What's new

XBOne and PS4 Hardware "Essentially the Same"

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
That was already shot down by MS ...and restarted and shot down again...it all comes down to the fact that they said it will be there so devs can use it...so they can't make it optional or it would affect the games and make it like kinect 1 were nobody really bothered with it unless it was a kinect game...

Sent under duress.

Bummer that sucks, I will just buy a used one then if I can find one for $400. Craigslist in the ghetto is a gold mine after Xmas. PC is looking to be the winner of this generation in my eyes.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
Bummer that sucks, I will just buy a used one then if I can find one for $400. Craigslist in the ghetto is a gold mine after Xmas. PC is looking to be the winner of this generation in my eyes.
Yeah hopefully both systems work well and don't have issues...so used & price drops will be something to look for...
PC does not really have gens the same way...That being said I will never play many games on PC...just can't do it, not my thing...

Sent under duress.

Saint Op Omen

The point though, is that Microsoft has the balls to put those policies in effect in the first place. Who's to say they won't change the policies back to what they originally were? 6 months, 1 year, 2 years down the line? Don't be surprised if it happens anyway.
Plenty of execs for MS have said that they will reintroduce those policies over time and better explain the benifits of them...so in a few years it will be what they want it to be...

Sent under duress.

I don't understand this PS4 vs Xbox One crap, build your own PC if you are in it for Graphics. I spent about $800+ on building my PC (which already puts both these consoles to shame) and I can always upgrade it when I want to. You guys are using silly arguments for little differences, my advice is to pick the system you want to pick. Don't let these fanboy 'experts' skew your vote.
Except the games for PC are not as good....plus you can't lay out on the couch and play a pc game

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Yeah hopefully both systems work well and don't have issues...so used & price drops will be something to look for...
PC does not really have gens the same way...That being said I will never play many games on PC...just can't do it, not my thing...

Sent under duress.

I like both systems would love to have both but would rather have 1 and a PC though. I am getting older and I am starting to really enjoy strategy games again something which the console seriously lack.

Saint Op Omen

I like both systems would love to have both but would rather have 1 and a PC though. I am getting older and I am starting to really enjoy strategy games again something which the console seriously lack.
Yeah those are about the only game type I can play on PC ...
I am just always playing game either while also on the PC or at night it bed...so a console works better for me..

Sent under duress.

Shawi

Noob
I want someone who's throwing around the buzzword "DRM" or "DRM policies" to define what it is, WITHOUT linking to rant video/article that just throws around more buzzwords.

The real tragedy of the whole XB1 backlash is instead of raging against the actual problem (forced bundled kindect) the frothing Internet masses raged about the digital game system which was attempting to take console gaming into the future; or, you know, where PC gaming has been for years now. Yea it wasn't perfect but it had ambitious ideas which are now dead.

Also, you're fucking retarded if you think that anything the XB1 has anything that's more abusable by government agencies than your laptop/smartphone/Facebook page/anything you've ever done on the Internet ever and you're a fool if you think you can ever use the Internet and not be tracked.

*Ed Snowden reveals NSA is collecting mass amounts of data on citizens
DRM is not a buzzword lol. It literally means "digital rights management", which I'm sure you knew. Any action/policy taken by an organisation or company to limit or put a restriction on your digital rights, would usually fall under DRM. For example, if I buy a DVD, I have to OWN that copy of the DVD - it is mine, I paid for it. For the seller to tell me that if I buy it, I cant to this or that with it, that'd be considered a limit on my digital rights to the DVD and so falls under digital rights management.

Look at the iPhone in the US. Jailbreaking your iPhone in the US is not illegal. It is your iPhone, you paid for it so you can do what you please with it. However, if you are to then go and use that iPhone to break copy-write laws, then you are breaking the law, which is illegal.

Basically what Microsoft want to do is to stop people from "doing what they want" with their games and digital content in the FEAR that the new console will end up like the 360 - a highly pirated console.

What Sony did different is to actually put in a solid framework for preventing the hacking of the console which was not broken down until the last two years of the consoles lifetime. Microsoft want to stop you sharing the game you bought and you own because of the fear that you will go and pirate it for everyone, even though such practices have very much died down since the PS1 era.

I hope this helps you understand what DRM is. You can find more if you search DRM in wikipedia.

Reactions: 337

GhosT

Noob
People seem to forget the ps3 launch.. it was regarded as xbox master as far as power and graphics. I dont see a big difference. What I do see is a laggy console. Now if im gonna sit here and eat up all the same stories I was fed the first time around I would be stupid.

Wait and see people nobody knows until we get our hands on them

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Saint Op Omen

People seem to forget the ps3 launch.. it was regarded as xbox master as far as power and graphics. I dont see a big difference. What I do see is a laggy console. Now if im gonna sit here and eat up all the same stories I was fed the first time around I would be stupid.

