What's new

A celebration of what Mortal Kombat X does RIGHT

Would I consider Mortal Kombat X to be the best fighting game ever created? In all honesty, the answer to that question is no. In fact, of all the mainstream fighting games that exist (Tekken, Street Fighter etc.), I wouldn’t say that Mortal Kombat X indisputably outclasses any of them – but at the same time, I also wouldn’t say it’s indisputably outclassed either.

Now, there are lots of little aspects of Mortal Kombat X that I’m not a huge fan of (and people who’ve seen me post will know that I’m not afraid to say what I don’t like!), but this thread isn’t about that. This is about the major things that MKX has gotten right – both as a sequel to MK9, and as a fighting game in its own right.

#1– Providing an offense-based alternative to the numerous defense-based fighting games out there

Now, I reckon this will be quite controversial to say, but I, for one, am very happy with the fact that MKX is predominantly geared towards offense rather than defense.

This is not to say that I think that defense-based fighting games are inferior – not in the slightest. Rather, I think it’s good that it’s helping to provide a greater variety of options for fighting game fans. There are already many defensive fighting games on the market right now (Street Fighter 4, Tekken, Injustice, largely Smash Bros etc.), so why not one that rewards offense more so than defense as well?

I especially believe this is important because a rather large number of folks still believe that rushdown is just a case of smashing blockstrings wildly and without thought – having a concrete example of how that simply isn’t true is very refreshing.

#2 – The variation system

True, MKX wasn’t the first fighting game to do this. But it’s definitely one of the most fleshed-out examples of the variation system in any fighting game, and in many ways, it’s a stroke of genius, as well as being a sign that NRS aren’t afraid to take risks.

On the one hand, you have characters like Reptile, where all three variations fight largely the same, but have the own unique ‘flavour’ (a lot like traits in Injustice) that allows Reptile as a character to appeal to a wider fanbase than he would have previously. But then you have characters like Takeda, where his Ronin and Shirai Ryu variations fight completely differently, and require entirely different strategies in order to be effective – in these cases, you effectively have 2 or 3 fully separate and distinct characters in one package.

It’s not quite the 29x3=87 functionally unique characters dream scenario, but all-in-all I feel pretty confident saying that NRS did a very good job of making most of the variations worthwhile, and that it provides more variety than, say, USF4 did with 44 regular characters.

#3 – Daring to do things differently

All things considered, MKX throws a lot of traditional fighting game ‘rules’ out of the window – and it’s an excellent change of pace once you stop expecting it to play the way you ‘want’ it to.

The armor system is particularly intriguing, given that it powers through most any attack, including throws, at the expense of the damage taken being unrecoverable. The idea of throws going through armour would cause an uproar in, say, Street Fighter 4, but in the context of MKX (where you can only store 3 bars of meter instead of 4, and where throws are very strong) it works nicely.

Another example – high attacks hitting crouch blocking opponents would be utterly absurd in most any other fighting game (doubly so the ones that are back-to-block!) But in MKX, you not only have many characters with safe d1s, you also have a wide variety of crouching attacks, many of which are safe and/or combo starters, to discourage the use of high attacks which would otherwise be overwhelming. For comparison, in the Tekken series, attacks that crouch under highs are usually unsafe on block – and if they aren’t, the reward on hit will be pretty low.

It breaks the rules, which is one of the main driving forces of positive change in the world. Who’s to say - 10 years from now, the ‘average’ fighting game might well closely resemble the MKX ‘outlier’ we know today!

#4 – The balance

OK, so in the interests of fairness, this is something that a lot of fighting game series seems to be getting better at since ~2009; it’s not really unique to MKX.

However, I feel that MKX deserves special merit because (with the possible exception of Smash Bros, I guess), its cast is among the most heterogeneous in any fighting game of recent, due to the aforementioned variation system. How each particular character aims to win varies dramatically. Street Fighter does a pretty good job of being heterogeneous as well, but in general almost all SF characters can fairly easily be divided into four or five different categories in terms of how they intend to play the game, so I’d argue there’s less ‘variety’ than in MKX.

If we consider a few characters generally believed to be top tier or high tier – ask yourself this. Does Kung Lao fight in the same way that Quan Chi does? Do either of those two fight like Shinnok does? Do any of those three fight how Tanya does, or Cassie Cage, or Johnny Cage? By and large, the better characters in the game fight in surprisingly dissimilar fashions. And this is without considering that even lower-mid characters have been shown to be viable as well.

True, a handful of characters that definitely are not viable exist, and ideally patches will help them out. But in terms of the proportion of the cast that’s viable, considering how diverse it is, easily at least half of characters are viable, if not more than that, and that’s actually far better than almost any FG could say even 10 years ago.

