), we know the cyborgs are coming, and hopefully the netcode will be fixed soon, too (I'm on PC so I'm still very anxious).

The future is looking bright for NRS and Mortal Kombat.

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile

Mortal Kombat X has some of the best character designs in its history, maybe even in fighting games, and maybe even games in general. The costumes for the otherworldly characters feel untimely, yet futuristic, with a hint of past appearances. They're intricate, but not too intricate, and they look gorgeous when moving. The Default costumes all feel like a step above the MK9 Defaults, and they all embody the character entirely and beautifully.

Scorpion's design looks like a bit of everything he represents, the ninja/martial arts look, but the hood give it a darker feel, yet it all looks good for combat wear. However, it is still comparable to MK9 Scorpion, just more mature.

Same with Kitana, she gives me 9 lives with her wardrobe. Default shows her as a sort of renegade rebel. The metal add-ons are perfect, and the costume wouldn't look the same without them. They even took it a step further and made her fans compliment her look, the same emtal and colors of blue.

Dark Empress Kitana is even better. It looks like royalty, the black overall with blue accents was an excellent idea. The fans still match this shade of blue, I don't know how, but they fit fantastically. The woven skirt in the back was PURE GENIUS!!! But the legs are the ultimate best part, the boots look fleek as fuck, but still match the outfit. Everything works in this costume, and it goes to show one can look sexy in tons of clothing, and that NRS can make costumes like this.

Liu Kang looks good for a different reason. He's not great for the intricacy, but for the simplicity. It's no over the top complicated armor, its a simple tunic with the dragon logo in leather. And he still seems like classic Liu Kang.

Anyone else agree?
Though I feel many characters have a strong primary it disappoints me infinitely to have the alternates be their mk9 outfits. Does it help with the timeline? Maybe a little bit. They spend very little time close to the tournament era. many of the characters tournament outfits just don't fit into this more grimy and realistic vision. It feels like they took the easy way out on this one. Especially when you look at the concept art and realize they had strong visuals that they just didn't put into the game in favor for a different design.

I will prolly beg forever for one of Reptile's concept art designs..

Now onto the bright side Reptile's primary is top notch. The bone armor fits Reptile like his own flesh. It makes so much sense as a more animalistic Zaterran Saurian. That mask design I could never top. It's perfection. For that I drink to you NRS.

kantboy-2

Ripper
The most fun I've had with a fighting game since the original Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter 5.

It made me buy a new game system just to play it.

Best character design in any MK game by far and the best intro system of any fighting game EVER. The game is still going through balance changes, so it should only get better.

And Kano is so manly, it makes TV's explode. Just saying...

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
MKX Liu Kang is his best design ever and the addition of main Dragon Logo makes him look like the protagonist of the series still.
Agreed, Liu Kang has never looked better. I thought his default skin was lame at first, but it really fits an alternate version of Liu who survived MK9 and became more peaceful. Tournament looks like something an actual monk would wear. The undead versions fit his role in the story very well.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Yeah and meanwhile we have the rest of the cast which mosty looks like shit.
Nah you think so?

In all of NRS's games I think this is closest they have ever gotten to having a balanced roster as in low tier is not as far away from top tier as it was in MK9 and IGAU they still have work to do but with looking like 4 patches left they can definitely do it.
The last patch definitely improved the balance a lot so if they can do big in 1 what can do in 4 :)

Who you play btw bro?

Last edited:

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Them being willing means something. Its an undertaking. I thought they were just going to move on to Injustice.

This means possibly much better netcode for Injustice 2 as well.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, the fact that this is being done (not sure if that was confirmed, but let's say it is), and this is after initial launch, so it means it's remaking network existing structure and code which is extra problematic - that's absolutely huge. If this will happen, it's gonna worth tremendous respect.

ErMac333

Noob
Yes, this game does a lot of things just right, the kharacter design is also something worth mentioning, Kitana and Scorpion being the best new designs in the game by far, honorable mention to Mileena btw. Too bad some of the kharacters didn't have the chance to get more than 1 of these amazing designs.

