What's new

XBOne and PS4 Hardware "Essentially the Same"

webreg

Noob
Okay so you have said "it's nice to see it verified by an expert" - Nothing has been verified by anyone. He clearly states (see the link in op) that "I haven't done really rigorous benchmarking". So no tests have been done from which he can base his comments.
John Carmack "normal benchmarking" is more than good enough because his "rigorous benchmarking" would be something that maybe ten people on this world could even understand. Your further post delves into exactly that kind of theorycraft that has only very limited value since it has nothing to to with the consoles themselves which can still change some specs around (although unlikely). In any case such differences are not relevant in the market and the day to day programming in the industry. The games will simply be programmed and optimized to the lowest common denominator. The weaker box will be the target spec for all next gen games.

The PS3 would have been theoretically (and practically) stronger than the 360 but almost every multi-plattform game ran worse and looked weaker on it. This had obviously to do with the unique architecture of the PS3 and the incredible bad documentation (in japanese) which made it a hassle to optimize the games for the platform but even without those peripheral problems the games would still never have looked better on the PS3 because it would have been a wasted effort anyway. And we are not even speaking about the political entanglements between companies here which are sometimes an even larger factor.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
To everyone thinking that microsoft wanna spy on us and steal your money, you are all very ignorant to say the least, cause what the goverment and other big industries does with your money is 100x worse but you don't realise it.
Why you think cars still run on oil just to give one example.

Shawi

Noob
John Carmack "normal benchmarking" is more than good enough because his "rigorous benchmarking" would be something that maybe ten people on this world could even understand.
I think there are a lot more than 10 people in the world who can do "rigorous benchmarking". Also Carmack may have very good experience and be a very good developer but he now sits in a much hotter seat than the technical one. Do you think Ed Boon would sit there carrying out benchmarking? No, he'd assign it to someone else because he's running the clocks.

In any case such differences are not relevant in the market and the day to day programming in the industry. The games will simply be programmed and optimized to the lowest common denominator. The weaker box will be the target spec for all next gen games.
These differences are VERY relevant. They demonstrate how much of a difference the difference in GPU computer power can have on real world performance. Yes, your statement is SO correct it is un-real, the games will be optimised to the lowest spec'd platform. It is however, exactly that which limited the PS3 so much. It was a good half a decade ahead of the 360 at launch but developers couldn't do anything about that and the PS3 games took a hit BUT not MGS4, Uncharted etc. Wow those games are beautiful and showed how much of a better console the PS3 really was. The way I see it, Microsoft are in it for the money, which is not to say that Sony are not, but Sony are the pioneers that are actually pushing the industry forward with Microsoft holding them back.

The PS3 would have been theoretically (and practically) stronger than the 360 but almost every multi-plattform game ran worse and looked weaker on it. This had obviously to do with the unique architecture of the PS3 and the incredible bad documentation (in japanese) which made it a hassle to optimize the games for the platform but even without those peripheral problems the games would still never have looked better on the PS3 because it would have been a wasted effort anyway. And we are not even speaking about the political entanglements between companies here which are sometimes an even larger factor.
Dunno where this information, and all these claims come from tbh - first I've heard of it. "Almost every multi-platform game" "incredible bad documentation" "hassle to optimise games""would still never have looked better on the PS3".
Where are your Sourcessssss my friend???? I wanna learnn moreeee.

Shawi

Noob
To everyone thinking that microsoft wanna spy on us and steal your money, you are all very ignorant to say the least, cause what the goverment and other big industries does with your money is 100x worse but you don't realise it.
Why do cars still run on oil? and what else can they run on which is just as efficient, delivers the same power and is as convenient?

P.S. Why do I HAVE TO have Kinect plugged in for the console to work. Why? Just WHY?!

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Just make good games that aren't shallow as fuck and I don't care if they look like stick figures.

Make more The Last Of Us, Uncharted, Metal Gear types of games.

Depth, character, good graphics.

Shawi

Noob
Oh dear...
Lol, genuinely please enlighten me. I know you can run diesel cars on cooking oil, which is cheap and hella good but other than that, electric is not powerful, takes so long to re-charge, does not have a long driving range, and the battery dies after time. Then you have natural gas which is practically the same as oil (correct me if I'm mistaken) - Oh and its deffo best to move this to a PM chat as it is very off topic.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
Why do cars still run on oil? and what else can they run on which is just as efficient, delivers the same power and is as convenient?

