What's new

You Got CAGED! - The Johnny Cage Matchup Thread

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Because Raiden can tele out of frametraps, you can make him learn them and then start faking them and restart them as he teleports and catch him in another 1

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
No, this is all wrong w/Raiden advice:

-Most people don't know, but Raiden's EX Shock is one of the best moves in the game. Why? Armor. So if you are frame trapping Raiden, and he activates EX-Shock, he will absorb a hit, start shocking you, and now you just lost 30%

-You can't just uppercut teleport on reaction. Most of the time he's out of JC's range and his B3 has more range than what you have

-Raiden teleport gets him out of lots of mixups and he doesn't have to commit to anything other than B3, 1, 2 mixup

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
-You can't just uppercut teleport on reaction. Most of the time he's out of JC's range and his B3 has more range than what you have

-Raiden teleport gets him out of lots of mixups and he doesn't have to commit to anything other than B3, 1, 2 mixup
Well, to be fair, his teleport is being nerfed - personally, I'm indifferent. In one regard, I think without his TP shenanigans perhaps the Raiden players will figure out something new. On the other hand, it'll probably drop him down the tier list.

None the less, this matchup will become easier.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
You can't just uppercut teleport on reaction. Most of the time he's out of JC's range and his B3 has more range than what you have
??? I don't know why you're not able to punish his teleport with uppercut: offline I'm able to use b3 and start a decent combo.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Have either of you faced a good raiden? Cause its like saying just bait out supermans. Its not nearly as simple. Raiden has enough time to teleport and B3

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Have either of you faced a good raiden? Cause its like saying just bait out supermans. Its not nearly as simple. Raiden has enough time to teleport and B3
I have. A good Raiden is a royal pain in the ass and will use that teleport to the absolute limits. 3 scenarios will constantly happen, and you'll always be aware of them. B3, sweep or throw; B3 is the worst threat here though so I instinctively block high which always leaves me open to a throw or sweep. If I attempt to either crossover the B3 after the string, or jump away, I'll immediately be frametrapped by a superman. You can attempt to block them after this, and punish the superman, but they'll likely catch on to this pretty quickly.

I've yet to face a defensive Raiden, nothing but pure offensive Raidens who base their entire game around the teleport. I do agree that this tactic is only viable online, however, but it's pretty damn effective online.

Cage's best string, F3,2, whiffs against a crouch blocking Quan Chi. I think this swings the matchup to be even.
Does it? That's interesting. I have to hit the lab with Quan, he's a rough matchup for me I don't understand him.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I have. A good Raiden is a royal pain in the ass and will use that teleport to the absolute limits. 3 scenarios will constantly happen, and you'll always be aware of them. B3, sweep or throw; B3 is the worst threat here though so I instinctively block high which always leaves me open to a throw or sweep. If I attempt to either crossover the B3 after the string, or jump away, I'll immediately be frametrapped by a superman. You can attempt to block them after this, and punish the superman, but they'll likely catch on to this pretty quickly.
Yes, this is exactly what I'm referring to. The Raiden I play will teleport, back up, then punish your whiffed pokes w/B3 and say goodbye to 36%. And I also get swept a lot because I'm a pretty good throw breaker, but those sweeps add up and it's very annoying. I try to jump away, that doesn't always work. It's so much of a guessing game, so frustrating

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Yes, this is exactly what I'm referring to. The Raiden I play will teleport, back up, then punish your whiffed pokes w/B3 and say goodbye to 36%. And I also get swept a lot because I'm a pretty good throw breaker, but those sweeps add up and it's very annoying. I try to jump away, that doesn't always work. It's so much of a guessing game, so frustrating
Its a fair match, if the other player is better or just knows your tendencies you're going to lose. There is nothing raiden can do that you don't have an answer for with cage, just like there is nothing you can do that raiden doesnt have an answer for

If you think he is going to do something right after teleport, just poke. If you think he is going to back up and start his string, back up yourself and whiff punish him. His B3 isn't very fast and the recovery on whiff is pretty bad.

Raiden just isnt a character you can own for free ith pressure like a lot of the cast. But that doesn't make it a bad fight for cage you just have to work for your win.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Raiden just isnt a character you can own for free ith pressure like a lot of the cast.
Yeah, I think THIS is what's making me insane the most. I can mentally adjust to any matchup and change my playstyle on the fly.........except Raiden. I hate spending the entire match looking JUST for teleport, so annoying

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
One issue I have with the F3, 2 is that if its done against an opponent who jumped back wards they will fly full screen if the "2" hits.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
When you're Caging you have to respect the options ur opponent has to escape, so if they try to jump you need to use the right string (1,1) You cant just throw out strings expecting to constantly frame trap them.

Yeah, I think THIS is what's making me insane the most. I can mentally adjust to any matchup and change my playstyle on the fly.........except Raiden. I hate spending the entire match looking JUST for teleport, so annoying
I absolutely hate fighting a Raiden, such a pain because he makes you think way too much on whether he is going to teleport or back up and b3 etc. Raiden just has a strong tendency to keep you guessing constantly and is very annoying.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
How do you beat a really good defensive Kitana? I know EX Shadow Kick isn't a good idea to do vs her iAF, so what do I do? By the time I get in, she can just square wave away, it's pretty annoying.

leek

Noob
How do you beat a really good defensive Kitana? I know EX Shadow Kick isn't a good idea to do vs her iAF, so what do I do? By the time I get in, she can just square wave away, it's pretty annoying.
Have you seen marvaz versus a kitana? He plays it perfectly imo.

you have to be extremely patient and just advance forward while crouching(not holding block). just have to wait until you feel comfortable with how the opponent plays and how they are reacting.

http://www.twitch.tv/s1lent1/b/291989846 starts around 38:00 and they play through a LOT of matches. It's about feeling out the kitana's style and reacting accordingly, there isn't one move that defines the match imo.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions

you have to be extremely patient and just advance forward while crouching(not holding block). just have to wait until you feel comfortable with how the opponent plays and how they are reacting.

http://www.twitch.tv/s1lent1/b/291989846 starts around 38:00 and they play through a LOT of matches. It's about feeling out the kitana's style and reacting accordingly, there isn't one move that defines the match imo.

Play Kitana like you'd play Sub, just get the life lead and back off. Even if shes building meter it dont matter because you cant break chip damage :D

jbthrash

Nut Breaker
I don't feel like reading 5 pages. Does anybody have any tips on beating milleena? Every time I close the distance she just does down 3 or down4. What can you do to stop her?

jbthrash

Nut Breaker
I have a few questions about this thread. Is the first page updated frequently? I noticed that Smoke is on this list and not milleena or reptile. I've never really had consistent problems with Smoke.

Is there a chart that shows all of Cage's matchups? Such as out of ten fights how did he win and lose against that character.

I do think it's odd that Cage is ranked so high on the tier list, when he has so many bad match ups.

No the first post isn't updated. If you got a question about a matchup you ask here. As for the matchup numbers they're stickied on the johnny cage forum, just gotta do a little searching even though it's sorta right there in your face.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios

There is, its called square wave, if the kitana abuses it you're in big trouble. It's nearly unpunishable and beats almost everything during its active frames. Safe on block too if they do the instant air one. It gets the kitana out of the corner for free unless you specifically go for interrupting it, and if kitana doesnt do it and does something like fan or lift you eat a combo.