What's new

General/Other - Goro XL Goro General Discussion Thread

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
Back 1,2, 1 is actually +2. As are all parts of 2,1,2. Back 1,2, up 2 isn't actually plus though it's more like neutral.

Reversals are quite strange indeed. This happens with some other plus strings like Kitana's 2,1 and elbow dash etc.
Been testing some more, this time against goro's command grab on reversal. Although these strings (such as b121, 21, 121 and s1) are listed as +2 and the grab is 8 frames, the best you can do is get it to trade with his 9 frame b1 followup. For some reason this also happened with lackey's roll even though it's one frame slower. I think either his b1 is really 10 frames, his strings are only +1, or something is really up with reversals. The thing about b12u2 is strange too. Yeah it's definitely neutral since I can only get command grabs to trade with really tight execution, but why would they list it wrong?

Espio

Kokomo
Been testing some more, this time against goro's command grab on reversal. Although these strings (such as b121, 21, 121 and s1) are listed as +2 and the grab is 8 frames, the best you can do is get it to trade with his 9 frame b1 followup. For some reason this also happened with lackey's roll even though it's one frame slower. I think either his b1 is really 10 frames, his strings are only +1, or something is really up with reversals. The thing about b12u2 is strange too. Yeah it's definitely neutral since I can only get command grabs to trade with really tight execution, but why would they list it wrong?
I just was in the lab for 15 minutes testing with Mileena's ball roll that is eight frames and low profiles Goro's pokes. The results are weird. 2,1 I was able to many times stuff her roll out completely despite it low profiling pokes with down 3, but then there were several instances where she was able to trade or sometimes beat it. Reversals if I recall come out a frame faster than if you were to try to get out with a normal. The blockstun in this game is also all over the place. Like I said, the way reversals function in this game is weird and while the A.I. is capable of just performing the action without doing all the inputs and reacting that a human does, we still have to manually do them and react to the frame traps.

1 or 2 frames goes by very quickly. I am assuming that's the cause for inconsistent results. Even if you're plus 12, if you hesitate or are late your opponent may still be able to escape your pressure and punish you.

I've used all these strings offline against opponents at tournaments though and the frames are reliable for sustaining pressure, but even if they were all neutral or only plus 1 since Goro has 6 frame low pokes he'd still be likely to win post blocked anyway in most scenarios so it really isn't game changing either way.

Edit: I also tested this with Kitana's 2,1 string and got similar results to what I got when I did Goro's 2,1 string. Mostly stopped her from rolling, but there were still several instances of trading or beating it out, which I will attribute to human timing as well most likely. May have video in a couple hours to showcase this.

@dennycascade Just to show you what I mean. 2,1 is plus two on block for both Goro and Kitana, but watch these:

Last edited:

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
PC mods.

They look so dope though.

I love Goro.
Things that would be cool:
Kintaro Skin
Sheeva Skin (not that it'll happen, but a man can dream)
CAPE
MK1 costume (yeah, it's similar. Still would be dope tho)
Whatever @Decay wants to add lib with (I trust his designs more than my own ideas, hahaha)

Decay

King of the Bill
Things that would be cool:
Kintaro Skin
Sheeva Skin (not that it'll happen, but a man can dream)
CAPE
MK1 costume (yeah, it's similar. Still would be dope tho)
Whatever @Decay wants to add lib with (I trust his designs more than my own ideas, hahaha)
Haha. Man I can see a shokan Prince outfit where he's decked out in like fancy stuff. Also an emperor outfit where he wears Shao Kahns helmet and spikes. It would also be cool if he had a costume where he was like undead, sort of like Revanant skins!

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
So I was fooling around with Goros new BnB in Dragon Fangs props to @dennycascade again, so I wanted to see what was the most he can get for 2 meters.

If you finish the combo with a traditional SG you get 48%, but if you finish it with a "gimmick" telestomp you net 53%. The one reason why I like this setup is because it puts you in the corner so the tech roll back dash thing no longer helps, or it is just a tighter gap.

@Espio
@Cage Redfield
@EMPEROR_KNICKS
@ARMOR
@Cabjoy
@Mourneblade
@Decay
@tylerlansdown

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I've been thinking, how does Goro control his 2nd pair of arms?
I'm sure as you all know, there are tons of muscles outside the arm that control the arm.. like the pecs and the upper back. Does Goro have 2 pairs of pecs? Or like 4 lats?

