What's new

Xbox Series X, PS5 and which current gen system to upgrade:

For me, the PC is my primary platform, and I recently picked up an Xbox One X last fall to be a companion platform for it, since an Xbox One naturally has more integration with a PC than a PlayStation 4. I'm loving it, and I feel Microsoft has really turned the console around.
This is pretty interesting to me because I'm kinda the same as you, yet opposite; I have a PC and PS4 because I saw no reason to own an Xbox when I have access to XBL games through Windows. So I have a PS4 for exclusives and some fighters.

Though, if it's ever an option I tend to prefer PC versions of things, so hopefully there's a future where everything has cross play.
(I wish Nioh 2 could launch on PC...)

This is pretty interesting to me because I'm kinda the same as you, yet opposite; I have a PC and PS4 because I saw no reason to own an Xbox when I have access to XBL games through Windows. So I have a PS4 for exclusives and some fighters.
Very cool. Again, it's all personal preference. For me, while there are some Sony exclusives that I'd be interested in, it's more of a casual interest and not something I feel the need to drop hundreds of dollars on to see if I'd like them. Here's a list of the franchises I'm currently playing, in no particular order:

• StarCraft
  • Doom
  • The Elder Scrolls
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Killer Instinct
  • Halo
All of those franchises are on PC. StarCraft isn't available on any current generation console and didn't factor into my console buying decision, Doom and Mortal Kombat are multi-platform, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition is multiplatform, but The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - Game of the Year Edition is an Xbox console exclusive, and Killer Instinct and Halo are console-exclusive on Xbox One.

Killer Instinct is also part of Xbox Play Anywhere and features crossplay between PC and Xbox One, and Halo: The Master Chief collection features cross platform unlocks and level progress.

I watch a few shows via Microsoft Films & TV as well, which also is cross platform between PC and Xbox One.

So for me, it made significantly more sense to get an Xbox One X as a companion platform to my PC as opposed to a PlayStation 4 Pro.

Hmm I see. I'm sure we'll get a price soon. Hopefully at E3.
Yeah. I'm expecting late Spring to early Summer, we'll get a host of details on both next generation consoles.

For me, I don't expect to buy a new console for a few years though, unless there's a game coming out that I must have. Halo: Infinity is coming to PC and Xbox One as well, so there's no need for me to get an Xbox Series X for that. We'll see what other games get announced.

Usually, I like to wait a minimum of a year from a console's launch before buying one, just to see how it plays out, what bugs/hardware issues the system has, and what improvements/fixes have been done.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
I have all of them. I have multiple Xbox One's and PS4's (one for every room in the house). I have a spider man PS4 Pro and an Xbox One X in the living room. The multiple systems ensue that guests are properly equipped with entertainment when they visit. I also take advantage of them while playing consoles in my room.

I'm a bit glutinous (75 inch tv in living room, 70 inch in bedroom, 50 inch for all other rooms, dual consoles on all tv's).

I say if you can get them all, do so. I'm not one to be without. And this is the reason why I'm not a console fan, I'm a fan good games no matter where they are from.

portent

Noob
I have all of them. I have multiple Xbox One's and PS4's (one for every room in the house). I have a spider man PS4 Pro and an Xbox One X in the living room. The multiple systems ensue that guests are properly equipped with entertainment when they visit. I also take advantage of them while playing consoles in my room.

I'm a bit glutinous (75 inch tv in living room, 70 inch in bedroom, 50 inch for all other rooms, dual consoles on all tv's).

I say if you can get them all, do so. I'm not one to be without. And this is the reason why I'm not a console fan, I'm a fan good games no matter where they are from.
That's pretty awesome, but I definitely don't have that kind of disposable income. One system upgrade would be the max for me.

The thing is, as was the purpose of this thread, is that the PS4 Pro is the more prudent decision because, currently, the PS5 hasn't confirmed full backward compatibility to PS4, let alone PS1/2/3. That, combined with Sony's own admission that the first generation of PS5 games will likely have PS4 releases, means if I upgrade to a PS4 Pro, then I would basically use $400 to milk an additional year or so out of my PS4. It's still really only a very incremental upgrade though. Speed and power, but that's about the end of it. I actually wonder if just changing my current HDD to a SSD would help maintain the speed at a fraction of the cost.

