What's new

General/Other - Goro XL Goro General Discussion Thread

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
DF Impressions so far

F2 is pretty useful. Now Goro has a fairly legit mid string for confirming and you can cancel into safe or + specials. Also sets up D1 tick throws since it's +2. So glad he got this.

The EX PW nerf kinda sucks but it's not terrible because:
1) Comboability aside, EX stomp and low fang are actually better reversals. You can't jump over stomp like you can PW and if they block fang you are +7 with pressure instead of -5 and in a mixup like PW.
2) Zoning is scarier with the faster fireball and 2 hits of armor on EX stomp so knocking them full screen instead of getting a combo isn't horrible
3) Normal PW is still safe and you can still EX it for a launch​

D4 into F3 works without having to take step now which is nice

Haven't played enough yet to know if I like him more or less than prepatch, but I will say that the new Goro is interesting. His playstyle hasn't changed very much; just feels more solid with having a functioning mid that covers some ground.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Someone explain to me the all the Kuatan Warrior downplay.

With the new FB, I firmly believe FB/GP space control is better than Tigrar's. Enlighten me pls.

People need to definitely stop downplaying KW.

I play KW exclusively and in my opinion, groundpound and the new fireball especially are more like sister moves to telestomp. They work so well with each other and boost each other's effectiveness. KW zoning is a real thing.

Solomon Gorondy

Should Goro be top 5?
In my eyes, Kutie Warrior is not as good as the other two Goro for these raisins;
  1. Tigrar and Dragon's offense is better because of their low specials; Kutie Warrior has limited low mix-ups.
  2. KW relies on Fist Flurry EX to extend combos; the other two variations have extra launchers.
  3. Chest Lunge had a niche, but now Forward+3 outclasses it even more than before.
  4. Fury and Fangs have better footie tools via fire breath and increased reach.
  5. Outside of zoning specific characters from full-screen, Ground Pound is useless.
Me thinks Goro has moved up the tier list but their is still no reason to pick Futon Warrior

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
In my eyes, Kutie Warrior is not as good as the other two Goro for these raisins;
  1. Tigrar and Dragon's offense is better because of their low specials; Kutie Warrior has limited low mix-ups.
  2. KW relies on Fist Flurry EX to extend combos; the other two variations have extra launchers.
  3. Chest Lunge had a niche, but now Forward+3 outclasses it even more than before.
  4. Fury and Fangs have better footie tools via fire breath and increased reach.
  5. Outside of zoning specific characters from full-screen, Ground Pound is useless.
Me thinks Goro has moved up the tier list but their is still no reason to pick Futon Warrior
I'd be more inclined to play KW vs those with poor mobility than tigrar. IMO the low option with DF is a nice addition but absolutely not necessary for his offence, particularly in this current patch. Startup and recovery on low fireball I find is awful , and unless I'm mistaken, you can hit Goro or at least jump out of strings into low FB. I think it's a reaaaally ghetto mixup that's not worth using. The fact that this is an 'extra' launcher in Tigrar, to me, is meaningless since PW is an easier HC anyway. Fire breath is ok, but I find it's only worth using when they're cornered on knockdown. Apart from that it's fairly risky to throw out in neutral due to its recovery.

The low threat from ground pound in KW I believe is stronger than Tigrar low fb due to the lack of need to 'choose where it lands'. If they stay on the ground, they're hit. FB forces neutral duck patience which is blown up by GP. On top of that you can fake GP to run in and u1 in many cases, getting a free punish. Even despite the OTG nerfs, GP into EX GP is still about 20%, and a fantastic way to close out rounds. All in all I think the -threat- of GP forces more reckless reaction from the opponent than low fireball does.

Overall I'd still say DF is the best (I've advocated this for a long time), but I'm not buying what you're selling in regards to why Tigrar is better than Kuatan. It's all personal opinion, but idk man. I think low fireball and flame breath are only useful vs shittier player or players with matchup inexperience.

KW just gets large chunks of unblockable damage over the course of the match and the opponents health is gone before they realize it.

The new fireball makes it even better because now you can get a meaty projectile from full screen after a command grab ender. No more delaying it to catch jump outs.

All which synergizes really well with U1/2.

And please, let's not downplay a 10 frame, advancing, multi-armored, position-switching 17% special move. It's pretty damn good. It can reversal punish so many things that the other variations can't.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
That nerf to air attacks is more beneficial to Goro that I would have thought, i've been testing it, I swear you can straight up see that frame where the attack would normally hit before, and you beat it out.

U1/U2 is even better.

I still use B2 on read though, if they're too far for U1/U2, risky I know.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S

When ending your combo's with Shokan Grab, the opponent is forced to either block or amour through a follow up EX Shokan Bolt. From this range, if the EX Shokan Bolt allows a guaranteed EX Ground Pound follow up on hit or block. (Although the timing is tight when blocked)

If the opponent doesn't block, trying to jump or backdash out, you'll get 15% (EX FB) + ~11% (EX GP) = 26%.

If the opponent blocks, they'll eat 3.88% chip (EX FB) + 10% (EX GP) = 13.88%.

Depending on the armour move options of the opponent, you may get a guaranteed 15% and possibly more if they attempt to armour. I imagine it's no good against wakup slides however. This will be case by case, and needs further testing.

All in all, this looks like it'll be a fantastic way to force some extra damage onto your opponent and help you with creative ways to close out the round.

@EVB Alright RyRy
@Decay
@Espio
@Knoterror
@Pterodactyl

Pyro

Noob
You have to burn two bars to get it. The uppercut portion doesn't come out for one bar ex punch walk now.
Hm i did exactly that, but then in kustom kombat with brutality mode enabled. Guess it just doesn't work in that mode then?

Pyro

Noob
are you holding 4?
Just went back into the lab. Now i got it with no trouble at all. I'm sure i was holding 4, but i must;ve made an input error somewhere, perhaps just the timing. Thanks.

You have to burn two bars to get it. The uppercut portion doesn't come out for one bar ex punch walk now.
It seems that you can still get the brutality by burning a meter at the end of regular punchwalk and holding 4.

Last edited: