What's new

Xbox Series X, PS5 and which current gen system to upgrade:

portent

Noob
Ok, so as the year goes on, the closer we get to the "Holiday 2020" release timeframe of both next gen systems in the XSX and PS5.

That said, I have never upgraded either of my current gen systems and there are some pretty good deals right now.

Currently, I have a Day One Xbox One, the base model and the least powerful of the entire series. The XB1X is currently on sale at Gamestop for $300 with Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order included as well as a free wired pad. Pretty damn good deal. I am an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscriber which bundles in Game Pass and XB Live Gold/Games with Gold.

I also have a base model PS4. The PS4 pro is also on sale at Gamestop, for $400, no extras. I am a PS Plus subscriber, but not PS Now.

As a FG player, I went with the PS4 as my primary system and didn't really play my XB1 that much. I have tons of games for both, but life gets in the way and I haven't played all that much outside FG's. I have recently finished the amazing Jedi Fallen Order. Seriously, if you haven't played it, play it.

Ok, on to the thought process:

I'm currently leaning toward upgrading to a PS4 Pro over the XB1X. I think this is a more prudent decision.

-The PS5, we know for sure, will be backward compatible with PS4 titles.

-Unless there is a killer app that I ABSOLUTELY NEED on PS5, what reason is there to get it when the first generation of games will be made for both PS4 and PS5? I used this same logic with XB1 vs PS4 and it actually backfired. I got XB1 for Killer Instinct and Gears 4 and I have barely played either game. The PS4, however, I got nearly 2 years later and for MKX.

-XBSX will be backward compatible with all 3 previous generations of systems from XB Classic to XB1, as well as XBSX games.

-Microsoft is rolling out "Smart Delivery", effectively meaning that if I buy a XB1 game and then it comes out on XBSX, I own the XBSX version as well. Likewise, if I buy the XBSX version, but only have access to an XB1, I own that version as well.

-Microsoft is supposedly making all XB1 peripherals compatible with XBSX, so no need to constantly dump money into pads/sticks since they will supposedly work natively with the system.

So here's my dilemma. I have 2 kids, and I travel for work a lot. I also have a gaming laptop which is awesome with Steam and Gamepass Ultimate. If I upgrade the PS4 to the Pro, my kids will inherit my original PS4. Same for the Xbox one if I get the One X.

Since I have no direct access to my PS4 on the go, I use remote play on my vita and gaming laptop a fair amount. Microsoft has no similar option currently.

If I upgrade the PS4 to the Pro, then allow my kids access to my games on my PS4, I have to gameshare. This disables remote play because you can only remote play to your "primary" system. The way gamesharing works is by allowing your secondary system to be designated as your primary system so that anyone playing gets the benefits of access to your PS+ account and the games and DLC.

If I upgrade to the Xbox One X, anyone on my home system has access, at anytime, to the games on my live account. Since the One X has no remote play, I don't need to worry about losing anything by gamesharing the games and the XBL Gold.

Currently I just feel like I'm getting so much more out of the XBSX when I buy it than I will when I buy the PS5. The PS5, at the moment feels like power upgrade to the PS4 as well as backward compatibility, whereas the XBSX feels like I'm getting a lot more.

Lastly, the upgrade will be at zero out of pocket cost to me. I've recently sold off some personal belongings to fund this upgrade. Knowing that I have $400 to get either one for the upgrade, which one do I go with?

Lastly, do I say "screw it" and just not bother to upgrade at all?

Last edited:
Honestly, this is completely up to you and your own preferences. Both Sony and Microsoft through their histories have done great things for their consumers, and screwed their consumers over.

We have no actual info on the PlayStation 5 that I'm aware of, only speculation and "leaks." Microsoft, on the other hand, seems to really be getting their act together and offering a product that is in touch with their customer base this time (unlike the Xbox One at launch, which was, in my opinion, a mess). Of course, since both platforms are a while away, who can say.

Unless you need a next gen console right at launch, or a game you have to have right now, I'd recommend waiting on them for about a year to see how things pan out. And by that I mean a year from their launch, not a year from this typing.

For me, the PC is my primary platform, and I recently picked up an Xbox One X last fall to be a companion platform for it, since an Xbox One naturally has more integration with a PC than a PlayStation 4. I'm loving it, and I feel Microsoft has really turned the console around.

For the FGC though, the PlayStation is considered the tournament standard, but if you're not competing in tournaments...

Again, it's really up to you.

Edit: I also want to add that Killer Instinct is fantastic. I highly recommend you give it another shot.

Personally I am getting x1sx Cause Halo...And the ps controllers are WAY to small for me lol
Pereference m8
what games do you like?
The cool thing too is, you can buy Halo: Infinity for your Xbox One, and wait to see how the Xbox Series X pans out or for a price drop. When you get it, bam, you get the Xbox Series X version at no extra cost!

I'm also really hoping they announce a Killer Instinct 4 in the next year or so.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
The cool thing too is, you can buy Halo: Infinity for your Xbox One, and wait to see how the Xbox Series X pans out or for a price drop. When you get it, bam, you get the Xbox Series X version at no extra cost!

I'm also really hoping they announce a Killer Instinct 4 in the next year or so.
Ki is as Likely another Lego Bionicle Reboot:"'(
(0.0000099%)
LUCKILY, Gamestop usually gives deals like "sell xbox 360 get Xone' half off!

portent

Noob
Honestly, this is completely up to you and your own preferences. Both Sony and Microsoft through their histories have done great things for their consumers, and screwed their consumers over.

We have no actual info on the PlayStation 5 that I'm aware of, only speculation and "leaks." Microsoft, on the other hand, seems to really be getting their act together and offering a product that is in touch with their customer base this time (unlike the Xbox One at launch, which was, in my opinion, a mess). Of course, since both platforms are a while away, who can say.

Unless you need a next gen console right at launch, or a game you have to have right now, I'd recommend waiting on them for about a year to see how things pan out. And by that I mean a year from their launch, not a year from this typing.

For me, the PC is my primary platform, and I recently picked up an Xbox One X last fall to be a companion platform for it, since an Xbox One naturally has more integration with a PC than a PlayStation 4. I'm loving it, and I feel Microsoft has really turned the console around.

For the FGC though, the PlayStation is considered the tournament standard, but if you're not competing in tournaments...

Again, it's really up to you.

Edit: I also want to add that Killer Instinct is fantastic. I highly recommend you give it another shot.
I love KI, but life just gets in the way, so I just haven't had the time. Being that we're on a NRS site, I obviously put my time into MK and Injustice as priority for FG's. I still have KI installed on my XB1 and my PC though.

Personally I am getting x1sx Cause Halo...And the ps controllers are WAY to small for me lol
Pereference m8
what games do you like?
Obviously FG's. I'm hoping that the next generation of FG's gets us to full console crossover play so we don't have to worry about what system we actually buy other than for the exclusives. In terms of games outside of fighters, I really like soulsborne style games, Diablo, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Gears and Metroidvania. Not a huge FPS fan though.

666 I HazeOner

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
There are a bunch of backwards compatible X360 and XBOX that you can play on the X and it is the most powerful of the two.
I own both and both have their pro's and cons, if I was you I would buy a PC anyway. You can spend a little more and have a decent rig that plays all games at 60fps or more at a resolution of 1080p or higher. Most X and pro games are still 30fps and that bothers me a lot, lol.

portent

Noob
@Juxtapose I also should mention that I'm really liking the idea that the XBSX will have full generational backward compatibility. Almost all my games are digital, and I have XB Gamepass Ultimate as well as a pretty beefy gaming laptop (for this generation). The XB1 and laptop with gamepass ultimate are a perfect combination and had I not wanted PS4 exclusives, I would have likely not gotten it at all.

That said, due to the exclusives and being the standard for fighting games, as well as the base model being more powerful than the XB1 base model, I got it and have put far more time and money into it than my XB1.

I have not attended a tournament in many many years, I just like to play on the tournament standard, that's all.

That leads to its own question as well, which will be the new standard?

portent

Noob
There are a bunch of backwards compatible X360 and XBOX that you can play on the X and it is the most powerful of the two.
I own both and both have their pro's and cons, if I was you I would buy a PC anyway. You can spend a little more and have a decent rig that plays all games at 60fps or more at a resolution of 1080p or higher. Most X and pro games are still 30fps and that bothers me a lot, lol.
As I said, I have a pretty good gaming laptop for this generation.

I love KI, but life just gets in the way, so I just haven't had the time. Being that we're on a NRS site, I obviously put my time into MK and Injustice as priority for FG's. I still have KI installed on my XB1 and my PC though.
Yeah, that I know all to well. I've also had to really choose what games to play and focus on, and I've missed stuff as a result. But that's life.

For me, for fighting games, I only play the Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct franchises.

@Juxtapose I also should mention that I'm really liking the idea that the XBSX will have full generational backward compatibility. Almost all my games are digital, and I have XB Gamepass Ultimate as well as a pretty beefy gaming laptop (for this generation). The XB1 and laptop with gamepass ultimate are a perfect combination and had I not wanted PS4 exclusives, I would have likely not gotten it at all.

That said, due to the exclusives and being the standard for fighting games, as well as the base model being more powerful than the XB1 base model, I got it and have put far more time and money into it than my XB1.

I have not attended a tournament in many many years, I just like to play on the tournament standard, that's all.

That leads to its own question as well, which will be the new standard?
Indeed. It really does seem like Microsoft has gotten back on track as what they're showing for Xbox Series X is in complete contrast to the Xbox One launch.

With the Xbox One, it was no backwards compatibility, they openly stated they designed the console to be less powerful and they were focusing on media in general as opposed to gaming first, and the console was (in my opinion) ugly and forced you to get Kinect. It was such a mess, and I think the leadership of Mattick was the cause. They've been turning around since Spencer took the lead. 2016-2017 is when I think the Xbox platform became good again.

And that's also a good question, it will be interesting to see if Sony's consoles continue to be the tournament standard this coming generation. If they weren't more expensive (for the base hardware at least), I'd think the PC would be the better choice since it seems to have almost all the games I see at tournaments.

portent

Noob
Please stop wasting your money and get a PC. It'll be worth it in the long run.
As a response to this, I will quote myself:
As I said, I have a pretty good gaming laptop for this generation.

That said, buying a console is never a waste of money. While I'm also part of the "PC Master Race", I also have every old generation and next generation console as I'm a collector.

Likewise, never forget that consoles are specialized machines uniquely tuned to do what they do in the most efficient and best way possible. Consoles are $500 at best, and the gaming PC's are in the thousands of dollars. Hell, one of the best, if not THE best video card on the market is the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and costs $1200 by itself, nevermind the cost of any other components of your pc, and that's if you build it yourself. Let alone that most gaming PC's are inefficient, outdated and obsolete within about 5 years unless you want to drop hundreds (or another thousand) more dollars to keep it up to date, then cost alone makes gaming on PC FAR from cost effective.

There are far more hoops to jump through to get the same games on PC to run efficiently, let alone windows upgrades, drivers, video card drivers, etc. all that can potentially break one game or another at any given point rendering your game either inferior or unplayable altogether. There's a reason why this thread (sorry @Juxtapose LOL) exists:

http://testyourmight.com/threads/pc-steam-version-performance-technical-and-general-discussion-thread.69134/

Not to mention that there are various PC versions of games that are ported improperly or are just inferior to the console versions in general. (I'm looking at You, MK9, Injustice 1, and MKX)

So to say I'm wasting my money because I want to have an easy way to plug in a power cord and an HDMI and have a game boot up, without issue, every time and run as intended is a pretty outrageous claim.

Last edited:
Likewise, never forget that consoles are specialized machines uniquely tuned to do what they do in the most efficient and best way possible. Consoles are $500 at best, and the gaming PC's are in the thousands of dollars. Hell, one of the best, if not THE best video card on the market is the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and costs $1200 by itself, nevermind the cost of any other components of your pc, and that's if you build it yourself. Let alone that most gaming PC's are inefficient, outdated and obsolete within about 5 years unless you want to drop hundreds (or another thousand) more dollars to keep it up to date, then cost alone makes gaming on PC FAR from cost effective.

