What's new

"You're Fired!" -- Joker General Discussion Thread

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Hey jokers out there. I was messing around and something caught my eye and I dunno if this viable or worth it or even known. You can make B1~RLG link in the corner. Teeth has to be on the floor so its best to do this off an otg. The cool and interesting thing about it is that your opponent pops up pretty damn high and almost leaves the screen. I dunno if theres alot that can be built around this but i would like to hear your inputs on this. And here's the video. Sorry for the quality.

And this is what I normally do with it.

I'm sure and hope way more damage can be done.
@Qwark28 @StevoSuprem0 @Notez4 @ThaShiveGeek @Gilbagz @Fromundaman @The_PantyChrist
@ players
Hmmm. That's pretty cool. The only problem would be that when people are familiar with the matchup, they can just block all of that low, and might even be able to block the b1 and jump out before the teeth jails them. If they do just block it, it's fine because we stay at +18f, so we are free to continue corner pressure. Have you tried seeing if they can jump out?
Definitely something worth knowing though. You could go for this off the infinite and a few fast restand setups as well. As we always say, it's another tool for the arsenal.
As for converting off it, try this:
teeth, b1 xx rlg MB, d2 xx teeth, j2 teeth, into 213 for an extended DK or 3 xx flower, 3 xx flower for damage into frame advantage. Not sure how teeth is affecting the scaling, but those should work.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Hey jokers out there. I was messing around and something caught my eye and I dunno if this viable or worth it or even known. You can make B1~RLG link in the corner. Teeth has to be on the floor so its best to do this off an otg. The cool and interesting thing about it is that your opponent pops up pretty damn high and almost leaves the screen. I dunno if theres alot that can be built around this but i would like to hear your inputs on this. And here's the video. Sorry for the quality.

And this is what I normally do with it.

I'm sure and hope way more damage can be done.
@Qwark28 @StevoSuprem0 @Notez4 @ThaShiveGeek @Gilbagz @Fromundaman @The_PantyChrist
@ players
This is already known, thanks for posting though.

Hmmm. That's pretty cool. The only problem would be that when people are familiar with the matchup, they can just block all of that low, and might even be able to block the b1 and jump out before the teeth jails them. If they do just block it, it's fine because we stay at +18f, so we are free to continue corner pressure. Have you tried seeing if they can jump out?
Definitely something worth knowing though. You could go for this off the infinite and a few fast restand setups as well. As we always say, it's another tool for the arsenal.
As for converting off it, try this:
teeth, b1 xx rlg MB, d2 xx teeth, j2 teeth, into 213 for an extended DK or 3 xx flower, 3 xx flower for damage into frame advantage. Not sure how teeth is affecting the scaling, but those should work.
Hmm, seems that my dummy was able to jump it. :(.

But I cancel into either crowbar or acid flower they stay grounded and can't jump. Also another note is Thrown Laughing Gas MB catches them jumping then you can proceed to destroy your opponent in the corner. o.o. But damn that's a pretty ballsy read.

That B1 RLG stuff seems to be only thrown out once in a while when your opponent isn't expecting it sadly :(.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Hmm, seems that my dummy was able to jump it. :(.

But I cancel into either crowbar or acid flower they stay grounded and can't jump. Also another note is Thrown Laughing Gas MB catches them jumping then you can proceed to destroy your opponent in the corner. o.o. But damn that's a pretty ballsy read.

That B1 RLG stuff seems to be only thrown out once in a while when your opponent isn't expecting it sadly :(.
That's basically the story of Joker in this game. There are a ton of gimmicky tools that we have at our disposal, and a few really solid ones after we are able to open someone up. Our pockets are deep enough in tech that it's unlikely that someone will be prepared for everything we have to throw at them, so you just need to figure out what you can exploit against a given opponent.

Batmans slide gets reversed towards the corner for full combo punish, if you hit b13 in corner and then jump towards the corner. Corner control is however lost if Batman blocks and does not wake up and this is probably known? Still, it seems to be Batman specific. Maybe there some utility to this if Batman player does not respect your setups after b13.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Batmans slide gets reversed towards the corner for full combo punish, if you hit b13 in corner and then jump towards the corner. Corner control is however lost if Batman blocks and does not wake up and this is probably known? Still, it seems to be Batman specific. Maybe there some utility to this if Batman player does not respect your setups after b13.
B13 is completely useless unless in a teeth setup. B1 crowbar is the better option.

Got that ass PC Injustice port, but I do have a friend who has it for XBOX, so I'll be trying to start actually learning how to play Joker. What should I practice to build a good foundation for Joker?

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Got that ass PC Injustice port, but I do have a friend who has it for XBOX, so I'll be trying to start actually learning how to play Joker. What should I practice to build a good foundation for Joker?
All Jokers seem to have a very different playstyle, but I'll give you what I think is important:

-Spacing with D2: Your D2 is godlike. It comes out fast, has a ridiculously good hitbox, and can convert into combos. D2 cancels are also really really good, allowing you to pressure, set up an offense, blow through armor moves, etc. That said, it does whiff on some characters at the apex of their jumps.

-Pressuring characters on knockdown: This is really important. Joker's post-knockdown game is ridiculously good, especially after a MB crowbar. There is a lot of information about this throughout this forum. MB Crowbar in particular allows you to set up teeth, OTG, combo into interactibles, cross up, etc.

-Convert off of everything: There are very few things that Joker CAN'T combo off of. That said, when teeth are down and you are throwing multiple attacks at the opponent, it is important to know how to convert no matter what hits 1st, as well as how to continue pressure if the opponent blocks everything. Basically you have to learn what can happen in any situation you throw your opponent in, then how to convert it into the most damaging combo/best setup so as to not leave damage on the table.

-Utilize your aerials: Joker has great aerials that each serve a purpose. J1 is a great anti-air and can be done really low to the ground for some shenanigans when opponents are standing on teeth. J2 has good range, is really good at crossing up deceptively and is generally used to start lots of combos. J3 has really good range and can be converted into a full combo as well, although it is a bit trickier and range dependent.

-Teeth setups: This kind of falls under the other categories, but look at footage of other Jokers playing, as well as the info we have on these boards, and learn your teeth setups. Having teeth on the ground limits your opponent's options and allows you to set up some really dumb blocking situations.

-Learn to counterzone with BANG!: We don't all agree on the importance of this, but I will say that knowing how to disrupt zoning with BANG and approach with gun cancels is incredibly important in a lot of matchups. Gunshot can also be used to build meter (Through both cancels and random shots; it builds a lot of meter) and stop people from moving (Hold it out and let go if they try to dash/press a button).

-Learn what characters moves whiff on: Unfortunately some of Joker's strings are still bugged, meaning our mids in the 212 string whiff when certain characters crouch, and our B2, which is an overhead, sometimes whiffs when certain characters crouch (Which makes no god damn sense!).

-Forget traits are a thing.