#5 – NRS learning from their mistakes

Even MKX’s harshest critics struggle to argue the fact that MKX is a noticeable step-up from MK9 gameplay-wise.

A lot of the more ridiculous aspects of MK9 (absurdly huge block damage, infinitely armoured safe combo starters, invincible wake-ups etc.) were either toned down or removed outright. Likewise, with respect to gameplay elements that originated in Injustice (mainly interactibles), they were toned down to a much more sensible and practical level.

Above all else, it shows that NRS are paying attention to how to make their games better. So when their next fighting game comes out (or, you know, the next patch for this very game), we can feel pretty confident that the changes they make are unlikely to do more harm than good.

Mostly I just want to give NRS credit where credit is due, particularly since there are very few threads about what makes MKX worth playing when compared to the threads about... well, the exact opposite.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
#6. Badass character designs.

Mortal Kombat X has some of the best character designs in its history, maybe even in fighting games, and maybe even games in general. The costumes for the otherworldly characters feel untimely, yet futuristic, with a hint of past appearances. They're intricate, but not too intricate, and they look gorgeous when moving. The Default costumes all feel like a step above the MK9 Defaults, and they all embody the character entirely and beautifully.

Scorpion's design looks like a bit of everything he represents, the ninja/martial arts look, but the hood give it a darker feel, yet it all looks good for combat wear. However, it is still comparable to MK9 Scorpion, just more mature.

Same with Kitana, she gives me 9 lives with her wardrobe. Default shows her as a sort of renegade rebel. The metal add-ons are perfect, and the costume wouldn't look the same without them. They even took it a step further and made her fans compliment her look, the same emtal and colors of blue.

Dark Empress Kitana is even better. It looks like royalty, the black overall with blue accents was an excellent idea. The fans still match this shade of blue, I don't know how, but they fit fantastically. The woven skirt in the back was PURE GENIUS!!! But the legs are the ultimate best part, the boots look fleek as fuck, but still match the outfit. Everything works in this costume, and it goes to show one can look sexy in tons of clothing, and that NRS can make costumes like this.

Liu Kang looks good for a different reason. He's not great for the intricacy, but for the simplicity. It's no over the top complicated armor, its a simple tunic with the dragon logo in leather. And he still seems like classic Liu Kang.

Anyone else agree?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
A celebration of propaganda...

#1– Providing an offense-based alternative to the numerous defense-based fighting games out there

Now, I reckon this will be quite controversial to say, but I, for one, am very happy with the fact that MKX is predominantly geared towards offense rather than defense.

This is not to say that I think that defense-based fighting games are inferior – not in the slightest. Rather, I think it’s good that it’s helping to provide a greater variety of options for fighting game fans. There are already many defensive fighting games on the market right now (Street Fighter 4, Tekken, Injustice, largely Smash Bros etc.), so why not one that rewards offense more so than defense as well?

I especially believe this is important because a rather large number of folks still believe that rushdown is just a case of smashing blockstrings wildly and without thought – having a concrete example of how that simply isn’t true is very refreshing.
As far as non-fighting games are concerned, I cannot comment on Smash Bros. because I am not adequately informed, but Street Fighter 4, Tekken 7, and Injustice are hardly "defensive fighting games". Just because these fighting games are not littered with safe 50/50 mix ups, standing resets, and incessant pressure does not make them defensive by nature.

Of course, defensive and zoning options exist in Mortal Kombat X, but they are dwarfed by offensive options in comparison. Being offensive is heavily rewarded while being defensive scarcely is. The primary reason is that the game requires far too many resources for everything that is defensive (i.e., backdashing, combo breakers, and the joke known as block breakers).

#2 – The variation system

True, MKX wasn’t the first fighting game to do this. But it’s definitely one of the most fleshed-out examples of the variation system in any fighting game, and in many ways, it’s a stroke of genius, as well as being a sign that NRS aren’t afraid to take risks.

On the one hand, you have characters like Reptile, where all three variations fight largely the same, but have the own unique ‘flavour’ (a lot like traits in Injustice) that allows Reptile as a character to appeal to a wider fanbase than he would have previously. But then you have characters like Takeda, where his Ronin and Shirai Ryu variations fight completely differently, and require entirely different strategies in order to be effective – in these cases, you effectively have 2 or 3 fully separate and distinct characters in one package.

