What's new

Question Your very first action in the round?

SiniC

Noob
Something that I haven't seen any guide address or talk about is your very first action during a round after the announcer yells FIGHT!

What do you guys do? Jump in? Jump away? something else?

There hasn't been a guide on this, yes. Though, the question has been asked here before. It's just been lost to time, etc.

To answer the question, I play it safe and jump away 9 times out of 10.

Mostly good players will just walk back and read what the other person does. OR using some armored move to try to get the first hit in. Jumping in is a bad idea u should just never do and jumping away is risky depending on the character ur against.

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk 2

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
I do one of 8 things:

MS~2, if I think people will walk/dash back without blocking.

IADK, if I think people will poke with a long reaching attack.

JIP~Divekick option, if I think the opponent will jump in. If they don't then I DK the AA attempt.

D4, self-explanatory.

Dash back with ring toss , same with IADK. Use this more with heavy rushdown attack.

Enhanced Kartwheel, if I think people will pokes or use projectiles and I don't know which.

Arc kick, for jump ins or forward moving armor moves, only really need to worry about dash back with block.

NJP, for jump ins.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
As skarlet I used to armor dash in to slide, or instant air enhanced dagger, both work well to get the first hit bonus. However as I get more experience I like starting defensively. Getting them to waste thier meter and earning the meter bonus off a good punish or counter poke is really rewarding. I'll mix in the enhanced moves once in a while but I like reacting to the other persons moves to start the match. If they are waiting for me to go first ill gladly start pressure with skarlet though.

Just remember, a lot of people will do dumb shit they wouldnt do otherwise just because they are trying so hard for that first hit. Its kind of like the end of a match when both players have just a sliver left, a lot of people just go nuts throwing out anything as a hail mary trying to get a hit.

Sent from M-Class Star Freighter USCSS Nostromo

LEGEND

YES!
it really depends on the MU, alot of characters have safe defensive options where you're better of just walking back and seeing what happens

Generally speaking any opener involving a jump is a bad idea. Njp will get punished on wiff, Jump ins will get AAed more often than not and jumping back opens you up to things like JC's shadow kick, Shang's SS and Jax's Dash Punch ect.

i usually open with a dash in D3 or a back-dash D4 if i don't have to worry about things like Cyrax's net, Subz clone or Sektors flame. Basically anything that safely covers sweep range safely. Once you've established a quick opener your opp will have to start making reads against them

Vagrant

Noob
I do one of 8 things:

MS~2, if I think people will walk/dash back without blocking.

IADK, if I think people will poke with a long reaching attack.

JIP~Divekick option, if I think the opponent will jump in. If they don't then I DK the AA attempt.

D4, self-explanatory.

Dash back with ring toss , same with IADK. Use this more with heavy rushdown attack.

Enhanced Kartwheel, if I think people will pokes or use projectiles and I don't know which.

Arc kick, for jump ins or forward moving armor moves, only really need to worry about dash back with block.

NJP, for jump ins.

D

Deleted member 9158

With Sektor, I do F2, always. no exception

with Mileena, it's usually a D4

With Quan, I usually move forward or backwards, but if it's against sub-zero I always trance (9/10 online scrub-zero's will do an ice clone)

With noob, It's all based on what my opponent does first