What's new

Tech Zod's Traitless (Dirty) Wake Up Trap

Swoops

Noob
combo > ...D1 xx DB2B (hold till full)

Let me start by saying that I have started to forget about actually busting out my trait on the opponent's wake up. This set up is that dirty, as even though the pure mix up potential is somewhat diminished, the odds of the opponent waking up safely are heavily diminished. Basically, Zod gets away with murder.

So on to the details:

If you end a Zod juggle with d1 or d12, it will cause a hard knockdown. This isn't huge news, and neither is using them to set up a trait or charge laser. But the all of the fun and dirtiness in this set up lies in the specifics. Basically, if you end the juggle with d1 xx close GB charge and keep holding back, Zod can recover in time to block any reversals that are 7 frames and up. So if you attempt this and flash does a random wake up super? Yup, you will block in time. Free punish for any dumb reversals. Now there are a couple stipulations to this that have mostly to do with gravity scaling, but there are easy and even dirtier ways around this. More on that in a second.

The fully charged laser itself is veeery meaty. This means that if they do anything except invincible wake up, they will be launched for a full b3 combo. So, they hit a button? Launched. Backdashed? Launched. Tried to jump? Yup, launched. They have to sit there like good little underlings and block low or they will eat 30-40% meterless. Oh...they decided it's not worth it and decided to just block? Well...

The meaty laser actually ends up being at around +4 on block with decent spacing. If the opponent is mashing d1 afterwards, they can be easily hit out of it with a f21 xx MB ground blast.

Now on to a few of those hiccups. This set up always allows Zod to block reversals at 12 frames and up. But the set up is a bit finicky for 7-11 frame reversals, dependent on gravity scaling and where you hit them with the d1. So, certain reversals like Flash flying charge, DS sword flip, and GL lantern's might can cause a bit of trouble. This is only at the end of scaled combos, so simple ones like 1121+3, dash d1 xx close GB still work, but you want to be able to use them after big damage combos. So that leads to a couple fixes.

d12 xx medium GB charge fixes a lot of these issues, as many reversals (including Flash 6f uppercut and Lex 6f charge) will now either whiff or take to long to reach Zod in time to punish. So at the end of huge combos with these particular characters, d12 xx medium GB is usually a safer bet, but d1 xx close GB can still provide really good results.

There's a hell of a lot more to do with this though, but I'm trying not to post to big of a wall here without getting a video up first. Since Ground Blast can be dash canceled, you can also dash into MB f3, fake that into a low, or do some nasty neutral jump cross up shenanigans that I've been finding.

So what does everyone think? Obviously his wraith set ups can be arguably just as powerful if not more, but what if you are currently traitless with a combo opportunity? I've been finding a lot of success summoning trait to find a combo opportunity, then ending with this to threaten another 30-40% and waste time with a long combo as my trait comes back. I've taken off rounds in like 2 mix ups >.<

AK Pig Of The Hut
Disaster FX
Johnny2d

My recording situation is shit right now. But hopefully I can get a quick video up by tomorrow sometime.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Yeah laser charge from a hard knockdown seems like a staple tactic to check them. I use this combo: f21u2, db1, j2, db1, dash, 123, as a mid screen bnb, that grants a hard knock down and gives you the option to do trait, or slow zod ball (very reptile like of a set up) or charged laser. The fact that you have that many options off of this great bnb is what makes Zod good. The thing I've been trying with some success is that once the opponent knows they have to block the charged laser, I cancel the laser and dash in and use 12 or f2 to start a semi 50/50 pressure game.

d1 and d12 causing a hard knockdown was a bug that has since been fixed. abuse it currently if you wish but don't rely on it being there.
Was this a universal fix? I ask because I know a large number of characters (maybe all?) get a similar hard knock down from their d1.

Also are there any patch notes for the upcoming patch that we could get our grubby Injustice addicted hands on by chance? (I know, "Soon").

Lol zod really needs that d12 hard knock down though.. Why remove it:(

He can get his HKD from a couple other tools so its not the end of the world, just take the same setups and try them with some of his other options. Although I don't believe any give him quite as much time to work with as the d1/d12 option.

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
Was this a universal fix? I ask because I know a large number of characters (maybe all?) get a similar hard knock down from their d1.

Also are there any patch notes for the upcoming patch that we could get our grubby Injustice addicted hands on by chance? (I know, "Soon").

He can get his HKD from a couple other tools so its not the end of the world, just take the same setups and try them with some of his other options. Although I don't believe any give him quite as much time to work with as the d1/d12 option.
That's what I mean. His 123 xx ground blast charge is not meaty so it's not as useful. Right now you sacrifice damage by ending with d12 instead of 123 for a slightly better knock down, which I think is fine. It's not like d12 being a hard knock down makes Zod very good, it just gives him a little more to work with. There are plenty of other "bugs" in the game that should have been addressed before something like this, which I don't think should be fixed at all (d1 being hard knock down should probably be fixed though, since it's universal for all characters to not give a hard knockdown)

Edit: godlessmode: you write that a lot of characters get HK from d1. I had no idea, so I withdraw my last argument about d1's universally not giving HKs

That's what I mean. His 123 xx ground blast charge is not meaty so it's not as useful. Right now you sacrifice damage by ending with d12 instead of 123 for a slightly better knock down, which I think is fine. It's not like d12 being a hard knock down makes Zod very good, it just gives him a little more to work with. There are plenty of other "bugs" in the game that should have been addressed before something like this, which I don't think should be fixed at all (d1 being hard knock down should probably be fixed though, since it's universal for all characters to not give a hard knockdown)

Yeah. I get that, try d3 maybe? When I get home from work I'll poke around with the d12 setups and see if he has a reasonable analogue (better than 123).

