What's new

4 types of players. What type are you?

Yes

• Total voters
Tier whore means you're picking a character for the primary reason being that they're top tier. Picking a character from their day 1 release doesn't make you a tier whore.
What if you pick a character up the day they come up because you look at their tools and are like, yup this character is goign to be broken... i wanna break them.... does that make me a tier whore?? I plan on looking through all the characters at the beginning of mkx and picking the one i think will be broken... they have to have a lot of tools that i want to play with though... simplistic won't keep my attention.

So i guess i am a tier whore...but i want to be loyal to the character i deem most broken and put time into them

Last edited:

Gurpwnder

Saikyo Student
It's funny, because as a player I enjoy playing lame but all the characters I like are rushdowners by design (Dan, Paul, Johnny Cage, DK, etc.)

Insuperable

My mom tells me I'm pretty
What if you pick a character up the day they come up because you look at their tools and are like, yup this character is goign to be broken... i wanna break them.... does that make me a tier whore?? I plan on looking through all the characters at the beginning of mkx and picking the one i think will be broken... they have to have a lot of tools that i want to play with though... simplistic won't keep my attention.

So i guess i am a tier whore...but i want to be loyal to the character i deem most broken and put time into them
The outcome shows that you are a character loyalist, but the reasoning for picking the character stems from being a tier whore. If they were not top tier, you would have no reason to be loyal to these characters.

Peckapowa is someone I want to make an example of quickly. If anyone wants my opinion, I believe that being a tier whore is the smartest thing to do as a competitive player. However, you must also be loyal to the character. If anyone has seen Pecka's character pool, they usually consist of 2-3 characters. These characters are always top tier. Having a character pool could lead to many pros and cons, but Pecka grinds these few characters out as much as he can. He doesn't only select a character for a matchup, unless he grinds it to the highest level.

Hades

Noob
I always play multiple characters but use them equally with each other. For some reason I seem to enjoy bouncing between different characters but I always end up using the character around the same amount as another. I also enjoy playing as characters with effective zoning as well as good combo/set up potential and end up playing multiple characters like this. Playing GL, Superman and Aquaman in IGAU. Ermac, Sektor and Smoke in MK. What this classed as @Insuperable ? character crisis?

Insuperable

I always play multiple characters but use them equally with each other. For some reason I seem to enjoy bouncing between different characters but I always end up using the character around the same amount as another. I also enjoy playing as characters with effective zoning as well as good combo/set up potential and end up playing multiple characters like this. Playing GL, Superman and Aquaman in IGAU. Ermac, Sektor and Smoke in MK. What this classed as @Insuperable ? character crisis?
Are you 100% confident that you can win any matchup, that your other characters struggle in, at the absolute highest level? For example, Ermac and Smoke lose badly to Kabal. Sektor does the best out of those 3. Would you feel confident bringing your Sektor to verse REO in tournament play? If not, you're in a character crisis.

Hades

Noob
Are you 100% confident that you can win any matchup, that your other characters struggle in, at the absolute highest level? For example, Ermac and Smoke lose badly to Kabal. Sektor does the best out of those 3. Would you feel confident bringing your Sektor to verse REO in tournament play? If not, you're in a character crisis.
hmm.. not 100% sure how to answer this but i guess i play better with some characters against others regardless of the match up. For example for some reason i hate playing Aquaman versus Batgirl even though thats a 7-3 Aqua favour, I almost always go to GL simply because I play better with GL against Batgirl. It's the same with MMH. For some reason I like playing as GL against martian more than Superman even though GL's lack of mobility can get him wrecked. I don't know it's weird, i'm not to sure what i'd be then but i feel more confident using certain characters against other characters but i'm not limited to only playing that character against that certain character either if you get what I mean. Like I can still play Supes against MMH but for some reason i prefer using GL

Insuperable

hmm.. not 100% sure how to answer this but i guess i play better with some characters against others regardless of the match up. For example for some reason i hate playing Aquaman versus Batgirl even though thats a 7-3 Aqua favour, I almost always go to GL simply because I play better with GL against Batgirl. It's the same with MMH. For some reason I like playing as GL against martian more than Superman even though GL's lack of mobility can get him wrecked. I don't know it's weird, i'm not to sure what i'd be then but i feel more confident using certain characters against other characters but i'm not limited to only playing that character against that certain character either if you get what I mean. Like I can still play Supes against MMH but for some reason i prefer using GL
You're in a character crisis imo. It doesn't sound like you would be 100% confident in going into matchups with your secondaries, at the highest level. It seems as if your character pool is restricting you because you said you're not limited to only playing one character in a certain matchup. That's not necessarily a bad thing; however, assume you only played one character and you grind the matchup continuously at a high level, you would most likely feel more comfortable in that matchup with whatever character you decide to do that with.

