What's new

3/5

I travel to tournaments as well. TOs aren't the problem.

I don't see what time in the scene has to do with anything. I saw how drained Valle was from planning SCR first hand. Maybe you should run your own tournament if you think it's that easy. I'm not sure why you had to bring my hair into this. That wasn't very nice. You seem insecure. I can give you my gym split and some diet tips if you'd like, maybe that'll help.

I live in SoCal, in a neighborhood on the west side of Anaheim. My name is Brad Payn, I'm 19 years old. I believe in taking care of myself, in a balanced diet, and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if I'm not feeling as swole, I'll take a teaspoon of creatine right before I head to the gym for some bar dips, I can do 1,000 now. In the shower, I generally wash my face down with a warm wash cloth, followed by an old spice body scrub. Then I get out of the shower and let my hair air dry for ten minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. If I'm feeling a little scruffy I'll shave using a razer and some water, because shaving cream drys your face out, and makes you look older. For my hair I use Gatsby rubber, to keep it in place, followed by American Crew pomade to give it that smooth, wavy look. There is an idea of a Doomsday player, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me. Only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours, and maybe you can sense our lifestyles are probably comparable; I simply, am not, there.
*slow clap* amazing execution

Fromundaman

I write too much.
3/5 definitely works and FT5 for grand finals
FT3, sure, but FT5 is not a good idea. That takes FOREVER, especially if there's a reset. We did that at a 9 man tournament once (3/5 up and FT5 GF) and it took forever. By the end of the reset set, both players were tired as shit of playing and TBH the matches got progressively less hype as we went on. An 8-10 match GF is just too much.

I love that we live in a world where people are capable of planning and executing some of the most complex and monumental projects in a timely and accurate manner, but the logistic difficulty of playing 3/5 sets in a tournament is somehow supposed to be something us mere mortals (as in, non TO's) cannot begin to fathom.
Well I don't know about timely manner... The highway near my house has been under construction since sometime before I moved here 3 years ago.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
You guys like to compare this game to Marvel and Tekken, but I think it is more akin to Super Turbo.
The Marvel comparison is due to the fact that there are no rounds in a match, so there's no automatic reset like there is in a lot of FGs. KI would also be a realistic comparison.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
There was a year at EVO for MVC2 or CVS2 (I forget) the grand final was FT1 because they ran out of time
Yup, I know what you're talking about. The rumor is that it was because they thought the guy in losers had a better chance of beating JWong in grand finals if he had to win less games.

evo ran 1 game instead of 2/3 a few times over the years

iirc it happened a couple times with cvs2, 1 game until top 8 then 2/3 for the rest (EDIT: may have been 2/3 only for grand finals at least one year, i forget). they weren't nearly as professionally organized back then and that game takes FOREVER to run, so it was understandable. gave us arturo making a top 8 in that game, over buktooth no less!

the most infamous case was evo 2007, when 3rd strike got a rush of last-minute signups that screwed up all their scheduling. it had over 340 people that year, by far the most for any evo tournament before sf4...and they had to make the whole thing 1 game until top 8. given the nature of that game with its high damage and parries, there were a TON of ridiculous upsets; someone named Mike Wakefield placed 4th, while someone from texas got 5th with *necro*. this one tourney was THE reason evo switched to online pre-reg only, matter of fact!