What's new

Zangief General Discussion Thread

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
Both of those push the opponent out of range after the medium hits.

Does not combo (or I cant do it) the second c.lk seem to push out of range. c.lk, lariat works though.
Ok, so you have to link the lariat after the two cr jabs, not cancel it for one thing. That's probably why you're missing it.

The standing HK into CA is also a link. Standing MP to cr jab to lariat only works when you're close enough to make out. I recommend this only after a splash (when you hit too high for headbutt to connect). Then it will substitute for splash, cr jab stand lk lariat.

After heavy SPD, dash up cr lk is really good. Mix up with dash SPD, dash cr lk to Bear Grab/SPD or buttons. The problem, as always, is your reads have to BE ON POINT. Which is ridiculous.

And boys, I'm telling you right now, that gray life Nerf is a fucking nightmare. V-Skill is completely pointless unless 1) you have no life left anyway, 2) you KNOW you can get SPD or CA and give your health some time to replenish (by going on the offensive) or 3) you're going to go through something while holding forward and hit them into V-Trigger.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
Also, I swear to god my ex Running Bear ate two hits earlier. One during start up and one moving forward. But it only happened once against the CPU Bison.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
Ok, so you have to link the lariat after the two cr jabs, not cancel it for one thing. That's probably why you're missing it.

The standing HK into CA is also a link. Standing MP to cr jab to lariat only works when you're close enough to make out. I recommend this only after a splash (when you hit too high for headbutt to connect). Then it will substitute for splash, cr jab stand lk lariat.

After heavy SPD, dash up cr lk is really good. Mix up with dash SPD, dash cr lk to Bear Grab/SPD or buttons. The problem, as always, is your reads have to BE ON POINT. Which is ridiculous.

And boys, I'm telling you right now, that gray life Nerf is a fucking nightmare. V-Skill is completely pointless unless 1) you have no life left anyway, 2) you KNOW you can get SPD or CA and give your health some time to replenish (by going on the offensive) or 3) you're going to go through something while holding forward and hit them into V-Trigger.
Maybe I'm crazy but could you not do splash cr.mp st.lk lariat before? And for more dmg than st.mp cr.lp lariat?

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
So I know we can't play online (because WHY THE FUCK DOES EVERY PATCH BREAK MATCH MAKING?!) so I haven't tried against humans yet, but so far I think Zangief got a little better just because some of his opponents got worse. Then there is shit like Urien, who is now Jesus. And Guile players can cry until they all die from dehydration, I don't see how he is any worse. Dhalsim might be 8-2 now. Balrog is probably an even match now. I still think we're stuck on the bottom. Oh, hi Birdie! Welcome to Scrub Character Hell, we have shirts.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
It's just an odd change to make for no reason. How close are you after heavy pile driver?
But I don't feel well, so I'll actually for real lab this shit tomorrow. But if you find anything cool tonight please share! You can tell they are trying to increase offense, and they did for us as well, but you still only get one rotation unless you can loop back into SPD. And they can still back roll after lariat. So I don't think the meta has changed for Zangief at all. Everyone can still get away fine.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
Also, standing MP for some reason works well for me if I have them in a block string and want to store the CA motion while they block then take one step and let it go. Good reset. Have to try it against people though. But meaty headbutt standing MP (block string) then delayed CA seems like it'll catch button pressing people. Hmm...

Kroaken

Ok so I only got like 30 min of training mode but so far, after spd I was able to cr.lk cr.lp lariat for a close combo off cr.lk with a low in it. And if ur fast and u see they block the firSt hit (the cr.lk) ur plus 2 and spd will beat a 3 frame jab.

Kroaken

Also I could link CA off st.hk no problem but haven't found a reason not to use f.hp like I had been. Will have to test more.

And st.mp is a great way to end a block string because again we are plus 2 and spd will beat a 3 frame jab.

I guess that jump in hk/hp into st.hk is a mini mixup for the same reason. We're plus 2 yada yada.

Kroaken

So I know we can't play online (because WHY THE FUCK DOES EVERY PATCH BREAK MATCH MAKING?!) so I haven't tried against humans yet, but so far I think Zangief got a little better just because some of his opponents got worse. Then there is shit like Urien, who is now Jesus. And Guile players can cry until they all die from dehydration, I don't see how he is any worse. Dhalsim might be 8-2 now. Balrog is probably an even match now. I still think we're stuck on the bottom. Oh, hi Birdie! Welcome to Scrub Character Hell, we have shirts.
Obviously I'll need more testing but just the no more meterless reversals is great for us. A lot of my stuff feels the same but my time testing was limited. Dhalsim looks like if it wasn't 8-2 before it is now. Same with Urien.

I'll have to test that dash cr.mp thing tomorrow @JJvercetti but that sounds dope. It probably has too much pushback but will st.mp or cr.lk reach/combo?

Obviously I'll need more testing but just the no more meterless reversals is great for us. A lot of my stuff feels the same but my time testing was limited. Dhalsim looks like if it wasn't 8-2 before it is now. Same with Urien.

I'll have to test that dash cr.mp thing tomorrow @JJvercetti but that sounds dope. It probably has too much pushback but will st.mp or cr.lk reach/combo?
Doing dash c.mp wrecks 4f lights, not 3. You have to use c.lk for the 3 framers.

Combofiend stuff
Combofiend saying Combofiend stuff.

Even though we have more opportunities to put the opponent in the guessing game, Gief still has the main problems of getting in. I would place him at probably place him a few places higher than where he is currently as an early estimate. I do hope they look at the Vskill absorb again (If the pro tour starts around March then that could give some time to rework some stuff still) even if they make it so he take 3 quarters of white life damage
instead of full may give more incentives to use it.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
COMRADES. We have a whiff punish now. OS'ing stand LK with lariat works at maximum LK distance, with the caveat you MUST hold forward when inputting the lariat. So forward + LK OS with lariat.

And after playing an hour against my buddy and his Laura last night, three things. I did not really notice the gray life Nerf in that match, and she can still move however she wishes, including escaping without me doing much about it. And if you do manage to land heavy SPD, we get legitimate pressure now.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
I labbed it and could get cr.mp to beat wake up jab on ryu off h.spd

For what's it's worth you can dash st.mp cr.lp lariat as well but I think it'd less dmg than dash cr.mp st.lk lariat.
I like yours better. I was using it and I like tic SPD of the LK better (if they are blocking of course). The cr MP, LK, lariat hit confirm or the same on block string just works out nicely.

I knew it was there but never used it, thanks for bringing it to my attention bro!

Kroaken

I like yours better. I was using it and I like tic SPD of the LK better (if they are blocking of course). The cr MP, LK, lariat hit confirm or the same on block string just works out nicely.

I knew it was there but never used it, thanks for bringing it to my attention bro!
Glad to help. I don't remember what st.lk is on block off the top of my head but that's good.