It sounds like you use GL as your main go-to character. You say that Aquaman vs Batgirl is 7-3 Aqua, but you decide to go Green Lantern because you feel more comfortable with it. If you were versing Sonic Fox First-To-3, and he perfects your Green Lantern with Batgirl 2-0, would you stick to your Green Lantern or go to Aquaman? If you switch to Aquaman, you don't have much experience in the matchup because you always use Green Lantern for better results. However, Sonic Fox perfected your Green Lantern twice, so if you stick with him he may already have you figured out.

JDM

Noob
A bit of a character loyalist and tier whore.

I always use my favorites first, but if a character has a clear advantage over the rest I usually succumb to picking them. I still have to enjoy their playstyle though.

deg222

Best Zatanna that uses Aquaman
Please, I only use Aquaman for certain MUs and only use Harley for DD now. A tier whore would switch to a top tier and use that character for every MU and occasionally switch to other characters.

I am a character loyalist and a tier whore at the same time. I won't use a character that isn't at least top 10. I don't want to limit myself and I when I lose I lose and it is probably not because of the character unless it is a 7-3 matchup or worse.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
I'm character loyal. Most times I pick characters via a combination of things not necessarily only how they play, sometimes I'll choose them before any gameplay is shown simply because they look cool or have interesting stories. I do that with every fighter. I have switched occasionally from one main to another for the same reasons but it's only happened a few times. I also typically stick with my "rule of two" nothing beyond a main and a secondary. In the years I've been competing in the FGC I've ended up playing tiers across the spectrum because of this heh.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Just for grins *and boredom* my characters. The first in each "list" is my main followed by secondary

Mortal Kombat: Scorpion, Sub-Zero

Mortal Kombat 2: Scorpion, Sub-Zero

Mortal Kombat 3: Robo-Smoke, Sub-Zero

UMK3: Human Smoke, Robo-Smoke

MK4: Scorpion

MKT: scorpion, Human Smoke, (pocket noob saibot)

MKDA: Scorpion, Frost

MKD: Scorpion

MKA: Scorpion, Frost

MK vs DC: Scorpion, Batman

MK9: Scorpion, Johnny Cage

MKX: will be Scorpion, secondary interest atm is Cassie Cage

injustice: Raven, Bargirl

Soul Calibur 2: Talim, seong-mina(console), kilik(arcade since mina wasn't in it)

Soul Calibur 3: Talim, Seong-Mina

Soul Calibur 4: Talim, The Apprentice(starkiller)

Soul Calibur 5: Viola, Leixia

Killer Instinct: Cinder, Orchid

Killer Instinct 2: Orchid

Killer Instinct "3": Orchid(though it will become: Maya, Orchid. Another example of character design choice. Maya looks cool as hell in this version but no gameplay yet)

Street Fighter 2 series: Ryu

Street Fighter alpha series: ryu(alpha 1) then for alpha 2-3: Sakura, Ryu

SF third strike: Ryu

Street Fighter 4(Vanilla, Super, AE): Sakura, Ryu. (ultra): Sakura, Evil-Ryu

BlazBlue (CT, CS, CS2, CSE) Taokaka. (Chronophantasma): Kokonoe, Taokaka

Tekken 5.0: (for 3 months): Kazuya. (After 3 months): Jin, Kazuya.

Tekken 5.1: Jin, Kazuya

Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection: Jin, Lili(another example. Chose her from her reveal picture)

Tekken 6: Jin, Lili

Tekken Tag Tournament 2: (Jin/Lili) and sometimes as secondary team: (Jin/Devil-Jin)

Tekken 7: TBA as only Kazuya, Heihachi, Lars are confirmed but intend it to be: Jin, Lili.

Super Smash Bros: Pikachu

SSB Melee: Pikachu, Shiek

SSB Brawl: Pikachu, Sheik, Zero-Suit Samus

SSB Wii/3DS: Pikachu, Sheik, Zero-Suit Samus, Rosalina

Whew. Just realized I've been around the block over the years good lord.

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I always pick the right character for me, when that happens i stick with it, so i might switch a few times until i find it.

In MK9 was Skarlet, IGAU during the time i spent i mained green Arrow all the way, tried B-Girl but wasn't having much fun with her.

orochiDragon

PSN OROCHI-dragon / Archangel-44
I really hate how many bad match up's Ares has but I stick with the character anyway. I would much rather learn my bad match up's and try to play a perfect game. Im not insulting anyone intentionally, but heavy counter picking ( unless you play at the highest level) is a bit lame in my opinion.

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
mained smoke before I knew he was good, ground out all his MUs to an extreme and hes my go-to character. but I have a blast with my kabal / lao / cyrax. idk I guess that makes me an S-tier loyalist

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Since I switched from Kabal to Skarlet never thought for a second to drop her or switch her, unless technical issues etc converter lag :-(.

BartenderJeeves

Almost a bartender, but not exactly a bartender.
If I go to a tournament I'd probably 100% be a character loyalist, but because I'm an online warrior I'd have to pick the hidden 5th option: "play the character I find most fun at that particular moment.