There are far more hoops to jump through to get the same games on PC to run efficiently, let alone windows upgrades, drivers, video card drivers, etc. all that can potentially break one game or another at any given point rendering your game either inferior or unplayable altogether. There's a reason why this thread (sorry @Juxtapose LOL) exists:

http://testyourmight.com/threads/pc-steam-version-performance-technical-and-general-discussion-thread.69134/
No need to apologize to me at all. I'm not a platform elitist. Though I'm primarily a PC gamer, I have no issues with consoles and believe people should game on their platform of choice; I own an Xbox One X myself, as I mentioned.

We're talking about video games, a hobby and form of entertainment, not something life-or-death-earth-shattering.

Having said that, I do want to clarify some misinformation above, as I see this type of thing all too common:

- An excellent gaming PC is not thousands of dollars. If you want to build a top of the line system (like a system using an RTX card), then yes, you'll pay through the nose. If you want an excellent system that can play modern games on recommended settings with smooth framerates, you're looking at roughly a grand (Canadian), give or take depending on the bells and whistles you want.

- Most consoles show their age around the three to four year mark because they aren't upgradable like a PC, but are still fully supported because they're a platform and a device with a life cycle. Interestingly we saw upgraded versions of each console released this generation to try and keep up with better frame rates, resolution, and texture quality that the base consoles were lacking.

- I've had my current gaming PC since April 2014. Last March, I upgraded the video card and Ram (the ram was an indulgence and not necessary) for Mortal Kombat 11. That cost me about the same as my Xbox One X which I bought this past September. PC gaming also doesn't have a premium subscription service to play Multiplayer. Factor in that $60.00/year fee, or whatever it is now, and that adds up over the life of the console to actual drive it's cost up more than people realize.

- It's also not uncommon for games on PC to be around $10.00 cheaper at launch, and to decrease in cost and have sales far faster and more often than on consoles, and that's not even taking key reseller sites into account with their rock bottom prices. The cost disparity often stated between PC and console is no where near the gap that people make it out to be.

- In terms of hoops, there actually aren't. Games on PC are easy to install just like on console. GeForce Experience will often optimize the settings for you, making most games install and play, just like on console. My senior citizen father, who needs me to remote in to his system to help him adjust simple settings in Excel, can install, configure, and play games from Steam/Origin, etc. without any frustration what-so-ever.

- Driver and Windows 10 Updates are also automated and super simple today. In fact, formatting and clean installing your PC takes about an hour (a little more) outside of re-installing games, it's so simple, and doing a format is rarely required.

- I've found it very rare that games play better on console than PC. Usually, in truth, it's the same or better on PC. The exception I've seen is usually the fighting game genre.

Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment contracted a lesser developer (High Voltage Software) to port their games until midway through Mortal Kombat X, and there were always issues and problems. They brought in a better developer (QLOC) to clean things up, and Mortal Kombat XL on PC is fantastic. I never played, but heard good things, about the PC port of Injustice 2, and Mortal Kombat 11 was an excellent launch.

Issues were introduced with a patch in May and it did take a few months to clean up, I can't say why, but the game's been working excellently since the summer. The crash issues more recently mentioned in that thread seemed to have been an issue specifically with nVidia drivers that were fixed.

A problem here is WBIE Support, whom I've dealt with myself, don't seem the best at communicating things reported to the developer doing the PC version.

Interestingly, I bought Mortal Kombat XL for my Xbox One X this past holiday, and for some reason it usually takes several tries for the game to boot! This not a port, but a first party, NetherRealm Studios developed version of the game!

Anyway, I just wanted to clear some things up. PC gaming is not the insanely expensive, overly complicated monster people often make it out to be.

At the end of the day though, play the games you want on the platform(s) you want.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
No need to apologize to me at all. I'm not a platform elitist. Though I'm primarily a PC gamer, I have no issues with consoles and believe people should game on their platform of choice; I own an Xbox One X myself, as I mentioned.

We're talking about video games, a hobby and form of entertainment, not something life-or-death-earth-shattering.

Having said that, I do want to clarify some misinformation above, as I see this type of thing all too common:

- An excellent gaming PC is not thousands of dollars. If you want to build a top of the line system (like a system using an RTX card), then yes, you'll pay through the nose. If you want an excellent system that can play modern games on recommended settings with smooth framerates, you're looking at roughly a grand (Canadian), give or take depending on the bells and whistles you want.

