What's new

XBL and Kaillera UMK3 Tournaments this Saturday

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
With the one year anniversary of the site upon us, I was thinking about running a small, and one day only tournament for UMK3 on XBL maybe Saturday, coordinated through the chat room on the site. The problem is, I'm not going to be around until a bit later because of work, and I really want to have a tournament, aside from that, running them more regularly in general.

The idea is, no pre-registration sign ups, just show up in the chat room on Saturday at a certain time, reg there, like a real tournament and I'll have some guys I can depend on work it out, take down winners, etc. Hopefully I'll be on before it's over and can record the finals, or other people who can record could be on. If it doesn't start until 10 or 11PM then I'll definitely be there and be able to run the whole thing.

There are a LOT of people on every Satuday night so I think it could work out. Log into UMK's chatroom, brackets can be made by a certain time. If you're not there, you're not in. Maybe limit it to 16 players. This way it could get done in one night. It'd be pretty fast considering all match can be played at once. Again, the point is not to make a big ordeal out of it, just to see who can get there on a specific night.

Show up on Saturday, play in the tournament. If there are problems with the chat or people want to play and don't have access to a computer in the same house as their 360 or what not, we can work it out. Just start posting ideas, but I need volunteers to help make sure it goes smoothly.

We can establish more rules, regulations, deadlines and what not in the next few days, but this is like a flash mob tournament and I think it'll work out well.

I will be able to play on saturday night, so count me in. Probably won't make it past the first round but it's all good.

I can help with the tourny if needed. But what if theres more tham 16 people in the chat room? How will we decide who plays and what not?

Im guessing by join time, all that needs to be done are some logs to be kept.

Im all for the idea btw, if there is a way I can contribute Id love to.

Re: XBL Tournament this Saturday?

Shock said:
If there are problems with the chat or people want to play and don't have access to a computer in the same house as their 360 or what not, we can work it out.
Indeed. Clearly to partake in the tourney they'll have to be with one at a time.

Since joining this forum's chat will be a necessity for drawing players and brackets it'll have to be first come first serve and when they're incorporated and brackets drawn up, they can logout. Im guessing after the first round a chosen user can PM the contestants with instant results and new matchups as the tourney progresses ?

Ideas ?

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
OK well at least people are responding. Tournament doesn't have to be 16 players, there's always ways to get everyone in. 16 might be a good cut off based on how many people will actually show up. We'll figure out a time frame over the next couple days. Remember I might not even be around in time for it. It's just a matter of people showing up to the chat at the same time, and being there until they are eliminated. As long as there is one person around who is fit to organize a list of players, that's all we need. If anyone is around who can record, that'd be great. I think we can get some serious online ranking system at the very least on here and we need multiple tournaments.

I can probably get on here around 9-9:30 and with everyone here at once all playing eachother, a tournament won't take much time at all. The first round if all played at the same time would literally take a few minutes to finish. Essentially, a 4 round tournament with no losers bracket would take about 30 minutes to finish. With losers, maybe 50 minutes. The idea of just having people show up, rather than booking players and only playing if they are available is sort of like having a real tournament, except online you have unlimited machines.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
OK, so I figure maybe a 9:00PM chat room entry time or something, and we'll get things going from there. If it works like that then I can be around to coordinate.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Also, how do you guys feel about a Kaillera tournament as well? Dreemer has a private server that if you play using LAN with two stable connections, the gameplay is as good as it gets. I have had matches with other players with 80 or 90 ms who say there's no noticable lag on it. It might have to kept to a limited number of players in the room however.

Anyway I know there are some Kaillera players on here so we can arrange that as well.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'll do a mass email tonight with the collective info and post it on the main page. See how many heads we can get on here. DreemerNJ and I will be here at my house after 9 most likely.

G

XBL and Kaillera UMK3 Tournaments Saturday June, 16

UMK will be holding "flash mob" tournaments on both XBL and Kaillera using a show up and play basis Saturday night June, 16th. It's simple, log in to ultimatemk.com and go into the chat room at or about 9PM and sign up there. Tournaments will begin as soon as there are enough players. If you have problems using the chat, you can use the PM system to establish that you wish to take part.

All rules and what not can be explained as the tournament begins with a bulletin board and the brackets can be layed out and updated as we go. The number of matches per round will depend on the amount of players, and double elimination may be possible. The main idea of this is to get everyone who wants to play, or at least can play, to be on at the same time. It doesn't have to be a lot of players, but at least something to establish some kind of tournament scene that could eventually become weekly. We should be able to start using tournaments for some kind of ranking system on the site.

For Kaillera we have an excellent server to use and so long as we keep it on limited usage players can have high quality play on it so long as they are using the correct versions of Mame and Kaillera. We can supply easy Mame cheats and directions to enable hidden characters.

Anyone who wishes to volunteer to help out in coordinating, refereeing, recording, etc, either post in the thread or PM Shock. Any questions please post them in the thread for now.

Thanks players, hope to see you there.

Shock and DreemerNJ