The XB1X, however, is so far and away more powerful than the base XB1 that it makes more sense to upgrade that system. The question is, however, is it worth upgrading the system when, less than 9 months from now, the XB Series X will release, essentially replacing the 1X. Is it worth $300 for 9 months? That's essentially $33 per month to upgrade the system. Likewise, I wouldn't even trade in my base model XB1 because the amount I get back for it ($75) makes it more worthwhile to keep it as a living room media/streaming center.

So I'm still trying to decide if I should upgrade one system or the other, or even upgrade at all. There are pros and cons to all 3 decisions.

Last edited:

rainuS

Prince of Edenia
there is no reason to buy xox u can uograde in 7 months to x1sx and its fully backward compatible with xox.

Im about to sell my xox and upgrade to x1sx and still be able to play ALL xox titles and having xox and x1sx is a nonsense.

Last edited:

portent

Noob
there is no reason to buy xox u can uograde in 7 months to x1sx and its fully backward compatible with xox.
I'm aware. At the moment, I'm actually leaning toward not upgrading at all outside of a possible SSD for my PS4 just to speed it up.

The question is, however, is it work upgrading the system when, less than 9 months from now, the XB Series X will release, essentially replacing the 1X. Is it worth $300 for 9 months?
If you intend to purchase an Xbox Series X at launch, then no, I'd say it's not worth it to get an Xbox One X. If you are not going to get next-gen at launch, then it may indeed be worth it.

For now, if you're undecided and keep going back and forth, the answer is not to buy anything and save your money until you are sure.

portent

Noob
If you intend to purchase an Xbox Series X at launch, then no, I'd say it's not worth it to get an Xbox One X. If you are not going to get next-gen at launch, then it may indeed be worth it.

For now, if you're undecided and keep going back and forth, the answer is not to buy anything and save your money until you are sure.
Yeah, I mean I keep going back and forth. The truth is, I'm not going to trade my old XB1 in for a measly $75. A good blu-ray player costs $50-100, and an Amazon Fire Stick is $40, so I can keep my original XB1 as a media center and even let my kids use it. That's why I've been leaning toward not upgrading.

First, I travel for work a lot and I'm away a lot during the summers, so the odds of me getting a decent amount of game time in between now and the release of the XBSX are minor at best.

Honestly, the biggest reason I keep hemming and hawing over it is because of the price. $299 for an XB1X plus Fallen Order is just an amazing price.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
That's pretty awesome, but I definitely don't have that kind of disposable income. One system upgrade would be the max for me.

The thing is, as was the purpose of this thread, is that the PS4 Pro is the more prudent decision because, currently, the PS5 hasn't confirmed full backward compatibility to PS4, let alone PS1/2/3. That, combined with Sony's own admission that the first generation of PS5 games will likely have PS4 releases, means if I upgrade to a PS4 Pro, then I would basically use $400 to milk an additional year or so out of my PS4. It's still really only a very incremental upgrade though. Speed and power, but that's about the end of it. I actually wonder if just changing my current HDD to a SSD would help maintain the speed at a fraction of the cost.

The XB1X, however, is so far and away more powerful than the base XB1 that it makes more sense to upgrade that system. The question is, however, is it worth upgrading the system when, less than 9 months from now, the XB Series X will release, essentially replacing the 1X. Is it worth $300 for 9 months? That's essentially $33 per month to upgrade the system. Likewise, I wouldn't even trade in my base model XB1 because the amount I get back for it ($75) makes it more worthwhile to keep it as a living room media/streaming center.

So I'm still trying to decide if I should upgrade one system or the other, or even upgrade at all. There are pros and cons to all 3 decisions.

I'll say this: it is known that the XSX will play everything the current Xbox One family plays. Buying the upcoming XSX is a no brainer for me due to that fact. I literally have hundreds of games all ready waiting for my new Xbox. The Xbox One X was a really good buy for me 2 years ago. The upgraded visuals made a huge difference. I had a ton of Xbox Games before getting the X so the upgrade made sense. Many of those games updated with graphical enhancements which was awesome.

For you, I think the PS4 Pro might be the right fit. But i will warn you:

Not many games seem to have as much of an improvement like the Xbox One X does. They still look great, but not Xbox One X great. In fact, there seem to be more Xbox One X enhanced games than PS4 Pro Enhanced. I noticed very little change with Spider Man and Horizon Zero Dawn which was disappointing. On last cool feature for the Xbox is it even enhances old Xbox original games and 360 games by letting them run at their full potential.

