What's new

Your MK History

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
First time I saw MK was back in September of '92. I went into an arcade in Aegina (a greek island) to play the regulars that I used to play (Bubble Bobble, Double Dragon, Aero Fighters) when I noticed that the Street Fighter 2 machine was ALL ALONE !!!! :D I thought it was weird!

"Lucky me" I thought and spent all my coins playing SF2 without having ANY OTHER DUDE annoy me or waiting in line. Then, while leaving the arcade, I noticed a crowd of about 7-9 guys (2 of them playing) over a new machine which was MK1. My first impressions were "wow! blood..." and "WOW! That dude looks like Van Damme... This dude looks like Bruce Lee. This woman looks like Cynthia Rothrock. This dude looks like The Terminator" so it was easy for me to get addicted... Especially since I saw a blue ninja falling on the spikes after eating an uppercut from a thunder-looking, hat-wearing guy... AWESOME!!! Back then I was a Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, Yuen Biao, Sammo Hung, Van Damme, Sho Kosugi etc fan... As a result, Kang and Cage were my favorites from 1st impression.
For those who didn't live the 90's era, SF ATE DUST... Plain and simple...

HGTV DrFlash44

Quan Cheese!!!
Me and my friends OZZYGUITAR HGTV Ermacio HGTV Soapboxfan decided to screw around with mk vs. dc a little but we all sucked. Then when mk9 came out we decided to all get it. We all became way better than we ever excepted. It was mostly because soapboxfan would learn actual combos (lk b312 dash b312 etc.) and actual strategy so we all had to do the same to keep up and we kept getting better and better. Our first playing other players experience offline was at a dungeon battles at Mikemetroid 's in I believe like April. I couldn't go unfortunately, but they all did good so it gave me hope. I went to the next dungeon battles and was just hoping to get 1 win the whole time and I got 1 and did ok which made me to start believing in myself and I started to level up 10x since then. Then I made my tournament day view at ECT4. My first match was against Khunter who before my match Eazail told me got top 8 the year prior to so I became scared. Plus he played lk which is a 7-3 on quan. I played my heart out and was literally shaking with tournament nerves and actually pulled off teh win 2-1. It seemed like he hadn't played the game since ECT3 as he didn't even bring his own controller. It was still pure tournament nerves that I didn't blow him up. And then my next match was against Zaf who about a week before our match had won a major so I naturally thought that I was gonna get blown up. I lost 0-2, but I still was very close to getting the second game. I then had to hold my head up high as my next match was against Slasher43. He played kl game 1 and I blew him up by d1 trancing most of his teleports. Then he switched to Kabal who was also able to beat. Then I had to play on the main stream against none other than KT Smith. I was so nervous being on the main stream on such with my tournament life on the line. Game 1 I got absolutely bodied. Game 2 I got a round but still ended up getting babied. Not the greatest moment of my mk career, but I still went 2-2 at my first tournament and ended up 25th out of 76 entrants. My next major was Summer Jam 6. This thread shows my experience there. http://testyourmight.com/threads/my-time-at-summer-jam-with-video.23626/ . My next tournament will be NEC in about 3 weeks. So we'll see what happens there, but I warn everyone I'm more prepared than ever.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I first bought the game 2 weeks after it had came out. My first main was Smoke (and Scorpion, but everyone mained Scorpion back then.) I was unaware of how the game "worked". I didn't basic fighting game fundamentals because it was my first FG ever. Back then, you were only classified as a skilled player if you knew a lot of combos lol. I had a lot of trouble landing Smokes main launchers (3d12 and b23) so I dropped him.

One day, I was wasting time on youtube, when I saw a TylerLantern combo video. It amazed me. I quickly watched many more combo videos from him, because they were so damn awesome. However, one video he made changed my MK life. It was his "Reptile combo compilation". Seeing the 321 ED BnB for the first time was sooooo cool back then. He inspired me to pick up Reptile, and if I had never seen that video, I don't know who my main would have been.

So then I mained Reptile. Landing his 122 FFB BnB took me hours, and I mean HOURS on end to land. When I finally got it, I felt a huge sense of pride and satisfaction. However, I couldn't land than in a real match, so I kept playing Smoke online, and worked day and night on Reptile.