Wait and see people nobody knows until we get our hands on them

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
As far as exclusive games I see a difference with PS3...
They only had a issue with multiplatform games due to the hardware being complicated to port to...this time with everything being almost the same it will be easy and more attention can be payed to making the game great over learning new tech...
and while I don't like the PS3s os and some things take forever...I have the same issues with 360s dashboard since the lastest changes...the ads seems to load fast but my lists take forever...
I hope they both learn and improve this time...

Sent under duress.

Gurpwnder

Saikyo Student
The point though, is that Microsoft has the balls to put those policies in effect in the first place. Who's to say they won't change the policies back to what they originally were? 6 months, 1 year, 2 years down the line? Don't be surprised if it happens anyway.

Well, if they want to keep the consumer's already shaky faith in them, they'll have to avoid these policies. Also, they intend to sell consoles for many years, they can't implement those policies again and hope to maintain their expected sales.

Saint Op Omen

Well, if they want to keep the consumer's already shaky faith in them, they'll have to avoid these policies. Also, they intend to sell consoles for many years, they can't implement those policies again and hope to maintain their expected sales.
Problem is they view these things differently then you do...they see them as great benifits that you just don't understand...so the marketing went wrong and they had to pull back to sell the system...they will add them slowly again pushing the benifits next time...they are already talkin about how to do this and its not just MS...
If the upside is there then it can be a good thing but not how it was or was presented...

Sent under duress.

No, I didn't miss it. I think the fact that they would even have the balls to put forth such policies tells you all you need to know about Microsoft and where they are going in the future. I'm not gonna support the death of my rights as a consumer let alone fund it as well.
Microsoft did the right thing by reversing its policies and listening to its consumers. That a big thing for a corporation to do. Admitting they botched it is a very difficult thing to do when your reputation is as prominent as their's is.

That in itself gives me enough confidence in the company to consider the Xbox One. So ultimately for me, i will be waiting for a few months before buying into one or the other and let the games be the deciding factor.

If you shun a corporation who corrected their mistakes, for making those mistakes to begin with (and ALL companies screw up on occasion) what is there to entice them to fix the problem at all? They answered consumer demand and you still shit on them. Its attitudes like yours that hurt the consumer voice. Its why we often get ignored.

Sent from my Gameboy Color using Tapatalk 2

Saint Op Omen

Microsoft did the right thing by reversing its policies and listening to its consumers. That a big thing for a corporation to do. Admitting they botched it is a very difficult thing to do when your reputation is as prominent as their's is.

That in itself gives me enough confidence in the company to consider the Xbox One. So ultimately for me, i will be waiting for a few months before buying into one or the other and let the games be the deciding factor.

If you shun a corporation who corrected their mistakes, for making those mistakes to begin with (and ALL companies screw up on occasion) what is there to entice them to fix the problem at all? They answered consumer demand and you still shit on them. Its attitudes like yours that hurt the consumer voice. Its why we often get ignored.

Sent from my Gameboy Color using Tapatalk 2
Awwwww ain't that cute.....but its wrong..

Sent under duress.

And gave the government their encryption codes so they could access all the information on their consumers. Sony wasn't on the list leaked out for giving away your information.

I'm going to support Sony and Nintendo, despite nintendo not doing everything I want, I still appreciate they didn't just give the government a back door to our info.

People seem to not understand the danger of an always on kinect, microsoft giving encryption codes to the NSA. Even if you can now offline the games, plenty of people are gonna "meh" and leave it plugged into the internet.

The 4th amendment is destroyed by the NSA and Microsoft supported them. It's there to protect journalists and honest people trying to get into government.

With how powerful corporate america has become, if you don't think they will "accidently leak" information about good journalists that give bad companies bad press, or a politican actually trying to do good.

and they find that ONE tiny thing you did in your home or at work, or in your car. or that one controversial thing you said in the heat of a moment but didn't mean it. And they won't run that story on these people 24/7 to change public opinion on them?

I know where my morals stand, and it's not with microsoft anymore. Sadly I have to use a computer to gain the knowledge I have about what's really going on, because the internet is the best place for information that isn't tampered with.

No thank you main stream media and your propaganda.

I acknowledge that government can track me on my internet activities.

But the difference here for anyone saying I'm a hypocrit for using the internet and not buying Xbox1. I'm sacrificing fro them getting information on me, so I can get REAL information. If you're getting Xbox1, you're letting them get information because you want to play games.

One is for the truth about how the world works, one is for your personal enjoyment so spare me any criticism on that front.

Saint Op Omen

But the difference here for anyone saying I'm a hypocrit for using the internet and not buying Xbox1. I'm sacrificing fro them getting information on me, so I can get REAL information. If you're getting Xbox1, you're letting them get information because you want to play games.