P.S. Why do I HAVE TO have Kinect plugged in for the console to work. Why? Just WHY?!
Well they can run on the hopes and dreams of the future ...conspiracy people love to know half the answer and tell everyone that because what they know is secret and evil that it has to be right...
Oil is sadly the most effective and to change it to anything else would take upwards of 50 years and that's just making it possible ....and in the end the cost will only slightly lower due to many other reasons...You can run something on hot garbage ...that does not make it easy to do or practical at the moment...
But it not healthy to argue against crazy...

The kinect thing I don't get ...I mean if I have it is that not enough...only thing I can think of is the no matter what settings its on the xbox treats it like a disconected controller? Maybe it runs on oil...

Sent under duress.

Noob
The internet is a luxury just like a game console not a necessity so spare me the self righteous bullshit about making "sacrifices".
The internet is definitely not a luxury in this world. It is absolutely a necessity. Try going to college without internet access or having any type of serious career without internet access. It is not possible anymore.

Thanks for the article, btw! There was actually far more info and much more useful info in the links that the article provided than in the article itself, lol. I have to admit that I am disappointed that Sony is taking that route. It seems Sony has found a way to control the access to the games in a better way than Microsoft has; i.e. without the privacy issues. But to be fair to Sony, there is a HUGE difference between filing for a patent (which is a result of R&D and may never see the light of day, it may also just be a strategic business move to prevent Microsoft or another company from getting a patent for the technology) and trying to shove the DRM policies down its customers throats like Microsoft did. Also, that patent , reportedly, has nothing to do with the PS4. That said, I will be following Sony closely to see if they follow in Microsoft's footsteps in trying to limit consumer freedoms. If they do, I will no longer be giving Sony my business either.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I could care less about their specs. I want the one that gives me the best games, period. If nintendo got their shit together and gave me a good Zelda game with proper graphics, not cartoony or cell shaded bullshit, and new Metroid Prime, then i'd get a Wii U. I could care less about M$ and Sony if they gave me that...
LOL, I remember when consoles where about the games they had. I am probably getting Xbox 180 for the XBLA titles

EGGXI

Scary Bat
Meh, I'll probably be getting the XB1 barring some kind of really terrible thing happening. It'll have all the games I've enjoyed playing for the last 5-6 years. As for the whole NSA/they're watching you stuff... I don't live in the US so I don't much care about their agencies, I don't think my agencies really much care to see how much I scratch my balls while I play, and I already have a facebook that has learned my facial features enough to tag my face in photos automatically, and I have a phone that lets people know where I am nearly 1oo% of the time anyway.

It's a little late for me to start wearing a tin-foil hat. And I just want to play KI dammit.

Except your computer or phone will have more information for them to comb through then a game console ever will.

Except 90% of "news" on the net is utter nonsense or latter proven to be factually wrong because journalists jumped the gun,lied,or only told half the truth to feed into paranoia and drum up page hits.

The internet is a luxury just like a game console not a necessity so spare me the self righteous bullshit about making "sacrifices".

Lol, it's not debatable that the Internet has more truth Lying within it than mainstream tv media that runs on corporate money.

The Internet is a luxury, but not in the same way a video game is. I have the luxury to fact check media because of the Internet. The xbox isn't going to help your knowledge about what's happening at all.

You think we would know about killing innocent civilians with drone strikes the way we do, w/o the Internet? No.

Your just making excuses for yourself so you can justify buying a xbox one and not feel bad about it. Your choice I suppose.

Also I'd say I am making many sacrifices here. I'm giving up my information to the government so I can not be ignorant to the facts, and not be brainwashed.

I'm Also giving up options in gaming, to avoid supporting a company that helped destroy the 4th amendment.

GhosT

Noob
I owned xbox 360 first also had ps3 when it came out. I always leaned to xbox mainly because of the online features that made gaming with friends online easier.

But I really hate what MS is doing and if it were not for my interest in KI I would most likely started playing stuff on a pc again and not pre ordered another console.

I dont jave a stat sheet but I doubt the kinect was a huge stand alone seller. Sure ppl got the bundle but of all xbox owners how many have kinect?

so they decide to push it down our throats. Intradesting..... lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
I dont jave a stat sheet but I doubt the kinect was a huge stand alone seller. Sure ppl got the bundle but of all xbox owners how many have kinect?
The Kinect was a massive success. They shipped over 24 million units. Your doubts are misplaced.