And actually the d1 thing isn't consistent by any means, as I mentioned in my other post, a fair number of characters get hard knock down from their d1.

SimSim

Yeah. I get that, try d3 maybe? When I get home from work I'll poke around with the d12 setups and see if he has a reasonable analogue (better than 123).

And actually the d1 thing isn't consistent by any means, as I mentioned in my other post, a fair number of characters get hard knock down from their d1.
d3 won't work for trait and ground blast charge set ups, since it's not cancelable:/

SimSim

It's the same concept though...
Hmm.. I see what you mean, but I really don't think you can compare a meaty unblockable and a meaty low when it comes to nerfing a hard knockdown. There is no mix up there for Zod either. It's all reactable: Either meaty low or a dash cancel in to normal wake up pressure.

Swoops

Noob
Yea it's not particularly broken, it's just a very strong tool. But I tested d1/d12 again and it's still giving the HKD. So hopefully you aren't psychic and it's not coming in the MMH update.

But it'd be dumb. I don't understand why there's only like 3 characters that can have nice things >.<. 123 traps are still okay, but like SimSim said the laser isn't meaty, and you can back jump it. Using d1/d12 sacrifices a good bit of damage in most cases for a stronger mix up. I don't understand removing that.

SimSim

Yea it's not particularly broken, it's just a very strong tool. But I tested d1/d12 again and it's still giving the HKD. So hopefully you aren't psychic and it's not coming in the MMH update.

But it'd be dumb. I don't understand why there's only like 3 characters that can have nice things >.<. 123 traps are still okay, but like SimSim said the laser isn't meaty, and you can back jump it. Using d1/d12 sacrifices a good bit of damage in most cases for a stronger mix up. I don't understand removing that.

The way I have understood it is that Colt is an inside guy (Sorry about not knowing who you are if I should:p). He has been giving info on future updates earlier, but I don't know for sure that he is someone who knows. He does claim to be though.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
The way I have understood it is that Colt is an inside guy (Sorry about not knowing who you are if I should:p). He has been giving info on future updates earlier, but I don't know for sure that he is someone who knows. He does claim to be though.
He works for NRS studios, he certainly knows what he's talking about :p

SimSim

Uhm, colt is Paulo I believe, if he said its getting patched, you should probably count on it being patched.

I am sure they may change their mind, however, he is about as inside as inside gets.
Yea that's what I thought:p I hope they change their mind, cause Zod does not seem to need that nerf:p

Yea that's what I thought:p I hope they change their mind, cause Zod does not seem to need that nerf:p

This, this I agree with. They should let Zod be dirty for a bit, it would help with the games balance, if/when he becomes a problem keep the d12 nerf in a quiver and apply it then.

However, I expect that NRS has design intent behind Zod and feels for whatever reason that the d12 usage goes in the face of that intent OR as I mentioned, they are doing a universal fix to the d1's for everyone who has a broken (HKD) one.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Lol

Swoops

Noob
Uhm, colt is Paulo I believe, if he said its getting patched, you should probably count on it being patched.

I am sure they may change their mind, however, he is about as inside as inside gets.
Ah gotcha. Not a tym veteran so I apologize for not being in the know :p.

Man, that sucks if that's true. I somewhat get it if they're trying for a universal patch, it just sucks how it seems like they're willing to take the dirty tricks from everybody which leaves like 6 characters with much more solid tools over all :(. Especially after I put time into this particular set up. /sadface

I guess I'll at least wreck one local with this before its neutered. EDIT: Dammit KingHippo, I see you in here ghost-liking my shit. You aren't supposed to see this :p!

SimSim

How exactly is a new member of the community supposed to recognize that a guy on a forum is one of the developers of the game when he is using a different nick? And what exactly makes my post laughable when I am stating very clearly that I don't know who this person is, but that I think he knows what he is talking about. You probably don't mean anything by "lol"ing at my post, but you come off as kind of a douche:p

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
How exactly is a new member of the community supposed to recognize that a guy on a forum is one of the developers of the game when he is using a different nick? And what exactly makes my post laughable when I am stating very clearly that I don't know who this person is, but that I think he knows what he is talking about. You probably don't mean anything by "lol"ing at my post, but you come off as kind of a douche:p
I didn't mean anything by it it's just funny cause in another thread someone called Colt a Know-it-all so it's become kind of an inside community joke

No harm intended

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
If they take the HKD for D1 and D12, they should give back to the Zod community by releasing very nice skins for him. The one he has now is horrible. I like my Zod, New 52 or from Man of Stell, or Terence Stamp.

Anyway, this is some good stuff. Will try out til the d1 and d2 gets "normalized".