- Most consoles show their age around the three to four year mark because they aren't upgradable like a PC, but are still fully supported because they're a platform and a device with a life cycle. Interestingly we saw upgraded versions of each console released this generation to try and keep up with better frame rates, resolution, and texture quality that the base consoles were lacking.

- I've had my current gaming PC since April 2014. Last March, I upgraded the video card and Ram (the ram was an indulgence and not necessary) for Mortal Kombat 11. That cost me about the same as my Xbox One X which I bought this past September. PC gaming also doesn't have a premium subscription service to play Multiplayer. Factor in that $60.00/year fee, or whatever it is now, and that adds up over the life of the console to actual drive it's cost up more than people realize.

- It's also not uncommon for games on PC to be around $10.00 cheaper at launch, and to decrease in cost and have sales far faster and more often than on consoles, and that's not even taking key reseller sites into account with their rock bottom prices. The cost disparity often stated between PC and console is no where near the gap that people make it out to be.

- In terms of hoops, there actually aren't. Games on PC are easy to install just like on console. GeForce Experience will often optimize the settings for you, making most games install and play, just like on console. My senior citizen father, who needs me to remote in to his system to help him adjust simple settings in Excel, can install, configure, and play games from Steam/Origin, etc. without any frustration what-so-ever.

- Driver and Windows 10 Updates are also automated and super simple today. In fact, formatting and clean installing your PC takes about an hour (a little more) outside of re-installing games, it's so simple, and doing a format is rarely required.

- I've found it very rare that games play better on console than PC. Usually, in truth, it's the same or better on PC. The exception I've seen is usually the fighting game genre.

Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment contracted a lesser developer (High Voltage Software) to port their games until midway through Mortal Kombat X, and there were always issues and problems. They brought in a better developer (QLOC) to clean things up, and Mortal Kombat XL on PC is fantastic. I never played, but heard good things, about the PC port of Injustice 2, and Mortal Kombat 11 was an excellent launch.

Issues were introduced with a patch in May and it did take a few months to clean up, I can't say why, but the game's been working excellently since the summer. The crash issues more recently mentioned in that thread seemed to have been an issue specifically with nVidia drivers that were fixed.

A problem here is WBIE Support, whom I've dealt with myself, don't seem the best at communicating things reported to the developer doing the PC version.

Interestingly, I bought Mortal Kombat XL for my Xbox One X this past holiday, and for some reason it usually takes several tries for the game to boot! This not a port, but a first party, NetherRealm Studios developed version of the game!

Anyway, I just wanted to clear some things up. PC gaming is not the insanely expensive, overly complicated monster people often make it out to be.

At the end of the day though, play the games you want on the platform(s) you want.
the fact that people look down on others when they don't like what they like is sad. makes me glad when they get hurt lmao.
soon people will realize Lady karma is a real Btch

portent

Noob

I appreciate what you've posted, but as much as I may have overcomplicated stuff, you have definitely over-simplified.

The truth, honestly, lies somewhere in the middle.

Remember, we're unique as we both have good gaming PC's and consoles, so we can speak honestly from both points of view.

You're right that there have been incremental upgrades to consoles to keep up, however, the base models still work just fine. Even then, if I want to buy a laptop or PC for gaming as a primary purpose, why would I buy anything that will run the current recommended for games as opposed to having some foresight and buying/building my pc for the end of life of that generation?

The big difference is that I can take my underpowered console and trade it in toward the upgraded model, and in many cases, get as much as 40% off for that trade in. That makes the XB1X $250 for a system that will run end of life generation games, bringing my total to $750 maximum over an 8-10 year span just for the consoles. $75 a year. Likewise, don't forget that Gamepass ultimate (and anyone who has an XB1 and PC is a fool not to have this) is $15 a month/$180 a year and provides 4 free games per month plus access to all first party released games the night/day of release and over 300+ games on the system just for the price of entry. You actually don't need to buy anything other than gamepass to have over 300+ games.

