What's new

Your thoughts on revealing no characters prior to release.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
You're wrong... it was an issue until MKKE came out. Ask @Under_The_Mayo, half the time in Mexico City's tournaments the damn character wasn't unlocked.
Well, that sucks. I didn't know. I know cheat codes are pretty much a thing of the past, but it would be a fine solution for unlocking character easily if you needed to. I'd also have the option of unlocking them via story mode if I preferred that.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Yup.

So now all content is available for you upon initial release.....except for the shit they want to charge extra for.

I don't know. It seems my thoughts on this are unpopular. I guess I was feeling nostalgic after watching Maximilian visit GGA.
I just miss the era of only having to pay for true expansions. I'm sick of this nickel and diming shit. Instead of charging me an extra $10 overall, just leave the characters in the game and make them hard to unlock, like the first Smash Brothers. The basis is already in MK with the hidden fights.

E

Eldriken

I just miss the era of only having to pay for true expansions. I'm sick of this nickel and diming shit. Instead of charging me an extra $10 overall, just leave the characters in the game and make them hard to unlock, like the first Smash Brothers. The basis is already in MK with the hidden fights.
On-disc DLC needs to get the fuck out of here. I agree with that.

Everything that's on the disc should be unlockable in-game. Capcom used to be amazing with that and now look at them. =|

At least there's generally plenty of unlockable content for NRS games. Hopefully that will remain true with MKX.

Mst

Noob
I thinks its fine if they keep some Characters a secret (Characters which died in MK9 but still make it in MKX as example) but not if they keep like 90% of the roster a secret.

A good thing having new infos come out is that there will be news on sites like IGN about MKX which gets ppl reminded of the game (ppl who are not planing to by the game anyway like the most ppl on tym).

And they could still add a option which lets you choose if you want to unlock all Characters or get have all unlocked right at the start except the 1-2 Characters which are a secret. So ppl who like to unlock everything can just choose option one.

There might also ppl which wouldnt buy the game if there Character or a Character which looks like they might like it is in the game as example person x isnt a huge MK fan but likes Raiden he checks the confirmed Characters for MKX Raiden is on that list and might still decide to pick MKX up.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
On-disc DLC needs to get the fuck out of here. I agree with that.

Everything that's on the disc should be unlockable in-game. Capcom used to be amazing with that and now look at them. =|

At least there's generally plenty of unlockable content for NRS games. Hopefully that will remain true with MKX.
Sadly, it's all superficial shit that doesn't effect gameplay. I loved the concept of the Krypt, but it wasn't effectively employed as a useful tool for unlocking bits and pieces of the game.

I still commend Capcom for their skins. League of Legends proved how useful new skins can be in keeping a game alive. I'd still drop $5 if I could get 2 extra costumes for every character in Injustice, and I don't even play Injustice.

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
Some people might not understand that DLC is not part of the game.
Most developers don't think about DLC until they are done with the full game( this doesn't necessarily means that the game has been released).
is 24 characters so low that you feel the need for an extra 6 characters to be free?
I sure don't

John Grizzly

Some people might not understand that DLC is not part of the game.
Most developers don't think about DLC until they are done with the full game( this doesn't necessarily means that the game has been released).
is 24 characters so low that you feel the need for an extra 6 characters to be free?
I sure don't
Tekken Tag 2 offered 44 characters as the default initial roster as well as 13 characters being free, time released DLC, bringing the total to 57. These numbers could be slightly off, but that's what I'm thinking it was. So yes, 24 could definitely be considered low, especially if we are talking the 10th game in a franchise.

If you don't think they aren't releasing all the characters in the first version of the game simply because they haven't considered anyone beyond that roster, that's crazy. DLC makes money. I'm sure NRS fully expects around 32 total characters and will save around 8 for DLC. It's not "part of the game" because that's how games are now. You pay 60 bucks for an incomplete version of the game.

Mark my words, several fan favorites will be included in the DLC like Cage, Sonya, Reptile, Jax and a whoever else. I'm sure that's already been decided. I don't mind paying whatever the cost is for a game like MKX, but the business model has changed. DLC is planned well before the game is released. At least I think it is with most companies. I doubt NRS is any different. That's how it will be moving forward.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Man I would hate to waste time unlocking chars instead of actually practicing and learning how to use them lol

Mst

Noob
Tekken Tag 2 offered 44 characters as the default initial roster as well as 13 characters being free, time released DLC, bringing the total to 57. These numbers could be slightly off, but that's what I'm thinking it was. So yes, 24 could definitely be considered low, especially if we are talking the 10th game in a franchise.

If you don't think they aren't releasing all the characters in the first version of the game simply because they haven't considered anyone beyond that roster, that's crazy. DLC makes money. I'm sure NRS fully expects around 32 total characters and will save around 8 for DLC. It's not "part of the game" because that's how games are now. You pay 60 bucks for an incomplete version of the game.

Mark my words, several fan favorites will be included in the DLC like Cage, Sonya, Reptile, Jax and a whoever else. I'm sure that's already been decided. I don't mind paying whatever the cost is for a game like MKX, but the business model has changed. DLC is planned well before the game is released. At least I think it is with most companies. I doubt NRS is any different. That's how it will be moving forward.
I feel like Tag Games should always have more Characters than a 1v1 fighter but its properly just my preference. I rather have 24 Characters with 3 variations than 40 Characters with 3 variations because having 24 Characters "should" mean that the game is closer to a balanced point at the time of the release than with 40 Characters and i wouldnt mind buying 20 DLC Characters overtime (no rushed releases) if the game gets updates throughout that time and also later when the final DLC Characters are released to make sure the game is at a good point balanced wise.

And NRS knew most likely around the time of the release of Injustice that Zod gonna be one of there DLCs because of MoS.

They got most likely a idea which Characters they could bring as a DLC and usually Games are in a "completed" state some weeks before the release and a part of the Developer Team moves on to start working on the DLC, Titanfall was that way as a example.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
I know this will never happen, but what if it did?
Imagine how fucking exciting those first couple days (with no sleep) of MKX would be. Playing through story mode and seeing your favorite character in the game for the first time.
I Cant wait...

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
I remember back when I was into Smash and when Melee came out, it was like "HOLY SHIT, YOU CAN PLAY MEWTWO, HOW DO YOU GET HIM?!" PSABR had a lot of steam killed because characters got leaked by Neogaf. I agree with you, used to be fun in that mystery

P.S. For the love of god, do not remind me how to unlock Mewtwo in Melee.

cyke_out

Noob
It can still be a mystery, it just takes some willpower on your part. If people don't want to know who is in MKX, then avoid places on the internet that could tell you.

I know that is super hard to do when the character's name is plastered in the headlines, but really it's your only choice today.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
Nah, I wouldn't like that, character reveals are super hype, although NRS has never been that good at it. Ermac was revealed on Noob's trailer, and Sindel and Jade on a magazine. I think Killer Frost and Ares didn't get properly revealed either. I hope this time they give each character it's own trailer.

Still, I would love to have a real SECRET character this time around, not just unblockable, but really secret, something that gets discovered weeks (or months) after release. I remember when the survival mode for MKSM was found, that shit was so hype.

And regarding DLC, at least with NRS, it doesn't work that different from their previous games. Since MK3 most of their games have had expansions, UMK3/MKT/MKG/MKTE/MKU, now instead of being released as a new game or as a console exclusive with extra content, you get to buy it as an add-on.

Dark

Noob
I'd love that, but it would obviously fuck up all the sales and piss a bunch of people off.. so probably shouldn't do it ;)

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
It would get ppl to have to play story mode, instead of going online on the first day etc. Not a bad Idea, sets for hype.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
Still up and down about MKX as a whole. If I bought it and sub zero wasn't in it plus it was a bunch of new characters I'd probably sell it right back to GameStop Lol. I'd rather know what I'm getting into before I spend my $60.