It’s not quite the 29x3=87 functionally unique characters dream scenario, but all-in-all I feel pretty confident saying that NRS did a very good job of making most of the variations worthwhile, and that it provides more variety than, say, USF4 did with 44 regular characters.
The variation system is a gigantic gimmick. 90% of the time, the best variations are the ones with the best offensive options. If you want genuine variety, play Injustice or Mortal Kombat 9. Injustice has a versatile character (Martian Manhunter), a vortex character (Batgirl), a defensive character (Aquaman), and a zoning character (Zod) as the top 4 characters in the game while Mortal Kombat 9 has a versatile character (Kabal), a combo-heavy character (Cyrax), a defensive character (Kenshi), footsies and pressure characters (Cage and Sonya), a traditional zoning character (Freddy), an anti-zoning character (Smoke), and so on. Mortal Kombat X has characters with standing resets and/or incessant pressure. The variety is severely lacking.

omooba

fear the moobs

Mortal Kombat X has some of the best character designs in its history, maybe even in fighting games, and maybe even games in general. The costumes for the otherworldly characters feel untimely, yet futuristic, with a hint of past appearances. They're intricate, but not too intricate, and they look gorgeous when moving. The Default costumes all feel like a step above the MK9 Defaults, and they all embody the character entirely and beautifully.

Scorpion's design looks like a bit of everything he represents, the ninja/martial arts look, but the hood give it a darker feel, yet it all looks good for combat wear. However, it is still comparable to MK9 Scorpion, just more mature.

Same with Kitana, she gives me 9 lives with her wardrobe. Default shows her as a sort of renegade rebel. The metal add-ons are perfect, and the costume wouldn't look the same without them. They even took it a step further and made her fans compliment her look, the same emtal and colors of blue.

Dark Empress Kitana is even better. It looks like royalty, the black overall with blue accents was an excellent idea. The fans still match this shade of blue, I don't know how, but they fit fantastically. The woven skirt in the back was PURE GENIUS!!! But the legs are the ultimate best part, the boots look fleek as fuck, but still match the outfit. Everything works in this costume, and it goes to show one can look sexy in tons of clothing, and that NRS can make costumes like this.

Liu Kang looks good for a different reason. He's not great for the intricacy, but for the simplicity. It's no over the top complicated armor, its a simple tunic with the dragon logo in leather. And he still seems like classic Liu Kang.

Anyone else agree?
really curious as to what you do for a living.
feel like this is what my descriptive essays are supposed to look like.
good shit 100% agree.
i feel like most people overlook the artistic value in mkx compared to literally every other fighting game currently out. smash tekken KI sf4(and 5) whatever it is nothing comes close to mkx

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
There are already many defensive fighting games on the market right now (Street Fighter 4, Tekken, Injustice, largely Smash Bros etc.), so why not one that rewards offense more so than defense as well?
I wouldn't really classify Injustice as a defense-based game. Although there are some characters that can make use of defensive playstyles, the game has always been dominated by characters with withering offense: Batgirl, Pre-Patch Superman, Bane, Flash etc. There are characters that can play both sides of the fence, like MMH and Zod, but those characters are feared just as much for their ridiculous offense (Zod's trait and MMH's teleport + ambiguous setups and 50/50's) as the defense. Aquaman is probably the only majorly successful character you'd classify as mainly defensive, and he doesn't carry some of the bigger prizes (EVO wins, for example) that the hyper-offensive characters were able to snag.

If we consider a few characters generally believed to be top tier or high tier – ask yourself this. Does Kung Lao fight in the same way that Quan Chi does? Do either of those two fight like Shinnok does? Do any of those three fight how Tanya does, or Cassie Cage, or Johnny Cage? By and large, the better characters in the game fight in surprisingly dissimilar fashions. And this is without considering that even lower-mid characters have been shown to be viable as well.
Also as far as diversity of playstyles, I feel Injustice was stellar in that regard, much moreso than MKX. Is the difference between Quan Chi and Shinnok as great as say, Zatanna and Bane, or Hawkgirl and Flash, or Lex Luthor and Batgirl? Grundy and Batman? IGAU had the most diverse archetypes yet, and I feel that a lot of characters in MKX are much closer in approach.

IGAU had:
-Very strong zoners
-Strong footsie characters
-"Weird" floating and flying characters
-Strong rushdown characters
-Slow gadget/trap/setup characters
-A true grappler in Solomon Grundy
etc.

That said though, nice article, and cool to hear someone relish the more positive points of the game.

Last edited:

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
really curious as to what you do for a living.
feel like this is what my descriptive essays are supposed to look like.
good shit 100% agree.
i feel like most people overlook the artistic value in mkx compared to literally every other fighting game currently out. smash tekken KI sf4(and 5) whatever it is nothing comes close to mkx
Lol I have Gateway and Honors English, so our teachers always push us to write better.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
Awesome to see such a positive thread in a sea of hate :) I think MKX is one of, if not the best fighting game of the last 5 years. It is one of the few games that caters to the hardcore tournament player and the couch casual. Something for everyone
Yeah, it's easy to get into, but it's difficult to master. Casual players can study the tip of the iceberg of their favorite or most iconic characters, but those wanting a challenge can pick up D'Vorah, Predator, Liu Kang, and level up their gaming.

