What's new

Match-up Discussion (1.06) Superman Matchup Discussion

Espio

Kokomo
Do we have anything to deal with the wing evade crossup shenanigans or just push block and get the hell out?
At certain ranges you can neutral jump to punish wing evade 3 but that's like if the wing evade crossing up puts her at a far away distance and she tries to wing evade 3 back in again.

You can pushblock if you want but I don't personally think it's worth it unless you can zone her out or you have a huge lifelead and just don't wanna guess.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
I'd have to revisit this match with you. I'm not sure what strings id have to punish (if applicable) or to counter her pressure

Espio

Kokomo
I'd have to revisit this match with you. I'm not sure what strings id have to punish (if applicable) or to counter her pressure
Well any match up you want to run and grind out whether it be Hawkgirl or Martian Manhunter, I'm willing to help you and anybody else interested out.

Just hit me up on Skype or something.

LEGEND

YES!
So anyone got tips for the zod matchup? I seem like when he puts me full screen I just lose and he can backdash all my f23 pressure.
you have to make reads on zod's backdash and do 2 forwards dash's to punish him with F23 (no hesitation, just mash forward dash if you think he'll backdash out)

getting past his zoning can be a pain once he gets multiple instant air zod balls going. All you can do is walk, be patient and hope he messes one up. I sometimes throw heat zap out hoping to catch an incorrectly executed zod ball. Waking up with MB superman punch can sometimes eat a zod ball with its small window of invulnerability and the armor will usually beat beat whatever else after (i don't advise going for this often)

in the full screen neutral game, use heat zaps on read to beat air zod balls and use air laser to beat his sidearm. Also knowing the timing for a meaty heatzap is very helpful in this MU since you get enough plus frames for a free dash in and it keeps him from jumping back, backdashing or waking up with a projectile

Don't wake-up in the corner if Zod has meter since his MB F3 will beat all you options. Its better to just block him since he doesn't really have any legit mix-ups up close without trait

knowing the timing to beat his wake-ups is also big deal

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
you have to make reads on zod's backdash and do 2 forwards dash's to punish him with F23 (no hesitation, just mash forward dash if you think he'll backdash out)

getting past his zoning can be a pain once he gets multiple instant air zod balls going. All you can do is walk, be patient and hope he messes one up. I sometimes throw heat zap out hoping to catch an incorrectly executed zod ball. Waking up with MB superman punch can sometimes eat a zod ball with its small window of invulnerability and the armor will usually beat beat whatever else after (i don't advise going for this often)

in the full screen neutral game, use heat zaps on read to beat air zod balls and use air laser to beat his sidearm. Also knowing the timing for a meaty heatzap is very helpful in this MU since you get enough plus frames for a free dash in and it keeps him from jumping back, backdashing or waking up with a projectile

Don't wake-up in the corner if Zod has meter since his MB F3 will beat all you options. Its better to just block him since he doesn't really have any legit mix-ups up close without trait

knowing the timing to beat his wake-ups is also big deal
When you say knowing the timing to beat his wake ups are you talking about with Heat vision, or in general? I also have recently fought against @Gunshows Zod and I got mauled. Zods zoning seems a lot harder for superman to deal with than most. I thought for sure Heat zap would be my answer as a way to make my way in but side arm kills that, and Idk if you can react to side arm at all. Plus the fake outs that he has with low laser is really annoying.

LEGEND

YES!
When you say knowing the timing to beat his wake ups are you talking about with Heat vision, or in general? I also have recently fought against @Gunshows Zod and I got mauled. Zods zoning seems a lot harder for superman to deal with than most. I thought for sure Heat zap would be my answer as a way to make my way in but side arm kills that, and Idk if you can react to side arm at all. Plus the fake outs that he has with low laser is really annoying.
Heat Zap. You can time it to where if they have to block it on wake-up or do a wake-up attack, Wake up Side arm and zod ball don't have invincibility so they'd get hit and Palm Strike or Zod Chagre both have bad recovery so you still get to dash in + the meter gain (and if they start waking up with those moves you can bait them)

im not sure what you mean by reacting to side arm, like the MB of it or what? Cause if you are just walking forward you can definitely see it then duck. To beat it though you have to read it and jump, then when you see it you'd do the air laser for a punish, if you read the sidearm but he doesn't do it when you jump just mix up between empty jump and the usual air options so he doesn't automatically catch you on the way down ground laser or something

its definitely not easy to get past. I'm just trying to lay out Superman's options

Edit: sorry misread that first part, i'm talking about beating his wake-ups in general as well. none of his wake-ups are full invincible so doing a meaty B1 can punish him for trying to use any of his wake-ups. Super strict though

Gurimmjaw

Earthrealm
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to punish Batgirl's teleport when blocked. Would be nice if could punish besides F2 because sometimes when I block a teleport from Batgirl and punish with F23 and F2 will whiff and it gets a bit annoying lol.

xQUANTUMx

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to punish Batgirl's teleport when blocked. Would be nice if could punish besides F2 because sometimes when I block a teleport from Batgirl and punish with F23 and F2 will whiff and it gets a bit annoying lol.
It's just timing dude. Wait for the animation of her getting up before you f2. She's minus enough where you can wait. A little trick is to hold down when you block it, wait, and then f2. The timing for your f2 to come out vs a rising grab is the same to punish her tele

Gurimmjaw

Earthrealm
It's just timing dude. Wait for the animation of her getting up before you f2. She's minus enough where you can wait. A little trick is to hold down when you block it, wait, and then f2. The timing for your f2 to come out vs a rising grab is the same to punish her tele
Yeah Ghost told me that a good thing to do as well is hold down when to block it. F2 whiffs like at least 40% of time when I try to punish. So was looking for another alternative but I will try what you suggest. Thanks.

I wonder if b1 good to punish with or if Batgirl recovers quick enough to block the incoming b1.

xQUANTUMx

I have personally avoided making one because numbers just don't mean that much to me anymore....I would much rather discuss advantages versus disadvantges. To each their own.

@Emperor DMS

xQUANTUMx

would would probably be good is to make a matchup chart based on advantages and disadvantages vs each character. This would be a larger undertaking than just throwing out a number though.

alright this might be in here not really sure but do we have a good thread on what punishes
Doomsday? i mean shoulder to MB shoulder his D1 and earth shaker im just honestly at a loss for this one

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
How is Superman supposed to fight Martian Manhunter?
Well I actually fight martian pretty well. I mostly take advantage of the armor of the superpunch if there is no MB orb out, and punishing his teleport is really easily as it mostly is a crossup, allowing for a d1,f23 punish. Once he is in the corner, I would say its [pretty much over. His only options are to d1,d2, jump, and MB b3 and j2 beats all of that as well as standing 3 allows a hit confirm or frame advantage with trait cancels. I also should mention at the start of the round if he tries a trait 3 Supes' s f23 will stuff it so his main option is a backdash which isn't that hard to react to with some training. That's how I fight him anyway. :\

What matchups do you guys push block a lot in? I've started to push lock batman when he has bats on and have had some success but I'm wondering if push block is useful in other match ups