Come November, I wasn't into the game that much. I accidentally deleted my save data, and put the game away for a long time.

Come February, I was so bored of all my old games and was looking for one to play. Enter MK9. I decided to play it for a little bit to work on it. First character I tried in Practice Mode was Reptile. Once I remembered the inputs, I landed that thing 10 times in a row. I was amazed and picked that game right back up.

Around May, I met quandaghost in ranked. He played Scorpion, and he was daamn good. He whooped my ass, but he was nice about it. He invited me to a party, and a KOTH, and shared some tips on what and what not to do. He told me to stop playing randoms if I wanted to get better, instead, he said join a site called TYM. I was reluctant at first, but I started lurking on there.

I forget when, but I remembered there was a "Saturday Night Lagfest" tournament one night. Quan joined, and he said I should join the room and play casuals with people. First TYM'er I've ever played was STB Sgt Reed. He sent me a message saying "FT3?" and I didn't know what it meant lol. Quan explained to me what it meant, and we played. Reed beat me 3-0 with babies everywhere. I sent him a GG's message, and a FR. He sent back a GG's and accepted it. The next morning, I joined TYM, and met all of the wonderful people on here. If it hadn't been for quan, I'd still be playing ranked and not knowing the importance of a d1 and spacing.
I babied you? lol .... I don't remember that but good times, good times! XD

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
I'd really like to post here, but I don't want to think about how long it'd take to type it all.
Hey dude, you play umk3 right? do you have mkak? I would love to get some games in with a high level player if your down, I'm trying to learn the game its so fun!!!

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Hey dude, you play umk3 right? do you have mkak? I would love to get some games in with a high level player if your down, I'm trying to learn the game its so fun!!!
Come to a tournament like NEC in Philly and get me to squeeze in some time with you, as any time a new player comes to an event I try to dedicate some 1 on 1 against them. Otherwise, I don't play online.

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
Come to a tournament like NEC in Philly and get me to squeeze in some time with you, as any time a new player comes to an event I try to dedicate some 1 on 1 against them. Otherwise, I don't play online.
thats understandable. I really wanna make it to nec.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
MK is special to me because MK1 is the very first video game I ever played. My brother brian gave me the controller and was like "here, press start, up, up" (scorpion's fatality MK1). I played MK1 and even though it took a really long time, I eventual found and defeated reptile. MK2. All my brothers are into it. Their friend John would always beat them...until they gave their six year old little brother the controller. I knew EVERY fatality but I liked using reptile and scorpion the most. Also, what ever happened to ceiling spikes? I remember doing that to John because my brother danny was like "oh he even got you in the spikes dude!".

Sadly, mk3 and umk3 went right over my head. Playstation was out and everyone was moving on to games like tekken and doom. I played trilogy but the way the game worked was so confusing to me that I didn't really find much enjoyment from it...unless I was cyrax and got you with a net.

MK4 and MKDA were the last two mk games that I played up until mk9. I fiddled with the mkdc demo once, but it left me saying "how is this a complete game?". lol

Sorry. I put MK : DA but it made a smiley instead because of the space. Stupid emoticons!

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
This will be a testament, so get ready LOL

Dude, back in the day when i was like 9 or 8, i started playing MK1 on NES, we play that shit so much that we master the game at the highest possible level, that shit was so tight broken that you could do 5 hits combos in the corner, throw OTG your opponent, some characters could even throw cancel with a special attack, AA was glk in that game that no one ever bother jumping, corner was so powerful that once you got stuck it would be really hard to get out.

Eventually 1 year later i finally saw the true MK1 arcade machine near some hospital, i played and got amazed by the reality of that time, so fucking real, i played all the versions since then, Mk1, Mk2, MK3, UMk3, then MKT for very freaking long years, even if we found that unlimited Run martial law, we still enjoy the game and we still rape some players with 2 nightwolfes on 2 vs 2 matches.

On MKT era, Angola was some sort of china, the most greatest players where target by other greater players and challenged often for reputation in the country, the most people you battle the most your rep increases,, even without internet the news just run faster than 1mbps per second.

It was thanks to it that, that i've met the greatest players of all time in my country, was able to be one of top 10 strongest on that time, only defeated by the top 5.
Then MK Deadly alliance comes out, i played and did some broken shit with sonya, but that game wasn't so hype as MKT was, so we kept playing MKT during all MK 3D generation, including MK vs DC, no one didn't bother buying.