IDYLEHANDZ

Slave to burgers
My only real complaint about this game: How bad at it I am. It seems to be.. unreasonable in its difficulty. Don't know why. Injustice Zod nonsense and Shang in mk9. But MKX I can't get a grip on. :(

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
My only real complaint about this game: How bad at it I am. It seems to be.. unreasonable in its difficulty. Don't know why. Injustice Zod nonsense and Shang in mk9. But MKX I can't get a grip on. :(
Who do you main?

Goat-City

Banned

Anyone else agree?
You're absolutely right. What you said about costumes being intricate but not too intricate is dead on. Not only that, but the variation accessories make a lot of costumes look even better, like Erron Black in Gunslinger or Sub Zero in Unbreakable. They could've just made variations be strictly practical, but they chose to take the extra step and give them a unique visual design on top of that. That by itself has influenced me to pick certain variations over others or not pick a variation that I might have picked otherwise had I liked the accessory that came with the variation.

Also, some of my personal favorite costumes aside from the ones you posted are Quan Chi's primary, Kung Lao's tournament skin, Sub Zero's primary, Kano's primary, Kitana's tournament skin, and Kotal Kahn's primary.

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
Would I consider Mortal Kombat X to be the best fighting game ever created? In all honesty, the an

#5 – NRS learning from their mistakes

Even MKX’s harshest critics struggle to argue the fact that MKX is a noticeable step-up from MK9 gameplay-wise.

A lot of the more ridiculous aspects of MK9 (absurdly huge block damage, infinitely armoured safe combo starters, invincible wake-ups etc.) were either toned down or removed outright. Likewise, with respect to gameplay elements that originated in Injustice (mainly interactibles), they were toned down to a much more sensible and practical level.
Love the thread, haven't really had a chance to dive into MKX like i'd like to but I think I know a fair amount about it.

Gonna have to disagree with it being a "noticeable step-up" from mk9 gameplay wise. Aside from a few bugs and character balance MK9 wasn't bad at all. Tbh the block damage in MKX from characters like Liu/Tanya is probably on par or nastier than MK9 Kabal/Cage. There weren't many armored safe starters at all in MK9, there are a few in MKX and aren't some even + on block? I.M.O MKX could use better wake-up options to combat the heavy pressure and 50/50's

That being said, MKX is much more fun to watch than MK9. Balancing is some of the best i've ever seen. The diversity with variation system is incredible and brutalities are life <3. I probably won't try and be competitive in MKX because restands into 50/50's make me cringe, but it's a very good game no doubt. Love it

Excellent thread. I agree with all of your topics OP. I have to say so far MKX is the most exciting fighter to watch. I would like for some of the lower tiers to make it in but it's exciting still. It's definitely offensive heavy, and you would get lit df up if you tried a lot of the shenanigans in other fighters (SF, Tekken, etc.) King Khrys mentioned character design and I agree with that too despite a couple characters (Jacqui and Cassie). They got Predator dead on. Even his walk is on point. I also think the presentation overall is exceptional. If they improve the netcode as hinted, I'll be playing much longer than anticipated.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
A celebration of propaganda...

As far as non-fighting games are concerned, I cannot comment on Smash Bros. because I am not adequately informed, but Street Fighter 4, Tekken 7, and Injustice are hardly "defensive fighting games". Just because these fighting games are not littered with safe 50/50 mix ups, standing resets, and incessant pressure does not make them defensive by nature.

Of course, defensive and zoning options exist in Mortal Kombat X, but they are dwarfed by offensive options in comparison. Being offensive is heavily rewarded while being defensive scarcely is. The primary reason is that the game requires far too many resources for everything that is defensive (i.e., backdashing, combo breakers, and the joke known as block breakers).

The variation system is a gigantic gimmick. 90% of the time, the best variations are the ones with the best offensive options. If you want genuine variety, play Injustice or Mortal Kombat 9. Injustice has a versatile character (Martian Manhunter), a vortex character (Batgirl), a defensive character (Aquaman), and a zoning character (Zod) as the top 4 characters in the game while Mortal Kombat 9 has a versatile character (Kabal), a combo-heavy character (Cyrax), a defensive character (Kenshi), footsies and pressure characters (Cage and Sonya), a traditional zoning character (Freddy), an anti-zoning character (Smoke), and so on. Mortal Kombat X has characters with standing resets and/or incessant pressure. The variety is severely lacking.

You claimed variety was lacking... And then went on to name 4-7 characters from each other game. Last I check, 4-7 characters from any given game w 30+ isn't much "variety". You fool.