Interface design is by far the best ever in an MK game too, really good looking and minimalistic but keeping the MK identity alive, I even wonder how they're gonna top it in the next game cause it seems like quite the task for me. Towers are also a great element that they improved, visually and also how the single player scenario (and even multiplayer sometimes) work nicely around this koncept, really cool.

The only thing I'd say is that the roster is not so risky as I expected in the base game, specially with so many nice cameos with new designs, still glad this game introduced many new kharacters though.

MKX is definitely one the best things that happened to the franchise recently, and I'm anxiously waiting for more new stuff in MKX2/MKXI!

Though I feel many characters have a strong primary it disappoints me infinitely to have the alternates be their mk9 outfits. Does it help with the timeline? Maybe a little bit. They spend very little time close to the tournament era. many of the characters tournament outfits just don't fit into this more grimy and realistic vision. It feels like they took the easy way out on this one. Especially when you look at the concept art and realize they had strong visuals that they just didn't put into the game in favor for a different design.

I will prolly beg forever for one of Reptile's concept art designs..

Now onto the bright side Reptile's primary is top notch. The bone armor fits Reptile like his own flesh. It makes so much sense as a more animalistic Zaterran Saurian. That mask design I could never top. It's perfection. For that I drink to you NRS.
iron skin reptile plz

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...

When I first read the title the first answer that came to mind was the character designs. Everyone* looks absolutely fantastic and I especially love what they did to Mileena and her outfits were all fantastic and perfectly reflected the character: her primary, the Kahnum outfit, and Vampiress! (Tournament was a bit lacking but still good).

This is honestly THE best looking (fashion wise) fighting game I have ever seen. Yes, I'm that gay.

*EDIT: I forgot about Jacqui, she might be the worst dressed (especially after looking at the concept art versions!) but one out of the whole cast isn't bad.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
Nah you think so?

In all of NRS's games I think this is closest they have ever gotten to having a balanced roster as in low tier is not as far away from top tier as it was in MK9 and IGAU they still have work to do but with looking like 4 patches left they can definitely do it.
The last patch definitely improved the balance a lot so if they can do big in 1 what can do in 4 :)

Who you play btw bro?
You got me wrong dude, I meant the visual design of the game, not the character balance (which is awesome). Its only my opinion tho, most people I know like how the stages and characters look, how the music sounds and despite I fucking hate most of this stuff, I still play this game. Un-fucking believeable.

IrishMantis

You got me wrong dude, I meant the visual design of the game, not the character balance (which is awesome). Its only my opinion tho, most people I know like how the stages and characters look, how the music sounds and despite I fucking hate most of this stuff, I still play this game. Un-fucking believeable.
Oh sorry

Yeah your right, especially the music

Also why have you not added me yet?

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
As far as non-fighting games are concerned, I cannot comment on Smash Bros.
Smash is a fighting game. FG fans can be petty about it if they want but that's what it is. It's different, it's far from traditional, probably not even worth comparing in a thread like this, but it's a fighting game.

trufenix

bye felicia
I love this game. The story sucks and I want more grapplers, but its one of the most entertaining fighters I've ever played.

Error404

Noob
The thing I love the most about MK X is the return of running and stamina and how stamina is tied to backdashing and braking. It really ads another level of depth to the game. Stamina limits both extremely offensive and extremely defensive play (for the most part) . I just love it.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
Oh sorry

Yeah your right, especially the music

Also why have you not added me yet?
You mean on PSN? Stopped playing online some time ago, too frustrating. Anyway, I guess we can try next week since I Have a tourney tomorrow and will not be home untill sunday. Could use some Cage MU knowledge.

IrishMantis

You mean on PSN? Stopped playing online some time ago, too frustrating. Anyway, I guess we can try next week since I Have a tourney tomorrow and will not be home untill sunday. Could use some Cage MU knowledge.
Yeah for sure also my connection is godlike and obviously wired

Add me
It's the name I use here