What's new

Your Opinions On how Reptile should be played.

Alright lets keep this clean, I say we keep this thread Simple. Im all for everyone playing their Own Play styles. So why don't you share it down? arguements? agreements? just anything.
Heres my Opinion
My reptile gets criticized for "Not being meter conservative" and also for "You rely on the dash Too much" well let me get into this. I personally think, reptile is not a character to save meter with. reptile builds meter WAY to fast, And hes a rush down character. I feel that putting a full rushdown with EH slow balls, and EH dashes, or anything to get in on your opponent, is the best way to piss them off, because this way, Im able to put a strong rush down, and a pretty quick meter building rushdown as well. So I think, being meter conservative is not relevant. It all depends on your play style.. some people are zoners, and some people are rush downers, some people are inbetween.
I like to use my EH dash on wake ups, stringing, and I like to double dash on the ground if you: Jump, or do a special move such as Mileenas Teleports. I also like to use it to get in on an opponent. about 3/4's of the time, I use the dash to get in on you. So people, The dash, is reptiles tool, use it.4
My base off opinion on playing with Reptile: Rush, Dont worry about meter, and get your opponent scared.. put tons of force balls on the screen and try to use them to get in on your opponent for rush downs.. just don't give them mercy.

Share you opinions down below, (or even against my playstyle) Im expecting to see a lot of you to say "zone, bait" but we all have our opinions, and I say, dont criticize until you try the play style. I think everyone should have their own playstyle and what works for them. So, share it down below.

I think Reptile is a character with the most variety of tools. He could zone well (lose to kabal, tsung, noob,) , decent close rage mix up, and crazy ass dash. He's not a pure close range or a pure zoner.

So the dash is actually the key to play reptile. Reptile's non special dash is a joke, this is why you have the awesome special dash. Stay in the "dash" zone this is where reptile shine. From here you could throw spit,balls without afraid of jump ins. But the best part is that you could dash in and do a mix up, cross jump, slow force ball pressure, D4 hand.

Reptile could zone and rush, but these arent his main power. Hes kinda like an in and out character. If you wanna zone get noob, kabal. If you wanna rush get KL or JC. This in and out is nice because Reptile could adjust to different situation, like vs johnny cage= STAY THE FUK AWAY

Absolutely worst match ups for reptile I have problem with are : meelina, kabal, jax.
Meelina is obvious, absolutely hard to punching tele kik. THTB told me that that down 1 and ex force ball works but still a bitch match.
Kabal: reptile could not zone against a good kabal, his fb is way too slow on start up, and 1 spit on screen vs 2 gas on screen of kabal. GG on zoning. You defiantly need to get in, dash wont help when full screen with kabal because you will eat the instant gas fire ball.
Jax: Jax now is kinda like a "non zoning johnny cage". I think this guy is a dick, fb is too slow to start when vs with ground pound. So dashing in is a must, but then jax shines close range. I really have no answer for this, except to fight him close range.... Down 4, hand and cross jumping would probably the most useful

I think Reptile is a character with the most variety of tools. He could zone well (lose to kabal, tsung, noob,) , decent close rage mix up, and crazy ass dash. He's not a pure close range or a pure zoner.

So the dash is actually the key to play reptile. Reptile's non special dash is a joke, this is why you have the awesome special dash. Stay in the "dash" zone this is where reptile shine. From here you could throw spit,balls without afraid of jump ins. But the best part is that you could dash in and do a mix up, cross jump, slow force ball pressure, D4 hand.

