What's new

General/Other - Killer XL Killer Leatherface Discussion Thread

TommyKing5

But the saw... the saw is family
Found this interesting documentary. This is telling about the real Leatherface. Maybe NRS tributed this character from him?

Many horror icons were based on Ed Gein. Leatherface was probably the most closely related, and I think the serial killer from 'Silence Of The Lambs' (Buffalo Bill, I think?) was also based on him.

Quite a disturbing individual. Most serial killers take some sort of trophy from their victims, but Ed Gein took it to a very different level. Luckily he was caught before he could harm anyone else.

I don't think killer is actually as bad as ppl say ? Underrated ? Underrepresented ?

Buffs you want ?
Leatherface is usually considered a good character (but not great). And Killer is almost universally considered the best variation he has.

As for buffs, mostly things like reworking 3, F4, and his BS2. Maybe a few things like a little more mids or enhancements of certain EX moves *cough*EX Ground Sparks*cough*

TommyKing5

Leatherface is usually considered a good character (but not great). And Killer is almost universally considered the best variation he has.

As for buffs, mostly things like reworking 3, F4, and his BS2. Maybe a few things like a little more mids or enhancements of certain EX moves *cough*EX Ground Sparks*cough*
Yeah Leatherface isn't bad, he has good tools at his disposal but other characters have it better, that doesn't mean he's useless though.

Yeah I can't think of an instance where I'll use ex chain sparks. Pointless move, unless someone can prove it otherwise.

TommyKing5

Butcher deserves some HUGE Buffs
Yes, he definitely does! I've played him quite a bit these last few days, just for a break from Killer. Only thing I miss is the damage really. Oh and he literally has no way in against zoning characters, because his walk speed is terrible, but his run definitely makes up for it, but to be honest it's not enough. His non-enhanced command grab nearly sends them full screen and ex db3 sends them about the same distance, and that distance is not ideal for Butcher in any way shape or form. Luckily ex-df4 keeps them a good distance and is quite fast and does a nice chunk of damage.

He does do great meter-less damage, but I really struggle to get anything over 41%, even when spending bar(s). I'm probably not doing the most optimal combos, however. Maybe it's because I'm used to huge Killer damage and fail to see that it's actually a good amount.

I wouldn't know how to balance him. It's clear that Netherrealm don't want to give that vortex back. But how could Butcher be buffed? I'm clueless in this regard.

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
Yes, he definitely does! I've played him quite a bit these last few days, just for a break from Killer. Only thing I miss is the damage really. Oh and he literally has no way in against zoning characters, because his walk speed is terrible, but his run definitely makes up for it, but to be honest it's not enough. His non-enhanced command grab nearly sends them full screen and ex db3 sends them about the same distance, and that distance is not ideal for Butcher in any way shape or form. Luckily ex-df4 keeps them a good distance and is quite fast and does a nice chunk of damage.

He does do great meter-less damage, but I really struggle to get anything over 41%, even when spending bar(s). I'm probably not doing the most optimal combos, however. Maybe it's because I'm used to huge Killer damage and fail to see that it's actually a good amount.

I wouldn't know how to balance him. It's clear that Netherrealm don't want to give that vortex back. But how could Butcher be buffed? I'm clueless in this regard.
buffs in butcher would be less punishable movements i think , and less frames in some moves....

I use more PL than Killer and Butcher but i want to use Butcher more often..

Are there any mid combo starter that aren't super slow? I mean I try to mix in a lot of overheads to make ppl stand but still my best string is easily ducked.

TommyKing5

Are there any mid combo starter that aren't super slow? I mean I try to mix in a lot of overheads to make ppl stand but still my best string is easily ducked.
D3 beserker stance 1 is your best friend when you're being low profiled :)

Ghosty1981

Dog will hunt!
Yeah I was messing around with d3 cancels. They're pretty tight in terms of execution. Thanks for the reply!
Just remember, in case you didn't already know, that the down input counts for both d3 and db3. So the link becomes d3~b31 instead of d3~db3.

Treat it like you are doing a standard db3 with a quick extra 3 thrown in and it is much easier.

Ghosty1981

Dog will hunt!
Anyone tested out the changes with Killer much? I realize there weren't any specific changes to the variation, but the added armor on bf3 and db1 seem like they will be huge. One of the biggest problems I had with Killer was getting cornered by a character with fast attacks, as armored wake-ups were too slow to get through before being broken.

I haven't played enough to really test it out, but I've performed armored wake-ups that never would have worked against the likes of Johnny Cage, and I've won those matches when I had been successfully cornered. It just feels like this general change has covered a major weakness of Killer; if he can armor out or wake-up with an overhead or low depending on need, there is no reason not to play a little more aggressively, especially with his high damage, gapless combos that won't be easily armored out of.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Anyone tested out the changes with Killer much? I realize there weren't any specific changes to the variation, but the added armor on bf3 and db1 seem like they will be huge. One of the biggest problems I had with Killer was getting cornered by a character with fast attacks, as armored wake-ups were too slow to get through before being broken.

I haven't played enough to really test it out, but I've performed armored wake-ups that never would have worked against the likes of Johnny Cage, and I've won those matches when I had been successfully cornered. It just feels like this general change has covered a major weakness of Killer; if he can armor out or wake-up with an overhead or low depending on need, there is no reason not to play a little more aggressively, especially with his high damage, gapless combos that won't be easily armored out of.
Pretty much everything this patch did helped Leatherface do what he wants

TommyKing5

Yeah the changes to his armoured moves help him significantly. Going for the unblockable after F2 isn't as risky anymore as the armour threat isn't as strong.

The Johnny, D'vorah and Jax matchups are much more even now. But Mileena still is a pain, for Killer and the other two variants.

All in all, Killer indirectly got buffed because of the nerfs to armour and stamina characters, as well as + frames. But zoners are more of a threat.

Yeah Leatherface isn't bad, he has good tools at his disposal but other characters have it better, that doesn't mean he's useless though.

Yeah I can't think of an instance where I'll use ex chain sparks. Pointless move, unless someone can prove it otherwise.
Does EX chain sparks not have armor? That could lead to roughly a 30% combo.

jmt

Noob
I've played killer since day 1 and I've never used ex chain sparks. No clue what it would ever be used for.