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
I've been thinking, how does Goro control his 2nd pair of arms?
I'm sure as you all know, there are tons of muscles outside the arm that control the arm.. like the pecs and the upper back. Does Goro have 2 pairs of pecs? Or like 4 lats?
I hear he hoola hoops a lot. With precise control over his hip movements he can make his second pair of arms do what he wants.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Goro does nice damage on his combos, but some of his best players utilize his resets at odd times. I just wish I saw more of him. Across all his variations, I love his matchup with Sun God. Its so perfect and the rivalry is real.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Goro does nice damage on his combos, but some of his best players utilize his resets at odd times. I just wish I saw more of him. Across all his variations, I love his matchup with Sun God. Its so perfect and the rivalry is real.
what resets? Goro doesn't have a reset. He has a restand in KW but its pretty much useless with the damage you lose out on.

GAV

what resets? Goro doesn't have a reset. He has a restand in KW but its pretty much useless with the damage you lose out on.
You play a great Goro, but you never utilize his resets. His setups in Dragon Fang are really what I'm referring too.

I'm impressed by you not knowing this. It proves to me that you figured everything out on your own. There are ALOT of YT vids that break down his resets.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
You play a great Goro, but you never utilize his resets. His setups in Dragon Fang are really what I'm referring too.

I'm impressed by you not knowing this. It proves to me that you figured everything out on your own. There are ALOT of YT vids that break down his resets.
I still have no idea what you are talking about, so if you can please post the links so maybe I can learn something. Interested on what you mean.

GAV

I still have no idea what you are talking about, so if you can please post the links so maybe I can learn something. Interested on what you mean.
Simple example-
Lots more...
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mkx goro resets

The idea is that no one wants to be standing next to or have to wake-up next to Goro because of his armor, so just end it with a simple sweep - or - use his EX throw to create a reset and wait for the scaling to reset before going back in with something else. Your Goro is awesome, but its the cleanest high level I've ever seen.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Simple example-
Lots more...
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mkx goro resets

The idea is that no one wants to be standing next to or have to wake-up next to Goro because of his armor, so just end it with a simple sweep - or - use his EX throw to create a reset and wait for the scaling to reset before going back in with something else. Your Goro is awesome, but its the cleanest high level I've ever seen.
You could of just said EX Throw reset lol.

Not real big on the EX Throw, you waste alot of damage and use an extra bar which is what makes Goro dangerous. Not a bad idea, but in my opinion Goro is more dangerous when you are knocked down due to the armor breaking potential and the U1/U2 in the corner.

Something I will add to my game.

GAV

You could of just said EX Throw reset lol.

Not real big on the EX Throw, you waste alot of damage and use an extra bar which is what makes Goro dangerous. Not a bad idea, but in my opinion Goro is more dangerous when you are knocked down due to the armor breaking potential and the U1/U2 in the corner.

Something I will add to my game.
You're giving up 12-15 for a chance at another 35-45. Plus, no one ever wants to be right next to Goro. #PurePanic

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
So, I shouldn't be shitting myself when I'm right next to him?

Just block low and react to the OH, Goro isn't as good as a threat as people impose him to be.

Yeah he has good pokes and decent normals, but Jax, Kotal, Liu, Johnny, D'Vorah and a few more have better rush down imo.

Goro only wins if you make tons of wrong reads, he will not open you up. As he really only has mids. Shit projectile (Outside of Tigrar which is still okay at best) Just grind the MU.

GAV

Just block low and react to the OH, Goro isn't as good as a threat as people impose him to be.

Yeah he has good pokes and decent normals, but Jax, Kotal, Liu, Johnny, D'Vorah and a few more have better rush down imo.

Goro only wins if you make tons of wrong reads, he will not open you up. As he really only has mids. Shit projectile (Outside of Tigrar which is still okay at best) Just grind the MU.
I know he's meter dependent, but how is he at building meter? It seems like some Goros build it faster than others? Is that where variation comes in?

Espio

Kokomo
The overhead is 15 frames and the low is 13. You can't react to that difference. Obviously Goro isn't built to be a high damage set play character though. People aren't gonna be sustaining those resets. Get your damage off your low /overhead for a bar and then guess again or what have you. You can also use 2, low stab, 2,1etc for low damage burst mix ups. You can definitely open people up, but he's not gonna be doing set play all day like Sonya or whatever. Chip and stagger pressure/regular throws is more of his focus/wheelhouse though.

Last edited:

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
The overhead is 15 frames and the low is 13. You can't react to that difference. Obviously Goro isn't built to be a high damage set play character though. People aren't gonna be sustaining those resets. Get your damage off your low /overhead for a bar and then guess again or what have you. You can also use 2, low stab, 2,1etc for low damage burst mix ups. You can definitely open people up, but he's not gonna be doing set play all day like Sonya or whatever. Chip and stagger pressure/regular throws is more of his focus/wheelhouse though.
I was talking more about the F4, for some reason I always forget about 3d3 being an OH. Probably because the first hit is a high.

But yes Espio is correct.

Also taking the OH, grants less damage for Goro.