What's new

Your thoughts on revealing no characters prior to release.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I know this will never happen, but what if it did?

What if NRS simply said "MKX will be released on April (whatever), 2015 and then showed gameplay footage of only Scorpion and Sub Zero. They then state they would not reveal anyone else in the cast. Imagine also that the characters were locked and you had to complete story mode to release them all. Personally, I think this would be amazing. Imagine how fucking exciting those first couple days (with no sleep) of MKX would be. Playing through story mode and seeing your favorite character in the game for the first time.

The internet does sort of ruin the fun in a lot of ways. Even if you wanted to remain spoiler free, aside from just completely staying off the internet until release day, it's somewhat impossible.

E

Eldriken

Imagine the complaints about having to unlock the characters. Sure, there would be plenty of people who were going to play the story anyway, but there are other people who have no interest in doing so and want to go straight to the lab with their character of choice. If they (and anyone else who thinks this way) couldn't do that and had to play through an 8 hour (just taking a stab here) story to finally get to do that, they wouldn't be happy.

There are some people who simply want the game just for the multiplayer (like a lot of CoD fans) and don't care to touch anything else.

Keeping all the characters a secret except for Scorpion and Sub-Zero could have both positive and negative reactions. I don't think it would be worth the risk as most of the gamer population have become spoiled with that kind of thing.

While it would build up insane amounts of hype for people who like that kind of thing, it might put a lot of people off from buying the game altogether because they simply don't know if there are going to be any interesting looking characters before buying the game or don't want to risk buying the game and their favorite character be missing.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
If there wasn't any prerelease footage, I wouldn't buy the game on release, and I doubt many other people would either. It would kill week 1 sales.

I personally don't care if characters have to be unlocked through story mode. It takes 2-3 hours at most, and god forbid you play the entire game. I'd hate to think people would complain about a game that takes 2-3 hours to unlock everything that influences gameplay.

E

Eldriken

If there wasn't any prerelease footage, I wouldn't buy the game on release, and I doubt many other people would either. It would kill week 1 sales.

I personally don't care if characters have to be unlocked through story mode. It takes 2-3 hours at most, and god forbid you play the entire game. I'd hate to think people would complain about a game that takes 2-3 hours to unlock everything that influences gameplay.
MK9's story mode was longer than 2-3 hours and was required to unlock Cyber Sub-Zero and Quan Chi.

John Grizzly

I guess I just miss the days of having a little mystery as far as what was in the game. Time released characters is another idea I always liked. I'm a huge MK fan, so having to play the story mode isn't really a chore for me, I enjoy. Now the Challenge Tower? That's a different story. Fuck the stupid Challenge Tower (and Star Labs, for that matter).

E

Eldriken

I guess I just miss the days of having a little mystery as far as what was in the game. Time released characters is another idea I always liked. I'm a huge MK fan, so having to play the story mode isn't really a chore for me, I enjoy. Now the Challenge Tower? That's a different story. Fuck the stupid Challenge Tower (and Star Labs, for that matter).
I always play the story mode for games before doing anything else. I'll do the same for MKX. I'm not against it at all. However, as I mentioned before, there are plenty of people who have no interest in such things and being locked out of certain features/characters by not playing the story mode will likely turn away a lot of people.

Yah that would be great. It was hype as fuck when i first got the game and saw smoke did make it in. ( He was kept secret until the last week through a leak playthrough)

John Grizzly

I always play the story mode for games before doing anything else. I'll do the same for MKX. I'm not against it at all. However, as I mentioned before, there are plenty of people who have no interest in such things and being locked out of certain features/characters by not playing the story mode will likely turn away a lot of people.
I understand everyone's points. I really hope there's at least a couple unlockable characters via the story mode, though.

I just remember how hyped I was a kid walking into an arcade and seeing MK2 and thinking "Holy shit...who are these female ninjas? Shang Tsung is young now? And playable?" Same thing happened for MK3. It's a feeling that is just no longer possible.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
- Terrible from a tournament setting standpoint.