You CAN part out your system and sell components, but then you have to take the time to shop them, ship them, buy new parts, install, reinstall software, etc. Time is money. You can't NOT count that towards total price and total complication.

Like you said, it's all entertainment and preference, but as I said, the truth about how easy/complicated PC gaming is, is somewhere in between what we both posted. Price wise, however, you cannot compare them if you're looking for top of the line. Even "recommended" settings will set you back $1k+ if you build it yourself, which is still $250 more than the cost of buying a $500 console and upgrading for $250 to the more powerful model later in life provided you trade the system in.

Last edited:
the fact that people look down on others when they don't like what they like is sad.
That's something I find has increased with the rise of social media. There's always been a "console war," and platform war of PC versus console, but really, it's silly.

Letting one company be dominate usually leads to that company being arrogant and screwing their customer base because they can. You want there to always be healthy competition for a better market!

For people crapping on a platform, I find it's usually they're simply trying to further justify their own purchase and why they, themselves are "better" and "smarter," and it's usually an arrogance/self esteem thing.

Again, this is video games, not rocket science. The only person who really cares that you play at all, let alone what you play on, is you.

I appreciate what you've posted, but as much as I may have overcomplicated stuff, you have definitely over-simplified.

The truth, honestly, lies somewhere in the middle.

Remember, we're unique as we both have good gaming PC's and consoles, so we can speak honestly from both points of view.

You're right that there have been incremental upgrades to consoles to keep up, however, the base models still work just fine. Even then, if I want to buy a laptop or PC for gaming as a primary purpose, why would I buy anything that will run the current recommended for games as opposed to having some foresight and buying/building my pc for the end of life of that generation?

The big difference is that I can take my underpowered console and trade it in toward the upgraded model, and in many cases, get as much as 40% off for that trade in. That makes the XB1X $250 for a system that will run end of life generation games, bringing my total to $750 maximum over an 8-10 year span just for the consoles. $75 a year. Likewise, don't forget that Gamepass ultimate (and anyone who has an XB1 and PC is a fool not to have this) is $15 a month/$180 a year and provides 4 free games per month plus access to all first party released games the night/day of release and over 300+ games on the system just for the price of entry. You actually don't need to buy anything other than gamepass to have over 300+ games.

You CAN part out your system and sell components, but then you have to take the time to shop, them, ship them, buy new parts, install, reinstall software, etc. Time is money. You can't NOT count that towards total price and total complication.

Like you said, it's all entertainment and preference, but as I said, the truth about how easy/complicated PC gaming is, is somewhere in between what we both posted. Price wise, however, you cannot compare them if you're looking for top of the line. Even "recommended" settings will set you back $1k+ if you build it yourself, which is still $250 more than the cost of buying a $500 console and upgrading for $250 to the more powerful model later in life provided you trade the system in.
Personally I don't believe I have, as I'm truly stating my experience.

The base model of a console absolutely works just fine, as I mention it's a product and has a supported life cycle, but that comes at the cost of texture quality, draw distance, load times, and other bells and whistles. The PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X were released as means of changing this for the first time in console history.

Gaming laptops are more expensive than desktop computers, and desktop computers are usually more stable and have better performance than their laptop counterparts. There have been parity strides there made in recent years though.

I've been buying parts and having gaming systems built for me for about twenty five years now, and I've never, ever gone top of the line. I usually go middle of the road, to upper end, but never top because it's simply not needed and you're paying premium cost for a bang that's usually not even fully supported by developers yet. Typically, I need to start upgrading hardware between the three to five year mark, and it's usually just ram at first. Later on, perhaps a video card or processor. Sometimes I wait long enough and then simply buy a new system.

For trade-ins, yes I suppose you can, but here at least, you can pretty much only do that at used game shops, pawn shops, or EB Games (GameStop). EB Games here is slime, and they're the used car salesmen of games. Deal with them at your own risk and expect to get rooked on cost, and to buy "new" products that aren't at full price. Personally, I will never, ever buy a console or game from EB Games.