But with the release of MK9, i followed from the scratch, from the very beginning, ideas, every video, and i immediately felt this game would be a blast and accepted among any true MK 2D fighter since MK Trilogy.

TYM Saga with MK9
I bought MK9 2 weeks after the release, was so hyped about it, and played every day, learned every character after finishing the story mode, and pick Kitana and Scorpion as mains, then used KL and Cage as secondaries.

I remember coming to TYM, sharing my introduction, and get the sensation of been a noob, something like "Eddy Wang? who tha fuq is that?" I remember, of keep socializing, talking with Juggs about UMK3, and AREZ God of War about how ninjas where so OP in UMK3 and MKT.
I Remember my first front paged video by STORMS.

I remember of mistaking TylerLantern as a combo artist on that time, when a lot of ppl where give him too much shit of how he wasn't good at true competitive fighting because he didn't take tourneys on that time, but still the haters where copying his combos and trying to use on tournaments (Believe me bro, it was used here by some dudes, but they failed to win lol)

I remember when he uploaded the Scorpion corner of 64% Damage, i was so noob at MK at that time, that i didn't even believed that combo was possible, and talked a lot of shit on youtube (sorry bro, being a noob at something is stupid as hell lol)

I remember when Check was doing some gdlk scorpion against Chris G reptile if i'm not mistaken on that time when no one new frame data, 111, d1, 111, d1 (remember that bro? lol).
When check was presenting resets on tag with scorpion and sub, CYRAX RESETS Pre-Patch, and POST PATCH.

And of course, the most important until know, becoming Skarlet's mod after a year, devotion and love for the character.
Bring the angolan community together, thanks to that when NeoRussell scheduled his trip, he learned about a MK Scene in Angola, and even if the opportunity was really slight to be with him only for about 2 hours, we had a lot of hype, we love it, we laugh as hell, we sweat during the matches against him, we learned the true meaning of GG's, and he has heighten the fighting spirit of every angolan that did a set with him, now they want to become even more stronger.
Also it seems the news has run so fast without even we publish on internet, that in 24h, a lot of people learned about the Angola's Gauntlet match against him, and i got some calls from ppl i didn't even spoke in years asking me what happened and how he did ended up on a country like this, and telling that was hype.

I'm also hearing stories and a lot of things like " He came here, kicked everyone's but without even losing a round" LOOOOOOL, just like in china era stories.

Future Goals
Coming to a U.S scene, meet the community, VSM guys, KH guys, STORMS, JUGGS, AREZ (without any snake pls) Pig Of The Hut, m2dave (you too fool:p ) Redraptor10, @LordoftheFLY, EWA Shock my favorite Ermac top tier of UMK3, Combo Master ded ( I used his scorpion Corner combo of MKT on some casuals in the past, so gdlk), Espio, Goldfish, Chongo, and everyone else i can

Coming to an Holland scene, and meet AssassiN[be]

Are you happy red? its your fault, i just got carried away :eek:

piemaster

mortal hater
RedRaptor10
Well......
Ive always loved mortal kombat when i was little like just watching people play it and i effin loved the movies. Scorpion has been my hero sine i was in first grade, but as a kid i never played it serious or anything. Mk4 and trilogy have always been like my top 5 favorite games, but i never knew what the hell i was doing. Then when mk9 was coming out i didnt really know too much about it or anything but Mothmonsterman0 kept telling me to get it then eventually convinced me to pre order it so he could play it the 4 days it was out before he had the money to buy it :)
and even when i played it i sucked, then about 2 months after the game came out i broke my foot and sprained my ankle skateboarding. so all i could really do was play with my cousin and we just wanted to be the best online, we sucked but we didnt know that so it was all good. It wasnt until he quit and i started playing alone and discovered testyourmight that i actually started to semi understand the game. so after a few months of that, around christmas i posted the SAINT LOUIS!!!!! thread because i was so sick of online and i just hoped to find anyone who played in stl. slips posted on there and invited me to go play with them, me being the idiot i was had no idea who slips was. so without explanation i got blown the living hell up to, but my first night there was also isreal's so we both got to understand how it was. so after a couple months of being blown up every thursday and saturday, RedRaptor10 comes along and me getting blown up still continues. now sadly with you leaving and TTT coming out the scene here is dead. on a side note we are reviving ssb64. but anyways now im here all alone in my online world......:(

MK3 was actually one of the first games I played. I had MK1, MK2, MK3, KI, SF2, so it's no coincidence that I still play fighters til this day.