- Terrible from a marketing standpoint.

- Terrible for gamers who hate Story Mode (this is a fighting game, after all).

Assuming the characters would be unlockable from the start but NRS never revealed any of them until release, this is still bad. Think about it, it's the same thing. We're still going to know all the characters in the game before we buy the game because, well, internet. Those who opt for a big mystery may be in for a huge disappointment when they realize their favorite character is not present, yet they spent $60. Finally, there'd be little hype leading into the game. Individual character reveals attract gamers to characters they normally wouldn't have interest in.

E

Eldriken

I understand everyone's points. I really hope there's at least a couple unlockable characters via the story mode, though.

I just remember how hyped I was a kid walking into an arcade and seeing MK2 and thinking "Holy shit...who are these female ninjas? Shang Tsung is young now? And playable?" Same thing happened for MK3. It's a feeling that is just no longer possible.
I would be completely fine with knowing that there ARE unlockable characters via the story mode, but we don't KNOW who they are. Don't reveal that and let us find out when the game launches.

Sure, we can compare the available characters in the game itself to what the full cast is supposed to be and figure it out that way, but we still don't know at what point in the story mode we'll unlock them.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Didn't seem to be a problem for Quan Chi and Cyber Sub Zero in tournaments. I never saw one without those characters (not that anyone really played them much).
It was a problem. DLC is still an issue. At the MK9 evo side thing half the consoles didn't have DLC until Claude went and bought 4 copies of MKKE.

John Grizzly

Yah that would be great. It was hype as fuck when i first got the game and saw smoke did make it in. ( He was kept secret until the last week through a leak playthrough)
Exactly. I remember seeing small grainy screenshots of what looked to be his select screen portrait, but no one was sure.

I'm sure NRS will at least hide SOME of the stuff. I mean, are there REALLY any people who won't buy MKX because (insert favorite character) isn't in? I know I would be bummed if Ermac didn't make it, but there is literally nothing that could stop me personally from buying this game after what I've seen/heard already. I had it pre-ordered the day pre-order was possible.

John Grizzly

It was a problem. DLC is still an issue. At the MK9 tournament half the consoles didn't have DLC until Claude went and buy 4 copies of MKKE.
I'm not talking about DLC, though. I'm talking about the initial released game and the content that came with it. I could be wrong but having Quan and CSZ never seemed to be an issue.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
MK9's story mode was longer than 2-3 hours and was required to unlock Cyber Sub-Zero and Quan Chi.
Skipping cut scenes on very easy mode puts it at about 2 and a half hours, breaks pending. I know about cyber sub and quan, which I didn't initially, because I played story mode first anyway. It's a game. I'd rather characters be unlocked in story mode than havin to pay a few dollars for them down the road. If you want to argue a silly character release concept, let's talk DLC.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
I'm not talking about DLC, though. I'm talking about the initial released game and the content that came with it. I could be wrong but having Quan and CSZ never seemed to be an issue.
You're wrong... it was an issue until MKKE came out. Ask @Under_The_Mayo, half the time in Mexico City's tournaments the damn character wasn't unlocked.

E

Eldriken

Skipping cut scenes on very easy mode puts it at about 2 and a half hours, breaks pending. I know about cyber sub and quan, which I didn't initially, because I played story mode first anyway. It's a game. I'd rather characters be unlocked in story mode than havin to pay a few dollars for them down the road. If you want to argue a silly character release concept, let's talk DLC.
You can't skip the cut scenes the first time you play. That's only on a second play through.

John Grizzly

Yup.

So now all content is available for you upon initial release.....except for the shit they want to charge extra for.

I don't know. It seems my thoughts on this are unpopular. I guess I was feeling nostalgic after watching Maximilian visit GGA.

i think it would be an amazing idea for a shaolin monk with s self discipline from another world but a terrible idea for me. or maybe its good so im forced to forget all the hype and pointless waiting for those awesome 5 minutes every three weeks?