I had GamePass Ultimate as well, and I think it's a great service if you play a lot of multiplayer and have the time to binge a lot of games. I personally do not, and thus found the service far overpriced for it's worth. I find GamePass is good to have for a month to try a few games, then buy the few you want and that'll keep you busy for months at better cost. I personally don't play Online on my console as I'm an older gamer and don't like the concept of paying for Multiplayer, and I find Games with Gold to usually offer subpar titles, with only the occasional gem. You also loose the Xbox One games if you no longer subscribe to their service.

In terms of top-of-the-line, keep in mind a top PC is leaps and bounds beyond an Xbox One X, the most powerful console on the market. Having said that, as I mentioned above, I believe going top of the line on a PC is needless.

Again, it is just games. Play and enjoy what you want on the platform you want. Just have fun!

portent

Noob
Personally I don't believe I have, as I'm truly stating my experience.

The base model of a console absolutely works just fine, as I mention it's a product and has a supported life cycle, but that comes at the cost of texture quality, draw distance, load times, and other bells and whistles. The PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X were released as means of changing this for the first time in console history.

Gaming laptops are more expensive than desktop computers, and desktop computers are usually more stable and have better performance than their laptop counterparts. There have been parity strides there made in recent years though.

I've been buying parts and having gaming systems built for me for about twenty five years now, and I've never, ever gone top of the line. I usually go middle of the road, to upper end, but never top because it's simply not needed and you're paying premium cost for a bang that's usually not even fully supported by developers yet. Typically, I need to start upgrading hardware between the three to five year mark, and it's usually just ram at first. Later on, perhaps a video card or processor. Sometimes I wait long enough and then simply buy a new system.

For trade-ins, yes I suppose you can, but here at least, you can pretty much only do that at used game shops, pawn shops, or EB Games (GameStop). EB Games here is slime, and they're the used car salesmen of games. Deal with them at your own risk and expect to get rooked on cost, and to buy "new" products that aren't at full price. Personally, I will never, ever buy a console or game from EB Games.

I had GamePass Ultimate as well, and I think it's a great service if you play a lot of multiplayer and have the time to binge a lot of games. I personally do not, and thus found the service far overpriced for it's worth. I find GamePass is good to have for a month to try a few games, then buy the few you want and that'll keep you busy for months at better cost. I personally don't play Online on my console as I'm an older gamer and don't like the concept of paying for Multiplayer, and I find Games with Gold to usually offer subpar titles, with only the occasional gem. You also loose the Xbox One games if you no longer subscribe to their service.

In terms of top-of-the-line, keep in mind a top PC is leaps and bounds beyond an Xbox One X, the most powerful console on the market. Having said that, as I mentioned above, I believe going top of the line on a PC is needless.

Again, it is just games. Play and enjoy what you want on the platform you want. Just have fun!

Again, I agree, it's all about the games and fun.

In terms of GP Ultimate, I find it to be excellent. If you were to buy one game a month (which I consider an avid gamer) at full price, that's $50-60 per month for a year. $600/year minimum. With GP Ultimate, you're getting AAA Titles almost immediately, months in which to play them, and at a fraction of the cost for $180 per year. Plus, as a bonus, if you have a gaming PC, you have access to many titles on your pc. IMO, def worth the price of entry. I haven't purchased a new game for my XB1 at full price since I purchased the system.

Likewise, many of the Games with gold games are duds, but the ones that are good are REALLY good. Same goes for PS+ free games. This month, however, looks like both systems will have decent games. Shantae 1/2 genie hero on XB and Sonic Forces on PS4.

In terms of GP Ultimate, I find it to be excellent. If you were to buy one game a month (which I consider an avid gamer) at full price, that's $50-60 per month for a year. $600/year minimum. With GP Ultimate, you're getting AAA Titles almost immediately, months in which to play them, and at a fraction of the cost for $180 per year. Plus, as a bonus, if you have a gaming PC, you have access to many titles on your pc. IMO, def worth the price of entry. I haven't purchased a new game for my XB1 at full price since I purchased the system.
Very cool. Definitely the value is in the eye of the beholder. Again, I think Game Pass Ultimate is an excellent service, but for me personally, I don't play/buy enough games to get that value.

For me, I usually buy only a few games a year, and I spend several months (or years) enjoying a single game. So for how I play, the cost didn't make sense, but buying some games with that Game Pass discount did!