Reptile could zone and rush, but these arent his main power. Hes kinda like an in and out character. If you wanna zone get noob, kabal. If you wanna rush get KL or JC. This in and out is nice because Reptile could adjust to different situation, like vs johnny cage= STAY THE FUK AWAY

Absolutely worst match ups for reptile I have problem with are : meelina, kabal, jax.
Meelina is obvious, absolutely hard to punching tele kik. THTB told me that that down 1 and ex force ball works but still a bitch match.
Kabal: reptile could not zone against a good kabal, his fb is way too slow on start up, and 1 spit on screen vs 2 gas on screen of kabal. GG on zoning. You defiantly need to get in, dash wont help when full screen with kabal because you will eat the instant gas fire ball.
Jax: Jax now is kinda like a "non zoning johnny cage". I think this guy is a dick, fb is too slow to start when vs with ground pound. So dashing in is a must, but then jax shines close range. I really have no answer for this, except to fight him close range.... Down 4, hand and cross jumping would probably the most useful
I got some tips for you on Mileena. Try to bait that tele kick and do a fast DOuble dash and add slow force ball pressure.. she cant avoid the dash after teleport, and she can't avoid slow ball pressure.. This is what I do :)
Kabal: Dont jump, try to trade acid spits, and try to trade an EH slow ball, then you can get in.
Jax: rush him the hell down. But be smart.

In my opinion, Reptile should just be 100% rush down, and when he has a decent life lead, chillax and zone.

This strategy ALWAYS irritates me, so it must be good.

Alright lets keep this clean, I say we keep this thread Simple. Im all for everyone playing their Own Play styles. So why don't you share it down? arguements? agreements? just anything.
Heres my Opinion
My reptile gets criticized for "Not being meter conservative" and also for "You rely on the dash Too much" well let me get into this. I personally think, reptile is not a character to save meter with. reptile builds meter WAY to fast, And hes a rush down character. I feel that putting a full rushdown with EH slow balls, and EH dashes, or anything to get in on your opponent, is the best way to piss them off, because this way, Im able to put a strong rush down, and a pretty quick meter building rushdown as well. So I think, being meter conservative is not relevant. It all depends on your play style.. some people are zoners, and some people are rush downers, some people are inbetween.
I like to use my EH dash on wake ups, stringing, and I like to double dash on the ground if you: Jump, or do a special move such as Mileenas Teleports. I also like to use it to get in on an opponent. about 3/4's of the time, I use the dash to get in on you. So people, The dash, is reptiles tool, use it.4
My base off opinion on playing with Reptile: Rush, Dont worry about meter, and get your opponent scared.. put tons of force balls on the screen and try to use them to get in on your opponent for rush downs.. just don't give them mercy.

Share you opinions down below, (or even against my playstyle) Im expecting to see a lot of you to say "zone, bait" but we all have our opinions, and I say, dont criticize until you try the play style. I think everyone should have their own playstyle and what works for them. So, share it down below.
You shouldn't give a damn if people tell you that you dash too much, if it works, keep doing it.

I'm a man of EH Slide because now that he has armor, why NOT use it? its perfect for getting in if say they're in the middle of pumping a projectile out. And nothing says GFTO like a slide coming at you with full speed then drop kicks you

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
I generally like to rushdown the whole match, but I will zone to change the pace of the match if they start getting used to the rushdown.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
besides against sub zero and some mileena and kl players i believe you should keep the pressure one all the time. hes an extreme rush down character.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
just a note, especially against high level Play.

Exclude Dash from ur game if u want to be good! uneless used for these options:

1-Frame trap escapes (and not evertime in case opponent figure it out)
2- Anti Jumps (2x elbow dash)
3- In combos for Mix ups and meter managment
4- On hit afterwards for mix ups and meter build up
5-To zone in without touching opponent for either baiting(full screen), Going offensive or simply re defense/Anti air. or other examples like escaping a predicted Fireball either ground low or ground high or ducking under IAFB in some cases

Other than that, never use dash or else reptile = punished

and yes, reptile is MEANT for pure rushdown

also, i need the RAIDEN matchup BADLY! lol the only match i really dont work on....where r all the raidens dammit :S?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Though Reptile is a great character for mix-ups in the rushdown game, he also a great zoner, both slow and fast fb's have two different speeds, and acid spit being really quick and ex acid spit to catch people jumping all of it and getting in too close. He is easily a top 5 zoning character. This along with his strong rushdown game just make his playstyle very flexible and help you to adjust to matchups. Like [MENTION=4211]OmegaK[/MENTION] said, it really depends on the character I'm playing to determine what I want to do against my opponent.