One is for the truth about how the world works, one is for your personal enjoyment so spare me any criticism on that front.
Yeah...
I think the thing is a lot of people see the DRM reversal as them playing nice but it has nothing to do with some peoples issues...
And saying you are tracked everywhere is not an answer to the fact that MS does suport the NSA and the policies that are making that okay...
So for a lot of people it is MS and not the xbone that is an issue and nothing xbox does can change that...some people won't support the companies that suport taking their rights away...
Sent under duress.

Gurpwnder

Saikyo Student
Problem is they view these things differently then you do...they see them as great benifits that you just don't understand...so the marketing went wrong and they had to pull back to sell the system...they will add them slowly again pushing the benifits next time...they are already talkin about how to do this and its not just MS...
If the upside is there then it can be a good thing but not how it was or was presented...

Oh, I understand that Microsoft and its publishers are going to take some losses with these new policy changes. It's just that I think they're aware of how the consumers feel about the old policies and it's very unlikely that they'll just put them back again. As soon as Microsoft starts adding them back, they lose the faith of many who already bought the system and scare away many who are likely to buy their system. Any time a company does something wrong, it's remembered for a loong time - just look at the PS3 hacking that happened years ago. Many people still bring that point up in 360 VS PS3 debates. If MS brings those policies back, it will leave a very sour taste in the mouths of the consumers and people will be extremely unlikely to buy any future Microsoft gaming products.

Scarlett Viper

Let's begin the witching hour.
Yeah...
I think the thing is a lot of people see the DRM reversal as them playing nice but it has nothing to do with some peoples issues...
And saying you are tracked everywhere is not an answer to the fact that MS does suport the NSA and the policies that are making that okay...
So for a lot of people it is MS and not the xbone that is an issue and nothing xbox does can change that...some people won't support the companies that suport taking their rights away...
Sent under duress.
Or we aren't deluded enough to think corporate entities actually care about the consumer or that MS is the first or will be the last to try something like this.

Except it is if you're using the internet,a webcam or any type of phone and still cry about possibly being monitored .And Sony and Nintendo supported SOPA your point?

If EA's taught me anything it's that most people who say they've lost trust in and won't support a company will still buy it's products and bitch about them.

Scarlett Viper

And gave the government their encryption codes so they could access all the information on their consumers. Sony wasn't on the list leaked out for giving away your information.

I'm going to support Sony and Nintendo, despite nintendo not doing everything I want, I still appreciate they didn't just give the government a back door to our info.

People seem to not understand the danger of an always on kinect, microsoft giving encryption codes to the NSA. Even if you can now offline the games, plenty of people are gonna "meh" and leave it plugged into the internet.

The 4th amendment is destroyed by the NSA and Microsoft supported them. It's there to protect journalists and honest people trying to get into government.

With how powerful corporate america has become, if you don't think they will "accidently leak" information about good journalists that give bad companies bad press, or a politican actually trying to do good.

and they find that ONE tiny thing you did in your home or at work, or in your car. or that one controversial thing you said in the heat of a moment but didn't mean it. And they won't run that story on these people 24/7 to change public opinion on them?

I know where my morals stand, and it's not with microsoft anymore. Sadly I have to use a computer to gain the knowledge I have about what's really going on, because the internet is the best place for information that isn't tampered with.

No thank you main stream media and your propaganda.

Except your computer or phone will have more information for them to comb through then a game console ever will.

Except 90% of "news" on the net is utter nonsense or latter proven to be factually wrong because journalists jumped the gun,lied,or only told half the truth to feed into paranoia and drum up page hits.

The internet is a luxury just like a game console not a necessity so spare me the self righteous bullshit about making "sacrifices".

Saint Op Omen

Oh, I understand that Microsoft and its publishers are going to take some losses with these new policy changes. It's just that I think they're aware of how the consumers feel about the old policies and it's very unlikely that they'll just put them back again. As soon as Microsoft starts adding them back, they lose the faith of many who already bought the system and scare away many who are likely to buy their system. Any time a company does something wrong, it's remembered for a loong time - just look at the PS3 hacking that happened years ago. Many people still bring that point up in 360 VS PS3 debates. If MS brings those policies back, it will leave a very sour taste in the mouths of the consumers and people will be extremely unlikely to buy any future Microsoft gaming products.
It really has very little to do with MS listening to anybody but publishers and investors who got scared that Sony was going so agressive after them and pubs started to wobble in support so they had to....they will bring the policies back ...they will better sell them to us as something good and people will still buy the products...and sony will apply the same type policies over time also...if you think anything otherwise or that this was by consumer request you are sadly mistaken and will be sad in the future ...its just buisness and good buisness tells you what you want ...not the otherway around...they were just in a bad situation to do that at the moment...

Or we aren't deluded enough to think corporate entities actually care about the consumer or that MS is the first or will be the last to try something like this.

