What's new

Your preference:MKX's run cancelling combos or MK 9's dashing combos?

Which do you prefer, MKX's running cancel combos or MK9's dashing combos?

• Total voters
run is much better but I hate the fact that some chars must use run cancel in order to do some serious combos. which on the other hand are almost impossible to do online. i mean few of them in char move list/string whatever ok but majority (jax,sub) well,thats not cool to me.

in general i think mkx is oriented to much to pros, one good example is kung lao 11212. why on earth nrs make it so hard to do is beyond me. and 2 frames to link combo? thats just bad design imo.

and as other said run should have its own button dash+block is again bad design and something that scares new/noob people off.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I like the run mechanic quite a bit, and I don't mind its requirement in combos to an extent.

What I don't like, is it's execution, I really wish it had a dedicated button. I also don't like the very strict timing many rc combos require, making them impractical to down right impossible online.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
run is much better but I hate the fact that some chars must use run cancel in order to do some serious combos. which on the other hand are almost impossible to do online. i mean few of them in char move list/string whatever ok but majority (jax,sub) well,thats not cool to me.

in general i think mkx is oriented to much to pros, one good example is kung lao 11212. why on earth nrs make it so hard to do is beyond me. and 2 frames to link combo? thats just bad design imo.

and as other said run should have its own button dash+block is again bad design and something that scares new/noob people off.
Nice post. Agreed this is my biggest issue, pretty much how I feel. Especially regarding online, we all know online in general will lag and MK is no exception, so the timing is not only harder but alterered lol. Some of those offline combos I won't even attempt online because the run cancels are hard enough, that combined with online latency is just blah...lol

The pros to run in MK X-cuts down zoning tactics, easy to get in fast, can be cancelled for mind games and strategies into many things such as down, jumping, moves etc, etc

The cons to run in MK X-Bad for any zoning tactics/players, makes combos harder to do(namely extending certain ones and certain characters that really require run cancelling combos in general as part of their game ie Cassie, Reptile to name a few offhand) Bad way to implement having to double tap forward and hold block, IMO this isn't practical and should have just made a run button like MK 3/UMK3 and MK 4. They could make the meter work the same way they do now but I just think it's really annoying using FF+ RT to run when that LT serves no purpose other than switching the way you face.

Personally, I like MK 9's system a tad more but obviously the aggressive player will like run in general. My beef is more how it's implemented and little room for error extending combos depending on the character. On a sidenote, I'm glad it's not exactly like UMK3 though with that run jab, run jab shit. I love the game, but was never a fan of that. MK X you can't do that thankfully.

Audit

Falls down too much
For a series that used to have a run button, the run mechanic is silly and overly complicated. I want to vote for the run button.

Honestly I don't understand the complaints about no run button. I've gotten so used to it by now that I think if they did suddenly patch in a run button it would be a really awkward transition. I would like the option though, I don't understand why there isn't one. to answer the question I guess MKX > MK9, this game just feels smoother for some reason. Although the execution is definitely way harder online this time around

The run cancelling system is the reason why I love and am playing this game. Couldn't stand MK9s movement system. Then again I'm a KOF player and I love running.

MK_GDROM

*Spit* No Charge
I think it'd be more fair to compare the run of MKX to MK3/UMK3. Personally I liked the recovery of MK3/UMK3's run and run combos better in UMK3/MK3 than MKX. Plus MK3/UMK3 had a dedicated run button so that's also a plus.

iMileena

"I will cut a hole in you"
When you think about it the combos where just kinda simple to me, like smokes 1 D2 3 string/reset it would be the same moves over and over again. It got boring in a way , in mkx running makes it so much better & a bit complex, i guess is more of my style in a way . Only thing i want back is infinite bac dashes