What's new

General/Other - Alien XL Alien General Discussion Thread

Titans1373

Pew pew pew quitality
Helo mates. I didnt had the chance to play mkx for a week and hopefully I can play a bit today. Tell me pls which spec for Alien is viable ? From what i saw on youtube seems that acidic looks really interesting and big dmg combos :)
Every one of them is viable! Acidic seems like a great keep out character with nasty damage and a strong 50/50 game thanks to a string that leaves him around +20.

Tartan seems like a great defensive character with great rush down potential, tons of armor and rekka guessing games.

The one that starts with a K (not even gonna try to butcher the name lol) has great trap setups and a nasty 1link overhead low combo.

They also all have great spacing tools and good normals. You really can't go wrong.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
So after accidentally blowing up a SZ's wake-up in a match I kind of noticed something cool.

a well timed f23434 will just eat up any of the slow to medium speed wake-ups.

It's pretty situational but it could come in handy I guess, I might end up looking into what wake-ups can beaten by this and others things later.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Tarkatan isn't really "defensive", it's probably the most rush-downy rush-down variation in the game.
Tarkatan plays very defensive, unless you want to blow all your meter spamming ex Rekka as an opener you do not want to be rushing at your opponent, he is about getting in when your opponent presses buttons or tries to get at you, Alien is about space control in general, Tarkatan is just better at keeping his turn, being safe, and chipping out his opponent and pushing them towards corner, and also punishing harder.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
So it looks like Tail Flip pressure is a big thing for this character, are the only characters who can reversal punish (-7) Reptile, Lao and Cassie? Reptile doesn't get a combo out of it so that just means the risk/reward is even, Cassie and Lao on the other hand are going to require caution

TommyKing5

But the saw... the saw is family
I'm having extreme trouble anti crossup-'ing' (is that even a word?) Bo Rai Cho. I've found that standing 1 and 2 (Tarkartan) to be the best against everyone but him.

Idk if it's just me but I think Bo has the best crossup in the game.

Tried d2 but it's hurt box is a little wonky against him.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
Also, I think there is a serious problem whenever we get cornered by Cyrax with no bar. I'm still testing, but I think we have terrible options vs 212. Might be block infinite status.

Edit: I see that there was a Cyrax thread already made regarding this pseudo-block infinite. If anyone else can help test this and see if there is an escape without meter, that would be awesome.

Last edited:
Is it me or is Alien really OP? Huge reach, fast as hell and powerful. It could just be that I am still learning the game but wow.

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Not labbed yet. I just think his reach is unreal and I feel like the only way I could hurt him is with D'vorah.
He has reach yeah but that doesn't make him OP. In Tarkatan is where his reach is the most beneficial in my opinion and even then he is unsafe on pretty much everything. Yes you can make the rekkas safe,but it takes skill to actually do so and a good opponent will OS you during rekkas for full combo punish. I do think his jump 4 hitbox should be altered slightly but other than that he is fine atm. He is supposed to be played in the midrange game with far and advancing normals that doesn't make him OP. It's just scary right now because it's so new and nobody has ever seen a character quite like him in mk before. You should be more worried about leatherface honestly that guy is ridunkulous lol

He has reach yeah but that doesn't make him OP. In Tarkatan is where his reach is the most beneficial in my opinion and even then he is unsafe on pretty much everything. Yes you can make the rekkas safe,but it takes skill to actually do so and a good opponent will OS you during rekkas for full combo punish. I do think his jump 4 hitbox should be altered slightly but other than that he is fine atm. He is supposed to be played in the midrange game with far and advancing normals that doesn't make him OP. It's just scary right now because it's so new and nobody has ever seen a character quite like him in mk before. You should be more worried about leatherface honestly that guy is ridunkulous lol
I try and use a hard hitter like Jax who's my favorite carachter anuway against someone like leather face.

TommyKing5

But the saw... the saw is family
I have found that Alien has a tiny hurtbox. I was versing a very good Cyber Sub, he did f13 into ice ball, I was blocking the entire thing and the iceball went over me, even though I was blocking. It has happened to me quite often with high hitting projectiles.

On another note I was thinking of picking up either Acidic or Konjurer over Tarkatan in matchups that I could/would be zoned out (i.e, Sektor, Pretty Lady, Quan ect.). I have a pretty good Konjurer, so I'm thinking maybe that. The Ovomorph really makes the opponent scared to push buttons, but I think the start-up would be a little slow to be used as an anti-zoning tool.

I am having heaps of fun with Alien that I may even consider him a secondary. Tarkatan is the most fun I've had with a character since maining Kotal.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
How in fucks name do I felt in on a good Pretty Lady Leather face? Once he got full-screen I was getting chipped to death. I haven't played against a Leather face until then so I don't know block advantage or anything.
I really only know how to play Tarkatan well. :/

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
How in fucks name do I felt in on a good Pretty Lady Leather face? Once he got full-screen I was getting chipped to death. I haven't played against a Leather face until then so I don't know block advantage or anything.
I really only know how to play Tarkatan well. :/
lol you pray and make ballsy movement-related reads. It seems like a horrible MU honestly.