[MENTION=1465]xxteefxx[/MENTION] I try and just react and punish to Raiden. A lot of the strings people use with him online are not very safe on block. Also most Raiden players will try to cross up after almost every teleport, counter it with an NJP and juggle to punish (this is a lot harder for me to do online than offline).

How do you guys play against Cyrax? Once he gets his momentum going its really hard for me to stop him :/
You can ask Chris G about this LOL, 1 thing you need to know about Cyrax. NEVER GET HIT, other than that theres nothing you can do about his 75% reset. Hes a pretty broken character. Block his net, dash his bomb, fuzzy down block his wake up ex rag doll, rush him down, and NEVER TRADE projectile.

Oh and remember to keep meter, you dont want to deal with that 75%. Cyrax could come back very well even if you have a life lead.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
How do you guys play against Cyrax? Once he gets his momentum going its really hard for me to stop him :/
The same can be said for reptile too. Dont jump against him, walk through the minefield and just be patient. Once you land something on him you'll be able to gain momentum.

I think you should only dash to get in or for punishment. Random dashes work sometimes but they are very punishable(I'm talking about offline only here). End bnb combos with slow fb or ex slow ball if you can spare the meter. One thing I like to use that I see no Reptiles use is after a an oki force ball dash in and do 12b1. Last hit hits low, gives enough advantage to where I've been able to get a 321 acid hand or d4 acid hand. 122-slide and 122-acid hand is also a great mixup that I don't see to many players use.

I think you should only dash to get in or for punishment. Random dashes work sometimes but they are very punishable(I'm talking about offline only here). End bnb combos with slow fb or ex slow ball if you can spare the meter. One thing I like to use that I see no Reptiles use is after a an oki force ball dash in and do 12b1. Last hit hits low, gives enough advantage to where I've been able to get a 321 acid hand or d4 acid hand. 122-slide and 122-acid hand is also a great mixup that I don't see to many players use.
Actually I have seen Chris g has done 122 slide, 1221 alot. 1221 is better than acid hand because the 1 is the launch, then you can slide to get extra dammage or slow fb

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
IMO, Reptile plays offense and defense at the same time. He uses defensive options to freeze you or force you into errors that open up his ability to shift suddenly to offense. Basically, everything he does is constant pressure. Key to success with him, IMO, is taking advantage of his flexibility.

I think that's why he works so well for me. Flexibility.

AK Toxic

Graphic Designer
I'm not sure what my word is worth but..
Against Cyrax I just try to play as safe as possible, punish nets when close enough and keep meter to break.
All it takes is one net..

ggs to Muffin the other day, despite the lag lol.

Also, what other mixups do you guys like to use for pressure?
Lately, I've been using 321slide, because most players don't expect to block low afterwards.

I'm not sure what my word is worth but..
Against Cyrax I just try to play as safe as possible, punish nets when close enough and keep meter to break.
All it takes is one net..

ggs to Muffin the other day, despite the lag lol.

Lately, I've been using 321slide, because most players don't expect to block low afterwards.
Lmao, our matches sucked, LAGGED SOOO HARD.

If I'm in close playing the poke game, I like F2 or B1 cause the F2 hits overhead and the B1 hits low and you can use the negative edge to push a sfb out

AK Toxic

Graphic Designer
If I'm in close playing the poke game, I like F2 or B1 cause the F2 hits overhead and the B1 hits low and you can use the negative edge to push a sfb out
Possibly.. but that seems really unsafe. I'm looking for more of mixup strings like
321slide
321 1221
etc

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Possibly.. but that seems really unsafe. I'm looking for more of mixup strings like
321slide
321 1221
etc
321 slide is really unsafe too if it gets blocked, so use it sparingly but I use that too, 321 acid hand is a good one, because it's safe on block and allows an Inescapable elbow dash.