Except it is if you're using the internet,a webcam or any type of phone and still cry about possibly being monitored .And Sony and Nintendo supported SOPA your point?

If EA's taught me anything it's that most people who say they've lost trust in and won't support a company will still buy it's products and bitch about them.
Yep people do like to bitch ...even a little more then they like to just enjoy things...
I do agree with points on both sides but at the end of the day I really don't give a damn about the buinesses or the consumers I just care about if this thing will bring me more enjoyment then headaches...and so far neither has let me down...
Sent under duress.

Wrong
Ps4-8 ram gddr5
Xbox 1 -8 ram ddr3
Ps4- tflops 1.84
Xbox 1-1.2 tfops
Wtf same ???
And xbox 1 - 3 gb for the dashboard 5 for games
Ps4- as I remember 7 gb for games I might be wrong
But still
ITS NOT THE SAME !
+ I'm getting both so don't call me a fanboy
But ms fucked up that's all I'm saying

Sent from. SECRET using Tapatalk

Scarlett Viper

It really has very little to do with MS listening to anybody but publishers and investors who got scared that Sony was going so agressive after them and pubs started to wobble in support so they had to....they will bring the policies back ...they will better sell them to us as something good and people will still buy the products...and sony will apply the same type policies over time also...if you think anything otherwise or that this was by consumer request you are sadly mistaken and will be sad in the future ...its just buisness and good buisness tells you what you want ...not the otherway around...they were just in a bad situation to do that at the moment...

Yep people do like to bitch ...even a little more then they like to just enjoy things...
I do agree with points on both sides but at the end of the day I really don't give a damn about the buinesses or the consumers I just care about if this thing will bring me more enjoyment then headaches...and so far neither has let me down...
Sent under duress.
I will say if those policies become the norm I'll switch to PC gaming atleast then I'll have access to mods and fantasy mmos.

Scarlett Viper

Wrong
Ps4-8 ram gddr5
Xbox 1 -8 ram ddr3
Ps4- tflops 1.84
Xbox 1-1.2 tfops
Wtf same ???
And xbox 1 - 3 gb for the dashboard 5 for games
Ps4- as I remember 7 gb for games I might be wrong
But still
ITS NOT THE SAME !
+ I'm getting both so don't call me a fanboy
But ms fucked up that's all I'm saying

Sent from. SECRET using Tapatalk
Right and the PS3 was more powerful than the 360 yet there were just minimal differences between the majority of games for them in fact some ran better on the 360.

Mt Mutombo

Banned
Okay so you have said "it's nice to see it verified by an expert" - Nothing has been verified by anyone. He clearly states (see the link in op) that "I haven't done really rigorous benchmarking". So no tests have been done from which he can base his comments.

Lets assume that he is making this assumption that both are "essentially the same" based upon his experiences as a co-founder of id Software, which is acceptable.

There is a significant, as you say, theoretical difference, between the RAM used in the two devices. GDDR5 (in PS4) is a much faster operating random access memory for graphics processing, however, if the system architecture is developed efficiently, it can be less powerful than GDDR3 (in Xbone). So for this reason, no worries about "theoretical RAM specs" can be put at ease until the consoles are released and developers have had significant time developing for the platforms.

The MAJOR difference between the two consoles is the GPU. PS4 has a 50% higher max performance than the Xbone. Now because neither console matches high end PC specs, a comparison of performance between two GPUs (one having a 50% higher max performance) can be made on a PC. Although it doesn't give a direct difference between PS4 and Xbone, what it can do, is show exactly how much of a difference a 50% increase in GPU max performance can do.

Digital Foundry conducted this exact experiment and the results can be found in the following video: NB - The numbers on either side that are ever changing are the frames per second. Anything below approximately 26 frames per second, will translate to you noticing that the video is not fluid and you will notice a stutter/lag/jump in the video (the number 26 will vary from person to person and depends on many factors but is approx. 26).

As you can see, a 50% GPU max performance boost, does NOT give a direct 50% performance boost, but rather an approximate 25% performance increase. So in any areas with explosions or high amounts of action on the screen and lots for the GPU to compute, the PS4 will demonstrate an ~ 25% improvement in the frame rate which could well be the difference between you noticing a stutter or not.

For 50% better GPU = ~25% performance increase

So for anyone out there who is to be blinded by this guys comments, and for those who think that these technical specs are something silly, please think again.

Source of information:
1. http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/162612-ps4-vs-xbox-one-performance-compared-using-representative-pc-hardware
2. Own geeky knowledge lol
Thank you, very insightful!

Mt Mutombo

Banned
I could care less about their specs. I want the one that gives me the best games, period. If nintendo got their shit together and gave me a good Zelda game with proper graphics, not cartoony or cell shaded bullshit, and new Metroid Prime, then i'd get a Wii U. I could care less about M$ and Sony if they gave me that...