What's new

"You're Fired!" -- Joker General Discussion Thread

OnlineRon91

Joker++
Superman can only punish it with Super for example. Don't get me wrong, he has a set of moves that can reach Joker, but non of them will punish him and if anything some will leave Superman at - on block. These are b3, d+f3, Super Breath (only on reversal will it reach), Heat Vision, Superman Punch, Heat Zap and Low Scoop. As you can see, he has access to two lows that are full combo punishable, everything else is either mid or a mid that can transition into an overhead if meter burned.

Ares cannot punish at all. His f3 reaches but its too slow to punish joker. As Joker you would want to hold back vs him and punish his offensive teleports if he goes for them. The only other thing to worry about is godsmack, but you can punish those easily :)

Last edited:

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
Ares has fast projectiles and I believe they do good damage too. We can shoot him for him to lose his trait if he uses axe or sword but if he's trying to close the round he has no reason to get in close. And this is annoying

OnlineRon91

Joker++
This is true :) but I was thinking more on the lines of using d2 when we are in. I was trying to hit the point home that d2 on block is really good against most of the cast and it's range is what makes it really good to use.

OnlineRon91

Joker++
Nothing unless you get careless. His normals are some of the worse in the game and his offensive teleports get full combo punished unless he wastes meter. Even then, getting close to Joker is in our favor. They will most likely do the defensive teleports and chuck stuff at us but that wont get them very far if they are behind.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
I forget... what does Ares have as far as mixups once he is up close other than trait (which has slow startup, right?)? Isn't his d1 one of the low ones and get decent combo damage?
I play virtually no Ares'.

OnlineRon91

Joker++
Yeah, first time seeing what Ares does and I can get 25% no meter from his 6F Low. He has a b1 and f2 with Jokers d2 range but they are mid so meh. His f3 is a 29F and also has jokers d2 range. He's not useless but I dont see how he can make a comeback if hes down on life vs us. I might be missing some stuff though, yea whatever happened to the army (see what I did there?) of ares that were so hyped about his buffs?

StevoSuprem0

His issue seems to be against people who understand his gimmicks with the jumping pound move. Joker can be similar in this manner. Fight someone who doesn't know the matchup and you can just sit there resetting them all day. Once they start blocking the teeth setups well, then we have to adapt and abuse other tools, like d2 and what not. Ares just seems to struggle more in the latter department.

OnlineRon91

Joker++
Took this from the Ares forums

D1/D4-JI2-F2,3/Dark Energy - 26%
D1/D4-JI2-B2,3-D2-B1,3 - 28%
D1/D4-JI2-B2,3-1,1,2/Dark Energy - 30%
D1/D4-JI2-F2,3/B4 - 30% Axe required

D4 means it requires the Sword trait which takes 9 sec to recharge so it's not like he can even abuse it.

Last edited:

StevoSuprem0

Yeah, I remember foreverking jr and Mr. Aquaman too using some of those in some footage of them I've seen. Didn't know if he had any kind of fast overhead threat though.
As for the d2 discussion, I think I've just been too trained not to abuse it by my usual training partners. Flash and GL are very capable of punishing it >.>
I would also add that you have to be VERY precise on the spacing when using it against Superman, because he can f23 you if he is even a little bit inside of max range, though following with flower protects you I think.

OnlineRon91

Joker++
- EDITED -

When you do d2 and leave down pressed to crouch block, for some reason the game does not recognize that you are blocking as fast as it should.

However, by doing d2, releasing down, then pressing down again, you are able to block faster.

Two quick examples are Flash's Lightning Charge and GL's Lantern's Might. If you do d2 at max range and leave down pressed, you will get hit by both of these moves. If you let go of down, and press it again however, you will be able to block these (and not just from max range).

Note that doing d2 and switching to stand block will work as it should, where you will block as soon as possible.

Last edited:

StevoSuprem0

BREAKTHROUGH
not really

d2 is less - on block when you block standing instead of crouching.
Stevo this is for you, as long as your not like right next to GL, you can do d2 and stand block his Lantern's Might ;)
Problem with that is you can also eat a b1, IIRC.

StevoSuprem0

Yeah. That thing your noticing is because there is a 2f (I think, might be only 1f, might be more, don't remember) window where your character has to transition from standing to crouching. In this window, block is not active. Pig showed this off a little while ago with punishing something Aquaman does I think... trident rush maybe.
I'm not sure why releasing vs. holding down would have any difference though... that's odd.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Ares mixups is b2 overhead or d1 low

vs gl you can probably do mid teeth to be safe from both b1 and lift

StevoSuprem0

Ares mixups is b2 overhead or d1 low

vs gl you can probably do mid teeth to be safe from both b1 and lift
I think b1 will get past mid teeth. Pretty sure it even get's past close teeth depending on how he follows it up, but I could be remembering wrong.
Also, that's good news, Ares mixup seems very reactable/fuzzyguardable.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I think b1 will get past mid teeth. Pretty sure it even get's past close teeth depending on how he follows it up, but I could be remembering wrong.
Also, that's good news, Ares mixup seems very reactable/fuzzyguardable.
I was testing this a few months ago, he will be caught by teeth.

I don't think you can fuzzy guard ares, one of his fortes is good mixups and you can't really tell what he's going for most of the time with his look a like normals.

StevoSuprem0

I was testing this a few months ago, he will be caught by teeth.

I don't think you can fuzzy guard ares, one of his fortes is good mixups and you can't really tell what he's going for most of the time with his look a like normals.
True, because he can follow up with low trait and stuff. I guess initially, you can block low and react to the 19f b2 at least.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
True, because he can follow up with low trait and stuff. I guess initially, you can block low and react to the 19f b2 at least.
No, that's what I'm saying, it's the overhead you won't see, doesn't help that it's not like flash where you can always block high from a distance outside of his "short" d1, ares' reaches too far.

StevoSuprem0

The block advantage is wrong...DE is like +2 and the MB version is like -3 or 4.
Damn, they're wrong in-game too... fuckin NRS... :p
+2 on the regular versions seems about right. BANG! starts trading with it around sweep distance, any closer and gunshot stuffs it, farther they will trade (if he's doing them consecutively that is).
Thanks for the correction man!