What's new

Your thoughts on character loyalty

podizzler3000

http://streamable.com/ti5z
i think mastery of a character is very admirable and beneficial to a winning philosophy, but loyalty past that point is selling yourself short. Particularly when the character you mastered is low tier. Not to mention so much fun can be had learning new characters.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
1. It depends on the character. Competitively speaking, being loyal to a bottom five character is a bad idea. But not trying to counterpick every one of our characters bad MUs that are not 3-7s is also a bad idea. If you play a top tier character its best to just stick with one and master that one. At least for most people.

2. No. Anyone who is a top player in any game(or sport, field, w/e) will tell you there is always something new to learn or improve. Learning a bunch of different characters might help your MU knowledge, but doesnt necessarily aid in your fundamentals and might even stop them from inproving if you spend more time learning new characters than working on footsies, anti-airs, etc.

Agilaz

It has begun
I will always have more respect for character loyalists rather than tier whores. Granted, playing a lower tier character may mean that you just don't reach the results you could with a higher tier character, but at the very least you're not taking the path of least resistance. I admire that.

Skedar70

Noob
I think you can actually master 2 and maybe 3/4 characters more than that and you are risking not using any of them to their full potential. Being loyal to a single character can definitely limit you on the competitive scene and can make the game boring. Learning a new character is really fun. I really like the variation system cause even if you only use one character you can use the different variations to spice things up.

Nortnauq

QUAN CHI FOR DLC
I think that it all depends on how competitive your play is.
I'm not loyal to any specific character based on story or lore.
I just find the one that fits my play style and stay loyal in that sense.

Kingshootahz

Ain't nobody trilla than shootah.
I'll choose some other characters for fun but character loyalty for me stems from no one else in the roster being as fun as my main..I beat you with Kotal I'm like ehh but if I beat you with Jax I'm Like GEt Rekt yes yes yes! That's what I practiced for that's my guy Fuck yea gotcha, tnx bai.

Espio

Kokomo
It is neither good or bad, it is dependent upon the player. There are successful top and mid level players who were character loyalists to mid and low tier characters so it's not like people can say if a character is low tier don't bother. As someone who only played Hawkgirl in Injustice and uses pretty much only Goro right now, I might get stuck for a bit, but I was always learning more things, always getting better at doing already known starts and improving fundamentally with my character. It's a never ending process.

mattnin

Noob
I know I'm gimping myself being loyal to Blood God Kotal even after the buffs, but I'd still rather play him then better variations like War God. I do play a pretty bad ass Mournful Kitana though. I would like to pick up a top tier character to fall back on though but I just don't get excited playing Kung Lao or Raiden.... I'm dabbling a bit with Sub Zero and Ermac. At this point it's hard picking up other characters being a loyalist to Kotal and Kitana. I'd like to pick a brain dead character for a change.

Radiodine

I spam so well, i get 50/51's
Im working my way across each character. Hoping to master every character in the game. Assuming lag doesnt exist online.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
It is neither good or bad, it is dependent upon the player. There are successful top and mid level players who were character loyalists to mid and low tier characters so it's not like people can say if a character is low tier don't bother. As someone who only played Hawkgirl in Injustice and uses pretty much only Goro right now, I might get stuck for a bit, but I was always learning more things, always getting better at doing already known starts and improving fundamentally with my character. It's a never ending process.
I swear everytime I found you randomly on injustice (360) you mopped me with Martian not hawk girl.

Anyways dvorah loyalist ftw

Espio

Kokomo
I swear everytime I found you randomly on injustice (360) you mopped me with Martian not hawk girl.

Anyways dvorah loyalist ftw
I don't play on 360 and have never owned one haha. I have an imposter dopple ganger? Do tell lol. I did use both of them though.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
I don't play on 360 and have never owned one haha. I have an imposter dopple ganger? Do tell lol. I did use both of them though.
I swear I've seen a espio on 360 multiple times and everytime I found him I'd have to deal with the zod vs mmh MU and I get bodied nearly every time

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I dunno, I typically like characters that are fortunate enough to be good i.e Wonder Woman & Kung Lao

I liked learning other characters in MK9, but in both injustice and MKX the one I mained fit me well enough to not need a secondary.
And at the same time, no other characters interest me in mkx, cause I've got at least 2 tournament ready variations to master.

If you are 100% loyal to a shitter, and complain when you lose, I'll quote 16 bit when you cry over a loss 'not my problem'.

If Lao was a shitter in this game, I'd learn the strongest character that I could play most efficiently according to my style.