Art

Grave_Intent
If NRS stopped revealing characters for MKX and just went on with release date they would loose so much money it would kill the game. You have to understand that they have sponsors besides WB, who invest in the advertising campaign as well to help insure pre-orders for launch. This is where sales gets predicted and NRS gets more backing to insure we get things like DLC, tournament pot-bonuses etc... So, when Ed Boon trolls and characters get revealed we get hype and the game pre-orders go up and marked value rises keeping the game development guys with money to work with to get us a better game, and the FGC hype!

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord

I don't see how a game can be incomplete by having DLC.
Injustice had 24 characters to start off with and I never felt that It wasn't enough.
Most people won't bother to learn more than 4 characters at most.
This is no different than a single player games, take dishonored they offered a complete game and then DLC for those that wanted more.
Some people feel the need to buy DLC to have a "Complete game"( am guilty of this).
I bought injustice 3 times and DLC skins for the standard version.
People really can't say that DLC makes a game incomplete, people know what they are going to get for $60, they shouldn't whine when DLC kicks in.
yeah, fan favorites will be back, just like Lobo and Kabal 2.0 did.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Shit, in MK9 in the games deep files Shao Kahn, Goro, and Kintaro were playable (Challenge tower is invalid) I mean really playable. Until ppl figured out how to get them out in the PC version and ppl who had the bosses in MK9 for PC, it really pissed me off.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I'd love it if they didn't announce anything about the game until the month before, and give us exactly what we have now over the course of said month.

That way I wouldn't have to wait so damn long, I wouldn't get super spoiled, and the game would be seen long enough for people to know it's coming out. Not that the last part matters, MKX would make them dollars even if it was released without any warnings.

I mean, technically i'd still be waiting the same amount of time, I just wouldn't know that I was waiting, and I wouldn't have to sit with my dick in my hand for a year waiting for the game to come out and give me my sweet release. It would just be a month of hype.

A month is certainly enough time for anyone who plans on getting the game day one to here about it and pre-order it, so that wouldn't even be a problem.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
I'd love to live in complete ignorance of the game only to experience a sudden, mentally orgasmic rush of bliss when I play the story mode, but I'm not capable of avoiding the information due to sites, friends, and my own temptation...
Maybe a few kept secret, but, as everyone has throughly said, they need reveals for small bits of marketing at a time, instead of one giant rush that dominates a day of videogame news.
If they were to try that with Mk9, they'd be competing with Portal 2's release, which is pretty difficult.
Mayne, Portal Kombat day in that April of 2011 was a fantastic day...

John Grizzly

^^ This x 1,000,000
Maybe it's an old man thing. =(

I'm thankful for that experience, though. I would count the minutes until I could go back to the arcade to play again. I would play Sega Genesis MK1 and pretend it was MK2. I loved the mystery around fatalities and all that stuff, too. Sure, GamePro would eventually release a guide with all the moves in it, for for those first few months, I'd bring a notebook with me to the arcade and write down anything I discovered.

Man, what a great time to be a kid that was...

I'd love it if they didn't announce anything about the game until the month before, and give us exactly what we have now over the course of said month.

That way I wouldn't have to wait so damn long, I wouldn't get super spoiled, and the game would be seen long enough for people to know it's coming out. Not that the last part matters, MKX would make them dollars even if it was released without any warnings.

I mean, technically i'd still be waiting the same amount of time, I just wouldn't know that I was waiting, and I wouldn't have to sit with my dick in my hand for a year waiting for the game to come out and give me my sweet release. It would just be a month of hype.

A month is certainly enough time for anyone who plans on getting the game day one to here about it and pre-order it, so that wouldn't even be a problem.
This is another thing I considered. I'm sure this thought will be shit on as well, but I feel like a month is more than enough time to generate excitement. Announcing games a year or more before they're released really fucking sucks, in my opinion. Aside from having to wait, in cases like the MKX announcement, it made me completely stop caring about Injustice. I'm in MK mode now and I have no idea when the game will even be in my hands.

I have several friends who like MK, as well, but because the game won't be out for so long, they have zero interest in the reveals because "the game won't even be out for another year. Who cares?" They're not pre-ordering now or anything like that. They're aware the game is coming, but say it's real hard to get excited over something you can't have for a year.

Hey, look at this delicious turkey dinner. Looks really good, right? You can eat this.....but not for a year.