What's new

General/Other - Sub-Zero 3 Variations of Sub-Zero discussion

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Gives a reason to level up your AA, I guess *Shrugs*

Deep JK Ice Clone will be miss though ;(
But if other characters can jump in the air and use their special moves... why can't sub clone? Damn bias NRS bastards.

I suppose cyromancer sub can but pfft... I don't think I'll be touching him much.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
But if other characters can jump in the air and use their special moves... why can't sub clone? Damn bias NRS bastards.

I suppose cyromancer sub can but pfft... I don't think I'll be touching him much.
NRS thought JK Ice Clone was too cheap :DOGE

But on the real though can Ice Burst be use as an AA? I guess time will only tell...

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Well, it was reported that is does with those available at the time of mass exhibitions, so... But it still may fail to duck those that matter :DOGE
:DOGE:DOGE:DOGE
Really? Also, is his ice aura acting like Doomsday's trait or Jade's glow, or is he just taking less damage?

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Also, is his ice aura acting like Doomsday's trait or Jade's glow, or is he just taking less damage?
I'm curious too. Some said it reduces chip damage, streamers were talking about just "damage" (maybe I should rewatch that, but I'd rather just wait for the game). Armor-like properties weren't shown either way.

As of those two options, they at least make sense even if there's no armor. He's supposed to block a lot (I guess) and his parry is probably punishable as always, so taking less damage from doing USZ thing is kind of welcome.

ando1184

Noob
Did anyone else from the stream notice how shinnok easily punished the activation of SZ ice clone when he did it in the corner? If he doesn't have any good frame data that allow him to safely put out a clone then his corner game looks more gimmicky now and the ice clone is yet again nerfed.....Did I just see wrong, or if this is the case than other characters might have dirt for this as well?

sIllverback

Lin Kuei Grandmaster
Did anyone else from the stream notice how shinnok easily punished the activation of SZ ice clone when he did it in the corner? If he doesn't have any good frame data that allow him to safely put out a clone then his corner game looks more gimmicky now and the ice clone is yet again nerfed.....Did I just see wrong, or if this is the case than other characters might have dirt for this as well?
That was after a block string, so I'm thinking the data might be a bit off, and the string that was used didn't really seem to push back all that far like 212~clone and 214~clone do in MK9. On knockdown, I'm hoping that the clone ends up being a lot safer and can't get armored through on reaction again. Although at this point, I'm used to it. :DOGE

loogie

Noob
That was after a block string, so I'm thinking the data might be a bit off, and the string that was used didn't really seem to push back all that far like 212~clone and 214~clone do in MK9. On knockdown, I'm hoping that the clone ends up being a lot safer and can't get armored through on reaction again. Although at this point, I'm used to it. :DOGE
the string that was being used in the stream (vs Shinnok in the corner) looked like a hit was missing from it :) maybe it does have a 2 at the end or a 4... I think the inputs for it were 21 if you look at the input commands on screen

sIllverback

Lin Kuei Grandmaster
the string that was being used in the stream (vs Shinnok in the corner) looked like a hit was missing from it :) maybe it does have a 2 at the end or a 4... I think the inputs for it were 21 if you look at the input commands on screen
If this is the case, then using clone to end block strings midscreen will be just as viable as long as they grant enough push back. My original point was that it's going to be hard to create enough distance with block string -> clone if the string doesn't push Sub out of the corner enough on block already. We haven't seen it on knockdown yet, however, and just looking at the other stuff he has (double freeze combos, faster projectile ducking slide, etc.) gives me high hopes that Sub is just as good, if not better than, early MK9.

Well, different strings/normals have different cancel advantage, so only time will tell which strings have the best cancel adv and therefore how practically and safely he can get the clone out on a blockstring.

Imperium

Noob
If this is the case, then using clone to end block strings midscreen will be just as viable as long as they grant enough push back. My original point was that it's going to be hard to create enough distance with block string -> clone if the string doesn't push Sub out of the corner enough on block already. We haven't seen it on knockdown yet, however, and just looking at the other stuff he has (double freeze combos, faster projectile ducking slide, etc.) gives me high hopes that Sub is just as good, if not better than, early MK9.
What do you mean by double freeze combos?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
So did anyone watch that 25 minutes of story mode video?!

Sub Zero used something I had seen him do before... He was in the corner vs Johnny Cage and like this spiked ice shell formed around him and knocked cage back...

Wonder if that's Unbreakable Sub Zero specific?

Imperium

Noob

Sub Zero used something I had seen him do before... He was in the corner vs Johnny Cage and like this spiked ice shell formed around him and knocked cage back...

That's just his breaker animation.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine

Um... Didn't he just break? I think I've seen a single breaker during that video...
Edit: Ninja'd.

sIllverback

Lin Kuei Grandmaster
You know....sometimes not putting a clone on the screen is scarier than having one. Fuudo for thought
I realize this. Just stating that it is an option to end strings in clone a la-MK9 214~clone. If this option isn't even safe midscreen and an opponent can blow straight through it with armor on reaction for a punish, that's an entire option down the drain.

sIllverback

Lin Kuei Grandmaster
What do you mean by double freeze combos?
From what I understand, Sub Zero can freeze twice in his combos. (eg. EX Ice Blast, f. dash, launcher string, juggle string~ice blast, juggle string, ender string~slide) Or something to that effect.

Imperium

Noob
From what I understand, Sub Zero can freeze twice in his combos. (eg. EX Ice Blast, f. dash, launcher string, juggle string~ice blast, juggle string, ender string~slide) Or something to that effect.
That would be pretty amazing if true, but I haven't seen that in action yet. Can't wait for confirmation on his big combos.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
I realize this. Just stating that it is an option to end strings in clone a la-MK9 214~clone. If this option isn't even safe midscreen and an opponent can blow straight through it with armor on reaction for a punish, that's an entire option down the drain.
it was still punishable in mk9 by a lot of chars. Doesn't mean completely unviable. I will reserve judgment for now.