Error

DF2+R2
Making our first debut in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Ermac has been a controversial and mysterious character in the Mortal Kombat series whose existence was rumored since its inception.
We are a Fusion of many souls destroyed in Outworld's wars who came to be controlled by Emperor Shao Kahn and his Shadow Priests. Due to the sheer concentration of souls within Ermac, we possesses the gift of telekinesis, and can travel to different realms. However, the depths of Netherrealm drain our powers and souls. We is weakened dramatically while there, but a mysterious stone dubbed the Soul Stone Shujinko found for him would protect our souls.
Disappearing after the events of Mortal Kombat Trilogy, we only returned in Mortal Kombat: Deception, where we were freed from Shao Kahn's grip by the blind swordsman Kenshi, whom we repaid by teaching him the Telekinetic Slam. We decided to become a force of good partly in guilt of his past evils. To prove this, we decided to help Liu Kang free the souls of his friends from control of Onaga.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
Wow... I have an excessively long MK history, so I'll only start with the beginning in detail.

The first fighting game I was into was Street Fighter 2, but when MK1 came out in '92, I pretty much instantly hopped on that bandwagon. I'd never seen a video game so real looking, especially one so violent... AND AWESOME. I was 8 years old. =) I grew up an NES junky, thanks to my mom (who was one also), and MK1's graphics were totally amazing to me in comparison. I was first exposed to MK1 at the arcade of our elementary school bowling league in Staten Island.

When MK1 came out for console, we only had an NES at that time. My parents knew how much I loved that game, so they bought an SNES for the holidays and my very own copy of MK1. To my disappointment, it wasn't violent at all like the arcade version! They returned it to Toys R Us and got it for Sega instead, which was totally awesome of them. The graphics were slightly worse, but OMG I COULD MAKE BLOOD AND DEATH HAPPEN WITH A CODE! I was the happiest, most corrupted kid ever! I still remember the old blood code, A-B-A-C-A-B-B, and all the fatalities from MK1. I was so pissed for a long time that my cousin wouldn't tell me any of Johnny Cage's moves, but I eventually figured it out.

At summer camp (also a bungalow colony), they had an MK1 cabinet (and later MK2 and UMK3). Almost every summer I was there, I was awarded "Best Camper at Mortal Kombat". Arcade games weren't an actual camp activity. I wasn't good at camp activities, and I often skipped camp altogether to hang out in the arcade. We lived on the campgrounds during the summers, unlike most other campers/visitors, so it was easy to just run off and do my own thing. (If you have no idea what a bungalow colony is, just google it. It's an traditional New Yorker/Jewish thing most often.) I also loved playing Adam's Family Pin-Ball.

So that began my history of MK. I have console versions of MK (also for Gamegear and Gameboy), MK2, MK3, UMK3, MK Trilogy, MK4, MK Gold, MK Mythologies, MK: DA, MK: Deception, and now MK9. I have an NES, Gameboy, Gamegear, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, PS1 (gave to the Salvation Army), PS2, and PS3. I didn't care for Mythologies, so I didn't get any of the other story-mode type of MK games. I skipped MK: Armageddon and MK vs DC because I had no one to play against. None of my friends wanted to play any MK games against me. I also habitually played on online tank game called Tanarus for 13 years, so that occupied my gaming needs when my interest in MK faded. I bought a PS3 when MK9 came out and got really back into it again. I know some of the titles I own are essentially redundant, but I didn't care. I needed ALL OF THEM.

I could write a lot more about this, but you all get the idea. I think I have an addiction to video games, especially fighting games. I'm also into a few of the Virtua Fighters, MvC's, Soul Caliburs, etc, but not nearly as much as MK games. There were random other fighting games too that I was into, like Fighting Vipers and Time Killers. I'd say my second favorite series is Soul Calibur. Ok, that's it for now. Peace!