MS wouldn't make the Kinect a mandatory purchase if customers hated it. The casual game market seems to love it, and that's where the sales are.

Shawi

Noob
The Kinect was a massive success. They shipped over 24 million units. Your doubts are misplaced.

MS wouldn't make the Kinect a mandatory purchase if customers hated it. The casual game market seems to love it, and that's where the sales are.
This is what I see as Microsoft's greatest weakness. For me Sony are focussing first and foremost on the hardcore gamers. Those gamers that made them a success on the PS1 an PS2 days. The true gamers. Secondly they are adding to that, the entertainment aspects, to cater for the Netflix, music, video etc users.

Microsoft are working the other way around. Look at the most basic of examples. When Sony took to the stage to announce PS4 they spoke about the controller, the games and sharing ur gaming content. Microsoft discusses "Xbox on" "Xbox change channel" "Xbox record ESPN".

This is how I see the two companies and their consoles.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Underground mind control labs...genetic animal and human splicing...dulce base in New Mexico....only if most americas knew what the government really does with their money. Well its not really the government...its the federal reserve which is privately owned by the conspiritors behind the NWO.

Scarlett Viper

Let's begin the witching hour.
Lol, it's not debatable that the Internet has more truth Lying within it than mainstream tv media that runs on corporate money.

The Internet is a luxury, but not in the same way a video game is. I have the luxury to fact check media because of the Internet. The xbox isn't going to help your knowledge about what's happening at all.

You think we would know about killing innocent civilians with drone strikes the way we do, w/o the Internet? No.

Your just making excuses for yourself so you can justify buying a xbox one and not feel bad about it. Your choice I suppose.

Also I'd say I am making many sacrifices here. I'm giving up my information to the government so I can not be ignorant to the facts, and not be brainwashed.

I'm Also giving up options in gaming, to avoid supporting a company that helped destroy the 4th amendment.
And the internet runs on ad revenue.
And?No one's forcing you to buy one.
Like how we learned about Watergate or any political scandal before 2000?
No I just think you're being paranoid and overly dramatic over what is basically a toy also I don't have to justify anything least of all to you and I won't as my laptop has more info then can be gained from a game console.
no arguing against tin foil paranoia.
Then I guess you should stop gaming as Sony and Nintendo both supported SOPA.

Scarlett Viper

Let's begin the witching hour.
The internet is definitely not a luxury in this world. It is absolutely a necessity. Try going to college without internet access or having any type of serious career without internet access. It is not possible anymore.

Thanks for the article, btw! There was actually far more info and much more useful info in the links that the article provided than in the article itself, lol. I have to admit that I am disappointed that Sony is taking that route. It seems Sony has found a way to control the access to the games in a better way than Microsoft has; i.e. without the privacy issues. But to be fair to Sony, there is a HUGE difference between filing for a patent (which is a result of R&D and may never see the light of day, it may also just be a strategic business move to prevent Microsoft or another company from getting a patent for the technology) and trying to shove the DRM policies down its customers throats like Microsoft did. Also, that patent , reportedly, has nothing to do with the PS4. That said, I will be following Sony closely to see if they follow in Microsoft's footsteps in trying to limit consumer freedoms. If they do, I will no longer be giving Sony my business either.
In those cases it isn't but I highly doubt people like that would be posting frequently on a gaming forum.
Glad you liked it just showing people Sony didn't do it out of kindness.

Shawi

Noob
The casual market is a much larger audience than the self-identified hardcore market. Catering to them is not a weakness, it's good sense.
It is good sense from a money making perspective. But from a gaming perspective, the company is losing the hardcore gamers. I guess it is a calculated risk they took. The only place that the Xbox will really work as a TV and satellite hub is in the US. In the UK, you get the set-top box from Virgin Media or BT through optical fibre cables. Xbone has no optical fibre connection - whoops.

As a GAMES console - PS4.

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
It is good sense from a money making perspective. But from a gaming perspective, the company is losing the hardcore gamers.
That remains to be seen. The Xbox is still a very attractive platform for publishers, and as such, they are likely to get some very strong exclusives. Performance is likely to be near identical as far as the consumer is concerned, so thus far the primary advantage Sony has is a lower price point (near the same if you include similar peripherals) and a rapidly aging press victory at a single event.

Also, it may be my personal bias, but "good sense from a money making perspective" is really the only good sense that matters.