My reason for the Pro choice:

You more than likely have a larger library of games on your PS4. There is however, a really good deal on the Xbox One X right now for $299.00 which is 100.00 less than the PS4 Pro right now. But, that's my 2 cents.

portent

Noob
Not many games seem to have as much of an improvement like the Xbox One X does. They still look great, but not Xbox One X great. In fact, there seem to be more Xbox One X enhanced games than PS4 Pro Enhanced. I noticed very little change with Spider Man and Horizon Zero Dawn which was disappointing. On last cool feature for the Xbox is it even enhances old Xbox original games and 360 games by letting them run at their full potential.

My reason for the Pro choice:

You more than likely have a larger library of games on your PS4. There is however, a really good deal on the Xbox One X right now for $299.00 which is 100.00 less than the PS4 Pro right now. But, that's my 2 cents.
Thanks for the input. That is exactly what I've been thinking, and because of that, I'm likely not even going to upgrade. The $300 price tag on the 1X with Fallen Order is an absolute steal, but with the Series X so close and my time so limited, it's best for me to just save my money and not upgrade at all. When the systems come out, I'll have put away enough to buy the Series X and with the money saved from not upgrading now, that's $300 toward the PS5 as well.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11

Cool, do you have a Switch too? Speaking of I hear they're near to impossible for find now for some reason, I get why we're all in but it broke a record in Japan the other day. I hear you can find Switch lites but not so much the regular one. And of course scalpers are milking as much as they can get online.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Cool, do you have a Switch too? Speaking of I hear they're near to impossible for find now for some reason, I get why we're all in but it broke a record in Japan the other day. I hear you can find Switch lites but not so much the regular one. And of course scalpers are milking as much as they can get online.
Indeed, i have 2 Switch consoles. I gave one to my son, who at first was not interested in it. Now he can't put it down. Yeah, I heard about the shortages and that's unfortunate. People suck when it comes to shortages. Price gouging and whatnot. Just look at all the stuff going on due to the coronavirus.

MKF30

Indeed, i have 2 Switch consoles. I gave one to my son, who at first was not interested in it. Now he can't put it down. Yeah, I heard about the shortages and that's unfortunate. People suck when it comes to shortages. Price gouging and whatnot. Just look at all the stuff going on due to the coronavirus.
I know man, it's amazing what people will price gouge now days literally anything it seems. I know it's horrible. Few weeks back a store got in trouble for trying to sell an 8 ounce hand sanitizer purell for $100 bucks....

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
I know man, it's amazing what people will price gouge now days literally anything it seems. I know it's horrible. Few weeks back a store got in trouble for trying to sell an 8 ounce hand sanitizer purell for $100 bucks....
Good Lord! I've seen stuff on amazon such as pancake mix that normally sells for around 6.00 for a 5 pound bag go for $45.00. It's insane. Now I'm wondering how all this will affect the PS5/XSX? There will no doubt be shortages due to what's going on.

Good Lord! I've seen stuff on amazon such as pancake mix that normally sells for around 6.00 for a 5 pound bag go for $45.00. It's insane. Now I'm wondering how all this will affect the PS5/XSX? There will no doubt be shortages due to what's going on.
I'm more interested to see if the next generation consoles will be delayed overall.

MKF30

Yeah dude who knows, isn't one of them supposed to come out at the end of the year?

@Juxtapose if I'm any of the big three with anything new coming out I would push it back at least 6 months to a year, as much as it sucks I think I'd rather do that and release it when things are back to normal or close to it at least than now.

Yeah dude who knows, isn't one of them supposed to come out at the end of the year?

@Juxtapose if I'm any of the big three with anything new coming out I would push it back at least 6 months to a year, as much as it sucks I think I'd rather do that and release it when things are back to normal or close to it at least than now.
The Xbox Series X is supposed to launch this holiday, but of course, we'll see.

With what's going to happen to the gloabl economy overall, a delay might be prudent to allow people to build up some more cash.

We'll see!

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
Nobody in their right mind would get an Xbox over Playstation, PS5 exclusives will blow everything Xbox has out of the water.